Your thoughts on Elon musk?

• 1438 Replies
Your thoughts on Elon musk?
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
Is this imbecile truly helping the planet or is he just doing for profit? I speculate that this man is being influenced by the ignorant masses who do not comprehend the truth. What are your thoughts my fellow allies.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Your thoughts on Elon musk?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
Is this imbecile truly helping the planet or is he just doing for profit?
Are you suggesting that the two are mutually exclusive? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

JackBlack

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:39:23 AM »
Is this imbecile truly helping the planet or is he just doing for profit? I speculate that this man is being influenced by the ignorant masses who do not comprehend the truth. What are your thoughts my fellow allies.
I would more say he is a businessman.
He takes old ideas and presents them as his own as a massive innovation while being unable to make it work.

He is basically just spouting a bunch of stuff to sound good (some of which contradicts other things he has said, and some of which are outright lies or extremely deceptive) and performing a bunch of publicity stunts.

So far all he has really done is what other people have already done.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:50:31 AM »
I would more say he is a businessman.
He takes old ideas and presents them as his own as a massive innovation while being unable to make it work.

He is basically just spouting a bunch of stuff to sound good (some of which contradicts other things he has said, and some of which are outright lies or extremely deceptive) and performing a bunch of publicity stunts.

So far all he has really done is what other people have already done.
Except that he's done "what other people have already done" at half the price and
has done things, like landing first stages back on the launch site and on barges, that many others have said could not be done.

I don't have to like Elon Musk or everything he says to admit these things that SpaceX has achieved under his leadership.

JackBlack

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:54:20 AM »
Except that he's done "what other people have already done" at half the price
Such as?

has done things, like landing first stages back on the launch site and on barges
Vertically landed rockets is nothing new.
It has been done in the past.

People just don't like them because with failures, it fails quite badly.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 04:35:28 AM »
Except that he's done "what other people have already done" at half the price
Such as?
Launches satellites at half the price.
       Europe Complains: SpaceX Rocket Prices Are Too Cheap to Beat, But is SpaceX playing fair, or profiting from subsidies?
Launch capability and cost:

Quote from: JackBlack
has done things, like landing first stages back on the launch site and on barges

But their recent record is good enough to seriously bother Arianespace and even question the viability of its Ariane 6.

Still, I guess the future will tell.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:29:47 AM »
But who else does it on a regular basis with orbital class boosters?  Landing a rocket vertically may not be new, but making it part of your business model is.

Actually, I think that the way that he looks at failures as learning experiences in kind of endearing.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
Oh really, has it?
Pelase provide me a source that shows a rocket starting, transporting something into space (or at least getting there), then coming back and land.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 07:56:21 AM »
Simply a face to take the plaudits, flak. To take away the spotlight from those at the top.

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
So show the actual cost of the launch with a complete breakdown, not simply what they charge.

Pelase provide me a source that shows a rocket starting, transporting something into space (or at least getting there), then coming back and land.
So old things need a full video of it being done or they don't exist?

Here has some video of vertically landing rockets:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »
Simply a face to take the plaudits, flak. To take away the spotlight from those at the top.
What does that even mean? Please translate but in the meantime:
You win some and

Top 5 Amazing SpaceX Landings Top Fives
         you lose some:

Here's Elon Musk's favorite SpaceX explosions, CNN Business

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
So show the actual cost of the launch with a complete breakdown, not simply what they charge.

None of them actually went into space before landing vertically.

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »

Mostly because it wasn't very practical and they dropped the idea.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
Elon Musk is a twerp. Another guy with a lot of dollars, not much sense.

The real honours to anything regarding Tesla or Space X or whatever go to the unsung heroes who did all the work. Elon simply delegates

It's obvious in any industry. The higher the pay grade, the less work you actually do. Sure you get given a shit load of work but your job is simply to pass it on to your subordinates.

Elon is not a rocket scientist. Just a guy with ideas and the money to see them done

However no amount of money will make Mars colonisation happen. Real scientists have called him out on it

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
Yeah, it's really annoying how he always takes all the credit for everything. His PR team is pretty great I guess.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
So I take it you missed the one landing on the moon, or isn't that in space according to you?

Regardless, I don't really give a damn. Vertically landed rockets are nothing new. Going to space is nothing new.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
Yeah, it's really annoying how he always takes all the credit for everything. His PR team is pretty great I guess.
When did he say he developed vertical landing rockets as the first person? Or are you just randomly making claims?

Member of the BOTD

Pezevenk

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »
When did he say he developed vertical landing rockets as the first person? Or are you just randomly making claims?
When did I say he said that?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
Oh really, has it?

Actually, Blue Origin beat SpaceX to successful booster recovery by a few weeks.
After the loss of NS1, a second New Shepard vehicle was built, NS2. Its first flight, and the second test flight of New Shepard overall, was carried out on 23 November 2015, reaching 100.5 km (330,000 ft) altitude with successful recovery of both capsule and booster stage. The booster rocket successfully performed a powered vertical landing.

Granted, landing New Shepard was arguably much less of a challenge than trying to land a Falcon 9 booster on a barge in the middle of the ocean, but they were most certainly first.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 04:54:43 PM »
Elon Musk is a twerp. Another guy with a lot of dollars, not much sense.
The real honours to anything regarding Tesla or Space X or whatever go to the unsung heroes who did all the work. Elon simply delegates
It's obvious in any industry. The higher the pay grade, the less work you actually do. Sure you get given a shit load of work but your job is simply to pass it on to your subordinates.

Elon is not a rocket scientist. Just a guy with ideas and the money to see them done

However no amount of money will make Mars colonisation happen. Real scientists have called him out on it
Sure, Elon Musk, might very well be "a twerp", "not a rocket scientist" and just "a guy with ideas and the money".
But how is it that he and not YOU, even with your famed ASI, did get "the money" and start Tesla and Space X.

I guess you could say that he took the risks with Zip2, X.com, which merged with Confinity and became PayPal to be bought for a cool $1.5 billion in 2002 and then started SpaceX.
And since then
He helped fund Tesla, Inc., an electric vehicle and solar panel manufacturer, in 2003, and became its CEO and product architect. In 2006, he inspired the creation of SolarCity, a solar energy services company that is now a subsidiary of Tesla, and operates as its chairman. In 2015, Musk co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence. In July 2016, he co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces, and is its CEO. In December 2016, Musk founded The Boring Company, an infrastructure and tunnel-construction company.
Whether he's likeable or not Elon Musk is a lot more than SpaceX.

And what were YOU doing? Some say that "some people have all the luck" while others get out there and make their own luck - many fail some succeed.

I too think that the Mars colonisation is a foolish idea but I would not be so rash as to claim that "no amount of money will make Mars colonisation happen".

But flat-earthers and other space-deniers hate him because his rockets help kill any idea that the earth could possibly be flat.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Settle down rab, whoa! Deep breath

Elon is a dick in real life. That is knowledge in the public domain.

The only way humans will live happily on Mars is to reenginner the human. But then it won't be human anymore

The gravity on Mars can not be changed and it's atmosphere will take far longer than humans have existed before it could be hospitable. And that's as long as the planet, small as it is, can hold onto it.

And no, detonating nukes over the poles won't work

I agree the thought of colonising Mars would be a pioneers dream. But it just won't work.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »

And I never disagreed but just tried to point out that, at least in a material sense, he's a far more successful person than you.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »

And I never disagreed but just tried to point out that, at least in a material sense, he's a far more successful person than you.

What you gauge as success may not be what I gauge as success

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »
Elon is a dick in real life.
So are a lot of other successful CEOs.  What's your point?

The only way humans will live happily on Mars is to reenginner the human. But then it won't be human anymore

The gravity on Mars can not be changed and it's atmosphere will take far longer than humans have existed before it could be hospitable. And that's as long as the planet, small as it is, can hold onto it.

And no, detonating nukes over the poles won't work

I agree the thought of colonising Mars would be a pioneers dream. But it just won't work.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »

Forgotten how to read again, I see. I never said that I gauged success in a purely material sense.
All I said was "that, at least in a material sense," Elon Musk "is a far more successful person than you" (or I).

Which I thought covered that and you still ignore these "accomplishments" of Elon Musk:
In 2015, Musk co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence. In July 2016, he co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces, and is its CEO. In December 2016, Musk founded The Boring Company, an infrastructure and tunnel-construction company.
Elon Musk is a lot more than SpaceX.
      "OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence and
      "Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces
" should be right up your alley ::).

Please engage brain before touching keys.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »

Forgotten how to read again, I see. I never said that I gauged success in a purely material sense.
All I said was "that, at least in a material sense," Elon Musk "is a far more successful person than you" (or I).

Which I thought covered that and you still ignore these "accomplishments" of Elon Musk:
In 2015, Musk co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence. In July 2016, he co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces, and is its CEO. In December 2016, Musk founded The Boring Company, an infrastructure and tunnel-construction company.
Elon Musk is a lot more than SpaceX.
      "OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence and
      "Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces
" should be right up your alley ::).

Please engage brain before touching keys.

So you add in brackets "(or I)" in a faux attempt to not look like a butt this time. OK

I'm not debating what he has brought to the world except to say he's basically the figurehead of a lot of peoples hard work

You really should not take other peoples opinions or criticisms so personally. I'm entitled to my opinion. The OP did ask for my thoughts on him.

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
[<< Give it a break! >>
I'm entitled to my opinion. The OP did ask for my thoughts on him.
Of course you are, just as I'm entitled to add things that you seem to ignore.
But you go on and on and on about every little thing.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
I'm not debating what he has brought to the world except to say he's basically the figurehead of a lot of peoples hard work
So what?  Every head of every company is "basically the figurehead of a lot of peoples hard work".  That's just the way that business works.  Leadership is basically the ability to get others to do the hard work of making your ideas real.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »
So what?  Every head of every company is "basically the figurehead of a lot of peoples hard work".  That's just the way that business works.  Leadership is basically the ability to get others to do the hard work of making your ideas real.

Yeah but does Elon deserve the hero worship he gets though? He won't get much idolism from me that's for sure.

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
When did I say he said that?
You literally said 'he always takes all the credit for everything'. Stop speaking in absolutes if you don't mean it.

Actually, Blue Origin beat SpaceX to successful booster recovery by a few weeks.
Okay, so I shall stand corrected. But it doesn't matter much, because it was parallel development and not spacex imitating blue origin.

Granted, landing New Shepard was arguably much less of a challenge than trying to land a Falcon 9 booster on a barge in the middle of the ocean, but they were most certainly first.
true.

Member of the BOTD