Opinion from current parents and others..

• 10 Replies

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
Opinion from current parents and others..
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:18:43 PM »
This really has me thinking...should I move out of the city and back into the burbs now?

When I was married I lived in the burbs, was raised in the middle of nowhere myself.

I love downtown and have no desire to return to the burbs, however, if it is better for the kiddo then I certainly will before he/she is born. I have been pondering and googling, finding pros and cons for both...

I don't know what to do.
Quote from: Crutchwater
Quote from: FlatOrange
You can't murder a suicide victim
Tell that to Epstein!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • To Us Everywhere Flat Earth
Re: Opinion from current parents and others..
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
Once you have settled in the metropolitan city, it is very difficult to give up that metropolitan, practically. things in the city are addictive. environments, friends, relationships, and even the natural weather of the city. Even the gases in the air you breathe are addictive. When you change the aquarium of fish, they sometimes die because they are not used to the new aquarium. you won't die, but you may feel you can't breathe for a while. And that's exactly what crouton wants you do.
Ignore list: boydster, Bullwinkle, Crouton, DuckDodgers, Hamzah, JackBlack, jdaniel0319, Junker, Jura-Glenlivet II, magellanclavichord, Mundin, NotSoSkeptical, rabinoz, sokarul

NotSoSkeptical

• Chinese Virus
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
This really has me thinking...should I move out of the city and back into the burbs now?

When I was married I lived in the burbs, was raised in the middle of nowhere myself.

I love downtown and have no desire to return to the burbs, however, if it is better for the kiddo then I certainly will before he/she is born. I have been pondering and googling, finding pros and cons for both...

I don't know what to do.

As a parent of 3 toddlers, I can tell you with absolute certainty any advice you get should be taken with a grain of salt.  Things that work for some may not work for you.

In a general sense there are 3 things that will matter.
1) Neighborhood Crime and Safety
2) Quality of Schools
3) Access to Medical Services.

Compare between where you live now and where you would move to in the Suburbs.  Talk to your gf about your options including how you feel about the suburbs.  Don't bite the bullet just because, but don't force a particular decision.  Make a decision as a family.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:57:49 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind.  The conventional wisdom would be to go to the suburbs but I can't really think of a great reason for that.  Safety?  Depends on the neighborhood.  School, ditto.  It's cheaper to get a bigger house but that's a money issue.  Do what works for your lifestyle.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:08 PM »
Move to Finland, that's the best place to raise kids.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:58:13 AM »
As a parent of 3 toddlers, I can tell you with absolute certainty any advice you get should be taken with a grain of salt.  Things that work for some may not work for you.

In a general sense there are 3 things that will matter.
1) Neighborhood Crime and Safety
2) Quality of Schools
3) Access to Medical Services.

Compare between where you live now and where you would move to in the Suburbs.  Talk to your gf about your options including how you feel about the suburbs.  Don't bite the bullet just because, but don't force a particular decision.  Make a decision as a family.

Thank you NSS, your opinion matters to me though I had no idea you had 3 toddlers under your belt.

Crouton
Since quotes don't work I will address your post.

I live in a very safe area, the high rise I live in is one of the most high class, has 4 fail safes and more safe than any house I could think of. However, how could I let my kiddo "go out and play" when there are so many possible dangers present. This of course goes against all I googled with people that lives in the city saying rave remarks.

gayer
Finland isn't an option as interesting as it sounds.
Quote from: Crutchwater
Quote from: FlatOrange
You can't murder a suicide victim
Tell that to Epstein!

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 02:24:03 AM »

I think “going out to play” is massively important, seeing my (3) kids coming back from playing in the park/fields/woods with their friends, they glow, gives them a sense of independence and a life of their own.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
Agree with Jura, being able to just go out to play is hugely important. Kids thrive with that freedom and independence.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

NotSoSkeptical

• Chinese Virus
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »

I think “going out to play” is massively important, seeing my (3) kids coming back from playing in the park/fields/woods with their friends, they glow, gives them a sense of independence and a life of their own.

Absolutely.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 07:31:42 AM »
Dallas is a huge city, you can find a place that is close enough to everything but is still a bit suburban.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »
Suburbia is the devil.
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."