Exclusive look at Apollo 14 NASA photos

• 21 Replies

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Exclusive look at Apollo 14 NASA photos
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
Exclusive look at Apollo 14 photos

Disclaimer: This is a preview, and may be subject to change.

Apollo 14 took high-resolution photos of the lunar surface from orbit with a modified Hycon KA-7A Aerial Reconnaissance Camera. The results produced from these military-grade optics and large-format film would be of incredible high resolutions.

And while other large-format photos of the lunar surface taken on Apollo 15, 16 and 17 are online in a mind-boggling 4.8 Gigapixels, high enough to discern Apollo equipment at the landing sites, high-resolution scans of the Apollo 14 KA-7A photos are missing.

The magazines used in the KA-7A camera were numbered AS14-79 and AS14-80.

First, below is a list of currently online sources for these photos, albeit in low and moderate resolution. (To my knowledge)

1. Scans of  Apollo 14 image catalog by Awe130
Notes: Awe130 has high-resolution scans of his catalog, but does not want to publish them. Perhaps someone from here can request access to the high-res scans?

2. Scans of Apollo 14 image catalog by NASA
Notes: As14-80 frames start at PDF file page 9.

3. Scans of Apollo 14 science report
Notes: page 282 til 288

4. Two AS14-80 frames scanned from (presumed) prints, see two links bottom page

5. Various images from his own, and other sources. Provided by Paul

6. The US National Archives has two frames:
6.1: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701241
6.2: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701244

So why am I making this reply?:
Because I have acquired 10 20"x24"inch prints of magazine AS14-80 and together with Paul, am working on scanning and processing them.

We will present an other source for the images, and in much greater resolution and fidelity than previously online. Most of our scans were previously only available as ultra-low resolution scans from the Apollo 14 photo catalog.

We will be providing the highest-resolution scans of these photos online to date.

I use my Epson Perfection V750 Pro to scan the gargantuan print in 6 sections, making sure there is ample overlap between the scans. Vuescan 9 outputs two files, a contrast/brightness enhanced scan, and the uncorrected RAW scan. Both files are saved as 16-bit grayscale uncompressed TIFFs. Sharp prints are scanned at 800 DPI, soft prints are scanned at 300 DPI.

Paul then uses photoshop to merge the 6 individual scans back into a single image. The combined scan is saved in two versions; the uncorrected RAW version, and a contrast enhanced, sharpened version to try and get the most detail out of the prints possible. Due to the nature of this process, there may be some visible stitching where two scans meet.

The resultant image resolution is 307 Megapixels.

A photo of one of the prints:

A Full-HD preview of the links below:

Full-res 307-Megapixel download of raw merge
Full-res 307-Megapixel download of the contrast enhanced/sharpened merge

Once all the prints have been scanned and processed all the individual scans and merges will be provided, in RAW and enhanced.

Please tell me what you think! I and Paul would like feedback.

Kind regards,
Niels
):

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
Re: Exclusive look at Apollo 14 NASA photos
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »

Kind regards,
Niels

Seems like not Exclusive but fake.

this seems to be a work created by aging a plaque. The vertical lines formed during the production of the plate are still noticeable. at least you could have been convincing by erasing these vertical lines with a piece of photoshop .

Say hello to Paul for me.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 02:07:06 AM »

Kind regards,
Niels

this seems to be a work created by aging a plaque. The vertical lines formed during the production of the plate are still noticeable. at least you could have been convincing by erasing these vertical lines with a piece of photoshop .

because these photos are pretty rare, I would call these prints exclusive.

Aging what kind of plaque?

Why would I edit out the lines, they are part of the print. and I dont have photoshop

Hmm, are you suggesting I made these prints?
):

nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »
Niels, these are insane. Is this the only photo you have, or are there more to be scanned?

I have photoshop if you want me to make edits to fix the lines (warning you my photoshop knowledge is somewhat poor so I'll do my best).

Also, I'd love to see the several-gigapixel images from A15-17, those sound awesome.

Thanks so much for this, and Paul as well.
he puts his penis in the mouth of the other one and FORCIBLY GIVES HER A BLOWJOB OF TRUTH and then his penis ERRUPTS IN AN EXPLOSION IF TRUTH and she is INSTANTLY DECAPITATED

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
Niels, these are insane. Is this the only photo you have, or are there more to be scanned?

I have photoshop if you want me to make edits to fix the lines (warning you my photoshop knowledge is somewhat poor so I'll do my best).

Also, I'd love to see the several-gigapixel images from A15-17, those sound awesome.

Thanks so much for this, and Paul as well.
I got more, working on scanning those.

http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/apollo/browse

Panoramic Camera
, AS15-AS17
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Paul has done some amazing research work once again, lets have a look!

Scan of AS14-80-10441 compared to LRO

AS14-80-10441 is a high-magnification photo of the Theophilus crater, see here Note the website preview is only half the resolution of a raw scan tile.

The Apollo 16 ITEK Panoramic Mapping Camera compared to the Hycon KA-7A (Keep in mind AS16 is a NASA scan from the original film, and ours is only a scan of a print.)
):

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »

Kind regards,
Niels

Why would I edit out the lines, they are part of the print. and I dont have photoshop

I've just said they are fake. But perhaps it has been created by who has sold this photo to you. I just suggested you to use photoshop and erase the vertical lines that formed during the production of the plate. This is not your mistake. In this form, everybody like me can get its being fake. But you can correct it by a bit photoshop or send someone to correct it, if you don't know the photoshop.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »
I've just said they are fake.
Unless you post evidence of your claim that "they are fake" all we have are the empty unsupported words from an extremely unreliable witness.

In other words your claims are worthless on a Global scale. Post some good evidence for your claim and people might listen.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 02:51:07 AM »

Kind regards,
Niels

I've just said they are fake. But perhaps it has been created by who has sold this photo to you. I just suggested you to use photoshop and erase the vertical lines that formed during the production of the plate. This is not your mistake. In this form, everybody like me can get its being fake. But you can correct it by a bit photoshop or send someone to correct it, if you don't know the photoshop.
Created by aging a plaque? yes, the prints do indeed show their age. The paper has yellowed around the corners slightly, and there is some kind of glue damage. I find it hard to believe something, about 40 years ago, decided to  put a few photographic papers in a drawer, so he could pretend to put lunar surface images on them.

I feel the need to clarify that these are NOT laser or inktjet prints, but actual darkroom prints. If they had the darkroom paper age for such a long time, and then made the print, the results would be horrible! Like film photographic paper has an  expiration date, after which quality declines.

Given the photo provided in the OP did not exist online in that resolution before, he could not have faked it. A photo of the same area with comparable resolution simply did not exist until the 2009 LRO!

If you want to give it a try I can send you the individual scans.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:59:04 AM by Denspressure »
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
Another comparison by Paul.

This print was not sharp, so I only scanned at 300DPI. The resolution is still good:

Here is a list with the photos and the progression:

10412: Not yet scanned!
10441: Individual scans, merged.
10444: Individual scans, merged.
10453: Individual scans, merged.
10455: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10459: Individual scans, merged.
10466: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10503: Individual scans, merged.
10518: Not yet scanned!
10535: Individual scans, merged.
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
After several months of hard work, this project comes to a close. I'd like to thank everybody for their help and insight.

All of the 10 prints have been scanned and can be found on this archival website.

AS14-80 prints:
Subject: 20x24" b/w darkroom prints
Medium: 20x24" darkroom paper
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750 Pro
Scan software: Vuescan 9
Scan Resolution: Between 300 and 800 DPI, depends on print sharpness.
File extension: Tiff

Notes:
!LARGE FILE SIZES!
File size of individual frames varies from 17 to 125MB.
File size of merges varies from 124mb to 600mb.

Each print is scanned in 6 sections, making sure there is ample overlap between the scans.
Vuescan 9 outputs two files, a contrast/brightness enhanced scan, and the
uncorrected RAW scan. Both files are saved as 16-bit grayscale
uncompressed TIFFs. Sharp prints are scanned at 800 DPI, soft prints are
scanned at 300 DPI.

Paul/OneBigMonkey then uses photoshop to merge the 6
individual scans back into a single image. The combined scan is saved in
two versions; the uncorrected RAW version, and a contrast enhanced,
sharpened version to try and get the most detail out of the prints
possible. Due to the nature of this process, there may be some visible
stitching where scans meet.

Individual scans provided as AS14-80-10###-C#-I#-F#, merged files uploaded with 'merge-C#-I#' suffix.

C1I1= Colour fade/cast correction enabled. ICE Infrared Spot/dust removal enabled set to light. I2 = set to medium. Highlight / dark values enhancement for greater contrast, usually very conservative to not blow highlights/dark values.

C0I0 / RAW = Colour fade/cast correction disabled. ICE Infrared Spot/dust removal disabled. Unprocessed scan.

F## = frame number of set or single image scanned in multiple sections.

Below is a list of full-res merged files as JPGs (Between 8 and 75 MB each)

AS14-80-10412
AS14-80-10441
AS14-80-10444
AS14-80-10453
AS14-80-10455
AS14-80-10459
AS14-80-10466
AS14-80-10503
AS14-80-10518
AS14-80-10535

Paul will continue to look at the files in closer detail and compare them to other space missions to the moon, as seen in my previous posts. New developments will be posted here.

I am always searching for more of these photos, so if you know any please notify me, so I can try and get it online.

If you are interested in having one of these prints, send me a PM.

Best regards,
Niels
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
Yesterday I received all AS14-79 and AS14-80 photos from the NSSDCA. Looks like a film copy "scanned" with a Nikon D750 and 60mm micro nikkor.

The 25mb TIFF files are problematic to open, it seems that in addition to the full resolution (6004 by 4002) photo there is a preview and thumbnail view in the file. So there are three photos in one file. It's only correctly opened with software that understands Nikon RAW. I will convert the files to something common for publication.

Unfortunately "old style" jpeg compression is used in the files, so when you zoom in you see JPG compression blocks. I have asked if the NSSDCA can supply NIKON. NEF files without compression.

I will keep this topic updated.

):

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
Nice. Impressive work
Be gentle

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 03:47:19 AM »
Disclaimer: I and Paul are not from NASA or endorsed by them.  We are doing this in our own free time.

This archive contains 251 photos taken on Apollo 14 by a modified Hycon KA-7A camera. These magazines were designated as AS14-79 and AS14-80.

I would like to thank the NSSDCA for scanning and providing magazine AS14-79 and AS14-80.

I would like to thank Paul for processing the NSSDCA .TIFF files.

These photos were acquired by requesting NSSDCA dataset PSPG-00256. A film or digital copy of AS14-79 and AS14-80 was requested. The NSSDCA scanned a film for this request and several months later the resultant digital dataset was provided.

Each file is 23 MB and has a resolution of 6016*4016 pixels.

The NSSDCA provided TIFF files appear to be NIKON D750 raw files, which can only be correctly opened with special software. Paul was kind enough to batch-process all raw files.  Each file was put through a DNG converted, Photoshop will then allow it to be imported normally. This caused the images to turn brown, which was corrected by turning them grayscale.

Thanks everybody for your support.

Good night.
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 05:35:24 AM »
Paul and I did not sit still, here a taste of the research done on the photos. Paul has been able to find the location for every AS14-80 and AS14-79 photo.

Location of the AS14-80 photos from NASA:

Location of AS14-80 photos scanned by me:

Let's compare AS14-80-10441 with the other sources over the years.

It can be seen that the large-scale photography of the Apollo missions is very competitive against modern probes,  even against the LRO.

And what about the AS14-79 photos? Although the magazine did not work well, Rosa tried to photograph the Apollo 14 landing site during the landing. Did he succeed?

Hell yes! Cone Crater can be seen on a number of photographs. Let's zoom in:

The red arrow points to Cone Crater, the largest crater at the landing site. If the magazine had worked properly, Rosa might have photographed the LM shortly after landing, or perhaps even during the landing. Whether AS14-79 had enough resolution for that, I'm not sure. The photos were taken in a higher orbit than AS14-80.

The website with all the research will be done soon!
):

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Yeah sure, NASA has verified you. You have verified NASA. Both you are verifying yourselves. This is convincing?

Go back to here and announce USA:2 , world: 4 https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=78504.0
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
Paul is done with the page. I will share the link, but first i'll show two more comparisons

Let's look at a nice crater formation with waste from the impact:

AS14-80-10444 (Large file)

First the Apollo photo on the left, and the Lunar Orbiter photo on the right:

There is no point in using the LO with this magnification, so we won't:

And here another one, AS14-80-10445(Large file)

With some discussion you could say that the Apollo 14 photos match the modern probes, if not slightly better.

Research on all my other AS14-80 photos, and a few from the NSSDCA , can be found on paul's website:
http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/hycon/hycon.html

His other pages are also well worth reading.
):

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
Yeah sure, NASA has verified you. You have verified NASA. Both you are verifying yourselves. This is convincing?

Go back to here and announce USA:2 , world: 4 https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=78504.0
Look at the post after yours!
  • SELENE is not NASA!
    SELENE, better known in Japan by its nickname Kaguya, was the second Japanese lunar orbiter spacecraft following the Hiten probe. Produced by the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science and the National Space Development Agency, the spacecraft was launched on September 14, 2007.

• Chandrayaan-1 was not NASA!
    Chandrayaan-1 was India's first lunar probe. It was launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation in October 2008, and operated until August 2009. The mission included a lunar orbiter and an impactor. Launch date: 22 October 2008
    Rocket: PSLV-XL C11
Time to try again Mr NASAphobic Wise One. Show that you are also anti-Japanese and anti-Indian too as well as being anti-American.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
Rab is a smart guy.
):

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Rab is a smart guy.
I'm trying, some find me very trying at times!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »
Rab is a smart guy.

No he is not. Just a poor Australian NASA office feeds him with baby food.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 07:23:21 PM »
Rab is a smart guy.
No he is not. Just a poor Australian NASA office feeds him with baby food.
Well that baby food must make me smarter than you. At least I knew that there was independent evidence of the lunar landings!
  • SELENE is not NASA!
    SELENE, better known in Japan by its nickname Kaguya, was the second Japanese lunar orbiter spacecraft following the Hiten probe. Produced by the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science and the National Space Development Agency, the spacecraft was launched on September 14, 2007.

• Chandrayaan-1 was not NASA!
    Chandrayaan-1 was India's first lunar probe. It was launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation in October 2008, and operated until August 2009. The mission included a lunar orbiter and an impactor. Launch date: 22 October 2008
    Rocket: PSLV-XL C11
And I'm smart enough to know the true shape of the earth and you aren't so run off so stop fouling up Denspressure's informative thread.

Go back and play your Were-Nazis or whatever you do best.