If NASA tomorrow announces there's a flat earth

• 12 Replies
If NASA tomorrow announces there's a flat earth
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Would you believe them?  This is more a question for rounder earthers who are completely convinced of the roundness of the earth due to all the observations they've made etc.   

Re: If NASA tomorrow announces there's a flat earth
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
Would you believe them?  This is more a question for rounder earthers who are completely convinced of the roundness of the earth due to all the observations they've made etc.

You seem to think that all people base all their beliefs on what they are told.

That's interesting.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Depends on what's in the announcement. If it included a flat map with no gaps, correct distances, and a scale; a plausible explanation for eclipses, sextant, equatorial mount, star trails, 24 light in Antarctica in the winter; explanation of how they discovered it and why announce it now; an explanation of why the experiments and diagrams in science classes logically established a 99.999999% probability (aka true) - then I would believe them, or a FE. As clear and consistent as a schoolbook explaining seasons, eclipses, 24 hour sun at poles, etc.

And I have asked for an explanation of these things on FES, sextant/north star, map with a scale (NEVER have seen FE map with scale, please point me at one, ain't in the FAQ), etc. Got no answer or nonsense.

On the other hand, if the announcement went "The earth is flat and it is the greatest earth ever, much bigger than the other planets, the greatest earth ever known. Any reports that earth is round is fake news", then I would not believe them, all I would know from that is who appointed the new head of NASA.
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
Would I believe them? NO!

Unless they or someone else came up with some better explanation than a near spherical earth for all the simple observations anyone can make.

But I see that as so unlikely that I've ignored that possibility.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 02:41:46 AM »
Well, they will have to explain why all observations agree with a spherical earth.

This also goes for anyone who wants to claim the earth is flat.

Because we simply "don't accept what we are told" . We follow the proofs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:15:45 AM by SpaceCadet »

?

rze

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:35:37 AM »
Flat Earth model is against all laws of physics,so NO i won't believe it.Also not a single scientist would ever think that the Earth is flat.If NASA "announced" that the Earth is flat ,then that means there isn't any space and Earth would be created by "god" on a pancake model with a dome over it ,which is a total nonsense.Even flat earthers can't answer 80% of the questions they are asked.Flat earthers rely on guessing ,which is a proof they are using their imagination and not a single fact or proof.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »

That's interesting.

Most people do.  It's all about what they've been fed to believe. I'm not sure flat earth is true but I'm open minded about it.  A lot of people dismiss it without even looking into it because it goes against everything they've been taught to believe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »

That's interesting.

Most people do.  It's all about what they've been fed to believe. I'm not sure flat earth is true but I'm open minded about it.  A lot of people dismiss it without even looking into it because it goes against everything they've been taught to believe.
I and most that debate the issue dismiss the flat earth based on what we observe both by eye and measurement plus what we read that fits these observations.

But from what I have seen, the only "evidence" most flat earthers have is that the "horizon looks flat" but that fits either a flat or a Globe earth.
Then the majority of flat earthers get the rest of their "evidence" from flat earth YouTube videos made by people who don't or won't understand the Globe.

I fail to see the difference between "what they've been fed to believe" and being "spoon-fed on YouTube".

Some YouTube flat earthers are at last doing better experiments and, guess what? They fit the rotating Globe, not the flat earth!
But they are so close-minded that they try to hide and cover up their results.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »

But from what I have seen, the only "evidence" most flat earthers have is that the "horizon looks flat" but that fits either a flat or a Globe earth.
Then the majority of flat earthers get the rest of their "evidence" from flat earth YouTube videos made by people who don't or won't understand the Globe.

Well people have the choice on what they want to watch on youtube.   A flat earth video just doesn't suddenly pop up.  A lot of 'Globers' don't understand the globe either.  I'm sure there's 'Globers' out there who think the sun revolves around a global Earth and have other misconceptions too.

I fail to see the difference between "what they've been fed to believe" and being "spoon-fed on YouTube".

Some YouTube flat earthers are at last doing better experiments and, guess what? They fit the rotating Globe, not the flat earth!

I've found some interesting arguments as far as flat earth goes which have raised lots of questions and doubts.  I'm still quite new to the whole 'Flat Earth' theory and not convinced as yet.  It's connection to spirituality is what I find interesting.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:41:19 PM by mystic28 »

BoZZat

• I eat snot.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »
NASA is just one of many space agencies in the world. If they suddenly turned around and said the Earth was flat, other space agencies would say it's too early for an April Fool's joke.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »
What if Bigfoot is nothing more than a large colony of bees clumping together in a bigfoot shape just to confuse humans?

...probably magnitudes more likely than NASA claiming the Earth is flat.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 04:35:51 AM »

Well people have the choice on what they want to watch on youtube.   A flat earth video just doesn't suddenly pop up.  A lot of 'Globers' don't understand the globe either.  I'm sure there's 'Globers' out there who think the sun revolves around a global Earth and have other misconceptions too.

Yes.  They are called geocentrists, but they haven't managed to gain the publicity flat earthers have managed over the last few years.  Probably because it's a bit less far removed from the norm.  Most flat earthers' beliefs seem to be geocentric, so it's kind of a subdivision.

Of course what most people understand has little bearing on what we understand as a society.  Most people have little or no understanding of electronics, software, fibre optics, etc, but here we are chatting by computer from all around the world.  What most do have is enough confidence in science that we couldn't have got something so basic wrong, and enough faith in humanity that there probably isn't a vast international conspiracy by academics and educators, who are among the least likely people to be lying to the world.

I've found some interesting arguments as far as flat earth goes which have raised lots of questions and doubts.  I'm still quite new to the whole 'Flat Earth' theory and not convinced as yet. 

Then I suggest you look for the answers to your questions.  But this should mean treating flat earther claims with at least as much sceptism.  Personally, I've yet to come across any flat earth question or "proof" that doesn't have a regular answer in the heliocentric model.  If the answers you find aren't what you are hoping for, at least you'll probably learn something.

It's connection to spirituality is what I find interesting.

I never really got this argument, but I'm not very spiritual myself.  Except that if the earth really is flat, there'd probably have to be a God, because it would make so little sense without some divine force behind it.  But most religious people don't seem to have any real problems with the heliocentric model and their faith.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
I am yet to come across a single flat earth argument that is truly interesting. At beet, it is something I haven't learnt the answer to. More likely, it's an outright lie.

I also personally have issues with people who say "there are fine arguments on both sides" to paraphrase a president. That is just buying into conspiracy theories. And while there are many conspiracies in this fine planet of ours, the shape of the earth and the accumulated knowledge of all history is not one of them.