Earth’s orbit

• 17 Replies

Baron Lim’e

• Subscribe to PewDiePie on YouTube
Earth’s orbit
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering how/if the Earth orbits around the sun, or if the sun orbits around us.  Since the other planets are round and Earth is flat it doesn’t make sense for Earth to orbit around the sun like they do, and I’m haven’t looked into the subject enough to have my own theory about it.  Anyways, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this! I am so excited that I finally figured out how to use this website!!!

Re: Earth’s orbit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
Possibly you could look into it?

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:58:59 PM »
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering how/if the Earth orbits around the sun, or if the sun orbits around us.  Since the other planets are round and Earth is flat it doesn’t make sense for Earth to orbit around the sun like they do, and I’m haven’t looked into the subject enough to have my own theory about it.  Anyways, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this! I am so excited that I finally figured out how to use this website!!!

If the earth would moved in a way or other, be sure you would felt it.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

JCM

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »

You can feel movement inside a plane if it is flying the same velocity without turbulence and level?  Your senses are very strong. 

A merry go round that takes 24 hours to rotate would throw you off it is going so fast I am sure.  Just watching that thing must make you dizzy.  How water (or anything) sticks to such a thing spinning so incredibly fast is truly a mystery.

?

JCM

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:18:36 AM »
Since the question is more about the Earth’s orbit then it spinning, why is Orion not visible in the northern hemisphere in the Summer?

A flat Earth explanation for the seasonal constellations would be appreciated.  If the Earth were flat and non moving the stars would be the same every night right?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
Linear speed increases with a factor of the radius. So a point on the surface of your fabled rotating globe would be travelling 5,102,400 times as fast as the 24hr merry-go-round of 5m diameter...  Centripetal force then increases with the square of that tangential velocity.  Are you sure that is the comparison you wanted to make?

If the Earth were flat and non moving the stars would be the same every night right?
Why?  Why don't you put a moment's thought into the question and see of you can figure out the celestial sphere for yourself?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:35:17 AM by Ski »
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
Linear speed increases with a factor of the radius. So a point on the surface of your fabled rotating globe would be travelling 5,102,400 times as fast as the 24hr merry-go-round of 5m diameter...  Centripetal force then increases with the square of that tangential velocity.  Are you sure that is the comparison you wanted to make?

If the Earth were flat and non moving the stars would be the same every night right?
Why?  Why don't you put a moment's thought into the question and see of you can figure out the celestial sphere for yourself?

Going by your statement it’s well seen you have little grasp or understanding of the physics involved on the rotating earth.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
Humans on a globe would not experience centripetal acceleration/force now?   Or you don't agree that a merry-go-round with the same rate of rotation but vastly smaller radius is an asinine comparison?

"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

JCM

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Let’s do some math...

Earth’s circumference at the equator is about 40,075 km.  On equator surface, Earth moves at 464 m/s (1,044 mph).
The Earth’s rate of rotation is about 15 degrees per hour, .0042 deg/s, one rotation per day.
Earth’s average radius is about 6,370 km.
Centripetal acceleration at the equator...   a = v^2/r, is about .034 m/s/s.

Let’s look at centripetal force in the United States:
At the U.S. latitude of 39 degrees, the radius from the surface to the axis of rotation is about 4,951 km and the Earth’s linear velocity 360 m/s (811 mph)
centripetal acceleration (a=v^2/r) is .026 m/s/s

F=ma, so 1 kg mass (2.2 lb at Earth’s surface) * .026 m/s/s  results in a centripetal force of .026 Newtons (N)

weight in lb (at the Earth’s surface) / 2.2 = mass in kg
Multiply mass in kg by centripetal acceleration, .026 m/s/s = centripetal force in Newtons (N)
Convert Newtons (N) to lb:  force in N / 4.45 = force in lb.

Centrifugal Force=  (( lb / 2.2 ) * .026 ) /4.45

cf = ( lb * .012 ) / 4.45

cf = lb * .0027

Take your weight in lb times .0027 to get the centripetal force felt at U.S. latitude of 39 degrees.

100 lb object = 0.27 lb centrifugal force
150 lb object = 0.40 lb centrifugal force
200 lb object = 0.54 lb centrifugal force

Ski, let’s assume you weigh 200 pounds like the rest of us in America carrying a little extra weight.  In the middle of the U.S. you would feel about .54 lb of centrifugal force... 

Force of Gravity >>>>> Centrifugal Force.  So, no, water has no problems sticking to the Earth and no, a 200 pound person isn’t going to be thrown off the surface by half a pound of force.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:55:23 PM by JCM »

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:21:38 AM »

You can feel movement inside a plane if it is flying the same velocity without turbulence and level?  Your senses are very strong. 

A merry go round that takes 24 hours to rotate would throw you off it is going so fast I am sure.  Just watching that thing must make you dizzy.  How water (or anything) sticks to such a thing spinning so incredibly fast is truly a mystery.

I mean, not the movement, the acceleration. I used the term of movement to simply it. there are two movements mentioned here. the first is the upward acceleration movement, the second is the rotational movement.  if there is acceleration, we should feel this force. if there was a rotational movement, we would have to feel it again. because each object has a moment of inertia. that is, the objects want to remain in place. If there was a force, we would feel it. That's what I mean. We simply do not feel any force towards any direction.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

JCM

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »

I mean, not the movement, the acceleration. I used the term of movement to simply it. there are two movements mentioned here. the first is the upward acceleration movement, the second is the rotational movement.  if there is acceleration, we should feel this force. if there was a rotational movement, we would have to feel it again. because each object has a moment of inertia. that is, the objects want to remain in place. If there was a force, we would feel it. That's what I mean. We simply do not feel any force towards any direction.

I addressed both questions with some basic calculations in the post above yours. The force felt from the centrifigal force of the spinning Earth in the middle of the United States on a 200 pound person is about half a pound of force.  The force of gravity we feel as weight on the ground is far far greater then the centrifugal force felt.  If the Earth suddenly stopped moving or changed spinning speeds all of a sudden we would most definitely feel it, think world wide disaster.

The math is easy and answers both your questions.  The force from spinning 1000 mph at the equator is minuscule due to the size of the Earth.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
Well to skis point the velocity is fast.
But he was confusing accelleration with velocity.
Maybe someone could ridicule him to no end for failing basic physics.
Centripetal accel is inversly proportional to the radius.
So if the arc radius is realllreallly big, no ones going to feel any force.
No rollercoaster.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »
Humans on a globe would not experience centripetal acceleration/force now?   Or you don't agree that a merry-go-round with the same rate of rotation but vastly smaller radius is an asinine comparison?
As I said the very fact you ask that question demonstrates your lack of knowledge on this subject.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 03:35:01 AM »
Centripetal acceleration can be expressed as either (tangential velocity)2/radius or (angular velocity)2 x radius.

So if you want to make a small scale model you must decide on just what the purpose of the scale model is to be used for.

Your purpose was undoubtedly to riducule the Globe and by keeping the tangential velocity constant you have achieved that end.

But I could also ask, "why should I not keep the angular velocity constant?" That angular velocity is 0.0000727 r/s or 0.000694 rpm.
This would make a very leasurely merry-go-round ride at only one turn per day - like the earth.

I doubt that either gives a useful picture and the real value for the rotating Globe of about 0.036 m/s2 is more meaningful.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 06:40:06 AM »
you are a smart Girl...

get the hell out of here...

what a young girl searching this and that...

i recognise your curiosity...

get out of here,,, you don't belong here

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
Quote from: JCM
.  So, no, water has no problems sticking to the Earth and no, a 200 pound person isn’t going to be thrown off the surface by half a pound of force.

Where did I ever make such a claim?  My only claim was that you seem to be incorrectly equating the centripetal force on a whirling globe with a merry-go-round with having the same rotational velocity:
A merry go round that takes 24 hours to rotate would throw you off it is going so fast I am sure.  Just watching that thing must make you dizzy.

It's grossly incorrect. Your spinning globe is generating a ridiculous amount of centripetal force in excess of your merry-go-round with the same rotational velocity. Why would you use that as a comparison if you understand it is several orders of magnitude different?

"I pushed a car back once without much effort, so I'm sure I could back one up on a freeway traveling 75mph if I got in front of it..."

?

JCM

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »
Quote from: JCM
.  So, no, water has no problems sticking to the Earth and no, a 200 pound person isn’t going to be thrown off the surface by half a pound of force.

Where did I ever make such a claim?  My only claim was that you seem to be incorrectly equating the centripetal force on a whirling globe with a merry-go-round with having the same rotational velocity:
A merry go round that takes 24 hours to rotate would throw you off it is going so fast I am sure.  Just watching that thing must make you dizzy.

It's grossly incorrect. Your spinning globe is generating a ridiculous amount of centripetal force in excess of your merry-go-round with the same rotational velocity. Why would you use that as a comparison if you understand it is several orders of magnitude different?

"I pushed a car back once without much effort, so I'm sure I could back one up on a freeway traveling 75mph if I got in front of it..."

That’s a cute answer, but it is an analogy.  Is it a direct comparison, obviously not.  The point was to demonstrate the idea that an object no matter it’s size taking a day to spin will not have a large centripetal force.   The math shows this to be true.  Look at my numbers, a small breeze has more force to it.

Now if you’d like we can work backwards and find out the size of a merry go round and how fast it would spin to be perfectly equivalent (because FET wiki requires perfection) to the centripetal force felt on the spinning Earth.  That would be an exact comparison, though I expect you won’t be impressed by the slow nature the merrygoround will spin to produce half a pound of force on a 200 pound person.  That work of mathematics would impress no one and go right over the heads of many who see Math and assume it is RE Math and therefore fake, designed to support roundness somehow.  So for analogy purposes for Mr. Wise, an incredibly slowly spinning merry go round is good enough without paragraphs of math everyone will gloss over.   

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
Do you always try to make analogies of equivalence when the differences are many orders of magnitude different?