1m Wave block 100m building

• 124 Replies

JackBlack

Re: 1m Wave block 100m building
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »
You are missing the point. The ideal plane blocks the view. Then how about the sea with waves?
No, you are missing the point. There is no magic ideal plane to magically block the view.

If you are standing at or above the 1 m wave, the most it is able to block is 1 m.
I have already shown this.
Unlike your nonsense I showed the waves with a constant size, which would thus appear to shrink the further away they are. They remain well below your eye level and are completely unable to obstruct any more than 1 m of the building.

I also showed what your method required, where your fixed angular size waves need to grow to the height of the building.

Here it is again:
Here is what it looks like if the wave height remains constant:

Notice how the distant waves appear tiny, because they are far away?
This makes it so they can't block the view to the building (other than a small portion at the bottom).

Here is what it looks like if the wave height magically increases:

Notice how now the waves are massive?
The waves start out fairly small. At 1 km away they are only 1 m high, but near the building they end up roughly 10 m, which is the height of the building.

So which are you claiming matches reality? The one where the waves remain at 1 m height, or the 1 were the waves magically grow to be 10 m tall?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
1m high wave at eye level can cover 100m building.
Because the waves are near but the building is far from.

This is true. I have a working about it, that somewhere in here or another website.

In the simplest term, Although the sight distance is much shorter in a rough sea, you can visually follow a ship up to tens of kilometers in the sea without wind. this may extend equal to the distance to the horizon on the land; if there is no wind.
If your eye-level is below the top of the waves then the waves can block ships or buildings higher than the wave but
if your eye-level is above the top of the waves then the waves cannot block ships or buildings higher than the wave.

And the amount blocked can be expressed as waveheight + ((waveheight - eyeheight)/waveheight) x ((shipdistance - wavedistance)/wavedistance).
As an example:
WaveHeight = 2 m, WaveDistance = 10m and ShipDistance = 10 km
EyeHeight   BlockedHeight
   1.8 m               102 m
   1.9 m               52 m
   2.0 m                 2 m
   2.1 m              -48 m the negative values might apply if a ship were "over the curve".
   2.2 m              -98 m

zorbakim

• Pyeong Jee In
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »

This is true. I have a working about it, that somewhere in here or another website.

In the simplest term, Although the sight distance is much shorter in a rough sea, you can visually follow a ship up to tens of kilometers in the sea without wind. this may extend equal to the distance to the horizon on the land; if there is no wind.
If your eye-level is below the top of the waves then the waves can block ships or buildings higher than the wave but
if your eye-level is above the top of the waves then the waves cannot block ships or buildings higher than the wave.

And the amount blocked can be expressed as waveheight + ((waveheight - eyeheight)/waveheight) x ((shipdistance - wavedistance)/wavedistance).
As an example:
   1.9 m               52 m
   2.1 m              -48 m the negative values might apply if a ship were "over the curve".
   2.2 m              -98 m
No, the eye-level is the average height of top and bottom of the waves.
Of course, visually.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:07:56 AM by zorbakim »
The conceptual earth is round, but the sensory earth is flat.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2018, 01:30:01 AM »

As an example:
   1.9 m               52 m
   2.2 m              -98 m
Of course, visually.

I don't see how that disproves anything that I said.
My "WaveHeight" is what you called "Amplitude (height)" and I presented cases for a WaveHeight = 2 m and EyeHeight from 1.8 to 2.2 m above what you call "eye-level".

Of course a wave can hide a lot if your eye is at sea-level but that is not only quite unrealistic but almost impossible.

But even someone standing on a beach would have their eye-level from 2 to 3 m above sea-level.

So, I believe that my analysis stands, though if the waves extend to the ship/building  (and not as in your OP) there would be no hidden height less than wave height on a flat earth.

JackBlack

« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »
No it isn't. We are discussing someone above the wave. The specific example was a 1m high wave, with the observer 3 m high.
i.e. like this:
https://i.imgur.com/nO3TAHE.png

The eye level is at 0. The wave oscillates between -2 and -3 as it is well below the eye level. The view to the building is not obstructed except a small portion at the bottom (1 m if the waves reach the building).

No one is objecting to a wave above you blocking your view.