Money vs commitment

• 14 Replies

beast

Money vs commitment
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »
Ok so here is the situation.

I've agreed to do a footbag demo at this event on Saturday - $200 for 30 minutes.  It could lead to more events in the future.  It's about 2 hours away, I have a free lift and very good friends who I see once a year to stay with while I'm there.  Fairly choice.

On the other hand, there's been a crisis at work and I could go in, work 20 hours, earn $400 and give up my weekend.  I'm in management and it would be very good for my relationship with work, and I do believe in the people I work for strongly (an environmental charity).  I'm also sure working over the weekend will save me a lot of trouble later on, and I feel some responsibility to be there.

I would appreciate people's thoughts and opinions. :)

Cheers,

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Re: Money vs commitment
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »
Quote from: "beast"
Ok so here is the situation.

I've agreed to do a footbag demo at this event on Saturday - $200 for 30 minutes.  It could lead to more events in the future.  It's about 2 hours away, I have a free lift and very good friends who I see once a year to stay with while I'm there.  Fairly choice.

On the other hand, there's been a crisis at work and I could go in, work 20 hours, earn $400 and give up my weekend.  I'm in management and it would be very good for my relationship with work, and I do believe in the people I work for strongly (an environmental charity).  I'm also sure working over the weekend will save me a lot of trouble later on, and I feel some responsibility to be there.

I would appreciate people's thoughts and opinions. :)

Cheers,

I'm confused - is the $200 positive or negative?  Did you have to pay that much or are you making that much?

Also, I would have to say it depends on your relationship with your boss, as well as the character traits of your boss - is your boss understanding?  If not, I would definately work - I'm sure you could call in to the footbag event and tell them that you were called into work; they'd understand.  In my current opinion, it looks like you're going to have to work.

beast

Money vs commitment
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
I'm getting paid $200 for half an hours work.  I definitely don't have to work if I don't want to.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Money vs commitment
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »
I'm getting paid $200 for half an hours work.  I definitely don't have to work if I don't want to.

Do they have people to replace you at work?  Are you really going to be missed?  If not, then RUN TO THAT FOOTBAG EVENT, AND NEVER LOOK BACK.  If they've got people to cover your ass, GO!

btw, I'm favoring the footbag event now; $200 in 0.5 hours is better than $400 in 20 hours.

beast

Money vs commitment
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:35:14 PM »
ok, I made the call and I'm working.

The thing about the footbag demo is that I have to give up the whole weekend to do it anyway, even though I'm just sitting around and drinking beer for most of it.  I did really want to go, but work is more important to me, and going to work wins me brownie points, as well as I want to make sure things are going well.  Also I am committed to saving lots of money, and I'm a little in debt, so that's important too.  I find it very hard to care about money - which is why this was a tough choice, but in the end I thought about what each thing would get me, and I think I get more substantial benefits out of going to work.  I have called both parties and let them know.  My boss loves me, and the footbag demo people still want to discuss future demos, so that's cool.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Money vs commitment
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:38:53 PM »

The thing about the footbag demo is that I have to give up the whole weekend to do it anyway, even though I'm just sitting around and drinking beer for most of it.  I did really want to go, but work is more important to me, and going to work wins me brownie points, as well as I want to make sure things are going well.  Also I am committed to saving lots of money, and I'm a little in debt, so that's important too.  I find it very hard to care about money - which is why this was a tough choice, but in the end I thought about what each thing would get me, and I think I get more substantial benefits out of going to work.  I have called both parties and let them know.  My boss loves me, and the footbag demo people still want to discuss future demos, so that's cool.

Sounds like the best course of action, after viewing the consequences; $400 > $200.

Glad to have helped.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
Money vs commitment
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »

That's probably the choice I would've made, too, but I guess I was a bit too late for consultation anyways...

<_<

~D-Draw

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
Money vs commitment
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
I'm getting paid $200 for half an hours work. I definitely don't have to work if I don't want to.

Judging by this comment i thought your choice would have been the opposite.

From this statement it is clear to me that you value money more then commitment?

However, you choose to work??

That one footbag event could've turned in to a 2 hour demo the next day... ------> $200 per half hour.

Perhaps you have made the wrong decision to choose work that will always be there rather than to pursue something that could have had prospects for you?

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

beast

Money vs commitment
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
This was my thinking:

Footbag demo:

Pros:

Getting paid to play footbag
Potential of getting new demos
Hanging out with Tom

Cons:

Having to spend the weekend away from home
Spending more money than I otherwise would

Working

Pros:

Good relationships with bosses
Commitment to the cause, want to make sure things are sorted out
Saving myself effort in the future
Earning more money

Cons:
Having to give up my weekend to work

As you can see, working wins.  I also felt that I would be helping a lot of people by working, but only helping myself by doing the footbag demo, so I'm confident I made the right decision.  I have a responsibility to my work, I have no responsibility to footbag demos.  If I could make a living out of just doing demos, I would choose that, but unfortunately that's not the case and my job is very stable, while footbag is not.

Money vs commitment
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
1. GO TO FOOTBAG HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS

2\. RUN YO ASS BACK TO WORK SAY SORRY I WAS SAVING BABIES

3. GET A CRAPLOAD OF MONEY AND EVERYONE LOVES YOU

i am a genis 8-)
he kinds of equations that they have now are the kinds of equations you would get in an approximation scheme to some underlying theory, but nobody knows what the underlying theory is.

discover magazine

beast

Money vs commitment
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
Work starts at 9am on Saturday and goes until as late as possible.

Footbag demo is 2 hours drive away and starts at 12:30pm.  Don't think that's the best answer...

Money vs commitment
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 07:31:01 PM »
when you come to workon monday everybody will hate you for not going to work. people will have been working extra hard becuse you didnt go. That promotion you might have been getting? poof. gone. employie of the month? haha yea right. your whole life. ruined becuse of footbag. what is footbag
he kinds of equations that they have now are the kinds of equations you would get in an approximation scheme to some underlying theory, but nobody knows what the underlying theory is.

discover magazine

beast

Money vs commitment
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »
www.footbag.org

http://www.kapsi.fi/~vesuri/bots/bots_teaserwmv.wmv

(Finnish movie that has just been released that features footbag - but is fictional).

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
Money vs commitment
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »
I think I probably would have gone work as well beast.

As much as footbag is more fun, more money for less time, your job is an investment in the future, particularly if you have a job you enjoy (as you seem to), that pays well (enough), and that you fit in well at.

?

Ubuntu

Money vs commitment
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »
I'd go for the work... you can schedule a different footbag event with similar positive effects. This is probably already over, so tell us how it went.