Searching, and YOU!

• 7 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Searching, and YOU!
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
I am working this weekend on building in search to our new platform. I'll be indexing our data on Monday, and am building a plan around what we want to search by. Currently, this is my vision, but I want to know what you want out of a search:

- Cross concern, search will bring up site content, forum posts, users, threads, and one day book content from our library (thanks to Daniel for the leg work getting these scanned and over-layed with text, and uploading and scanning them.)
- Search by content, title, author, author pseudonyms (maybe?), thread title, group title (ie suggestions and concerns), date or date range, most common words in post, most common words in post and matches in thread, and type (posts, users, threads, books...)
- Things you want!
- Search as you type functionality
- speed and coverage of all our posts through cloud technologies

So what do you want?

Username

• Administrator
Re: Searching, and YOU!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Also, common things folks search for and stuff that should be boosted for that.

For example, if we have great threads about sunrises when someone searches for this they should show up first.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
Would it be possible to search within a specific thread? Especially for posts by a particular user.

One of the most annoying things I've found when using the search is that it just points to the last occurrence of a phrase in a thread that might be dozens of pages long, at the very least, and when you don't even know for sure if what you're looking for is in a thread, that's a lot to sort through.

So, for example, if I wanted to find where 'six gates theory' is mentioned in Sandokhan's AFET thread, I'd be able to direct the search specifically at that one thread, rather than searching the whole forum and only getting the singular, last post from that thread.

Functionality like a 'thanks, this helped!' thumbs up might help with sorting the good stuff to the top too, as an aside.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
Yes! This is something google.com has on a per page basis I wanted to make thread based. This is kinda covered in "by thread title", but we'll need to add another entry to make sure the ui is thread based too (so you don't have to hit search, thread, then the thread name or what not - instead just a box on the thread page)

I had planned on tying in the 'like' functionality mentioned in another thread to the search relevancy - good idea.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
And since I didn't mention it explicitly, this will all be the same for the new platform and the current smf based one. Its the first thing I'll be bringing over from terra firma into out current setup. Most of the other stuff will be available far later via an early adopters "try the new experience" sorta mechanic. But search has been in a bad place for a long time due to smf not being able to index our posts at an appropriate speed.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Yes! This is something google.com has on a per page basis I wanted to make thread based. This is kinda covered in "by thread title", but we'll need to add another entry to make sure the ui is thread based too (so you don't have to hit search, thread, then the thread name or what not - instead just a box on the thread page)

I had planned on tying in the 'like' functionality mentioned in another thread to the search relevancy - good idea.
I think Janes suggest is valuable, though you seem to have it covered.

Then I think that
"Search by content, title, author, author pseudonyms (maybe?), thread title, group title (ie suggestions and concerns), date or date range, most common words in post, most common words in post and matches in thread, and type (posts, users, threads, books...)"
would be valuable with "Search by title, author, thread title, date or date range" the main ones.

It must keep you rather busy!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
I want searches about my workings to stay upside of sandokhan's workings those nobody understand anything. When they find sandokhan's workings, then visitors think we always publish things those nobody understand them.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »

I think Janes suggest is valuable, though you seem to have it covered.

Then I think that
"Search by content, title, author, author pseudonyms (maybe?), thread title, group title (ie suggestions and concerns), date or date range, most common words in post, most common words in post and matches in thread, and type (posts, users, threads, books...)"
would be valuable with "Search by title, author, thread title, date or date range" the main ones.

It must keep you rather busy!

This.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.