I am very, very sorry.

• 75 Replies

Constellator

• Joke's on you, Earth is icosahedral.
I am very, very sorry.
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:48:45 PM »
I started this account a few years ago, spammed some vitriol in support of the Round Earth Theory, and then ran off to find a new target to offend, criticize, and mock. Now, at last, I see the light. It's taken me a long while, but there was a moment at which everything clicked, and now I'm a Flat Earther all the way. And I've finally learned to properly debate, too. No more big words and defensiveness and personal attacks. I'm ready to patiently answer the questions of any Round Earther who has them. See you in the debate section.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
Re: I am very, very sorry.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »
I started this account a few years ago, spammed some vitriol in support of the Round Earth Theory, and then ran off to find a new target to offend, criticize, and mock. Now, at last, I see the light. It's taken me a long while, but there was a moment at which everything clicked, and now I'm a Flat Earther all the way. And I've finally learned to properly debate, too. No more big words and defensiveness and personal attacks. I'm ready to patiently answer the questions of any Round Earther who has them. See you in the debate section.

Ok so what was the moment?
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:59 AM »

I hope you continue to following the light.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Constellator

• Joke's on you, Earth is icosahedral.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »

First of all, I started to see the nature of people—how easy it is to make ideas seem certain if you yourself are convinced of them (and they don't have any inclinations already, as it is when educating children). Second of all, I started to see just how malleable scientific theory is. In this day and age, even such basic assumptions as unitarity and causality are being called into question, because of tiny deviations from expected observations. Yet there are much larger discrepancies in our current understanding of our planet that are sitting right under our noses.

I don't think there's any conspiracy or cover-up involved here. I think everybody is convinced, and for good reason. A round Earth gives a very good approximation of what we observe of the cosmos. But it's time to throw away those toy models and really get to the bottom of the issue. I exaggerated a bit; I'm not "a Flat Earther all the way", but I have a strong suspicion that it's a step in the right direction. At the very least, I'm willing to at least endorse it as an explanation.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
So, you're throwing away your google earth app in favor of.......?

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
and massive amount of photographic evidence? You say you don't believe there's any conspiracy, so what are all those images at https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/index.html ?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »

First of all, I started to see the nature of people—how easy it is to make ideas seem certain if you yourself are convinced of them (and they don't have any inclinations already, as it is when educating children). Second of all, I started to see just how malleable scientific theory is. In this day and age, even such basic assumptions as unitarity and causality are being called into question, because of tiny deviations from expected observations. Yet there are much larger discrepancies in our current understanding of our planet that are sitting right under our noses.

I don't think there's any conspiracy or cover-up involved here.
If there is no conspiracy how do you explain these photos which to my simple mind seem such strong evidence that the earth os a Globe:
We have photos of the Globe from at least the USA, Europe, Russia, India, China and Japan. It would take an unbelievable worldwide conspiracy for all these countries to be faking these photographs.
Here are a couple. The earth rotates very slowly, completing one revolution relative to the sun each 24 hours.
Here is a motion gif where one frame is is taken every hour:

USA, Taken with DSCOVR EPIC.

Then there are the Himawari-8 Animations. Here is one:

Taken taken by the Japanese Himawari-8 satellite.
And then photos by USA and Russia:

USA, DSCOVR EPIC 187_1003703_africa

Russian Satellite Photo (around midday) - December 2015

Russian Zond 7 "Earth Rising"

And now there are more photos from Chinese and Indian launched spacecraft and satellites.

The flat-earth simply demands a conspiracy to be able to claim that all photos from space of the jast 60 years are "fake".

Quote from: Constellator
I think everybody is convinced, and for good reason. A round Earth gives a very good approximation of what we observe of the cosmos. But it's time to throw away those toy models and really get to the bottom of the issue. I exaggerated a bit; I'm not "a Flat Earther all the way", but I have a strong suspicion that it's a step in the right direction. At the very least, I'm willing to at least endorse it as an explanation.
You say you're "willing to at least endorse it as an explanation" but an "explanation" of what? What doesn't the Globe explain adequately?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »
and massive amount of photographic evidence?
Bah.  Who cares about photographic evidence?  I'd settle for a plausible explanation for a flat earth sunset.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:50:23 AM »
.. but there was a moment at which everything clicked...
That moment your psychosis started 8)

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 05:38:25 AM »
and massive amount of photographic evidence?
Bah.  Who cares about photographic evidence?  I'd settle for a plausible explanation for a flat earth sunset.

Just a rudimentary working map would be a start.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
This is a question for round Earthers, do you think google earth shows accurate sizes of continents and countries?
JJA voted for Pedro

?

dutchy

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »

I'm always baffled that you really think this is what you see at a certain altitude....
Are you really that bad at discerning reality from cgi/photoshop/artist rendering/jigsaw data ??

It's utter crap that for some unknown reason has convinced you & co that it is what earth looks like, althaugh even a ten year old can spot the ''cartoon'' quality from a distance.

Crutchwater

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:50 AM »
Translation: "It doesn't look right"!

Though, you have no idea what it SHOULD look like!

?

dutchy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »

I know one thing...this is most certainly as real as those really bad....and i mean really bad globe pics rabinoz posts time and time again.....

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »
This is a question for round Earthers, do you think google earth shows accurate sizes of continents and countries?

Are they not?
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »

I know one thing...this is most certainly as real as those really bad....and i mean really bad globe pics rabinoz posts time and time again.....
Dutchy demonstrating his juggling prowess!

Like these "really bad globe pics rabinoz posts time and time again..... "?

Now kindly either:
        explain exactly what is wrong with those photos.
        admit that you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
I'll opt for the latter.

Why do you even bother posting, Dutchy, with your big-mouth but never anything to back up your claims.

Now please explain two little questions about this nice photo looking across Lake Michigan:

photo by:Gail of Waynes This and That
  • If the sun circles above the earth how did it get half hidden behing the horizon?
  • Where's the shore side of Lake Mitchigan? If the earth were flat it would be seen, even if silhouetted by the sun or the bright sky?

You're so funny, Dutchy. You seem to think that disproving space-flight proves the earth flat ::).
In case you hadn't heard the Globe has been the accepted shape for a couple on millennia and the Heliocentric Globe for quite a few centuries.

Ignorantly ridiculing photos of the Globe and space-flight proves nothing!

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »

Are they not?

No they are not. For example From Cairo Egypt to Johanesburg South Africa is roughly 5 thousand miles and it takes 8 hours to fly. From Chicago to Paris is about 4 thousand miles and it also takes 8 hours to fly. So there is a difference of thousand miles yet takes the same amount of time to fly. Something is wrong I think? LOL
JJA voted for Pedro

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »

Accurate for what purpose? The digital model of the earth it's based on is quite accurate for most purposes, but for very detailed work it's probably not good enough. It's based on the WGS 84 ellipsoid, which is an approximation of the overall shape of the earth, so that isn't perfect, and if you zoom in enough and look around you can probably find mismatches amounting to a few meters in the stitching of the imagery.

Any projection of the surface of the ellipsoidal earth onto a flat surface (such as a computer monitor) will have some distortion. Whether the distortion is a problem depends on what you're trying to do.

For just looking at the relationships between continents, countries, and subdivisions within countries, then I'd say yes, it's accurate except at very small scales (when distortion becomes significant). If I wanted to establish the location of boundaries for legal purposes based on the imagery at very large scales ("zoomed way in"), then no, it's not accurate enough. For that you need real surveys.

Aha! I see you answered part of that while I was typing... for those purposes, yes, GE is quite accurate.

Are they not?

No they are not. For example From Cairo Egypt to Johanesburg South Africa is roughly 5 thousand miles and it takes 8 hours to fly. From Chicago to Paris is about 4 thousand miles and it also takes 8 hours to fly. So there is a difference of thousand miles yet takes the same amount of time to fly. Something is wrong I think? LOL

There's not enough information to tell if something is wrong or not. Were these both nonstop flights (note that a direct flight is not the same as a nonstop flight)? Did they use the same equipment? Do they have the same prevailing winds? Do both follow approximately a great-circle path?

What are the flight numbers of these two routes?

[Edit to add] GE gives 4155 miles from ORD (Chicago O'Hare) to CDG (Paris Charles de Gaulle) and 3844 miles from CAI to JNB. That's a difference of about 300 miles, not 1,000. This agrees with published flight distances.

What's wrong appears to be that you goofed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:02:57 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
I don't know the flight numbers but the winds or the age of an airplane nor any other factors cannot justify thousand miles difference yet the same flight time. Thousand miles is a very long distance. So if the flight times are the same this means the globe is wrong.
JJA voted for Pedro

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »

Are they not?

Cairo to Johannesburg is 6265 kilometers and takes 8 hours 5 minutes on EgyptAir.
Cairo to Paris is 4,618 kilometers and takes 5 hours on Air France. The flight does not follow the most direct route, instead crossing the Mediterranean from Tunisia to Italy, probably to reduce the over-water time.

Note that not all planes/airlines fly at the same speed. Different aircraft types have different top and ideal speeds, and some airlines will be willing to burn more fuel and fly faster than others for the convenience of their passengers.

Crutchwater

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »

What makes those images "really bad"?
Do you have a sample of what they SHOULD look like?

You continually criticize my musicianship, yet there is absolutely no way you could have even the slightest clue as to my playing abilities, aside from my humble, self-depricating comments.

You are no one
You have nothing.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
I don't know the flight numbers but the winds or the age of an airplane nor any other factors cannot justify thousand miles difference yet the same flight time. Thousand miles is a very long distance. So if the flight times are the same this means the globe is wrong.

I'm not sure where you get your data from. But here are two flights that took place this week. Cruising speed for the fights:

ORD-CDG: 560 knots (most likely due to flying with the jetstream)
CAI-JNB: 480 knots

Approx 450km difference.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 03:55:39 PM »
This is a question for round Globe Earthers, do you think google earth shows accurate sizes of continents and countries?
Yes I do!

This is a question for flat-Earthers, where do you think Google Earth shows inaccurate sizes of continents and countries?

But look at this:

Australia Size on Ice Wall Map,
E-W 8,700 km and N-S 3,300 km

Australia on Gleason's Map,
E-W 8,700 km and N-S 3,200 km

Australia on Google Earth,
E-W 3,700 km and N-S 3,200 km

Measurement   
   Ice Wall   Gleason's   Google Earth
West-East 30° Lat   
   8,700 km   8,700 km   3,700 km
Cape Yk-Wils Prom   
   3,300 km   3,200 km   3,200 km

If you complain that these distances are from that "terrible" Google Earth, here is a map surveyed before 1855.

Map of Australia 1855
All I can do on that map is to measure distances the old way - measure distances from the map, but the same distances are close with 3659 km along the 30° parallel latitude.

The shape and dimensions of Australia on Google Earth look right to me.
So, New Earth, you prove me wrong!

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »

More likely your distances are wrong. Maybe you didn't notice my edit. The difference is more like 300 miles, not 1,000. Check your GE distances.

Can you check the distances you reported?

As a helpful suggestion, if you're making claims like this, having some information to back up your claims, so readers can check for themselves what you're saying, strengthens them if they're valid. Flight numbers, for example.

Many airlines publish the nominal distance along with the estimated times for their flights and the type of aircraft they use (especially for very long routes). It's possible to find typical airspeed specs for different types of aircraft online, and they do vary. If you find a significant difference between your measured distance and the published distance, a second look is called for. Sometimes scheduled routes deviate from the shortest possible for various political (you don't want to fly over an actively hostile country or a shooting war), practical (avoiding volcanic ash, minimizing travel over oceans or large deserts), or logistical (difficult to reach in the event of an emergency landing) reasons.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
New Earth, not only does Google Earth show accurate sizes and shapes of countries, but it all fits perfectly like a giant 3d jigsaw puzzle.

This means you can zoom out from most locations to a globe earth, or zoom in on almost any location in the world.

What's the  name and street name of your local library? We can all view it using Google Earth, right now.

Next year, my plan is to work in Antarctica. What does that tell you about flat earth and the stupid ice wall proposition? If it tells you flat earth is impossible, you would be right.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 06:09:31 AM »
New Earth, not only does Google Earth show accurate sizes and shapes of countries, but it all fits perfectly like a giant 3d jigsaw puzzle.

This means you can zoom out from most locations to a globe earth, or zoom in on almost any location in the world.

What's the  name and street name of your local library? We can all view it using Google Earth, right now.

Next year, my plan is to work in Antarctica. What does that tell you about flat earth and the stupid ice wall proposition? If it tells you flat earth is impossible, you would be right.

Work in Antarctica? So what. Just because you gonna work there how do you know it's shape? They are not gonna fly you to space and show you that right? They will take you South and land you on some remote icy landmass, but how you gonna know its really Antarctica? You are not going to. Belief in a globe is based on trust that is all it is.
JJA voted for Pedro

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 06:59:42 AM »

Work in Antarctica? So what. Just because you gonna work there how do you know it's shape? They are not gonna fly you to space and show you that right? They will take you South and land you on some remote icy landmass, but how you gonna know its really Antarctica? You are not going to. Belief in a globe is based on trust that is all it is.

To paraphrase the above: Just because you're working there, how do you know it really exists?  ::)

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 07:18:13 AM »

To paraphrase the above: Just because you're working there, how do you know it really exists?  ::)

Just because a map shows the shape of the continent, how do you know it really looks like that?
Rabinoz RIP

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

Just because a map shows the shape of the continent, how do you know it really looks like that?

Just because you put peanut butter on a sandwich how do you know it can't fly if you put it on a banana leaf?

NotSoSkeptical

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »

Just because you put peanut butter on a sandwich how do you know it can't fly if you put it on a banana leaf?

Just because you post on the internet how do you know that you aren't part of the matrix?
Rabinoz RIP