Some questions about "flat earth"

• 38 Replies

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Some questions about "flat earth"
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
One might suspect a variety of sources. Celestial gravitation, local variances in mass density below, the existence of "sub-terranian" celestial bodies/gravitation, etc
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

JackBlack

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Again, your reading comprehension and memory are both so poor, you don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
I'm not the one with the reading comprehension or memory problems here.
I have made it clear what the argument regarding Earth being torn apart is addressing. You either not understanding that or choosing to ignore it is your problem not mine.

Even on an upwardly accelerating plane, a measured variation in g does not necessitate the earth being torn apart.
Yes, if other factors are influencing g, which I have already indicated.
I even asked what is causing that. Remember?

What is causing the variation in "g" around Earth, which makes the observed value of g around Earth match so well to an oblate spheroid?
What is causing the stars and moon and planets to stay up in the sky rather than falling to Earth, while other objects such as people do fall to Earth?

I don't just want wild speculation. It want a rational answer with some explanation as to why it is that pattern which matches an oblate spheroid so well.

Celestial gravitation, local variances in mass density below, the existence of "sub-terranian" celestial bodies/gravitation, etc
Celestial gravitation doesn't explain it as there is no observed object which could cause these variations. Instead you just have mainly stars distributed all over the sky, with the sun, moon and planets being elsewhere, with the main variations not linked to their position.
Just what object is above the equator which reduces the apparent value of g there?

There is also the question under the UA model of why gravity is selective in applying to celestial objects or objects under Earth but not Earth, especially with it acting between parts of Earth (e.g. rocks) and people on Earth, but not between multiple such entities?
Likewise under UA the local mass variances wouldn't explain it as that would require appealing to gravity which would result in the plane collapsing.

With the local variances in mass, I wouldn't even call it local due to its extent. It isn't just a bit more density in New York and a bit less in Ecuador. It is more at the poles and less at the equator in regions spanning thousands of km. For such a large scale pattern in mass distribution I would expect something to cause it.
So what is causing this mass distribution?
As for the objects below Earth, what objects are below Earth to cause this variation? Do you have anything more than a post-hoc excuse?

I'm muting you for a day so you can spend more time reading and less time feeding your narcissism.  You can watch me have an actual conversation with Kabool.
Then you clearly don't understand how narcissism works. Silencing someone would directly feed their narcissism as they would interpret it as you being completely unable to refute them and abusing your powers to make it so you don't need to deal with them. That would make them think better of themselves and worse of you. Making them more narcissistic. Especially when your objection is that they aren't reading/understanding what you say, and the response to the person you have chosen as your example of someone capable of a conversion starts with basically the same thing, indicating they are reading or understanding what you say.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »

Quote from: psuedoscientist
Celestial gravitation doesn't explain it as there is no observed object which could cause these variations

It is merely inferred. We don't see some massive ring about the arms of a spiral galaxy which would impact the rate of rotation, but that doesn't stop the Orthodox from appealing to Dark Matter to resolve their gravitational value differences.

Likewise under UA the local mass variances wouldn't explain it as that would require appealing to gravity which would result in the plane collapsing.

My pencil has mass and has yet to collapse into a sphere.

Also, you are trying to sate your narcissistic need to look more intelligent than you are by +(mis-)using latin terms again...  ::)

"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

JackBlack

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Quote from: psuedoscientist
Just who are you responding to?
The closest to a pseudoscientist here is you.
Why do you feel the need to insult people so much?

I've also dealt with that post elsewhere.
Again, we aren't discussing the cause of galaxy rotation curves, we are discussing the observed variations in g around Earth.

My pencil has mass and has yet to collapse into a sphere.
Because it is far too small.
Does it exert the same magnitude of gravity we are discussing?
Does it change the local value of g by roughly 0.06 m/s^2?

Also, you are trying to sate your narcissistic need to look more intelligent than you are by +(mis-)using latin terms again...  ::)
That would have far weight if it came from someone who didn't change the author of posts to insult people and repeatedly play semantics.

If I was a narcissist I wouldn't be posting on this forum. I would just be laughing at you all.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
Words have meanings in science. You don't get to call tortoises turtles and then try to change the definitions to make yourself seem somehow still right.  ::)

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »
Words have meanings in science. You don't get to call tortoises turtles and then try to change the definitions to make yourself seem somehow still right.  ::)

Are you really that hung up on the use of "post hoc" versus "ad hoc"? That's the full weight of your argument here?

JackBlack

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
Words have meanings in science.
Yes, and you focusing on those meanings is playing semantics.
You ignoring some of the meanings because you don't like them is you failing at playing semantics.
Like I said, do you also go off at people that say right instead of correct and accuse them of not understanding the meaning?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 01:23:46 PM »
No, I would not. Those two words have the same meaning.

JackBlack

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »
No, I would not. Those two words have the same meaning.
They share a meaning, they don't have the same meaning. That means in some cases you can use either.
Just like in some cases you can use ad hoc or post hoc.
I will admit that I could have thought of a better example, where the meaning isn't actually the same.