Intercontinental ballistic missile

• 1723 Replies

JackBlack

Re: Intercontinental ballistic missile
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »
The arrow obviously accelerates from zero to maximum velocity, but it's is extreme short order.
Yes, due to the short time the bow is stretched. But the entire time the bow is bushing the arrow forward, the arrow is being accelerated.
After that, it slows down, but quite slowly.
Again, for the comparison to rockets: The entire time the engine is running the rocket is being accelerated.

To have max thrust on a vertical will not produce acceleration after initial standing start to acceleration to reach constant velocity.
Again, stop repeating the same lie.
All the evidence shows you to be wrong and you have made it clear you have no interest in performing the experiment yourself.
A rocket will continue to accelerate while its engine is on.

You're going to have to find something better than that. It shows nothing against what I've been saying.
No, it quite clearly does.
Even without being able to tell what the acceleration is, we can easily tell that it doesn't' stop dead when the first stage finishes and instead continues moving upwards even before the second stage kicks in.

It just means that nobody is proving them to be wrong
No, it just means that you are ignoring all the proof that they are wrong.

otherwise I wouldn't still bother to argue my side.
Well you aren't really arguing your side.
You are repeating the same refuted nonsense again and again while ignoring things that show you to be wrong.
That isn't arguing a side, that is ignoring that you been refuted and pretending you are still correct.

You have provided absolutely nothing to justify your many false claims, meanwhile plenty has been provided that refutes them.

« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »
Scepi was given an example usig numbers.
I dont think he does math.

Scepit -
You realise if you have enough starting velocity (money in the bank) any decelleration (rate of withdrawls) would not result in an instant 0velocity/ bankaccount unless the decell equalled 100% of what you had.

Can you math?
Yes/ no will suffice.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
Lack of constant energy applied???  What the hell are you talking about?  What about the part where I say there “is still a constant applied force”. 

And, the cats will impart a force when they “push/springboard” off.  Really?  You know what I meant.

What are you, ten years old?  I was trying to lighten the discussion with my cats but since you want to play those childish games I’ll spell it out for you.

You have two skateboards.  One with a thirty pound weight and the second with no additional weight.  They’re both on the same level and smooth surface.  They both have the same applied constant force.  I’m saying the lighter board will reach a higher constant speed than the heavier one.  Clear enough for you or do I need my niece to get her crayons and draw you some pictures?

Mike
Let me get this right.
Are you saying that you push both boards with the same force an d let them freely roll away until they both stop but in the meantime the heavier board will be much slower than the lighter board or are you applying constant force to both boards so they're always under your apllied energy and not freely rolling along on their own.
Maybe those crayons aren't a bad idea.
Summon your niece. ;)
Okay, that was funny. :)

It is a constant applied force.  The applied force remains after a constant speed is reached.  Assume each is driven by identical battery operated motors that you turn on with a wireless remote so there is no physical interactions with either board.

Mike
One will have a slower speed than the other.
What does this have to do with what I'm saying?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »
The arrow obviously accelerates from zero to maximum velocity, but it's is extreme short order.
Yes, due to the short time the bow is stretched. But the entire time the bow is bushing the arrow forward, the arrow is being accelerated.
Yep, the springboard start.

Quote from: JackBlack
After that, it slows down, but quite slowly.
Yep, as I've been saying.

Again, for the comparison to rockets: The entire time the engine is running the rocket is being accelerated.
Not vertically it isn't, at max thrust.

You're going to have to find something better than that. It shows nothing against what I've been saying.
No, it quite clearly does.
Even without being able to tell what the acceleration is, we can easily tell that it doesn't' stop dead when the first stage finishes and instead continues moving upwards even before the second stage kicks in.

If it continued moving upwards the second stage would not be able to kick in.
The first stage stops dead and falls as the second stage immediately kicks in.

« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
Quite possibly hes redefined thrust...

JackBlack

« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
And for a rocket, the entire time the engine is on counts as a "springboard start"

No, it is literally the opposite.
You claim it stops dead instantly rather than continuing to go up.

Not vertically it isn't, at max thrust.
Again, all the evidence shows you are wrong.
You need more than your baseless assertions.

If it continued moving upwards the second stage would not be able to kick in.
Why wouldn't it?
What is there to magically prevent it?

The first stage stops dead and falls as the second stage immediately kicks in.
Go watch the video. THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN!
You just baselessly asserting crap has no effect on reality.
Reality will not bend to your demands.
It is quite clear:
The first stage stops, the rocket continues moving upwards while the first stage is jettisoned which moves outwards (and still upwards) and the second stage kicks in while the rocket is still moving upwards.

There is literally nothing supporting your nonsensical claim that it magically stops dead.
it is refuted by countless videos and simple experiments.

« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Lack of constant energy applied???  What the hell are you talking about?  What about the part where I say there “is still a constant applied force”. 

And, the cats will impart a force when they “push/springboard” off.  Really?  You know what I meant.

What are you, ten years old?  I was trying to lighten the discussion with my cats but since you want to play those childish games I’ll spell it out for you.

You have two skateboards.  One with a thirty pound weight and the second with no additional weight.  They’re both on the same level and smooth surface.  They both have the same applied constant force.  I’m saying the lighter board will reach a higher constant speed than the heavier one.  Clear enough for you or do I need my niece to get her crayons and draw you some pictures?

Mike
Let me get this right.
Are you saying that you push both boards with the same force an d let them freely roll away until they both stop but in the meantime the heavier board will be much slower than the lighter board or are you applying constant force to both boards so they're always under your apllied energy and not freely rolling along on their own.
Maybe those crayons aren't a bad idea.
Summon your niece. ;)
Okay, that was funny. :)

It is a constant applied force.  The applied force remains after a constant speed is reached.  Assume each is driven by identical battery operated motors that you turn on with a wireless remote so there is no physical interactions with either board.

Mike
One will have a slower speed than the other.
What does this have to do with what I'm saying?
You asked what I was saying and I replied.
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
Here's a good video on How Rocket Engines Work - Part 1 - Thrust and Efficiency. Seems like there's a lot of rocket science involved...

« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »

Every thing you say on this subject is wrong. Go watch a video of any rocket launch and maximum velocity is not achieved instantaneously, that would be impossible. Even in the case of a simple projectile maximum velocity is not achieved instantaneously. Watch this.....the arrow is clearly seen accelerating. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
And for a rocket, the entire time the engine is on counts as a "springboard start"
Nope, it does not.
Just a full thrust launch and then it's constant velocity under full thrust.

No, it is literally the opposite.
You claim it stops dead instantly rather than continuing to go up.
At constant velocity it stops dead when the full thrust stops dead.
As long as there's thrust there will be upward movement.

There is literally nothing supporting your nonsensical claim that it magically stops dead.
it is refuted by countless videos and simple experiments.
Nothing has refuted what I've said.

« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2019, 03:17:38 PM »
Scepti is a living pricness bride meme.

Please define thrust!!!!

My car is running at constant 100km/s velocity.
I am using gas power to maintain my thrust against the wind drag and frictional forces that want me to slow down.
Lets say these negative forces add up to decell of 10km/s/s.
I suddenly throw my car into neutral = 0thrust.
Do I stop instantly?
Or do i stop 10seconds later?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »
Scepti is a living pricness bride meme.

Please define thrust!!!!

My car is running at constant 100km/s velocity.
I am using gas power to maintain my thrust against the wind drag and frictional forces that want me to slow down.
Lets say these negative forces add up to decell of 10km/s/s.
I suddenly throw my car into neutral = 0thrust.
Do I stop instantly?
Or do i stop 10seconds later?
When your car is doing all this vertically then we can discuss it.

Trying to use this against a rocket launch and vertical flight is pointless and going nowhere.

« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »
Ok
My car is driving up a vertical ramp.
Direction dowsnt matter.

« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
Also
Please defien thrust for us

JackBlack

« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
Again, all available evidence, including that from model rockets, refutes you.
You refusing to accept that and you refusing to do the experiments yourself does not change that.

No need to wait for it to be vertical. The only difference is weight causing acceleration.
You have provided no justification as to why it should be magically different or why it should magically mean that things magically stop dead when they are no longer being pushed upwards instead of continuing upwards and slowing down as all experiments ever conducted have shown.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

So at full thrust, the rocket/missile rises up, let's say, at 1 foot above the ground, it has already reached it's maximum constant velocity and goes no faster? If I have that right, what is this based on?

« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
You refusing to accept that and you refusing to do the experiments yourself does not change that.

No need to wait for it to be vertical. The only difference is weight causing acceleration.
You have provided no justification as to why it should be magically different or why it should magically mean that things magically stop dead when they are no longer being pushed upwards instead of continuing upwards and slowing down as all experiments ever conducted have shown.
Did you have a chance to see the video I attached earlier?  IMHO, it's a clear example of how a two stage rocket works and a very clear example of what happens when it reaches engine cutoff. 

Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Ok
My car is driving up a vertical ramp.
Direction dowsnt matter.
Direction does matter.
We are dealing with vertical flight not horizontal movement and road/ground friction and also uniform atmosphere which we wouldn't be dealing with on a vertical flight.

There's a lot of difference.
If you want to use your car to somehow go up a vertical ramp then set it out as to how you think that would work.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
 >:(
Also
Please defien thrust for us
Energetic push. Max thrust = maximum available energy and force to push.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »

If you think driving a car up a wall is the same as driving it on a flat surface then I can't help you.

JackBlack

« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »
Direction does matter.
WHY?
So far all you have done is assert that.

We are dealing with vertical flight not horizontal movement and road/ground friction and also uniform atmosphere which we wouldn't be dealing with on a vertical flight.
And none of that should magically make it stop dead instantly.
Not dealing with those means it should go even further.
I would say the big difference is that its weight is accelerating it downwards, but even then that just makes it slow down faster, not magically instantly.

If you think driving a car up a wall is the same as driving it on a flat surface then I can't help you.
Good thing I never said they were the same.
Yes, I should have clarified, the only significant difference.
If you have a car attached to a vertical wall such that the contact between the tires and the wall can hold and move the car, you have basically the same thing, with the main distinction being weight.
A car in horizontal motion only needs to combat air resistance to keep a constant speed, but a car going vertically (or up an incline) also needs to combat its weight.

There is no reason for it to magically stop dead.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2019, 11:11:07 PM »

So at full thrust, the rocket/missile rises up, let's say, at 1 foot above the ground, it has already reached it's maximum constant velocity and goes no faster? If I have that right, what is this based on?
If full thrust gets you 1 foot off the ground then you will have a thrusting rocket, unbalanced at 1 foot before it topples over and turns into a fireball.

A rocket is designed to create max thrust to mass ration to propel that rocket from zero to constant velocity is super short order to give it stability in flight and also to arc to a target.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2019, 11:12:21 PM »

Did you have a chance to see the video I attached earlier?  IMHO, it's a clear example of how a two stage rocket works and a very clear example of what happens when it reaches engine cutoff. 

Point to the exact time it actually shows what you say it shows.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2019, 11:28:15 PM »
Good thing I never said they were the same.
Yes, I should have clarified, the only significant difference.
If you have a car attached to a vertical wall such that the contact between the tires and the wall can hold and move the car, you have basically the same thing, with the main distinction being weight.
A car in horizontal motion only needs to combat air resistance to keep a constant speed, but a car going vertically (or up an incline) also needs to combat its weight.

It doesn't magically stop dead. If it cannot accelerate then it has to stop dead, because there is no added momentum for a car going up a vertical at a constant velocity.

Basically the car has to constantly push it's mass up that wall using it's maximum force to simply keep that exact same push every nano second (for the sake of it). The very nano second that push is at zero the car ceases to move one millimetre upward. It will stop dead and then simply accelerate downwards by it's own mass which would simply be stored energy to get it that far which can now become potential energy the nano second it stops before acceleration back down which becomes reactionary energy from the action of that initial push.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »

If full thrust gets you 1 foot off the ground then you will have a thrusting rocket, unbalanced at 1 foot before it topples over and turns into a fireball.
That is why large rockets usually have gimbaled engines an automatic stability control that uses their inbuilt gyroscopes for a direction reference.

Quote from: sceptimatic
A rocket is designed to create max thrust to mass ration to propel that rocket from zero to constant velocity is super short order to give it stability in flight and also to arc to a target.
Small rockets can accelerate very fast and are usually launched on a rail to provide stability until they have enough velocity for aerodynamic and/or spin stabilisation.

But a large rocket cannot accelerate "from zero to constant velocity is super short" time - it simply does not have enough thrust.
Solid fuel rockets like most ICBMs have a high initial thrust and accelerate rapidly but certainly not in a "super short time".

The LGM-30G Minuteman ICBM has a launch mass of 79,432 pounds and first stage thrust of 203,158 pounds force, so it accelerates at 2.56 x g.
But with a maximum velocity of approximately 15,000 mph (after 3 stages) it still takes a lot of seconds to reach that velocity.
The missile's stability is provided by a quick-reacting, inertially guided control system.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »

You didn't answer the question, I'll phrase it another way. At full thrust at takeoff, when does the rocket stop accelerating?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2019, 12:14:35 AM »

That is why large rockets usually have gimbaled engines an automatic stability control that uses their inbuilt gyroscopes for a direction reference.
Have a think about the so called size of the rockets we are arguing about. The massive so called ICBM's and what not.
Gimballed engines?
They are supposedly solid fuel rockets. No engines needed. They would be just a firework and would have to work like a firework.
No gimbal would stabilise something like that.
They're gimmicks.

Quote from: rabinoz
Quote from: sceptimatic
Small rockets can accelerate very fast and are usually launched on a rail to provide stability until they have enough velocity for aerodynamic and/or spin stabilisation.
I have no issues with small rockets/missiles.

But a large rocket cannot accelerate "from zero to constant velocity is super short" time - it simply does not have enough thrust.
Of course it can't, because they do not do what we are told and are not what we are told. In my opinion. Like I've said time and again.

Solid fuel rockets like most ICBMs have a high initial thrust and accelerate rapidly but certainly not in a "super short time".
Again. Ballistic missiles on solid fuel will go zero to max velocity in short order and that's it. No more acceleration after that point.
I call this the springboard effect.
It's akin to any springboard zero to max thrust/applied energy.

The LGM-30G Minuteman ICBM has a launch mass of 79,432 pounds and first stage thrust of 203,158 pounds force, so it accelerates at 2.56 x g.
But with a maximum velocity of approximately 15,000 mph (after 3 stages) it still takes a lot of seconds to reach that velocity.
Have a think about the silliness of it all.

The missile's stability is provided by a quick-reacting, inertially guided control system.
Any diagrams on how this is supposed to work on a so called ICBM?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »
It doesn't magically stop dead. If it cannot accelerate then it has to stop dead, because there is no added momentum for a car going up a vertical at a constant velocity.
No, it does not stop dead, magically or otherwise.
When the acceleration stops the velocity would stay the same if there were no other forces.
But if a rocket or even a ball throw vertically stops accelerating it has gravity (or whatever you call the force pulling things down) slowing it down - a negative acceleration.

A ball vertically does not stop climbing immediately.
You could probably launch a base-ball vertically at 15 m/s. This ball would take over 1.5 seconds to stop and start falling.

If a rocket were travelling vertically at 1528 m/s (the maximum for one Go-Fast rocket flight ) it would take about 160 seconds to stop and start falling.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2019, 12:22:29 AM »
You didn't answer the question, I'll phrase it another way. At full thrust at takeoff, when does the rocket stop accelerating?
Almost immediately. Think of it like a springboard effect.
Any rocket at max thrust will springboard into the air and reach max velocity in extreme short order. After that it merely holds it's initial velocity to actually keep it gaining height.

It is not springboarding at any other time other than launch. All it's doing from that point on is max thrusting to attain upward movement of it's own fuel and structural mass against ever lessening atmosphere above and below.
It's what keeps the rocket constant but gives it no extra momentum if the thrust is cut dead. It simply cuts the rocket's upward push, dead.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:25 AM »

But if a rocket or even a ball throw vertically stops accelerating it has gravity (or whatever you call the force pulling things down) slowing it down - a negative acceleration.

A ball vertically does not stop climbing immediately.
You could probably launch a base-ball vertically at 15 m/s. This ball would take over 1.5 seconds to stop and start falling.
Understand that a vertically thrown ball will not reach constant velocity after acceleration ceases. It simply loses momentum, meaning it still has upward momentum.
This is not what I'm arguing.

If a rocket were travelling vertically at 1528 m/s (the maximum for one Go-Fast rocket flight ) it would take about 160 seconds to stop and start falling.
Under power, yes.
If you max thrusted that rocket and shut it down after acceleration then the rocket still goes vertical until that momentum is spent.

This is also not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is after acceleration and up to constant velocity.