What causes roundness?

• 17 Replies
What causes roundness?
« on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
As I understand it, the Earth is flat like a plate, but it's also round like a plate too, with the North Pole at the center and the ice wall of Antarctica going in a circle all the way around the outer edge.

One day looking up at the sky I noticed that the Sun and Moon are also round. With a good telescope you can see that Mars and Jupiter look round too. Are they flat round plates like the Earth?

What causes them to be round this way? Is there a universal force of roundness or something like that? I looked around the FAQ and forums but didn't find a good explanation for this. It would be great if someone would help me out here.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
Re: What causes roundness?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:48:22 AM »
As I understand it, the Earth is flat like a plate, but it's also round like a plate too, with the North Pole at the center and the ice wall of Antarctica going in a circle all the way around the outer edge.

One day looking up at the sky I noticed that the Sun and Moon are also round. With a good telescope you can see that Mars and Jupiter look round too. Are they flat round plates like the Earth?

What causes them to be round this way? Is there a universal force of roundness or something like that? I looked around the FAQ and forums but didn't find a good explanation for this. It would be great if someone would help me out here.

I strongly recommend you either buy your own telescobe, or use amateur observers to observe planets.

We don't know their being round or not, because we could not observed them while revolving. We only see they are annular, remained part is about your imagination.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
I didn't say the Sun and Moon were spheres. I said they were round. Perhaps I should have said "circular." You don't need telescopes to see that they are round like a circle. Of course the Moon is only "round" when it is full, but that's another issue.

Also, I do have not only my own amateur telescopes, but during my astronomy classes in college had the opportunity to use very big telescopes as well. Looking at, for example, Mars and Jupiter with powerful telescopes you can plainly see that they are circular. Also, looking at the FE map of the Earth, it is circular too.

So to rephrase my original question, what is the principle that causes the Sun, Moon, and planets to be circular instead of squares or some odd shape? Is this just a coincidence?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:12:54 AM »
They spin.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
I didn't say the Sun and Moon were spheres. I said they were round. Perhaps I should have said "circular." You don't need telescopes to see that they are round like a circle. Of course the Moon is only "round" when it is full, but that's another issue.

Also, I do have not only my own amateur telescopes, but during my astronomy classes in college had the opportunity to use very big telescopes as well. Looking at, for example, Mars and Jupiter with powerful telescopes you can plainly see that they are circular. Also, looking at the FE map of the Earth, it is circular too.

So to rephrase my original question, what is the principle that causes the Sun, Moon, and planets to be circular instead of squares or some odd shape? Is this just a coincidence?

Is not the shape of the world also circular? According to majority, it is so. Majority of flat earth theories agree it as circular. I don't see a weirdness here. but the fact that they are circular does not mean that the world will be absolutely circular, but strengthen it. Because the earth is unique.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:55:23 AM »
Is not the shape of the world also circular? According to majority, it is so. Majority of flat earth theories agree it as circular. I don't see a weirdness here. but the fact that they are circular does not mean that the world will be absolutely circular, but strengthen it. Because the earth is unique.

If every car tire I see is round (a circle) then isn't it reasonable to assume that maybe there is a REASON why they are round, instead of square or triangular or some other shape? Why wouldn't this reasoning apply to the circular shape of the Sun, Moon and planets too?

Also, since the Sun, Moon, and planets are circular, then how would the Earth's circularity be unique? I don't quite get the point that being the same (circular) as all those other circular objects makes the Earth's circularity unique. Doesn't unique mean different or rare?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
The earth is unique because it is flat.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »

If every car tire I see is round (a circle) then isn't it reasonable to assume that maybe there is a REASON why they are round, instead of square or triangular or some other shape? Why wouldn't this reasoning apply to the circular shape of the Sun, Moon and planets too?

Also, since the Sun, Moon, and planets are circular, then how would the Earth's circularity be unique? I don't quite get the point that being the same (circular) as all those other circular objects makes the Earth's circularity unique. Doesn't unique mean different or rare?

I mean, they are celestial objects. But the earth is earth, on the groud. There is no need to earth's being similar with them. because they are in different category. Think is as table's being rectangle but basketball ball's being round. They have not to be similar. But celestial bodies may be similar, because they are in same category. The earth isn't in same category with celestial objects.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
They spin.

I don't think moon's spinning. Otherwise we had to see its dark face in a way or other.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Creationism is the making sense answer. Everything has The Cause except The Prime Cause.

"Creationism" in the scale of human has the similar logic and it's found in every human experience. It's axiomatic. They can make a rectangle tables as well as round balls. It's up to them as the makers.

As to the natural cause following the initial construction, no research/survey has been conducted about it. Maybe next time.

For time being we only propose hypothesises which have their own logic based on the known law of physics.
Hypothesis is a valuable thing for scientific method before figuring out the evidences.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:35:06 PM by Danang »
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »
Space Girl posted
The earth is unique because it is flat.

Okay, but I'm talking about roundness (circularity) not flatness (linearity.)

All the illustrations which I've seen of the FE show it as a flat round plate. Not a flat square plate or a flat triangular plate.

Regardless of whether the Sun, Moon, and planets are spheres or flat plates, they are circular, not square, triangular, or other geometric shapes.

So again, if the Sun, Moon and planets are circular (plates or spheres) and the Earth is circular too, then the Earth's circularity isn't unique. It's the same. Circular.

Isn't it reasonable to wonder if there is some reason why the Earth, Sun, Moon and planets are all circular?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »
A fascinating discussion. But I'm afraid it must continue in Flat Earth General.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
I would imagine a Fat Sandy from the Munchies 420 Cafe in Sarasota FL causes roundness.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »

I strongly recommend you either buy your own telescobe, or use amateur observers to observe planets.

We don't know their being round or not, because we could not observed them while revolving. We only see they are annular, remained part is about your imagination.
Incorrect. Even amateur astronomers with modest telescopes can see and photograph the rotation of Jupiter.
Here is one example:
Quote from: Martin Peniak www.martinpeniak.com

Amateur Video Showing Rotating Jupiter and The Great Red Spot
The video shows rotating Jupiter with its prominent feature called the great red spot (GRS), which is a persistent anticyclonic vortex on the south border of the South Equatorial belt.

I started recording on 12/09/2010 in Plymouth, UK at around 1am and finished something around 4:30am. I used the Celestron CPC925, 2x barlow lens and NextImage CCD camera with infrared/ultraviolet blocking filter. Each frame in the video was stacked from around 1900 frames and the video itself is made of 70frames (similar to the picture above), so overall around 130,000 frames were used out of 140,000. The visibility was quite good, however, sometimes the corrector lens on the scope got dewed up so the quality varies as you will notice. Literary before I finished recording, it clouded over.
Jupiter rotates once in about 9.5 hours and so it is quite easy for anyone with a good enough telescope to photograph it revolving.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 01:54:41 PM »
This is an interesting question.

Asking why is earth the only flat planet betrays a logical fallacy. Karl Popper talks about this in Logic of Scientific Discovery, and its a well covered topic in philosophy of science, presenting one of the largest issues with empiricism.

As it turns out, each planet we view that is round actually makes it more probable that the earth is flat - this is one of the issues behind the problem of induction. Since the earth being flat has a non-zero probability, each time we observe a round object it reduces the solution space, thus making the non-zero probability have a higher likelihood.

More than this, the idea is logically faulty. I may see a grey goose out my window each day. Does this mean all geese are grey?  In other words, since I can say Object A and Object B are both blue, does that make Object C blue? or Object D? Or all other objects?!

Aside from this, there are plenty of round objects in space - and flat ones.

Tires are round because they were designed to be round. They are also flat because they were designed to be flat.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:58:01 PM by John Davis »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »

Asking why is earth the only flat planet betrays a logical fallacy. Karl Popper talks about this in Logic of Scientific Discovery, and its a well covered topic in philosophy of science, presenting one of the largest issues with empiricism.

As it turns out, each planet we view that is round actually makes it more probable that the earth is flat - this is one of the issues behind the problem of induction. Since the earth being flat has a non-zero probability, each time we observe a round object it reduces the solution space, thus making the non-zero probability have a higher likelihood.

More than this, the idea is logically faulty. I may see a grey goose out my window each day. Does this mean all geese are grey?  In other words, since I can say Object A and Object B are both blue, does that make Object C blue? or Object D? Or all other objects?!

Tires are round because they were designed to be round. They are also flat because they were designed to be flat.
[John - off topic, but you were going to find some non satellite, satellite TV transmitters]  Please delete if inappropriate.

Baron Lim’e

• Subscribe to PewDiePie on YouTube
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
Subscribe to PewDiePie

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »

[John - off topic, but you were going to find some non satellite, satellite TV transmitters]  Please delete if inappropriate.
I really don't recall agreeing to do any such thing. However, I use DirectTv, and have a satellite dish. Unfortunately, they for some reason feel the need to feed 90% of their traffic over my internet.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.