WP XI - Hotel California - Signup Thread

• 182 Replies

Junker

WP XI - Hotel California - Signup Thread
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »
Death Valley, California

The year is 1976. It is early March, and the first signs of spring are becoming apparent in the Mojave desert. The rains have come a bit early this year. Within a few weeks this now-barren wasteland will be full of vibrant colors thanks to a somewhat rare super bloom.

While you appreciate the change of weather and scenery, your mind is occupied with much more important matters, which all center around the goal you have been working towards for years now. You and your colleagues finally have a solid lead on the coveted flat earth map. You received a letter from none other than Charles K. Johnson himself, who has has arranged a meetup at the renowned Furnace Creek Inn to fully investigate the matter with a handful of members from the International Flat Earth Research Society. How fitting, on the five year anniversary of Samuel Shenton's death, you and your group finally have to chance to concretely prove to everyone that the earth is indeed flat. You are excited to finally meet other IFERS members who, up until now, you have only conversed with by post or telephone. You do wonder a bit about the isolated location of the meetup, but Johnson assures you in his letter that this is the finest accommodation he could make where you can all work in private, and is also not too far from his own ranch near Edwards Air Force Base.

But not all is as it seems in the Mojave... Unbeknownst to most of you, there are some traitors afoot. Indeed, there are those who absolutely cannot have the flat earth map being discovered. Several of them have managed to infiltrate the society and earn themselves a spot on this wonderful getaway in the desert. Aside from the society members (aka villagers), there are also NASA agents and werepenguins working to stop the society once and for all.

I am junker, and I will be your narrator and bartender for this lengthy soirée. The Furnace Creek Inn is a little slice of paradise in the hottest place on earth (no, we don't sell the t-shirts). So, come for the map, stay for the drinks (this means sign-up in this very thread)... Keep in mind that while cell phones have been recently invented, there are no comms out here to support them. Also, in an unfortunate turn of events, some arms tests at the nearby Air Force base have left the area without radio or phone for an indefinite period of time. Terribly sorry about the inconvenience. On a happier note, the bar is open 24x7, and Mr. Johnson has graciously covered everyone's tab in advance.

• Signups will be open until 15 February at 22:00 UTC (2PM Pacific Time, 5PM Eastern Time).
  • Alignments/roles will be PM'd within 24 hours of signups closing.
  • Days/nights will last 24 hours each.
  • First dawn/day will occur 17 February at 22:00 UTC (2PM Pacific Time, 5PM Eastern Time).
  • Lynching the narrator is DISABLED. Leave me alone. Even voting to lynch me in jest may result in your drink being poisoned.

<<<RULES AND ROLES SUBJECT TO CHANGE PRIOR TO ROLE/ALIGNMENT PMs BEING SENT>>>

RULES:
During the day, the villagers can vote to lynch any of their number. Whoever ends the day with the most votes dies. Someone can also vote to cancel another’s vote.  If there is a tie, no one dies. Simply write [I vote to lynch ___]

When voting, please keep a running tally of current votes for the ease of everyone reading. Anyone attempting to manipulate the system by obfuscating the running tally shall be met with a swift death. The running tally should read like this:
Player A - 3
Player B - 2
Player C - 1

If a character wishes to commit suicide, they do not require a vote, they can do it to themselves instantly. Any votes for them to be lynched are immediately cancelled, and those that did so are free to vote again. This option is only open to villagers, and is only available should there be fewer villagers remaining than the total sum of penguins and NASA agents.

Any command for the narrator in the thread should be in brackets [__] to make sure it doesn't get overlooked.

During the night, the Psychic can ask the alignment of a specific character. The Psychic is on the side of the villagers.

The penguins will alternate nights, and can also choose between two options. They might decide to ask after the alignment of a player, or they could decide to kill. If they target a villager, the villager dies. If they target a NASA agent however they will be unable to kill them, and instead their identity will be outed to that agent.

The NASA agents perform the same as the penguins, with the roles reversed. Should a penguin and NASA agent target the same individual, the individual survives and once more the identity of the penguin is revealed to the NASA agent, and the identity of the NASA agent revealed to the penguin. The target learns both. 
The only way for a penguin or NASA agent to die is by lynching, or by ability of a role (such as Amateur Vigilante).

The penguins win when the NASA agents and villagers are wiped out, or such a thing is unavoidable.
NASA wins when penguins and villagers are wiped out, or such a thing is unavoidable.
The villagers win when both NASA and the penguins are defeated.

Alternatively, no one wins should all villagers be dead, and the NASA agents or penguins both have one or both have two survivors, so don’t be too free with your killing.

If anyone wants to reveal their role in PM or the main thread they are free to do so, however it is still a bit of a stupid thing to do so you are advised against it. It is entirely possible for someone to lie. However, as the villagers are required for NASA agents to defeat the penguins, or vice versa, there may be cause for an uneasy alliance.

Dead players may post only at night, but living players may commune with them even during the day via PM. This includes talking with dead penguins/NASA agents should anyone wish to pull a ‘the enemy of my enemy.

When someone dies, it is revealed whether they were a penguin, NASA agent or human; any special roles are the ghost’s to reveal. Any knowledge on the alignments of other characters remains secret, and will be dispensed by their ghost as and when they wish it.

The two werepenguins have human names during the day, but their true penguin names are Mac and Dennis  The two NASA agents operate under the code names Charlie and Frank. Mac and Charlie will PM me on night one. Dennis and Frank on night two, and so on. If Charlie dies, Frank will PM in their place also. If both members of one team are killed, their counterparts still only get one PM a night.

There are two werepenguins, two NASA spies, and one psychic among the villagers.

ROLES:
Villager only roles:
Vengeful Spirit - Has all the powers of a psychic, but only when they have been killed by either a penguin or NASA agent. If they were lynched, they can only ask after a name once, and only the name of one of those that voted for them.

Wildcard (maximum 1 per game) - Their sole purpose is to make the villagers lose. It does not matter who wins. Even in death they are indistinguishable from a villager. The Wildcard will be PM'd the identity and role of one penguin and one NASA agent to allow an alliance if desired. They will also be notified of the active villager roles (no identities) and their frequency (since duplicate roles are likely).

Empath - Attunes themselves to a target each night and learns that target's role, much like a psychic. If their target is killed, however, they die too. If they locate a penguin or NASA agent they are too traumatised to ever use their power again.

Werewolf - This player has werewolf blood boiling in its veins. If this player is killed by a penguin/NASA agent, it will morph into a werewolf and kill the penguin/NASA agent that killed it. However, if this player is lynched, it will morph into a werewolf and kill a villager. The werewolf can choose only from those villagers that elected to lynch it.

Psychic (maximum 1 per game) - A player with mystical powers. Each night, the psychic can ask for the alignment of another character.

Shared villager, penguin, and NASA roles:
Bodyguard - At the end of each day, PMs the narrator a name and the person they choose will not be killed by any penguin or NASA agent during that night. They cannot protect themselves. Their power only works once, after that they will be too injured. If by some staggering coincidence the NASA agent, penguin and bodyguard all select the same person, it's the bodyguard who will become aware of their identities in addition to the one they protected. If the bodyguard protects a penguin from a NASA agent, or vice versa, they will still lose their power and the victim will not learn of their attacker's identity.

Spirit Magician (maximum 1 per game) - When this person is killed, they may choose another person to resurrect with all their abilities intact. Penguins and NASA agents cannot be brought back.

Thief - At any time, this player may steal another character's role. The person they targeted will be informed and given a new ability at random. The thief no longer steals alignment, just ability. That way a team evil can be a thief as well. The only way alignment changes is if they end up the wildcard. Then the wildcard ends up normal.

Hypnotist - May choose any player and remove any abilities they possess for the next block of the day. For example, they would PM me a name at the end of the night, and someone would then not be able to use their power during the next day. If they PM me a name during the day, the target would have no power during the night. This also prevents a selected penguin/NASA agent from killing or scanning an individual, but cannot be done constantly. A day or a night must pass before they can act again. The affected will be told their powers have been taken for the 24 hour (real time) period.

Scam Artist - During the day, may PM the narrator two votes counted towards the lynching total. There is a 25% chance of being caught and losing their power, but cast votes still go through. Their identity however is not revealed to the world at large.

Politician - May act to prevent a lynching by outing themselves in the thread. The person to be lynched is then changed to anyone else that has at least one vote not cast by the Politician; it is the Politician's choice. If they do not kill a penguin/NASA agent, they lose their power. If they do kill one they maintain the ability to overrule in future.

Amateur Vigilante - May kill one person, day or night, simply by PMing the narrator. There is a 50% chance of being caught and killed. Only works once.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:08:58 PM by Junker »

Junker

Re: WP XI - Hotel California - Signup Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Confirmed alcoholics:
Jura
Crouton
boydster
SCG
Jane
TheLordBarst
Shifter
NSS
Colonel Gaydafi
wise
DuckDodgers
CFC
Lorddave
Stash
B. Franks
Son of Orospu (jroa)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:21:25 AM by Junker »

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
I would like to come along, Jura

1976 And the boys (& girls) are back in town.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:04:41 PM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »
I'm in.

I would like to request a role appropriate to the secret alliance that I am in with boydster and Benjamin Franklin.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Junker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »
>implying i would even let franklin play

edit:

also pls sticky
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:16:13 PM by Junker »

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »
Pour me a cold one. I'm in.

Also, STICKIED!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »
Yay, I'm in!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:29 PM »
This is going to be amazing, let's do it!

Are there going to be non-alcoholic drinks? Someone's got to stay sober and remember all the shenanigans everyone else gets up to. Give me all the gossip!
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Junker

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
This is going to be amazing, let's do it!

Are there going to be non-alcoholic drinks? Someone's got to stay sober and remember all the shenanigans everyone else gets up to. Give me all the gossip!

Absolutely. We likely have any drink you can imagine. However, this bartender's curation lends toward whisky, bourbon, and tequila. But I have read enough drink guides to mix all kinds of virgin and alcoholic beverages.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
I'm in.
Please direct me to the closest source of alcohol so that I can get completely shitfaced and beat the shit outta boydster.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
I'm in.
Please direct me to the closest source of alcohol so that I can get completely shitfaced and beat the shit outta boydster.

Listen FrogManDude. We are definitely going to fight. But first, let's try and settle this the manly way, with a best-of-seven backgammon tournament.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:04 PM »
>implying real men play backgammon

Shuffleboard to the death!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 06:30:55 PM »
[I vote to lynch TheLordBarst]
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »
>implying real men play backgammon

Shuffleboard to the death!

Dammit. We might be friends now. This next question is very important. Table, right?

Rushy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
I vote to lynch Junker

Junker

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »
I vote to lynch Junker

Are you playing, idiot?

Rushy

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
I vote to lynch Junker

Are you playing, idiot?

I would but the guy narrating it got lynched.

Junker

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
I vote to lynch Junker

Are you playing, idiot?

I would but the guy narrating it got lynched.

Except that isn't how you issue a lynch command, therefore it is ignored. I also included one of the rules I had already decided on in the OP. So you are out of luck.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
I'll sign up! I hope some of your friends from the "other" site come up too.  8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 10:09:28 PM »
I'm in.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:45 AM »
I looked this place up, I'm not going to need my coat, am I?

Rushy, come play, your military training, sharp mind and “Murican” propensity for killing stuff and then asking it questions might actually help here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:02:30 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »
count me in
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Junker

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
I looked this place up, I'm not going to need my coat, am I?
Long sleeves should get you through any evening walkabouts. Otherwise we have top of the line climate controls inside (spared no expense). And the linens and bedding in each room are comfortable to the point of excess. However, any self-respecting gentleman who wishes to be taken seriously should have a proper coat for these kinds of occasions.

I'll sign up! I hope some of your friends from the "other" site come up too.  8)
I am trying.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »

Ah, you mean dressing up like a penguin, interesting.

I was going to go for buckskins and a Shoshone war bonnet, I already have a pair of military tomahawks, as for being taken seriously, that boat left long ago.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 09:03:18 AM »
I'm on.

::)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »
GENIUS
I'm bringing a penguin onesie. They'll think I'm one of them and I'll survive.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
Lynching the narrator is DISABLED. Leave me alone. Even voting to lynch me in jest may result in your drink being poisoned.

What the fuck is this?!?!

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
Count me in.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
Any time there is a chance to Lynch Jane I am in.

Plus certainly interested in your version of the game.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Junker

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Lynching the narrator is DISABLED. Leave me alone. Even voting to lynch me in jest may result in your drink being poisoned.

What the fuck is this?!?!