Happy Equinox, Be Happy and Don't Cry Over The Miserable Table of Sun Realities

• 58 Replies
?

frenat

I'm definitely not at the equator and I did see the sun rise due East and set due West on the equinox.

The sun is only directly over the tropic of Cancer at local midday for the summer solstice. An observer on the tropic of cancer would not see the sun rise due East on the solstice but rather they would see it rise in the North East (like everyone else). But they would see it rise due East on the equinox.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
If at some point the sun rises northeast and at some point it rises southeast. It has to rise due east at some point too. Seem reasonable?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
I'm definitely not at the equator and I did see the sun rise due East and set due West on the equinox.

The sun is only directly over the tropic of Cancer at local midday for the summer solstice. An observer on the tropic of cancer would not see the sun rise due East on the solstice but rather they would see it rise in the North East (like everyone else). But they would see it rise due East on the equinox.

Draw a diagram.

In the above diagram the earth is on its side. We are the sun that is directly over the equator on Equinox day. The observers on earth are marked with a red X. Why would the observers who are not on the equator see us rising from directly Eastwards?

East is at a right angle to North, and their compasses would not show us on their Eastern position.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:41:46 PM by Tom Bishop »

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
"This Time-Lapse Shows The Sun Only Rises Due East Two Days a Year

This time-lapse was created by Tobias Hoerburger, who took a photo looking due east over the German city of Regensburg 10 minutes after sunrise each day between 21 March 2015 and 20 March 2016."

https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-the-sun-hardly-ever-actually-rises-due-east

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
"This Time-Lapse Shows The Sun Only Rises Due East Two Days a Year

This time-lapse was created by Tobias Hoerburger, who took a photo looking due east over the German city of Regensburg 10 minutes after sunrise each day between 21 March 2015 and 20 March 2016."

I don't see a compass in that video. I just see a timelapse. There is not even an indication on which of those days are the equinox days.

A question remains unanswered above on why the sun would rise from directly east for all observers on that day in the Round Earth model.

It has not been shown that the sun does do this, nor is there an explanation for why it would do this. I continue to ask for evidence, and an explanation.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Can be confirmed via google maps/streetview:

?

frenat

Draw a diagram.

In the above diagram the earth is on its side. We are the sun that is directly over the equator on Equinox day. The observers on earth are marked with a red X. Why would the observers who are not on the equator see us rising from directly Eastwards?

East is at a right angle to North, and their compasses would not show us on their Eastern position.
Why?  Because the sun is very far away and many times the size of the Earth. It is directly over the equator at midday and South for anyone in the North and North for anyone in the South but it still rises due East.  Did you actually bother to look on the equinox? I and many others did. It rose in the East. and in the days preceding it, it rose North of East and since then has risen South of East.

And again, it does NOT rise in the East on the solstices, no matter what your location.  All perfectly explained with a globe.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Learn moar astronomy. The Round Earth model does not predict that the sun rises exactly from the east on equinox for everywhere on earth, only from points along the equator.
Incorrect.

We have never seen any sort of documented observation of this eastwards rising sun phenomenon from the equator.
You had a chance to document your own observation about 10 days ago from your location.  It most likely could have been done within your zero dollar research budget.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

- That guy is only 17 degrees south of the equator when the goal is to show that the sun rises from the east at locations away from the equator
- He is doing it the day after the equinox
- He is a rabid Round Earther youtube debater who is "trying to prove Flat Earth wrong" and has multiple anti-FE videos
-There is no compass in the video, and the road he claims to be on has curves in it

RET needs better evidence than that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:25:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer

Draw a diagram.

Why?  Because the sun is very far away and many times the size of the Earth. It is directly over the equator at midday and South for anyone in the North and North for anyone in the South but it still rises due East.  Did you actually bother to look on the equinox? I and many others did. It rose in the East. and in the days preceding it, it rose North of East and since then has risen South of East.

And again, it does NOT rise in the East on the solstices, no matter what your location.  All perfectly explained with a globe.

How is it explained? You need to explain why it would rise directly eastwards for all observers on that day.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer

Draw a diagram.

You tell me, because I live about 27° south of the equator and here the sun rises as new as my compass can determine.
And I would invite anyone else who has actually measured it to post their directions.

The YouTube channel Flat Earth Math is dedicated to people making their own measurements that are relevant to the flat earth ~ Globe earth issue.
There has been a whole series on Equinox observations and measurements. This is the introductory one:It might be worth looking at.

PS: Remember that the Sun is about 93,000,000 miles above the equator of the Globe.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

- That guy is only 17 degrees south of the equator when the goal is to show that the sun rises from the east at locations away from the equator
- He is a Round Earther "trying to prove Flat Earth wrong" and has multiple anti-FE videos
- The road he picked has curves in it

- 1200 miles south of the equator is not "away from the equator"? Seriously?
- Yep, a day after it. Do you expect the sun to magically fly off in a radically different direction in less than 24 hours?
- So, what's your point? You complained the other guy didn't have a compass. This guy does.
- What? What's your point?

Lastly, what would accept as evidence? Specifically.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
You tell me, because I live about 27° south of the equator and here the sun rises as new as my compass can determine.

According to the illustration I made, it should not happen in RET. Are you going to explain why it should happen or not?

And I would invite anyone else who has actually measured it to post their directions.

The YouTube channel Flat Earth Math is dedicated to people making their own measurements that are relevant to the flat earth ~ Globe earth issue.
There has been a whole series on Equinox observations and measurements. This is the introductory one:

]https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=UEkq6jFosrA]

Equinox Observations: Flat Earth + Globe Earth: Introduction, Flat Earth Math

It might be worth looking at.

I don't see any evidence there. I just see a video giving suggestions on what experiments are possible.

PS: Remember that the Sun is about 93,000,000 miles above the equator of the Globe.

So? Why is the sun exactly east of all observers on Equinox day as opposed to any other day? You have not explained it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:35:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
- He is a Round Earther "trying to prove Flat Earth wrong" and has multiple anti-FE videos
- The road he picked has curves in it

- 1200 miles south of the equator is not "away from the equator"? Seriously?
- Yep, a day after it. Do you expect the sun to magically fly off in a radically different direction in less than 24 hours?
- So, what's your point? You complained the other guy didn't have a compass. This guy does.
- What? What's your point?

Lastly, what would accept as evidence? Specifically.

Yes, 1000 miles from the equator is pretty close, when the circumference of the earth is 24,900 miles.

There should be mountains of evidence for this phenomenon from conventional sources.

The best you can find is some guy who lives near the equator and who took a video on a curvy road, specifically to win some Flat Earth debate on the internet. That evidence is certainly not good enough.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
There should be mountains of evidence for this phenomenon from conventional sources.

The best you can find is some guy who lives near the equator and who took a video on a curvy road, specifically to win some Flat Earth debate on the internet. That evidence is certainly not good enough.

I live 1200 miles from Amarillo, Texas, do I live near Amarillo? I'm 4 states away.
Curvy road? You can look on a map at his coordinates and see exactly the direction he is pointed.

So what would be good enough? You keep avoiding the question.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
I live 1200 miles from Amarillo, Texas, do I live near Amarillo? I'm 4 states away.
Curvy road? You can look on a map at his coordinates and see exactly the direction he is pointed.
So what would be good enough? You keep avoiding the question.

Take a pencil and hold it out in front of your face, with the sharp part pointing away from your eyes. It is possible to hold it out in front of you and then slightly position your head around it to make it align with lots of different objects in the background via perspective.

This is what he is doing with the straight objects on the road. He is not really all that far away from the equator, and he is using the straight artifacts on the road close to him to align with the sun. There is no compass he compares against, only the straight bodies in the foreground. This is the same as the pencil example above. Do the pencil experiment. It is possible to get the pencil to "point" at many things in the background that are not directly lined up with the pencil.

As we can see, it's not really a good piece of evidence. I suspect that this author did indeed have a compass, was perfectly aware of phone compass apps, and chose to use this particular tactic for his Flat Earth debates.

What evidence would be good? Finding demonstrations or documented observations of this with proper equipment, or posting the documented observations from the conventional sources that were used to verified this property of the equinox. Surely it was not just made up?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:11:29 PM by Tom Bishop »

Context matter. Seems the article is talking about year round.

No. It is not. It is the sentence right below the heading of "Why is the equinox important for permaculture?"

In the Round Earth model the sun does not rise from directly east on the equinox day, except at the equator.

Think about it. If you are located on the Tropic of Capricorn why would the sun come out of the earth from a direction that is directly Eastwards at a time when the sun is located over the equator?

Because the celestial equator crosses the horizon directly eastward and westward of an observer on the surface of the earth, and the sun is on the celestial equator at the equinox.

The sun would only come out of the horizon directly Eastwards when the sun was over the Tropic of Capricorn.

Nope.

It's a myth.

Nope. You're just mistaken.

Here is another myth: The length of day and night is the same everywhere on earth during equinox.

In 2015 Deborah Scherrer of the Standford Solar Center provided a document titled Ancient Observatories - Timeless Knowledge. On page 39 we see the following:

Calculating the Equinoxes

Most dictionaries erroneously define the equinox as: “the time or date (twice each year) at which the Sun crosses the celestial equator, when day and night are of equal length (about September 22 and March 20)”. However, there is no place on Earth where the day and night are of equal length on the given days.

Latitude Determines Day Length

In fact, latitude determines day length. Even if day and night aren’t exactly equal on the day of the equinox, there are days when day and night are both very close to 12 hours. However, this date depends on the location’s latitude, and can vary by as much as several weeks. The table shows approximate dates for when day and night are as similar as possible according to latitude.

<table>

As we can see, the equal days and equal nights on equinox does not really happen at all. In fact, closer to the equator the time of equal day and equal night (the "equilax") is separated from the date of the equinox by several weeks.

You stopped reading that article too soon. Immediately after the table, on p.40 in the cited publication, the author explains why this is the case:

Geometry Affects Day Length
On the equator, the day and night stay approximately the same length all year round, but the day will always appear a little longer than 12 hours.  On the equinoxes, the geometric center of the Sun is above the horizon for 12 hours, and you might think that the length of the day (hours of daylight) would be 12 hours too. However, ‘sunrise’ is defined as the moment the upper edge of the Sun's disk becomes visible above the horizon – not when the center of the Sun is visible. In the same sense, ‘sunset’ refers to the moment the Sun's upper edge, not the center, disappears below the horizon. The time it takes for the Sun to fully rise and set, which is several minutes, is added to the day and subtracted from the night, and therefore the equinox day lasts a little longer than 12 hours.

Refraction Affects Day Length
Another problem is that the Earth's atmosphere refracts, or bends, sunlight.  This causes the Sun’s upper edge to be visible from Earth several minutes before the edge actually reaches the horizon. The same thing happens at sunset, when you can see the Sun for several minutes after it has actually dipped under the horizon. So, every day on Earth – including the days of the equinoxes – is at least 6 minutes longer than it would have been without this refraction.  Making this even more complicated -- the extent of refraction depends on atmospheric pressure and temperature.

This in no way conflicts with the spherical model of the globe.

You posted a reply as I was composing this one. It pretty much restates the same thing.

Those are illustrations, not proof. Where is the evidence?

The evidence is in the location of the rising and setting sun. You don't even have to trust anyone else's evidence. Go look at it sometime. Do you want me to remind you next March?

The equinox is full of myth.

::)

How can you maintain that an observer at the Tropic of Cancer would see the sun come out of the horizon directly eastwards both on the day the sun is over the Tropic of Cancer and when the the day that the sun is over the equator on Equinox day?

I don't. Where did you think I said that? At the June solstice, the sun is north of the equator so it rises north of due east. Look at the diagrams.

That is an egregious error.

It would be if I did maintain that. I don't.

The sun is rising from Northeastern to Southeastern positions throughout the year, and it makes that back and fourth pattern only once per year.

Right. And it crosses due east twice in a year; once on the way north and once on the way south. On the equinoxes. Which is what is predicted by a spherical earth and sun so distant that parallax is insignificant.

The "equal day and night on Equinox" is a myth as well, as we saw in my last post. Dictionaries, astronomy websites, all wrong. The Stanford Solar Observatory scientist said it herself.

How about proving your assertions?

I'll remind you in March. Then you can see for yourself. How Zetetic is that?

After every post I will ask for evidence.

What do you consider evidence?

Here's a short time-lapse video from England titled Sun setting due West, Spring Equinox 2018 and self-described: "This video was taken from a location (52.2385, -0.8029) due East of the National Lift Tower" that shows the sun setting behind a tower in the distance. It's less than 50 seconds long

I don't really like videos, but you guys seem to value them, and this seems gives enough information to verify it, if you're so inclined.

You will continue to have no evidence, and due to this lack of evidence, you will continue to lose this debate. Beating you guys is very easy. It is getting to be trivial and boring.

It sounds like you're preparing to declare victory and leave because you're losing. Again.

If truth were on your side you would have mountain of evidence to show us.

We do. We're constantly offering it. It's either summarily ignored, or you slink away and pretend it never happened.

[Edit] Repair link to video.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:35:21 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Your video link does not work, but since posting non-evidence is your trend, I will assume that, once again, you do not really have any evidence for your position.

Edit: I was able to get the URL by quoting your post.

URL: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

There is no compass in the video. My previous comment is confirmed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:31:28 PM by Tom Bishop »

Your video link does not work, but since posting non-evidence is your trend, I will assume that, once again, you do not really have any evidence for your position.

I'm not sure what went wrong. The previous post was edited so the link at least works now. At any rate, apologies for the inconvenience.

Not so fast, my friend! The video shows (and the comment names) a landmark, the comment provides the observer's latitude and longitude (to about 40 feet), and the video pans his location so the location (and, thus, direction to the landmark) can be independently verified by anyone so inclined.

We do. We're constantly offering it. It's either summarily ignored, or you slink away and pretend it never happened.

See?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

frenat

Draw a diagram.

How is it explained? You need to explain why it would rise directly eastwards for all observers on that day.
I didn't say I explained it. I said it is explained by the globe. If you can't visualize in three dimensions that is not my problem.  You already proved you didn't understand what happens on the solstice when you thought the Sun should rise to the East when the Sun is over the Tropic of Cancer at midday.

It rises due East for all observers on the equinox because it is due East.
This video might help you to visualize it

Look at the earth at around 2:13 in the video. For those at the terminator where the sun would be rising for them, which direction is the Sun? Here is a screenshot if you can't bother to watch the video

Anyone can look at the Sun rise on the equinox and verify it for themselves. Why didn't you?

You're fussing about parallax. The distance to the sun is (according to "the round earth model") very large compared to the size of the earth, so parallax (change in apparent direction to the sun) from anywhere on earth is quite small, about 1/200 of a degree at most.

If the circle in your diagram is 100 mm (about 4") diameter and represents the diameter of the earth, the sun at that scale would be a distance of about 1.1 km away. How much does the direction to a point more than 1 km away change when looking from vantage points 100 mm apart? About 1/200 of a degree.

It's difficult to understand the model if you have no conception of the distances involved.

That's the explanation.

Danang

• Everything will be "Phew" in its time :')
"Now explain how your upside-down flat-earth predicts this."

>> Since I've unlearnt everything from school, and started from zero, for the time being I've had no claim about many things. Research is on going.  ;)

How are you typing and using words if you have refuted all information you have ever been taught?  Literally everything you do is something you learned from somebody else.  Being incapable of understanding the difference between credible information and complete bullshit is not a sign of intelligence...in fact just the opposite.  Since there is no way you will ever be able to discover and learn anything significant on your own, who will you trust to teach you?

In order for information to be considered valid in your silly world, do you have to agree with all of it?

After unlearning into zero school knowledge, starting to select and accept things under own verification, as well as to form new concepts.
Which unfortunately do not work! Tough about that, Danang, but your ideas don't work and the heliocentric Globe does.

Hi speed sun at sunrise time and then deaccelerate towards noon. While certain people - who believe in globe and don't believe in firmament - claim the earth rotates with steady speed. Are you kidding?  :o
I'm sure you've got the answer about it >> "made up answer".  ;D
• South Pole Centered FE Map AKA Phew FE Map
• Downwards Universal Deceleration.

Phew's Silicon Valley: https://gwebanget.home.blog/

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Hi speed sun at sunrise time and then deaccelerate towards noon.
Incorrect! If you think otherwise, prove it!

Quote from: Danang
While certain people - who believe in globe and don't believe in firmament - claim the earth rotates with steady speed. Are you kidding? 
Nope! I'm not kidding. Take Quito, Ecuador, on the equator (because it's easy)
Time   Elevation  Azimuth  deg/hour

06:05         0.2°E          90.1°         
07:05       14.7°E           90.1°         14.5°
08:05        29.7°E          90.1°         15.0°
09:05        44.7°E          90.1°         15.0°
10:05        59.7°E          90.1°         15.0°
11:05        74.7°E          90.2°         15.0°
12:05        89.7°E        102.7°         15.0°
13:05       75.3°W        269.7°         15.0°
14:05       60.3°W        269.8°         15.0°
15:05       45.3°W        269.8°         15.0°
16:05       30.3°W        269.7°         15.0°
17:05       15.3°W        269.7°         15.0°
18:05         0.7°W        269.7°         14.6°
It sure looks like 15.0°/hour except right at sunrise and sunset. The old Globe rotates round and round almost like clockwork.
You could almost use it as a clock ;)!
Too late! Someone else thought of that long ago in a place far away.

Danang

"Acceleration/deacceleration" of the sun is among hot topics in astronomy. People question this phenomenon all the time.  8)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
"Acceleration/deacceleration" of the sun is among hot topics in astronomy. People question this phenomenon all the time.  8)
::) They do ::)? Please give me some references to this questioning and how the " 'Acceleration/deacceleration' of the sun" affects the rotation of earth.

But the apparent movement of the sun across the sky is almost entirely due to the rotation of the earth once in ;) approximately ;) 23.934472 hours.
The remaining 235.901 seconds (on average) are due to earth's orbiting the sun.
This component of the length of a solar day does vary slightly during the year leading to the solar (sundial) time getting ahead or behind "clock time".

;) Late News ;).
I could not find any " 'Acceleration/deacceleration' of the sun"
but I did find this: Atmospheric acceleration and Earth-expansion deceleration of the Earth rotation by WenbinShen.
I don't think I'll change my clocks just yet - they are talking about milliseconds per century!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:22:21 PM by rabinoz »

I'm not sure what went wrong. The previous post was edited so the link at least works now. At any rate, apologies for the inconvenience.

Not so fast, my friend! The video shows (and the comment names) a landmark, the comment provides the observer's latitude and longitude (to about 40 feet), and the video pans his location so the location (and, thus, direction to the landmark) can be independently verified by anyone so inclined.

See?

As expected, after offering a poor excuse for ignoring the evidence, Tom has quietly vanished.

No matter... I'll remind him a week or so before the next equinox, which will be Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 2:58 PM PDT (I think Tom lives in California). There should be no need for anyone else to provide to evidence to him that the sun sets due west on the equinox. He can easily verify this for himself if he really wants to know.

It's a week from the Equinox, so this thread is relevant again.

The equinox will occur at about 3 PM California time on Wednesday, March 20. Here's the chance for Tom to see for himself that the sun rises and sets due east an west that day. My recommendation would be to find a nice spot with a view of the Pacific Ocean from a place where a recognizable landmark can be confirmed to be due west, and watch the sun set behind it. The sun will have moved a few minutes of arc north of the equator in the hours between equinox and sunset on the California coast, but the apparent size of the sun is much larger than that, so that small error is inconsequential.

The long-range forecast for Monterey, CA predicts that it will be cloudy next Wednesday, so against that happening, maybe start watching the sun set each evening you can before and after, and note that it must have passed from south of due west to north of due west at about the time of the equinox. Or maybe you can find a suitable location with better weather on the day of the equinox and observe from there.

While watching the sun drop below the horizon might be a good time to contemplate how such could work if the sun is circling above the flat earth.

Good luck and let us know what you see! If you're planning on just coming back here saying that it didn't set due west, expect to be asked for some conclusive evidence that shows that you are correct.

Who is this Stanford solar observatory scientist who said equal day and night on equinox is a myth? Not equal within what parameters?

Being on a spherical moving and rotating planet, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but equinox is never going to be exactly equal day and night, down to the minute. It will be as close as it gets.

Tom, are you trying to say you've actually won a flat earth debate? Lol, surely you jest?

Danang

::) They do ::)? Please give me some references to this questioning and how the " 'Acceleration/deacceleration' of the sun" affects the rotation of earth.

But the apparent movement of the sun across the sky is almost entirely due to the rotation of the earth once in ;) approximately ;) 23.934472 hours.
The remaining 235.901 seconds (on average) are due to earth's orbiting the sun.
This component of the length of a solar day does vary slightly during the year leading to the solar (sundial) time getting ahead or behind "clock time".

;) Late News ;).
I could not find any " 'Acceleration/deacceleration' of the sun"
but I did find this: Atmospheric acceleration and Earth-expansion deceleration of the Earth rotation by WenbinShen.
I don't think I'll change my clocks just yet - they are talking about milliseconds per century!

Umbra speed in 2017's America solar eclipse is much faster than sun speed in equator.