How should a RE behave on this site

Just respectfully listen and learn
Argue, that's what we're here for
It would be better if all the REs left the site

Question for FEs

• 25 Replies
Question for FEs
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »
I honestly want to know if REs are welcome here only if they want to hear the flat earth theories, are they here to provide argument, or would it be better if there were no REs here.
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Question for FEs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
I honestly want to know if REs are welcome here only if they want to hear the flat earth theories, are they here to provide argument, or would it be better if there were no REs here.

I think FE's would prefer that there were no RE's here.
There are just too many of us.
But for the RE's there is just so much FE nonsense that it's just impossible to resist the urge to just jump in and post the true facts, figures  and evidence just to set the record straight.
The FE's are just going to say it's fake or  it's a lie any way.
After not too long, you see what a big fallacy the FES really is.
I think most RE's have better sense than I and a few other RE's have. LOL
They visit the website, find it disgusting, leave, and never come back.
If you get down to nitpicking, there are no such things as  "flat earth theories" that qualify as theories.

I once received a PM from another RE. After being on the FES website for a few weeks, he said he had had enough, it was time to move on , and was never heard from since. As I mentioned, some RE's have more sense than some RE's such as those whose user names start with a "G" or an "R" .     ........LOL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:19:46 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »
All manner of Earth shape believers are welcome here, as long as they follow the rules

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
Don't listen to Googleotomy, he's probably the dumbest RE on this forum. 

As boydster says, all earth shape believers are welcome here. You should definitely feel free to argue your points. This is what debate is all about. This forum is what you make it. If you use the debates to increase your own knowledge, then isn't that a good thing?

Most RE make the mistake of thinking we're trying to change their minds. Or they come here with the mission of changing ours. You should only be concerned with changing your own mind by increasing your own knowledge of how the world works.  Also, you are welcome to get to know people, and have some fun in the lower forums.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
Don't listen to Googleotomy, he's probably the dumbest RE on this forum. 

As boydster says, all earth shape believers are welcome here. You should definitely feel free to argue your points. This is what debate is all about. This forum is what you make it. If you use the debates to increase your own knowledge, then isn't that a good thing?

Most RE make the mistake of thinking we're trying to change their minds. Or they come here with the mission of changing ours. You should only be concerned with changing your own mind by increasing your own knowledge of how the world works.  Also, you are welcome to get to know people, and have some fun in the lower forums.

No, I don't think you should ever think that we think you're trying to change our minds.
We're too grounded in reality for that.
And I know it's useless to try to change your minds.
You're too grounded in Rowbotham for that.

I just like this website for the entertainment and information of flat earth idas versus round earth facts.
As for entertainment, some times it does get worse than watching an old "Three Stooges"  movie.  :-(
I would encourage all flat earthers to never stop thinking up those new ideas of which you are always coming up .
For RE's to "de-bunk. :-)
And I have either been refreshed or gotten more information on this website than I had realized..
It has really evolved as sort of a website for information on "FE-vs-RE".
Thank you very much, FES !
Long live the FES !
Cheers !

On closing, I will try one more time to try to get an answer to these three questions.:
(1) What is the definition of the horizon on a flat earth ?
(2) Where is the horizon on a flat earth ?
(3) How would you estimate the distance to the horizon on a flat earth ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:47:37 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
It is appropriate to answer questions when presented and issues of FE "horizon" can be answered.

"What you see is what you get" (Zetetic). This does answer all three questions.  What we do know is there are anomalies within the atmoplane that disturbs any chance of a standardized response to issues relating to what REers call the "horizon". Motions of the sun viewed through the atmoplane provides for unlimited variations of what we are seeing. 

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
It is appropriate to answer questions when presented and issues of FE "horizon" can be answered.

"What you see is what you get" (Zetetic). This does answer all three questions.  What we do know is there are anomalies within the atmoplane that disturbs any chance of a standardized response to issues relating to what REers call the "horizon". Motions of the sun viewed through the atmoplane provides for unlimited variations of what we are seeing.

In other words, the atmoplane prevents us from ever being able to measure...anything?

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »
Measurements within the atmoplane get foggy past a given distance depending on the disturbances within.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
Measurements within the atmoplane get foggy past a given distance depending on the disturbances within.

With the inconsistencies of these atmoplanic disturbances, are we still able to accurately predict things such as sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

I do have a great respect for the flat earthers who obviously have great imaginations . But they do come up with all their ideas, which are promptly debunked by RE's.

The main problem for RE's is that so many of these FE ideas seem so to get so foggy.

While the horizon is such a prominent and very visible day to day observance in reality, flat earthers seem to think that the horizon on a flat earth would be obscured by the "atmoplane."

I will excuse this flat earther view as maybe no flat earthers have ever been to sea and observed the horizon from a ship when you're in the middle of the ocean on a clear calm day.

The horizon is a definite line where the sky and the sea appear to meet. You are in the center of a great circle which stretches to the horizon in 360 degrees. Due to the great distance of the circumference of the globe it appears flat to you. But the ocean is sloping away from you in all directions. And you can not see beyond the horizon . And the atmosphere has very little effect on how far you can see to the horizon. The distance to the horizon may  be only 1 or 2 miles if you are in a small boat at the level of the sea or as much as 12 miles if you are in the crow's nest on a ship.

This is one of the main problems for this RE. The flat earther idea of the horizon - or the lack of it -  is so much differerent from the very obvious reality of the horizon.

I am still awaiting answers to my 3 questions regarding the horizon on a flat earth.
I can give you answers to all 3 questions, but I believe round earth facts and figures are only permitted in the Debate section of these forums.Perhaps I should not have mentioned them in this section.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:59:18 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 06:52:00 PM »

My example was for clear calm days at sea.
There are many of these "perfect sailing days" in reality when there is none or very little atmospheric interference to interfere with your measurements. The old Navy lookouts in the crow's nests did measurements on a day-to-day basis. it was said they could match up their estimates for distances with those of the ship's radar and find them very close to being accurate
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:05:29 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »

I will excuse this flat earther view as maybe no flat earthers have ever been to sea and observed the horizon from a ship when you're in the middle of the ocean on a clear calm day.

What is the closest you have been to this horizon?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »

Standing at the shoreline, approximately 2.9 miles, give or take.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 12:57:48 AM »

About 2.6 km from an ocean horizon.

The following photo shows a navigation beacon on the horizon.

Scarborough from 50 cm above water, Beacon 2.6 km away on Horizon
I took that photo and I know for certain that the navigation beacon in thst photos is only 2.6 km from the beach.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 02:23:10 AM »
rabinoz is winning.

Who's been closer?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »
rabinoz is winning.

Who's been closer?

Obviously Rab. Well known fact: Australia, upside down, me, San Francisco, sideways. Metric v Imperial, his math is simpler, mine, complicated, archaic and should be in the dustbin.

But to put a fine point on it, his is at an observer height of 50 cm, mine is at 1.7m. Higher up I go the farther I can see, to a horizon.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 03:05:09 AM »
rabinoz is winning.

Who's been closer?
I guess that when snorkeling with a mask on I've viewed the very close horizon from eye-ball height above the water level.
The sort of view this bloke might get:
I have no photographic evidence of that, however, and Zorbakim might claim that a 2 cm wave blocked my line-of-sight.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 04:36:20 AM »
Has anyone, say Googlectomy for instance, estimated the distance to the horizon from the crow's nest of a square rigger and then sailed there and found the horizon?

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
Has anyone, say Googlectomy for instance, estimated the distance to the horizon from the crow's nest of a square rigger and then sailed there and found the horizon?

You can't find the horizon, it's a visual illusion of where the earth meets the sky as a result of perspective.  Well at least on a RE.  On a FE, the horizon will be at the edge.  So has anyone found this edge?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:56:23 AM by NotSoSkeptical »
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
I have been two feet from the horizon. I was standing in a hole, looking up at the edges. This works on FE or RE. Do I win?
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »

It takes a serious cognitive dysfunction to say something like this and actually believe yourself.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »

It takes a serious cognitive dysfunction to say something like this and actually believe yourself.

I will alert others I know personally (and who agree with my statement) that round Earth believers still doubt our claims.  These FEers include a geologist, a metallurgist, a law professor, a Native American Indian Chief, a hospital administrator, a poet,  and a Holy man.

I hope to add a psychologist to the list before too long...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
I will alert others I know personally (and who agree with my statement) that round Earth believers still doubt our claims.  These FEers include a geologist, a metallurgist, a law professor, a Native American Indian Chief, a hospital administrator, a poet,  and a Holy man.

So?
These "authorities" you are appealing to include "a metallurgist, a law professor, a Native American Indian Chief, a hospital administrator, a poet, a Holy man" and possibly "a psychologist".

And why would any of those be "authorities" on the shape and movement of the earth.

I see that there are no geodetic surveyors, navigators qualified in celestial navigation, astronomers, astronauts, cosmologists, physicists or even genuine international airline pilots - I wonder why.

Of course, those that know that the earth is a Globe doubt your claims. Your claims are totally incorrect! The earth rotates! Maybe that's why Galileo (is reputed to have) said "E pur si muove".
And yet it moves . . . . (Italian: E pur si muove . . . . )
is a phrase attributed to the Italian mathematician, physicist and philosopher Galileo Galilei (1564–1642) in 1633 after being forced to recant his claims that the Earth moves around the immovable Sun rather than the converse during the Galileo affair.

This animation features actual satellite images of the far side of the moon, illuminated by the sun,
as it crosses between the DSCOVR spacecraft's Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC),
and the Earth  - one million miles away.                                                  Credits: NASA/NOAA

If you really have counter evidence and accurate flat earth maps maybe its time to either show them or admit that they do not exist.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »

So?
These "authorities" you are appealing to include "a metallurgist, a law professor, a Native American Indian Chief, a hospital administrator, a poet, a Holy man" and possibly "a psychologist".

And why would any of those be "authorities" on the shape and movement of the earth.

So where is your authority in discussing the shape of the Earth?

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »

I suppose when I was sitting down in a "liberty boat" in the navy , I could only see a mile or less to the horizon.

On the other hand, the crow's nest on one of the old windjammers is listed as having a height of 188 feet above the water line.
This would compute to be 20.5 miles as the distance the man in the  crow's nest could see to the horizon.
(I found the information on a "Tall Ships" website.)

The equation for estimating the distance to the horizon is:

1/2
d=1.5 (h)
Where d is the distance (in miles) to the horizon
1.5 is a constant
h is the square root of the height of the observer (in feet) above the waterline, or on land the distance above the level of the sea

Chorus:

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 01:13:29 AM »
The genuine reality should be globe Earth believers coming here to question the alternatives as well as seriously questioning their own indoctrinated global schooling from mainstream so called experts.

When global Earthers stay on a site for years and years and years on a frenzied quest to ridicule flat Earth/alternate Earth theories, with absolutely no mind to ever give anything other than a globe the time of day, then I personally think they should be unable to post in flat Earth areas of the forum.
Reason: My reason is, I think they basically (for want of a better word) scare away potential new posters who want to take the time to make a choice without being bullied for diverting away from their original schooled choice by frenzied count of globalist numbers.

People need to be encouraged to think outside of the box, no matter what...and it should be respected whatever that thinking is.
99.9% of genuine people are on forums like this because they obviously started off as some kind of global acceptor due to schooling from early age and are now at a stage where their own inquisitive mind needs satisfying.

The problem arises when certain posters go into ridicule mode on those wanting to find alternate theories to their schooled ones...and they generally last a short time under that duress and either simply side with the global bullies for ease of time on the forum, or they simply disappear, leaving the forum overloaded with a posse of well versed globalists or gatekeepers, depending on how it's looked upon.