Penguins vs NASA: Saving Santa, Game Thread

• 1123 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Penguins vs NASA: Saving Santa, Game Thread
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
The journey has been long, and bitter, and cold, but you have made it. You are in the North Pole, heading straight for Santa’s home.
Day begins, though it is so dark it is hard to tell. You have barely taken a step before there is a sudden flash of red light. And, there, standing in front of you, is a holographic Santa Claus.
“Halt!” he booms. “My security system has detected that not all of you mean well. Yes of course I have a security system, I have a bio-engineered reindeer with a glowing nose and the biggest toy factory on the planet, why wouldn’t I have security? My security brings me grave news. Two among you are werepenguins, while two serve that den of villainy called NASA.”
At those words, you look among yourselves, all bundled up. The cold in your bones is no longer purely from the arctic air.

Two muffle alarmed honks at the discovery of their subterfuge. Two clutch the mystical amulets they had been given by their superior to protect themselves against penguin attacks; it was a pity NASA did not have more of them.
“Be sure you are rid of them by the time you reach me,” Santa says. “Unfortunately they are too well concealed for me to locate directly, but they are there. Oh, yes, they are there.”
The hologram blinks out, and now the group stands alone, burdened with terrible knowledge.

Rules

During the day, the villagers can vote to lynch any of their number. A majority wins. Someone can also vote to cancel another’s vote. Whoever ends the day with the most votes dies; if there is a tie, no one dies. Simply write [I vote to lynch ___]
If a character wishes to commit suicide, they do not require a vote, they can do it to themselves instantly. Any votes for them to be lynched are immediately cancelled, and those that did so are free to vote again. This option is only open to villagers, and is only available should there be fewer villagers remaining than the total sum of penguins and NASA agents. Any command for the narrator in the thread should be in square brackets [] to make sure it doesn't get overlooked.

During the night, many things happen. There is no vote, but:
The psychic can do one of the following each night: they can ask after the alignment of a specific character, or ask for a hint towards a random threat be posted in the main thread. The psychic is on the side of the villagers.
The penguins will alternate nights, and can also choose between two options. They might decide to ask after the alignment of a player, or they could decide to kill. If they target a villager, the villager dies. If they target a NASA agent however they will be unable to kill them, and instead their identity will be outed to that agent.
The NASA agents perform the same as the penguins, with the roles reversed. Should a penguin and NASA agent target the same individual, the individual survives and once more the identity of the penguin is revealed to the NASA agent, and the identity of the NASA agent revealed to the penguin. The target learns both. 
The only way for a penguin or NASA agent to die is by lynching. A majority, meaning villagers most of the time, is required.

Days and nights last 24 hours of real time. The time this post was put up is the time of dawn and dusk.

If anyone wants to reveal their role in PM or the main thread they are free to do so, however it is still a bit of a stupid thing to do so you are advised against it. It is entirely possible for someone to lie.
However, as the villagers are required for NASA agents to defeat the penguins, or vice versa, there may be cause for an uneasy alliance.
The penguins win when the NASA agents and villagers are wiped out, or such a thing is unavoidable.
NASA wins when penguins and villagers are wiped out, or such a thing is unavoidable.
The villagers win when both NASA and the penguins are defeated.
Alternatively, no one wins should all villagers be dead, and the NASA agents or penguins both have one or both have two survivors, so don’t be too free with your killing.

Dead players may post only at night, but living players may commune with them even during the day via PM. This includes talking with dead penguins/NASA agents should anyone wish to pull a ‘the enemy of my enemy.’
When someone dies, it is revealed whether they were a penguin, NASA agent or human; any special roles are the ghost’s to reveal. Any knowledge on the alignments of other characters remains secret, and will be dispensed by their ghost as and when they wish it.
Any questions, let me know!

The two werepenguins have human names during the day, but their true penguin names are Piplup and Mumble. In the penguin language they roughly translate as, respectively, ‘Enemy of all that is good and holy, crusher of bones and drinker of souls,’ and ‘To speak quietly.’
The two NASA agents operate under the codenames Neil A and Neil DGT. An alarming number of NASA agents are called Neil.
Neil A and Piplup will PM me on night one. Neil DT and Mumble on night two, and so on. If Neil A dies, Neil DT will PM in their place also. If both members of one team are killed, their counterparts still only get one PM a night.

Lynching the narrator is enabled. Should this option get the majority of votes, the narrator will be killed and a figure better or worse will be forced to take my place. However, this person will be unaware of who’s what and so will randomly reassign all roles among players living and dead. It could assign all penguins/NASA agents to dead players, or resurrect them, or be entirely neutral. Keep on your toes.

There are two werepenguins, two NASA spies, and one psychic among the villagers. This is all that is known for certain. Everyone except the psychic has an additional role on top of their alignment.

Expedition Manifest:

Jura-Glenlivet II - Werepenguin Piplup discovered and killed
Boydster - the Boydster is flat
Crouton
TheLordBarst - One small step for NASA
Space Cowgirl
Chicken Fried Clucker - NASA agent Neil A discovered and executed
Shifter - NASA agent Neil DT executed and Christmas saved
DuckDodgers- Roasted, then resurrected
NotSoSkeptical - Werepenguin Mumble discovered and killed
Wise
Colonel Gaydafi
Bullwinkle - Should've watched out. Also, wildcard.
JimmyTheCrab - Reindeers do not forgive
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:19:19 AM by Jane »
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Re: Penguins vs NASA: Saving Santa, Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
Roles, some of which may be duplicated and some of which may not be in play.
There will be at most only one of the following per side: spirit magician, wildcard, amateur vigilante. The Thief's ability however may lead to duplicates of those.
The psychic is the only special role that is certain to appear, and also will only appear once.

Villager only roles
Wildcard - Their sole purpose is to make the villagers lose. It does not matter who wins. Even in death they are indistinguishable from a villager. They will PMed the role PMs for each role.
Vengeful Spirit - Has all the powers of a psychic, but only when they have been killed by either a penguin or NASA agent. If they were lynched, they can only ask after a name once, and only the name of one of those that voted for them.
Sacrifice - Similar to the bodyguard. Each night they can choose to protect someone. If that person is targetted and killed by a penguin or NASA agent, the sacrifice dies instead and becomes aware of the killer's identity.
Thief - At any time, this player may steal another character's role. The person they targeted will be informed and given a new ability at random. Be warned: this may lead to the thief changing alignment and becoming a penguin, NASA agent (with whatever power they had) or even wildcard. In this case the penguin and NASA agent become villagers with all the knowledge they previously possessed.
Empath - Attunes themselves to a target each night and learns that target's role, much like a psychic. If their target is killed, however, they die too. If they locate a penguin or NASA agent they are too traumatised to ever use their power again.

Villager, penguin and NASA roles
Voodoo priest - This player is putting together a magic potion to resurrect any of the killed. The resurrected do not have their special abilities, and may only be brought back on the second day or after. Wildcards will remain wildcards. Penguins and NASA agents cannot be brought back.
Bodyguard - At the end of each day, PMs the narrator a name and the person they choose will not be killed by any penguin or NASA agent during that night. They cannot protect themselves. Their power only works once, after that they will be too injured. If by some staggering coincidence the NASA agent, penguin and bodyguard all select the same person, it the bodyguard who will become aware of their identities in addition to the one they protected. If the bodyguard protects a penguin from a NASA agent, or vice versa, they will still lose their power and the victim will not learn of their attacker's identity.
Spirit Magician - When this person is killed, they may choose another person to resurrect with all their abilities intact. A voodoo priest, if they used their potion, will not gain another. Bodyguards will not be able to save a life a second time. Sacrifices though will keep their power. Penguins and NASA agents cannot be brought back.
Hypnotist - May choose any player and remove any abilities they possess for the next block of the day. For example, they would PM me a name at the end of the night, and someone would then not be able to use their power during the next day. If they PM me a name during the day, the target would have no power during the night. This also prevents a selected penguin/NASA agent from killing or scanning an individual, but cannot be done constantly. A day or a night must pass before they can act again. The affected will be told their powers have been taken for the 24 hour (real time) period. In the unlikely event two hypnotists exist and target each other, the first one to PM me takes precedence, though this probably will have no significance.
Channeller - Is informed when someone uses a special ability on them and what that ability is, though not the alignment or identity of the person using that power. If they wish it they can redirect the power to another user. This does not affect being killed, and only works once per day/night cycle. This includes being able to redirect a dampened ability. If there is a second channeller, they cannot redirect an ability that has already been redirected.
Scam Artist - During the day, may PM the narrator two votes counted towards the lynching total. There is a 25% chance of being caught and losing their power, but cast votes still go through. Their identity however is not revealed to the world at large.
Politician - May act to prevent a lynching by outing themselves in the thread. The person to be lynched is then changed to anyone else that has at least one vote not cast by the Politician; it is the Politician's choice. If they do not kill a penguin/NASA agent, they lose their power. If they do kill one they maintain the ability to overrule in future.
Amateur Vigilante - May kill one person, day or night, simply by PMing the narrator. There is a 50% chance of being caught and killed. Only works once.

PMs sent!

Events:

Day One
All arrived.
Boydster voted to lynch Wise. Duckdodgers cancelled this vote.
TheLordBarst voted to lynch Wise. Jura Glenlivet II cancelled this vote.
Wise voted to lynch TheLordBarst. Crouton cancelled this vote.
CFC votes to lynch Crouton. SCG cancelled this vote.
Shifter votes to lynch SCG
The scam artist sneaks in two votes for Bullwinkle and gets away uncaught.

Bullwinkle is lynched.
No one dies in the night.

Day two
DuckDodgers votes to lynch NSS.
LordBarst votes to lynch NSS.
NSS votes to lynch DuckDodgers
SCG votes to lynch NSS
Boydster votes to lynch NSS
CFC votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Jura votes to lynch SCG
Shifter votes to lynch NSS
Wise votes to lynch NSS
The Politician overrules and turns them onto DuckDodgers.

DuckDodgers is lynched.
DuckDodgers is brought back by the voodoo priest.
JimmytheCrab would have been killed by a penguin, but was instead gored by a reindeer.

Day Three
Boydster votes to lynch Jura
CFC votes to lynch Jura
Shifter votes to lynch Jura
SCG votes to lynch Jura
TheLordBarst votes to lynch Jura
NSS votes to lynch LordBarst. Wise cancelled this vote
DuckDodgers votes to lynch Jura
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch Jura

Jura is lynched and outed as werepenguin Piplup.
TheLordBarst is killed by NASA.

Day Four
NSS votes to lynch NSS.
Wise votes to lynch Wise
Shifter votes to lynch NSS
DuckDodgers votes to lynch NSS
CFC votes to lynch NSS
Boydster votes to lynch NSS
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch NSS
SCG votes to lynch NSS

NotSoSkeptical, werepenguin Mumble, is run over by a sleigh.
Boydster, an innocent, was flattened by NASA.

Day Five
DuckDodgers vote to lynch CFC
SCG votes to lynch CFC
Crouton votes to lynch CFC
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch CFC
Shifter votes to lynch CFC
Wise votes to lynch Shifter

Chicken Fried Clucker is executed for crimes against man and poultry

Day Six
Shifter votes to lynch Shifter
Wise votes to lynch Wise
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch Shifter
DuckDodgers votes to lynch Shifter
SCG votes to lynch Shifter
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:36:28 AM by Jane »
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
First batch of PMs sent out. If you're missing yours, or missing any you should receive, I just hit the per-hour limit.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »
First batch of PMs sent out. If you're missing yours, or missing any you should receive, I just hit the per-hour limit.

Lol, are you regretting making such a complex game and having so many players join?

Thanks for all the work, I may thank you properly by voting to lynch you  ;D
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
Arrival. It's cold here. So very cold. And this Santa fellow did not seem as jolly as the stories about him might lead one to believe. In fairness, though, we seem to be in mixed company. Can't blame the guy for watching out for his safety. This is probably the most dangerous mission we will ever have the opportunity to be a part of. Let's save Christmas.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
Lol, are you regretting making such a complex game and having so many players join?
That'll depend if it's an hour starting from when I sent the first PM, or when I sent the last PM.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
Boydster...can you remove Jane's throttle for PMs on her screen name?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
I'm giving her all I've got, Captain. I don't have the power!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
LISTEN UP HUMANS, WE HAVE TO PROTECT SANTA. This is it! This is the most important mission of our lives. We will find the penguin scum and roast them over a fire. We will find the NASA spies and we will torture them until they squeal and then we will roast them over a fire.

BE AGGRESSIVE!  BE BE AGGRESSIVE!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Unblock JRowe, I'll send them from his account
If I can't start sending them again in quarter of an hour, what's the moderation stance on making an alt just to get these bloody PMs out and then never touching it?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 04:01:51 PM »
ALLOWED, IMO.

Go ahead and do it if you want.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »
Unblock JRowe, I'll send them from his account
If I can't start sending them again in quarter of an hour, what's the moderation stance on making an alt just to get these bloody PMs out and then never touching it?

How many more do you have to send?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
Aaaand we're back!
Probably going to end up making that account anyway. But still. May call it something like 'werepenguin' and just hand out the password if anyone else has PM trouble.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »
That's a good idea. Can be the floater account.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
How long did it take to send out the PMs in total?

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
You're assuming I'm done.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
Oof. My condolences.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
Oof. My condolences.

This is the time I find out I thorked up and sent a penguin notification to a NASA agent and outed their rivals.

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Chief, we've gotta protect Santa. AT ANY COST.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »
All PMs should be sent, whether from this account or from Werepenguin.

If you have any questions PM me here. I will get back to you assuming I can, as soon as I see.

If you think you're missing a PM, let me know too.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
You can go ahead and PM me the rolls. I'll get them out to people.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »
I want everyone to know BEFORE IT HAPPENS - Saturday is my irl Christmas party, I will be gone for almost all of the day but might be here in the morning for afew minutes. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN STOP FIGHTING FOR SANTA.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Depending on everyone's opinions, I might pause the game like CFC did over the weekend, especially now we're getting close to christmas.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
I brought with me my sons Christmas wish list. I have to see Santa!! Please everyone make sure he is safe

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
Everyone, Santa will definitely be safe Saturday! He will be in the woods surrounded by rednecks with guns.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
I don't know why we're looking for Santa in the North Pole though, he lives in Lapland.

If we're losing near the end lets lynch the narrator because I want to see how that turns out.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »
There will be no need for that.

I shall cleanse this place of all penguins, nasa agents and our own sin.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

BatteryStaple

• The Perfumed Seneschal
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
Spoken like a NASA traitor!

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »
We need to ask ourselves a very important question. Are we lynching today?

There are 4 bad guys this round. We have a better chance than usual at getting one of them.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 04:09:50 AM »
I don't know why we're looking for Santa in the North Pole though, he lives in Lapland.
That is a clever lie spread to keep Santa's real location secret. When John Davis first sent feelers out to locate Santa he went to Lapland, and his spies were bundled into the back of a sleigh and driven off to a quiet spot by elves. Only when the FES spies were able to convince the elves they meant well were they set free and given a map to Santa's real home.