"If you go straight along enough..."

• 16 Replies
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:18:19 PM »
"... you'll end up where you were."

Please, disprove the logic behind this line, by either disproving the fact that it is possible to go in a straight line around the earth or proving that it is somehow possible to do so on a flat surface.

This is real, physical evidence that any person can test themselves by traveling around said world. Please explain.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
All the FE'ers are either gonna say that you were not walking in a straight line, as has been debated to death the past day.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »
In order for it to be true, you would need to tunnel through the earth in an RE model. Otherwise, the fastest way to travel between two points would be called a "Global Curve".

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »
Quote from: "Kadover"
All the FE'ers are either gonna say that you were not walking in a straight line, as has been debated to death the past day.

So, if it's impossible to travel in a straight line, how does anyone ever manage to go from one place to another at all? Aparently, compasses are useless and it's impossible to tell that you're inadvertantly turning around, so wouldn't that make air and sea travel rather difficult?

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:44:22 PM »
Quote from: "CircleTriangles"

So, if it's impossible to travel in a straight line, how does anyone ever manage to go from one place to another at all?

I just said it. The "Global Curve".

?

MMMM

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »

Which is totally flawed. You can achieve a totally straight course by navigating off the stars, not to mention the sun & the moon.
Funny everytime this has been raised the FEers ambush it with meaningless dribble designed to draw attention away from it.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »

So, if it's impossible to travel in a straight line, how does anyone ever manage to go from one place to another at all? Aparently, compasses are useless and it's impossible to tell that you're inadvertantly turning around, so wouldn't that make air and sea travel rather difficult?

I'm not the one you need to be arguing with haha

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
As far as I know, that's a figure of speech, and has no evidence to back it up, because...it's just a figure of speech. So to prove it wrong, all I need to do is say, "No you won't."

But if you want to get to the nitty-gritty, as far as I'm concerned there are no bridges across the oceans, so you'd have a tough time walking in a straight line until you were back where you were.

Also, circumnavigation is entirely possible on the flat Earth model. Read the FAQ.

~D-Draw

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »
Quote from: "DiegoDraw"
Read the FAQ.

To be clear, here it is again:

Read the FAQ.

beast

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
Compasses point along the magnetic lines.  If you weren't on the magnetic equator and you travelled due west on the RE you wouldn't walk in a straight line, but a curve around one of the magnetic poles.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »
As far as I know, that's a figure of speech, and has no evidence to back it up, because...it's just a figure of speech. So to prove it wrong, all I need to do is say, "No you won't."

It's a quote. A cookie to anyone who recognizes where it's from.
And, I only used it to put the idea behind it in the plainest terms possible.

But if you want to get to the nitty-gritty, as far as I'm concerned there are no bridges across the oceans, so you'd have a tough time walking in a straight line until you were back where you were.

I never said walk. Directly quoting, I've got 'go' and 'travel', so, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty...

Also, circumnavigation is entirely possible on the flat Earth model. Read the FAQ.

~D-Draw

Wait, so, on this forum, Gravity is disputed as 'crazy magic', but Circumnavigation is just fine and dandy? Way to pick and choose.

Take a coin. Put a pencil in the middle of it, and move the pencil tip to the right. Is the pencil tip now on the left side of the coin? No. Now do the same with a ball or sphere of any sort. You'll notice how the pencil comes back to the point at which it started. Which is most definitly (and I'd like to see you dispute this) how the earth seems to work.
So explain why, instead of everything working in the way that logic and evidence have proved it to many times over, the earth (according to those who believe in FE) definitly works in a completely different way just because it might be a vague possibilty. Maybe.

Compasses point along the magnetic lines. If you weren't on the magnetic equator and you travelled due west on the RE you wouldn't walk in a straight line, but a curve around one of the magnetic poles.

Again, the quote wasn't meant to be perfectly literally, just to get a point across. That is, that there is plenty of physical evidence that the world is round, and if one put their mind to it, anyone could test this themselves.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:36:12 PM »

Wait, so, on this forum, Gravity is disputed as 'crazy magic', but Circumnavigation is just fine and dandy? Way to pick and choose.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:55 PM »
And what is that image supposed to prove? That you can tell where the N is supposed to point.

Good job there, buddy.  :roll:

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 12:08:55 AM »
Circumnavigation.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »

Take a coin. Put a pencil in the middle of it, and move the pencil tip to the right. Is the pencil tip now on the left side of the coin? No. Now do the same with a ball or sphere of any sort. You'll notice how the pencil comes back to the point at which it started. Which is most definitly (and I'd like to see you dispute this) how the earth seems to work.
So explain why, instead of everything working in the way that logic and evidence have proved it to many times over, the earth (according to those who believe in FE) definitly works in a completely different way just because it might be a vague possibilty. Maybe.

Well yeah, if you fly south far enough, you're going to fall off. I figured so much given. But East/West runs parallel. If you end up going due East, you're going to end up slightly curving to match the North/South poles, as shown on the map that TheEngineer has referenced. Before you call the idea a load of bullocks (which you were about to), realize in the round Earth model, you're curving as well, just on a different axis.

~D-Draw

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 01:43:59 AM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Circumnavigation.

That is not circumnavigating. That is pointing a compass in the right direction.

This is circumnavigation:

Sorry if it's too complicated for you to understand. That's what FE'ers usually have to suffer from. It's a sad world we live on. I feel bad that the earth is being disrespected so poorly.  :roll:

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 01:44:32 AM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"
Read the FAG.

To be clear, here it is again:

Read the FAG.

MODED x2