Those search engines

• 38 Replies

faded mike

• new world
Those search engines
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »
I was searching Youtube for "flat earth proof", probably would have been better with "flat earther videos". Yikes, that looks like a conspiracy, this is what took 4 or 5 pages of blah blah blah, but here it is.

edit: the first pages had some good vids, just not quite meeting my search request
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:24:21 PM by faded mike »
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Those search engines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:35:35 AM »
I was searching Youtube for "flat earth proof", probably would have been better with "flat earther videos". Yikes, that looks like a conspiracy, this is what took 4 or 5 pages of blah blah blah, but here it is.

And I'd find your "Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof" a lot more convincing if they started out the right measurements.

Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof at 0:45 sec.
I find it hard to accept that the camera height is 'APPROX. 3 FT". The tripod is at least that high and it is a quite signigicant height above water level.

Why waste time if they can't get the simple things that right. Then did you bother to read the comments? Look at this one:
Quote from: Lukas Rohr

Great Trick, congratulation it took me a while to find out what you did! Please take a look at the oil platforms, they disappear at the footage of sea level (2:53). I took the time to cut it out in photoshop and lay the pictures one over the other and it gets obvious that your photo is another island group, the one I think is the claimed Anacapa island group while the other is the  at least Santa Cruz Island if not the whole San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz Island group. Also please notice the angle, where the island can be seen (0:13) and the angle claimed at the google earth picture  (0:34). Please everyone just go to google maps and watch for your self (miramar beach, santa barbara) zoom out and see the very tiny Anacapa group and the much larger San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Crus Island group.

This video is faked, at least that is a fact.

I don't know who is right but those things sure cast a lot of doubt on this "Flat Earth . . . Undeniable Proof".

And have a look at: Curvature Analysis: Anacapa Islands from Miramar Beach and he does used the camera height of 3 ft.
Lot's more "interesting" stuff in: FlatEarth.ws, Debunking Flat Earth Misconceptions.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Backstage
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:13 AM »

I agree this. It is a better method you use direct link of youtube channels. After that other real flat earther channels appear as suggestion.

You may find a list of it in this thread: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66306.msg1771703#msg1771703

We are categorising them nowadays. If everything go true, so about a month later we'll announce a trusty list of true flat earth researchers.
I have answer good or bad for all questions.Just first look at the question, is it a real question; then I look at the questioner, is it a real human.

Now you do have :)

Danang

• Phew FE Map is under construction. #Disclaimer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
The earth breaths. So enjoy your coffee at tides moment. It's safe.  8)
TRY: Phew = 3.17157 and (Curved Grided) South Pole Centered FE AKA Phew FE ~

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
What i meant to say was that the first 3/4 pages of search returns were more than 80% debunk videos, or negative, while i was clearly requesting the opposite. I was pretty sure the words "flat earth proof" was in the title of many videos...i don't know exactly how these search engines work but this is clearly a bias imho.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »

And I'd find your "Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof" a lot more convincing if they started out the right measurements.

I find it hard to accept that the camera height is 'APPROX. 3 FT". The tripod is at least that high and it is a quite signigicant height above water level.

Why waste time if they can't get the simple things that right. Then did you bother to read the comments? Look at this one:

Great Trick, congratulation it took me a while to find out what you did! Please take a look at the oil platforms, they disappear at the footage of sea level (2:53). I took the time to cut it out in photoshop and lay the pictures one over the other and it gets obvious that your photo is another island group, the one I think is the claimed Anacapa island group while the other is the  at least Santa Cruz Island if not the whole San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz Island group. Also please notice the angle, where the island can be seen (0:13) and the angle claimed at the google earth picture  (0:34). Please everyone just go to google maps and watch for your self (miramar beach, santa barbara) zoom out and see the very tiny Anacapa group and the much larger San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Crus Island group.

I don't know who is right but those things sure cast a lot of doubt on this "Flat Earth . . . Undeniable Proof".

And have a look at: Curvature Analysis: Anacapa Islands from Miramar Beach and he does used the camera height of 3 ft.
Lot's more "interesting" stuff in: FlatEarth.ws, Debunking Flat Earth Misconceptions.
Yeah, i see what your saying about the tripod height, but it may only be 2 ft tall. Even if you add an extra meter, there is still missing curvature. I've been to the beach and seen farther than the theory allows for, I believe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:29:10 PM by faded mike »
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »

Why waste time if they can't get the simple things that right.
Yeah, i see what your saying about the tripod height, but it may only be 2 ft tall. Even if you add an extra meter, there is still missing curvature. I've been to the beach and seen farther than the theory allows for, I believe.
Really? But did you read the rest?

It's funny how you simply claim "I've been to the beach and seen farther than the theory allows for, I believe."
With nothing showing why you believe you've "seen farther than the theory allows for".

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »
A search for "evidence of globe earth" turned up the same results as "evidence of flat earth". That is, all debunk (~90%) vids, and spoofs, with one or two token flat earth vids, not to denounce these particular "token" vids. Nor was I able to find any instructions on how to use youtube search on their site, nor a help button.
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:17 PM »
A search for "evidence of globe earth" turned up the same results as "evidence of flat earth". That is, all debunk (~90%) vids, and spoofs, with one or two token flat earth vids, not to denounce these particular "token" vids. Nor was I able to find any instructions on how to use youtube search on their site, nor a help button.
Both Google and it's subsidiary YouTube are there for one purpose and that is to make money for their shareholders.
They make their money from advertising shown on YouTube and in the top results of searches.
While YouTube are not there to support any particular view they will alter their "Recommended for you" policies if, for example, too many "unpalatable flat earth" video recommendation videos are driving ordinary people away.

I agree that it very hard in many cases to find exactly what you are looking for, even when you know it's there "somewhere".

Stash

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:44:37 AM »
I'm not sure how search engines at large work (no one does), but specific to YouTube:

"Continuing our work to improve recommendations on YouTube

Friday, January 25, 2019

We’ll continue that work this year, including taking a closer look at how we can reduce the spread of content that comes close to—but doesn’t quite cross the line of—violating our Community Guidelines. To that end, we’ll begin reducing recommendations of borderline content and content that could misinform users in harmful ways—such as videos promoting a phony miracle cure for a serious illness, claiming the earth is flat, or making blatantly false claims about historic events like 9/11."

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/01/continuing-our-work-to-improve.html

As for the video, debunked a while back. Observer elevation height incorrect (should be more around 15', not 3') and going up in altitude reveals more of the islands:

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
 Omitting some search results is bad news. I say let the public decide, there will be plenty of people interested enough to figure things out.
 I'm sorry, but i don't believe this video is fakerd. What is your source for observer height? As for more island coming into view at higher elevations, i think there is some refraction at play, plus ocean swells.. Still, how do we know it's not a little refraction on a flat earth versus a lot of refraction on a globe earth?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:29:19 AM by faded mike »
           -them

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
Is this guy complaining he cant find something that doesnt exist?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »
Omitting some search results is bad news.
Who says the Google or YouTube omit any results other than those that might be deemed illegal or open those sites to legal action?

Your OP claims that you searched for the words flat earth proof.
When I try that I get "About 144,000,000 results (0.46 seconds)".
If I search for the exact phrase "flat earth proof" (with the ". . . ") I get "About 206,000 results (0.32 seconds)"

But you say "the first pages had some good vids, just not quite meeting my search request". In what way don't they meet you "search request"?
How is Google supposed to know that you wanted the video "Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof" and not one of the 144,000 matches?

Quote from: faded mike
I say let the public decide, there will be plenty of people interested enough to figure things out.
I'm sorry, but i don't believe this video is fakerd. What is your source for observer height?
The "source for observer height" is a little deduction and this screenshot:

I find it hard to accept that the camera height is 'APPROX. 3 FT". The tripod is at least that high and it is a quite significant height above water level.
The camera's centre is at the same level as the top of the head of the man near the water and he is around 1 foot above the water.
So the camera might be 3 feet above the sand and above the Mean Sea Level but it is far more than that above the actual sea level in that video - I'd estimate about 7 feet.

As for more island coming into view at higher elevations, i think there is some refraction at play, plus ocean swells..
Videos like that that have many questionable aspects and do not carry much weight when there is so much contrary evidence, such as:

The curve hidden in plain sight....no flat Earth....more examples.

And if you read the comments under your video you might realise that the video virtually proves just what is expected on the Globe.

Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof.

Quote from: Sly Sparkane
wait... in your comparrison at 3:28 ... are you saying there is a 50-60 foot Tsunami coming at you? good thing you got the video up on YouTube before it hit...

Quote from: Silent Flank
maybe the curvature of the earth ;) is blocking part of the island?

Quote from: ian read
You show targets of over 200ft at a distance of 31.6 miles the drop would be 21 feet you go on to compare at a higher elevation clearly showing more of the target. Great work you proved the Earth is not flat!

Still, how do we know it's not a little refraction on a flat earth versus a lot of refraction on a globe earth?
What you and most flat earthers fail to acknowledge is that the earth is so huge that there is little curve to be seen.
In none of these distant photos is much refraction needed to show the object that "should be hidden" might be visible. For example flat earthers like to show this:
World Record Long Distance Photo Proves Flat Earth by 7th Day Truth Seeker
That has the camera on Pic Finestrelles at an elevation of 2826 m and showing a little of Pic Gaspard with a height of 3883 m.
With "no refraction" there might be a "hidden height" of 5030 m, so possibly about 1150 m hidden - that would need only 0.15° to show some of Pic Gaspard.
But with even "standard refraction" (that normally observed) there would be a "hidden height" of 3810 m, so a little of Pic Gaspard would be visible.
That photo was, however, taken at a time when the photographer expect some extra refraction so there is somewhat more of  Pic Gaspard visible.

So I don't accept that your "Flat Earth 31.63 miles..Undeniable Proof" video is even any evidence of a flat earth and certainly not "Undeniable Proof".

Stash

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
Omitting some search results is bad news. I say let the public decide, there will be plenty of people interested enough to figure things out.
 I'm sorry, but i don't believe this video is fakerd. What is your source for observer height? As for more island coming into view at higher elevations, i think there is some refraction at play, plus ocean swells.. Still, how do we know it's not a little refraction on a flat earth versus a lot of refraction on a globe earth?

Google/YT and the like are under no obligation to serve any desired content a user seeks and are free to filter any way they see fit. They are corporations. And they do let the public decide. If google does not deliver what you want, you are free to use other services. If the public deems google to be less to their liking and 'leave' the service, google profits less. Then google has to make determination as to whether they want those users back or not.

As for the video, I never said it was faked. Just poorly executed and sloppy with the data. And at the end of the day, it showed more in support of a curved earth than a flat one.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 11:26:18 PM »
You're their lawyer
           -them

Stash

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 01:07:04 AM »

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 05:55:36 AM »
What i meant to say was that the first 3/4 pages of search returns were more than 80% debunk videos
Which you clearly don't want - as you have already made your mind up and just want more confirmation of your predetermined position.  ::)
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: brotherhood of the dome
Should I examine the all shits?

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »
Youtube search is a controversial topic, because $. Many web pages about how it works. Youtube's stated goal is to serve you pages you will like, to make $. They mainly use keywords, and that is not AI, not comprehending it, just matching words. The words you listed could appear in both FE and RE videos. They use other data, including the popularity of videos and what other people liked to decide what to put in that list.

In short, the algorithm is simple minded. Youtube wishes it could programmatically "comprehend" your request, but all it can do is simplistic matching. This is all done by programming, no human involved, too many and too fast.

If they tried to monkey with the search results, several problems.

1. People are watching closely and reverse engineering, complaining, publicizing, including books, web sites, congressional hearings, news articles, etc.

2. You would have to tell programmers to put the code in to do shenanigans. Many programmers are leftist social crusader whistleblowers, get drunk, etc. The program is also a legal record, maybe a law is broken or they can be sued (discovery will uncover the code).

3. Even if you want to put the RE stuff first as part of a plot, there is no algorithm that can take random titles and figure out the difference between pro and con, because sarcasm, teaser, intentional misleading, lack of context. For example, your terms "flat earth proof" matches the title "there is no flat earth proof" just as well as "the ultimate flat earth proof".

They wish they could tell the difference, but that would be AI capable of understanding the meaning of a sentence in context. What they have is simple word match.

I have tried to find proof of RE and got FE proof videos mixed in for the same reason.

If you find conspiracy everywhere, you will end up just confirming your pre-existing belief and dismissing what does not match by conspiracy rather than starting with facts and finding the most probable explanation.
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »
Or youre looking for something that dossnt exist.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »
So did you guys figure it out yet?
           -them

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 05:58:30 AM »
So did you guys figure it out yet?

Yes
The earth is round.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 06:35:51 AM »
A video titled something like “proof the earth isn’t flat” would clearly meet your search criteria.

There’s a lot of debunking videos out there.  Probably more than when this whole thing started getting popular.

I see no reason to assume any particular agenda on the part of YouTube.

True, they’ve recently changed their algorithm so that things like flat earth videos don’t tend to pop up unless someone is specifically looking for them, or shown previous interest.  But the fact that this used to happen so much they felt the need to change things indicates that they aren’t trying to cover anything up.  Or at least have only recently had a massive change in heart.

For myself, I’d only vaguely heard people refer to Flat Earthers in reference to pseudo science in general.  I didn’t even realise anyone actually took it seriously until a couple of years ago when a Flat Earther video randomly popped up on my YouTube recommend list.  Once I watched that, it started recommending lots of others.

If YouTube are involved in a conspiracy to cover up da troof, it seems strange that they tipped me off to it all in the first place.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
Moderatin!
           -them

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 12:39:12 AM »
Long story short, what faded mike is trying to insinuate here it that tha conspirecuh is on to him and so they are doing everything in their power to cover up da troof by hiding search results on his computer.

Because the results he got do not confirm his bias.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:06 AM »
Moderatin!
On YouTube, I searched for "Proof earth is flat" and the top matches were:
  • 5 Facts That Prove The Earth Is Flat
  • 3 proofs that debunk flat-Earth theory | NASA's Michelle Thaller
  • Flat Earth puzzle finally solved, 100% PROOF!!!!!
  • Man flies rocket to 'prove' Earth is flat - BBC News
  • Solving the ACTUAL Flat Earth Puzzle (100% proof)
  • An Astronomer Responds To Flat Earth Theory
  • Inside a Flat Earth convention, where nearly everyone believes Earth isn't round
  • Proving The Earth Is Flat!
  • The Flat Earth Theory Explained
They may or may not be what you want but they seem to match the search request fairly well.

Even on a "Google Search" the top matches were:
  • Flat Earth - Frequently Asked Questions - The Flat Earth Wiki
  • A hundred proofs the Earth is not a globe - The Flat Earth Wiki
  • Flat Earthers Spend $20,000 Trying To Prove Earth Is Flat ... - Triple M
  • How to reason with flat earthers (it may not help though)
  • This is the 'evidence' Flat Earthers say prove our planet is flat | indy100
  • Flat-Earthers Tried To Prove The Earth Is Flat - It Did Not Go Well ...
  • A flat earth (article) | Khan Academy
  • Does This Photograph Prove That The Earth Is Flat? - YouTube
The flat earth sides seem to get a reasonable coverage especially when you consider that neither YouTube now Google (which owns YouTube) can be expected to judge the content of videos or web pages.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Long story short, what faded mike is trying to insinuate here it that tha conspirecuh is on to him and so they are doing everything in their power to cover up da troof by hiding search results on his computer.

Because the results he got do not confirm his bias.
Yeah right, they gave me the covert flat earther virus.
           -them

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 10:08:18 PM »
I accidently typed in nasa rfid.

I seperately typed in Nasa Technologies, the name of the video, and the chip video came up around 8th page, just like a flat earth proof vid when searching flat earth proof.

3D space chip! Don't watch these videos!

The caption on the video:
Published on Feb 21, 2014
NASA's Johnson Space Center has a suite of Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) technologies available to companies and institutions for licensing. These devices are commonly used for autonomous inventory management with special interest in diverse product application and extended ranges. This technology opportunity video highlights NASA developed RFID technologies originally purposed for the International Space Station that have Earth applications in healthcare, retail, logistics, and many more industries. We invite you to explore these technologies and other NASA developed technologies available for licensing by visiting our website http://technology.jsc.nasa.gov.

Listen to the way he says "sensors" and "income statement"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:12:25 PM by faded mike »
           -them

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • "Umm, WTF ???"
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

Listen to the way he says "sensors" and "income statement"

OM f'n G . . . ESL and flat out NO business experience.
RE can never win this argument.
FE can't be disproved.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »
Pretty good video. Even the if the camera was 20 feet in elevation there would still be a bulge of water 456 feet in height.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 12:18:23 AM »
Pretty good video. Even the if the camera was 20 feet in elevation there would still be a bulge of water 456 feet in height.
If you look at some of the questions raised maybe it's not such "Undeniable Proof" of a Flat Earth.
. . . . . . . . . .
Then did you bother to read the comments? Look at this one:
Great Trick, congratulation it took me a while to find out what you did! Please take a look at the oil platforms, they disappear at the footage of sea level (2:53). I took the time to cut it out in photoshop and lay the pictures one over the other and it gets obvious that your photo is another island group, the one I think is the claimed Anacapa island group while the other is the  at least Santa Cruz Island if not the whole San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz Island group. Also please notice the angle, where the island can be seen (0:13) and the angle claimed at the google earth picture  (0:34). Please everyone just go to google maps and watch for your self (miramar beach, santa barbara) zoom out and see the very tiny Anacapa group and the much larger San-Miguel, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz Island group.

And have a look at: Curvature Analysis: Anacapa Islands from Miramar Beach and flatearth.ws uses the camera height of 3 ft.