Star Trails prove the flat earth?

• 22 Replies
Star Trails prove the flat earth?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:44:25 PM »
Plenty of flat-earthers say that star trails prove the flat earth. If you use a long exposure camera you can see that in the northern and southern hemisphere the stars travel in a circular pattern. Flat-earthers say this proves that the earth isn't moving, the stars are moving around us are moving.

However, if you go to the equator you will see that star trails do not move in a circular pattern, they move in the half circle, like a rainbow, from horizon to horizon. Then if you look to the north the lines curve to the north and if you look to the south they curve to the south.

If the earth was flat, the trail would just look like a bigger and bigger circle, not two individual circles. It's almost like the stars move in a spherical path and in a circular pattern above the earth.

So how do star trails move on a flat earth?
If the answer is so clear and simple, I don't see why it takes all of this back and forth nonsense. Just give an answer with valid proof behind it.

Buzz Aldrin Lightyear

• To insanity...and beyond!
Re: Star Trails prove the flat earth?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:02 PM »
The ancient peoples were right in believing that the stars are spirits which wander the sky. As you travel to different parts of our disk, different spirits wander the skies on different paths. We do not know why certain spirits wander the way they do, but we can hope that some day they will find peace.
Mission Log, Stardate 4072: My ship has run off course en route to sector 12. I’ve crash landed on a strange planet...and there seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere...

JackBlack

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
If the earth was flat, the trail would just look like a bigger and bigger circle, not two individual circles.
This part is actually the much bigger issue and relates to many issues for FE and things above us.
While they would be circles, they wouldn't look like that because you aren't viewing them from the centre.
They should appear as ellipses. (and no ellipse should go below the horizon).

The ancient peoples were right in believing that the stars are spirits which wander the sky. As you travel to different parts of our disk, different spirits wander the skies on different paths. We do not know why certain spirits wander the way they do, but we can hope that some day they will find peace.
The ancient models are more akin to the RE model than the FE model.
They had the stars (including the sun) and the moon and planets all go under Earth. That is why you couldn't see them all the time, because they were under Earth.

If they were merely above another point on a flat Earth you would still be able to see them.

They were also completely wrong in thinking they were spirits. Their paths show no intelligence at all.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:29:25 AM »

No.

Stars are celestial bodies that generate light and other radiant energy by nuclear reactions and are held together by their own gravity.

This is well documented and can be easily observed by pointing a cheap telescope to the night sky.
Be gentle

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »

The Renaissance has called. They want their occultism back.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:44:28 PM »

Even if that were the flat earth answer, it wouldn't explain how the stars move in a nearly perfect circle or why at the stars at the equator look the way they do.

Flat-earthers, answer the question.
If the answer is so clear and simple, I don't see why it takes all of this back and forth nonsense. Just give an answer with valid proof behind it.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »

Even if that were the flat earth answer, it wouldn't explain how the stars move in a nearly perfect circle or why at the stars at the equator look the way they do.

"And fyi, exploding air in the blood is an effect obsevred when deep sea divers rise too fast."

Themightykabool

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »

1. That doesn't explain how the stars move on FE. The equator has half circles of star trails, how and why? With that model, the stars would be going into the earth? How? That also doesn't explain how the southern hemisphere works either.

2. Umm, yes we can. You might not see it be people on the other side of the earth will, common sense.

3. This didn't disprove the RE, especially the video I posted above.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:25:12 PM by ThatsInteresting »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »

I know that you're just trolling, but why shouldn't the constellations above and below the earth be visible year-round?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

I know that you're just trolling, but why shouldn't the constellations above and below the earth be visible year-round?

Because aliens wrote the bible
"And fyi, exploding air in the blood is an effect obsevred when deep sea divers rise too fast."

Themightykabool

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »

Actually the unseen constellations, are hidden by the glare of the sun. With a globe you have two sides, one that is facing the sun and one that is facing away from the sun, the one that is facing away from the sun is the night sky, allowing you to see the constellations, as the earth orbits the sun,  moving to the opposite side of the sun, you have a change in seasons and a change in the consolations that are visible during the night. During a solar eclipse, guess what, you can see the constellations that would be normally invisible in the day time. Don't forget that the earth is rotating on its axis every 24 hours for a day night cycle.
The constellations that can be seeing year round are those associated with the Poll-Star or very close to it.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »

They were also completely wrong in thinking they were spirits. Their paths show no intelligence at all.

They show a perfect understanding of orbital mechanics.

JackBlack

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
They show a perfect understanding of orbital mechanics.
You are confusing obedience/following with understanding.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
Hmm, no actual responses yet?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:05:26 AM »
I would claim that Star Trails provide evidence of the Globe earth.

This video of star trails from Broome and Sydney might explain it better than I could:

Star Trails - more evidence the Earth is not Flat.
This shows that:
  • Looking due south the stars appear to rotate clockwise about a point an angle above the horizon equal to the south latitude of the viewing point.

• Looking due north the stars appear to rotate anti-clockwise about a point an angle below the horizon equal to the south latitude of the viewing point.

• Looking due east the stars appear to rise in a straight line, tilting left at an angle equal to the south latitude with
    stars to the north curving to the north and stars to the south curving to the south.
:D I hope you find the video easier to visualise to than my description ;).

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
So, no one can explain how star trails move on a flat earth?

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »

Something like this

The earth believes, because magic exists!

JackBlack

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
Something like this
That video is an attempt at solving a completely different problem, why the sun appears to rise and set.
They dishonestly use an atmoplane or region the sun is in which is nothing like what we actually have and don't provide any of these details. We also see significant differences as objects approach the horizon.
No where do they address how the atmosphere actually works, providing details like index of refraction, or what magic environment they have the sun in.
They are setting up a model to try to force a FE to match reality with no justification for any of the claims, nor any details provided which would easily expose them.
They need the sun in a material with a higher refractive index than the atmoplane.

No where does it attempt to explain the apparence of stars in the southern hemisphere.

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
I agree that this video is not quite tactful, since the atmosphere does act differently. But it's not the video itself. The point is in the very approach - rejection of stereotypes.

JackBlack

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 12:49:21 AM »
I agree that this video is not quite tactful, since the atmosphere does act differently. But it's not the video itself. The point is in the very approach - rejection of stereotypes.
They aren't stereotypes. It is a fundamental problem with reality.
They rely upon refraction which does not match reality at all.

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 01:48:16 AM »
**They aren't stereotypes. It is a fundamental problem with reality.
They rely upon refraction which does not match reality at all.**

I closed a wing морду*. I not speak about that generally.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
Here's a question about star trails:

When you are somewhere in the Arctic Circle (near the North Pole), the stars move around the north pole in counter-clockwise direction.  But when you are in the vicinity of the South Pole, the stars move around the south pole in the clockwise direction.  This seems possible only if the earth is round.

JackBlack

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 11:22:37 PM »
When you are somewhere in the Arctic Circle (near the North Pole), the stars move around the north pole in counter-clockwise direction.  But when you are in the vicinity of the South Pole, the stars move around the south pole in the clockwise direction.  This seems possible only if the earth is round.
Technically this is also possible with a bipolar model.

The issue is when you move away from these points, you can still see the motion of the stars tracing these circles (or parts thereof).
This is always around a point due north and a point due south, always 180 degrees apart. That is impossible for a FE.
Also, these remain as circles, not being distorted to ellipses as it should for something above a FE.