Were-penguins IX, The Templars map.

• 106 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Were-penguins IX, The Templars map.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »
The only reason the hypnotist seemed so powerful in the last game is because we figured out who the evil ones were early on. If Jura hadn't saved NSS we wouldn't have suspected Jura much at all, not any more than any other player. NSS would have been dead and I wouldn't have been able to hypnotize him every chance I got! lol
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
That defeats the purpose of the hypnotist.

No it doesn't.   Remove all the special roles and go back to the basics and you will see why that logic is BS.  Base game, nothing actually blocks a penguin killing.  There is a chance for a kill to fail as a result of a specific role protecting, but that doesn't block the penguin from killing, as it only works if the penguin chooses the player being blocked.  It doesn't prevent the penguin's base ability.  Now add special roles and those roles should not prevent the use of base abilities.

I would be more inclined that if Penguin or Nasa is hypnotized, their kill vote results in a random selection which can result in a failure, but still gives chance of success.  So if I'm the penguin, am hypnotized, and I select player A to kill, a random selection occurs which could result in Player D being selected.  If player D can't be killed by the penguins, the narrator just says the kill attempt failed in game.

I also don't think the narrator should directly tell someone when they are hypnotized, except for the Channeler.  A player who is hypnotized should only be aware of being hypnotized through the results.  So if I hypnotize the psychic, they should never know they were hypnotized and the data they got could be wrong.  If I hypnotize the vigilante, they will only know that they were hypnotized if they kill someone they didn't choose.  Same as the penguins and NASA.

Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
The only reason the hypnotist seemed so powerful in the last game is because we figured out who the evil ones were early on. If Jura hadn't saved NSS we wouldn't have suspected Jura much at all, not any more than any other player. NSS would have been dead and I wouldn't have been able to hypnotize him every chance I got! lol

So you weren't the Channeler last game and were a hypnotist.  You shouldn't have known that you were hypnotized then.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:08:31 AM by NotSoSkeptical »
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
Count me in, milord.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
I knew that I was hypnotized because I was unable to use the hypnotist power.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
I knew that I was hypnotized because I was unable to use the hypnotist power.

You shouldn't have known that your power didn't work.  The only character that knows that an ability has been used on them is the Channeler.
Rabinoz RIP

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »
Where is that in the rules? Did you not know that you were hypnotized when you were hypnotized?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
I haven't read over all the roles yet but I will say this, I think the penguins need a bump. Their record isn't so great. Maybe an extra penguin?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »
I have an excellent record as a penguin!

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »
Where is that in the rules? Did you not know that you were hypnotized when you were hypnotized?

Do you know when a bodyguard is protecting you?  No, you don't.  Channeler specifically states:

Channeller - Is informed when someone uses a special ability on them and what that ability is

By definition that means no one else should know when a special ability is used unless it is revealed in game narration.

Yes I was and I probably shouldn't have known.
Rabinoz RIP

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
There is no "by definition no one else should know" there. That's you making it up! The channeller is told because they deflect the power onto someone else, but that doesn't mean that you can't be told if you're hypnotized.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
Jane will debate that there was no flaw.

But the game was stacked with too many players that had abilities.

The ability to negate a kill by bringing a player back to life.

Penguins unable to kill if hypnotized.
There were flaws; in PM with Jura we talked about ways to limit the power of those abilities, and some have been enacted. The problem is last game, whatever else was the case, team evil had supremely bad luck with one side getting outed almost immediately, and the other being seriously suspected. That's gameplay, not a stacked deck. The hypnotist is only dangerous to team evil if there is one member of that team left, and the villagers know who that person is; in this game there is only going to be one hypnotist, and even if it is a) in play, b) a villager, and c) they get absurdly lucky and target the active member of team evil, the new rules allow for the other member of that team to still scan to ascertain someone's identity so it's not a total loss until there's one left. And when there is one left, it should be a disadvantage.

There are situations where things go badly for you. That's a consequence of people using strategy. if we get a repeat, sure, that indicates it's not just bad luck at play, but right now pretty much everyone except you seems to agree it was just that. Then you'd have my support for some limit, like a 1.5-day limit for a hypnotist to regain their power so they can't act on consecutive nights. Until then, just relax rather than being a sore loser.
The hypnotist is nothing but a jailer by another name, because there weren't jails at the North Pole. No one had a problem with it back in CFC's game. The issue is with the unique circumstances of that game.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Jane will debate that there was no flaw.

But the game was stacked with too many players that had abilities.

The ability to negate a kill by bringing a player back to life.

Penguins unable to kill if hypnotized.
There were flaws; in PM with Jura we talked about ways to limit the power of those abilities, and some have been enacted. The problem is last game, whatever else was the case, team evil had supremely bad luck with one side getting outed almost immediately, and the other being seriously suspected. That's gameplay, not a stacked deck. The hypnotist is only dangerous to team evil if there is one member of that team left, and the villagers know who that person is; in this game there is only going to be one hypnotist, and even if it is a) in play, b) a villager, and c) they get absurdly lucky and target the active member of team evil, the new rules allow for the other member of that team to still scan to ascertain someone's identity so it's not a total loss until there's one left. And when there is one left, it should be a disadvantage.

There are situations where things go badly for you. That's a consequence of people using strategy. if we get a repeat, sure, that indicates it's not just bad luck at play, but right now pretty much everyone except you seems to agree it was just that. Then you'd have my support for some limit, like a 1.5-day limit for a hypnotist to regain their power so they can't act on consecutive nights. Until then, just relax rather than being a sore loser.
The hypnotist is nothing but a jailer by another name, because there weren't jails at the North Pole. No one had a problem with it back in CFC's game. The issue is with the unique circumstances of that game.

In all teh games we have had, we have only had 1 game where the penguins had won (the first one). And not to baost but had people listened to my original biased stab in the dark, we would have won that too  :P

Penguins are evil because they have super powers above that of any man. To give every villager a unique power than can steal, reveal identities of, hypnotize (or jail), revive killed players, dead players participating and organizing resistance etc  takes away the power and fearfulness of the penguins. In fact, the penguin team has become the weakest in an effort to 'give the villagers a chance'

I think a simplier game can be more suspenseful. Say 10+ players and an unknown number of penguins (2-4) No special powers to villagers and dead players can not communicate in the main gameplay. If a special power is given to a villager, make it limited, eg a psychic can only ask 3 times. At the moment, there is no fear of being lynched or getting murdered because you just play on as normal it seems.

Dead players can obviously have fun in the spectator thread, but there should be a real consequence of being killed.

The idea of the game is to have fun. The thought of a penguin victory shouldn't in itself be considered a loss, but before the outset of the game, it should be a coin toss chance as to who will win. If we grant villagers all these special roles and allow dead people to communicate and organize a resistance. If we can revive dead players etc then we know before the game starts as to who will win.

These are penguins! Disgusting, vile, blood thirsty, murderous and super natural  If anything the game should be stacked in their favour!

Instead we have the villagers who can not only raise the dead but communicate with them. I cant think of how Necromancy can be applied to a force of good. Maybe its us villagers that are the evil ones

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
That's not true, the penguins won at least 3 times.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
Anyway, this is not the time to discuss the merits of a simple game or complex one. If you want to play with just a psychic and penguins, narrate a game.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »
2nd Lieutenant, Aeval, commander of scout sections Corvus and Beira, disciple of Cathubodua, Sister Militant, stood eyes closed 90 foot up on the balcony of the old lighthouse high on beacon hill. Hands resting lightly on the iron balustrade. Dressed in grey habit and black cowled scapular,colours of the hooded crow, sacred bird of her order.

Whipped by the ever-present wind, her red hair formed a nimbus around her head, giving truth to the meaning of her name "the burning fire". She liked this place, could feel the old power that permeated the granite isle.

The lightest of vibration through her fingers attested to the landing of the oldest of the resident Ravens, others circled further out and beyond them the crows.

He spoke to her mind.

"Sister, you call on the old pacts, and yet you plan to bring evil where there is only peace"

She could feel the trickery and humour as his words crackled in her head, she snorted her reply.

"War bird, you forget your calling. We are creatures of conflict you and I, what use is peace to us? I may not bring you a battle field, but death's banquet will be served here, I feel it, it is yours. If you would be my ears and eyes, you would honour me"

His laughter sounded as sandpaper in her skull.

"Well put little witch, little has fallen from our cliffs of late, a mild winter does not kill, and the storm tides have been empty, nothing moves here that you will not be aware, I promise."  With that he launched into the wind.

She opened her eyes, the sun was settling into the ocean, a glowing streak of red running from the horizon across the sea towards her, the blood road she would one day cross.

(The Blood road to Lundy)

Tomorrow they'd gather for prayers at lookout cairn, the visitors would come soon, and with them an ancient evil she had been tasked to defeat, a cold gust made her shiver, time to prepare.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:29:33 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »

Would Sunday Evening (GMT) be an acceptable time to start?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
sounds good to me!

I wish I was one of the sisters.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:35 PM »
Sunday sounds good to me!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »
I've been out of commission for two days, what's going on?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »
Sunday is ages away, boooo
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
For bugabooinoz;

Bugaboo!

Bugaboo!

Bugaboo!
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 12:39:36 AM »
Sunday is ages away, boooo

There are too many people that wuss out for the weekend.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »

Stuff! Are you in, can such headgear get in a helicopter, will you go feral and live with the sitka?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:18 AM »

Stuff! Are you in, can such headgear get in a helicopter, will you go feral and live with the sitka?

Yes, I can keep my antennas out of the rotor blades. Won't make that mistake again.   >:(

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
But, but, but...

Bugabooinoz.  :'(
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
We should invite people from the other site...extend an olive branch.
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
We should invite people from the other site...extend an olive branch.

I've tried that several times. Usually they tell me to go fuck myself. And that's when our relations weren't so icy as they are now.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
I don't even know why our relations are more icy now. Did something else happen? lol

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
Well they're more icy with me specifically and probably boydster since we banned them for a few days for being obnoxious here.