Physics Class

• 27 Replies
Physics Class
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
Hello,
I am new to this site, and an ardent believer. I am currently in a physics class which is propagating outrageous falsehoods about things such as gravity and, of course, the roundness of earth. However, whenever I bring up the truth, I am ruthlessly laughed down. How do you suggest I approach starting a honest discussion about our beliefs? What pieces of evidence do you recommend I start with?
I'm having a little bit of trouble justifying falling objects... I've seen lots of reasoning around this forum... but can anyone clarify an easy to understand reason that I can bring up in my physics class?
Thank you!

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: Physics Class
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
Welcome to the Debate board, where you can have a healthy conversation about everything that might come up in your class

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »
I would suggest ditching the physics class before they have you fully indoctrinated into their mainstream science cult.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
Healthy?
my headache from banging head isnt very healthy.
Hahaa

JackBlack

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this site, and an ardent believer. I am currently in a physics class which is propagating outrageous falsehoods about things such as gravity and, of course, the roundness of earth. However, whenever I bring up the truth, I am ruthlessly laughed down. How do you suggest I approach starting a honest discussion about our beliefs? What pieces of evidence do you recommend I start with?
I'm having a little bit of trouble justifying falling objects... I've seen lots of reasoning around this forum... but can anyone clarify an easy to understand reason that I can bring up in my physics class?
Thank you!
I would suggest not starting with claims that they are propagating outrageous falsehoods and claims that you are bringing up the truth.

If you really want an honest debate it would be better to start by asking questions, either questions regarding some aspect of the currently accepted model which you think doesn't make sense, or questions about reality which lead you to believe Earth is flat.

This also requires that you are open minded and willing to accept that you may be completely wrong and willing to accept that Earth is round if sufficient evidence/reasoning is provided.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
But proposing fringe theories in a mainstream classroom probably not the smartest idea.
But then...
Either way.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
Hello,
Thank you!

I'm laughing with your classmates!
It's okay, I don't understand how flat earthers explain how objects fall either, neither does anyone else on this forum.
This is just flat out fun!

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
Thanks for all the support! I will definitely keep an open mind... it's hard to sit through that class sometimes though. Do you have any suggestions for the most easily understood issues with a round earth? I know I have a few... but I wanna see what you all think to see if I missed any obvious reasons.

Also Ignorant Globehead, if you want to start a debate or get an answer, you can post a new post on this Q&A or start a thread in the debate section, please.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
Well you could maybe ask your questions in biological physics instead.

JackBlack

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
Thanks for all the support! I will definitely keep an open mind... it's hard to sit through that class sometimes though. Do you have any suggestions for the most easily understood issues with a round earth? I know I have a few... but I wanna see what you all think to see if I missed any obvious reasons.
Nope. Most "issues" with a RE are those where RE isn't understood.
A common example of this is that the horizon is flat, because that is exactly what is expected for a RE.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
Do you have any suggestions for the most easily understood issues with a round earth?
The problem you are facing is that the only real "issue" with a round earth is that flat earthers don't believe the earth is round. Physics (the study of how the natural world works) has shown so many things to be true that flat-earthers are forced to deny or they would have to give up their belief.  Instead of giving you an "easily understood issue" with a round earth, I will give you an easily understood issue with the Flat Earth theory:  If the earth were flat, it would be easy to create a map on a flat sheet of paper where all the distances between cities and continents are accurate, the continents are correct sizes compared to each other, and the scale of the map is constant throughout.

There is no such map. It would be easy to make if the earth were flat. Why isn't there one? Ask yourself that.

Kent Nelson

• I've seen the fate of man, and it's not good......
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Hello,
Thank you!

Pyramid Earth,

Its always best to understand both sides of the debate. Don't drop the class.  Everything you learn in class can push you further to understanding the earth be it flat or globe.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Do you have any suggestions for the most easily understood issues with a round earth?
The problem you are facing is that the only real "issue" with a round earth is that flat earthers don't believe the earth is round. Physics (the study of how the natural world works) has shown so many things to be true that flat-earthers are forced to deny or they would have to give up their belief.  Instead of giving you an "easily understood issue" with a round earth, I will give you an easily understood issue with the Flat Earth theory:  If the earth were flat, it would be easy to create a map on a flat sheet of paper where all the distances between cities and continents are accurate, the continents are correct sizes compared to each other, and the scale of the map is constant throughout.

There is no such map. It would be easy to make if the earth were flat. Why isn't there one? Ask yourself that.

I agree.
 I can't wait to see the link to on of the FE wiki pages about how they derived an accurate map or some BS like that. Flat earth theory isn't even considered by professionals such as surveyors and pilots who have to take things like global curvature into account on a daily basis.
This is just flat out fun!

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
I'm having a little bit of trouble justifying falling objects
Good!  This is only one of the many things you should "have a little trouble justifying" in FE thought.  Notice as other things crop up.  Keep questioning, both what you "ardently believe" and what you are taught.  See which theory best fits the data.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:03 AM »
And while youre at it, look up "critical thinking" and the difference between "opinion vs fact".

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
But proposing fringe theories in a mainstream classroom probably not the smartest idea.
But then...
Either way.

It just might not be the smartest idea and might lead to your being expelled from your school.
There was a kid in one of my High School English classes who was expelled for his continuing interruptions of how wrong he thought the teacher was in  teaching the class.
I don't know what your aim is to your eventful career in what field. If you are so much opposed to your Physics class, you might consider some other worthwhile career that does not include the  knowledge of physics.
This is intended as constructive criticism. I've known a lot of people who ended up in jobs that they really enjoyed that were completely different from their original goals.
So you might give that a tought if you are so unhappy in your Physics Class.
Best wishes in your search.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:00:23 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this site, and an ardent believer. I am currently in a physics class which is propagating outrageous falsehoods about things such as gravity and, of course, the roundness of earth.
Out of curiosity, what caused you to be an "ardent believer" before you started the physics class?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
But then...
Either way.

It might not the smartest idea and might lead to your being expelled from your school.
There was a kid in one of my High School English classes who was expelled for his continuing interruptions of how wrong he thought the teacher was teaching the class.

Did he go on to join the Navy and learn how to estimate the distance to the horizon?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »
But then...
Either way.

It might not the smartest idea and might lead to your being expelled from your school.
There was a kid in one of my High School English classes who was expelled for his continuing interruptions of how wrong he thought the teacher was teaching the class.

Did he go on to join the Navy and learn how to estimate the distance to the horizon?

Hey, stop heckling the Navy ! LOL
 You learn a lot of things in the Navy or in any other military service.

Just messin' with ya   ;)

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »
But then...
Either way.

Hey, quit heckling the Navy !  :-(   LOL   😆
You learn a lot of other things in the Navy or in any other miltary service.

The guy who got expelled ended up being a Preacher.
An Electrical Engineering Graduate, an Insurance Actuary.
One of the smartest persons I knew in the Navy flunked out of Electronics Technician School (ET) and ended up being very happy and a very good Pharmacist Mate (PH) in Sick Bay on his ship.
Happens all the time.
My goal in High School was to be a famous Architect  like  Frank Lloyd Wright,  but  I ended up in an interesting 42 years in Electronics.LOL😆

Gotten a bit off topic, but maybe Physics just isn't his thing .
Maybe he should drop Physics and take Shakespeare 101 instead ?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:01:40 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

Also Ignorant Globehead, if you want to start a debate or get an answer, you can post a new post on this Q&A or start a thread in the debate section, please.

Horizon is one of the easiest RE things  I can think of.
Just ask Bullwinkle and/or  SpaceCowgirl  !   LOL
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:56:32 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
But then...
Either way.

Hey, stop heckling the Navy ! LOL
 You learn a lot of things in the Navy or in any other military service.

Just messin' with ya   ;)

And likewise ! LOL😆
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:02:16 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »

Horizon is one of the easiest RE things  I can think of.
Just ask Bullwinkle and/or  SpaceCowgirl  !   LOL

I know I'm quoting myself again , but as to the horizon, I am still waiting for 3 answers to my  3  questions about the horizon on a flat earth.

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this site, and an ardent believer. I am currently in a physics class which is propagating outrageous falsehoods about things such as gravity and, of course, the roundness of earth.
Out of curiosity, what caused you to be an "ardent believer" before you started the physics class?

Or what caused you to select the physics class in the first plsce ?
To prove that you were smarter than the teacher, the texbooks and the persons who wrote the textbooks ?

Chorus:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
Hello,

To prove that you were smarter than the teacher, the texbooks and the persons who wrote the textbooks ?
As to who might this 👌xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx👌 be? This post might be telling:
The Ice wall theory is only one theory about the ends of the flat earth... also you should really read the FAQ section of the website before you post in the Q&A...
The FAQ says: "The Flat Earth Society, along with previous notable flatists such as Samuel Shenton and S. Rowbotham, believe there is no end to the Earth and that it continues indefinitely. The only edge to the earth is the one you are standing on. Some math describing this can be found in our blog article 'The Mathematics of an Infinite Earth'" on the website.

Note the, "Some math describing this can be found in our blog article 'The Mathematics of an Infinite Earth' on the website. I don't wonder who wrote that blog?

Didn't we have a similar case recently? I think you've been had! Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but I don't believe that 👌xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx👌 is any student "currently in a physics class".

No names, no pack drill!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »

Note the, "Some math describing this can be found in our blog article 'The Mathematics of an Infinite Earth' on the website. I don't wonder who wrote that blog?

rabinoz: Super Sleuth.

The last person here to realize xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx's game.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »

rabinoz: Super Sleuth.

The last person here to realize xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx's game.
Better late than dead on time, but is xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx the same person as thereisnogravity?

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
Hello,

As to who might this 👌xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx👌 be? This post might be telling:
The Ice wall theory is only one theory about the ends of the flat earth... also you should really read the FAQ section of the website before you post in the Q&A...
The FAQ says: "The Flat Earth Society, along with previous notable flatists such as Samuel Shenton and S. Rowbotham, believe there is no end to the Earth and that it continues indefinitely. The only edge to the earth is the one you are standing on. Some math describing this can be found in our blog article 'The Mathematics of an Infinite Earth'" on the website.

Didn't we have a similar case recently? I think you've been had! Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but I don't believe that 👌xXx_pyramid_earth_xXx👌 is any student "currently in a physics class".

No names, no pack drill!

I just copied and pasted the section from the FAQ that included that statement... I'm not claiming to have authored any theory at all. As I said, I'm still new here.