Here be dragons

• 55 Replies
?

dutchy

Re: Here be dragons
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 07:27:43 AM »
All i want to know is....were they cheering like crazy when the docking was successfull ?  ::)
It seems like it ;):

SpaceX’s Crew Dragon Successfully Docks With ISS | Sunday TODAY, 14,227 views by TODAY
And why not?
It was a pretty tense 24 hours or so, hoping all those calculations were done correctly.

But little people with closed minds can't understand how it is even possible so they just sit on the sidelines and ridicule everything ::).
Ahhhh it reminds me so much of another special event...

When Kim jong-un conquered North Korea's highest mountain peak, Mount Paektu.
the leader reached the top of the 9,022-foot (2,750-meter) peak with hundreds of fighter pilots and party officials cheering like crazy when Kim reached the top.
 Elaborating on his experience he said, "Climbing Mount Paektu provides precious mental pabulum more powerful than any kind of nuclear weapon.”

But little people with closed minds can't understand how it is even possible so they just sit on the sidelines and cherry pick certain events to ridicule as compensation for those events they simply have to swallow ::).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:37:40 AM by dutchy »

rvlvr

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Chinese scammers:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/03/asia/china-plans-solar-power-in-space-intl/index.html
What makes you think that they are scammers? Plenty of others have investigated solar power generation in space.
You really think I think they are scammers? I hoped you knew better!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
Shuttle mission, about $450m per. The US pays Russia something like $80m per astronaut/seat on Soyuz. A SpaceX Falcon 9 is $62m per launch, seats and inflight entertainment included.
According to NASA, Crew Dragon and Boeing Starliner flights are contracted at about $58 million per seat.
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ccp_olia_fact_sheet_final_508-10-27.pdf
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
Shuttle mission, about $450m per. The US pays Russia something like $80m per astronaut/seat on Soyuz. A SpaceX Falcon 9 is $62m per launch, seats and inflight entertainment included.
According to NASA, Crew Dragon and Boeing Starliner flights are contracted at about $58 million per seat.
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ccp_olia_fact_sheet_final_508-10-27.pdf

I couldn't find the per seat figure, just going on the SpaceX per launch number. I think the overarching goal is to stop paying the Ruskies the $80m and save $22m. Also, what astronaut wants to slam down somewhere in the god forsaken Siberian steppes where your first refreshment back on terra firma is unpasteuried goat milk when they could plop down in a cushy ocean and be treated with a nice glass of orange TANG?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
Chinese scammers:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/03/asia/china-plans-solar-power-in-space-intl/index.html
What makes you think that they are scammers? Plenty of others have investigated solar power generation in space.
You really think I think they are scammers? I hoped you knew better!
I did not say that you "think they are scammers". I simply asked "What makes you think that they are scammers?" after you posted:
"Chinese scammers: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/03/asia/china-plans-solar-power-in-space-intl/index.html".

rvlvr

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »

rvlvr

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 11:12:39 PM »
I think the overarching goal is to stop paying the Ruskies the $80m and save $22m. Also, what astronaut wants to slam down somewhere in the god forsaken Siberian steppes where your first refreshment back on terra firma is unpasteuried goat milk when they could plop down in a cushy ocean and be treated with a nice glass of orange TANG?
Make it A&W Root Beer, and we have a deal!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 11:57:30 PM »
I think the overarching goal is to stop paying the Ruskies the $80m and save $22m. Also, what astronaut wants to slam down somewhere in the god forsaken Siberian steppes where your first refreshment back on terra firma is unpasteuried goat milk when they could plop down in a cushy ocean and be treated with a nice glass of orange TANG?
Make it A&W Root Beer, and we have a deal!
Nah! Make it BUNDABERG GINGER BEER brewed in Queensland and sold worldwide.

They do make brewed BUNDABERG ROOT BEER as well if you insist.

rvlvr

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:29 AM »
I’ve had Bundaberg Ginger Beer, and it is tasty! Most stores do not carry it, though. So having one is not a common occurrence, sadly.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 01:46:50 AM »
I’ve had Bundaberg Ginger Beer, and it is tasty! Most stores do not carry it, though. So having one is not a common occurrence, sadly.
No problem here near the source of supply.

rvlvr

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:56 AM »
Sometimes I do envy you, dammit!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 06:48:08 AM »

I couldn't find the per seat figure, just going on the SpaceX per launch number. I think the overarching goal is to stop paying the Ruskies the $80m and save $22m.
I don't think it's so much the money as not wanting to be at the mercy of a former cold war enemy, especially with the political situation being what it is today.  That and the prestige of being able to launch astronauts from your home soil is always a good thing too.

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »
Another case of scepti hand waving.
Either provide values and numbers as why it is physically infeasible or stfu.
Just because you cant comprehend doesnt mean its impossible.
How about this - you understand the physics behind electricity and how your computer's cpu, ram, and memory work?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »

I couldn't find the per seat figure, just going on the SpaceX per launch number. I think the overarching goal is to stop paying the Ruskies the $80m and save $22m.
I don't think it's so much the money as not wanting to be at the mercy of a former cold war enemy, especially with the political situation being what it is today.  That and the prestige of being able to launch astronauts from your home soil is always a good thing too.

Yep, agree on all points. The money is just the optics of paying Russia in this environment.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
Live stream (for now, at least)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:32:49 AM by markjo »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »

Yep, agree on all points. The money is just the optics of paying Russia in this environment.
It's more than the money and being beholden to a not too friendly power. There's this:
Quote from: Bloomberg
Russia to stop flying U.S. astronauts to the International Space Station in April, increasing pressure on NASA
DALLAS - Russia’s contract to ferry NASA astronauts to the International Space Station aboard Soyuz rockets will end in April, Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov told reporters on Friday.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Soyuz flight planned for April 2019 “will complete the fulfillment of our obligations under a contract with NASA related to the delivery of U.S. astronauts to the ISS and their return from the station,” Borisov said at the Energia Rocket and Space Corp., reported by TASS, Russia’s official news agency.

In September 2014, NASA awarded Boeing and Elon Musk’s SpaceX a combined $6.8 billion to revive the U.S.’s ability to fly to the station. SpaceX plans to fly Demo-2, its first test flight with a crew, in April 2019, and Boeing’s Crew Test Flight is now slated for mid-2019, according to a new schedule that NASA released Aug. 2.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This has since been extended:
Quote from: Sputnik International, TECH
https://sputniknews.com/science/201902121072328776-usa-russia-iss-soyuz-missions-extension/
MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The United States will extend the use of Russian Soyuz spacecraft to bring NASA astronauts to the International Space Station and ensure their return to Earth until April 2020, a Russian space industry source told Sputnik.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 01:40:18 AM »
Scepti, it's because these people are capable of doing maths and engineering a whole lot better than you. Nothing Elon, et all, has done has been "sudden" as you try to make it out to be. The process of learning and experimentation to get the Tesla car into space has been about 4 thousand years in the make.

Quote from: Issac Newton
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Turkish joke. A prisoner goes to the jail's library to borrow a book. The librarian says: "We don't have this book, but we have its author"

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2019, 10:59:14 PM »
Chinese scammers:

Invest in Heavy Duty extension cords. Really, really long extension cords.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2019, 12:56:37 AM »
It looks as though the Crew Dragon breathes fire :o and orange smoke ::).

SpaceX's Crew Dragon Capsule Destroyed In Engine Test, 790,611 views Scott Manley, 872K subscribers

It's interesting to note that this video has 790,611 views and Scott Manley's YouTube channel has 872K subscribers.
Compare this with one the the flat-earth video gurus, Jeranism, whose most popular recent video had 73,421 views and has 144,834 subscribers.

There must be a lot of NASA fanboys ;D out there.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2019, 01:37:06 AM »
bump to 1m:04s

that acceleration is brutal!   :o

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2019, 02:04:40 AM »
If you were escaping from an exploding rocket that acceleration might be better than being burnt to a crisp in:

SpaceX - Static Fire Anomaly - AMOS-6 - 09-01-2016, 6,257,935 views by USLaunchReport

The action starts at about 1:10.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:40 AM »
awesome machines

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2019, 03:39:58 AM »
awesome machines
Especially if you were one that was sitting on the tip of a, hopefully, controlled explosion of 770,000 litres kerosene and 1,204,000 litres of liquid oxygen.
And that's only the first stage, the second had 984,000 litres of liquid hydrogen and 303,000 litres of LOX.

I gather the Saturn V felt as though it was trying to shape itself to pieces, though none did.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »

...when you no longer wish to be attached to 3,261,000 liters of flammable liquids!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

...when you no longer wish to be attached to 3,261,000 liters of flammable liquids!

OK, brutal is relative.