Dark matter may have been found

• 11 Replies
Dark matter may have been found
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:30:48 AM »
Actually wanted to post this as part of a discussion on the other forum, but I'm not a member there.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2149742-half-the-universes-missing-matter-has-just-been-finally-found/

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: Dark matter may have been found
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:03:00 AM »
Actually wanted to post this as part of a discussion on the other forum, but I'm not a member there.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2149742-half-the-universes-missing-matter-has-just-been-finally-found/

That is not about dark matter.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »

Good that you brought that up. I had noted the New Scientist article but had missed that significance of it.

It is baryonic matter, not dark matter but it might be what was thought to be dark matter, so very significant.
The missing links between galaxies have finally been found. This is the first detection of the roughly half of the normal matter in our universeprotons, neutrons and electrons – unaccounted for by previous observations of stars, galaxies and other bright objects in space.

Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter – linking galaxies together through filaments of hot, diffuse gas.

New Scientist, Half the universe’s missing matter has just been finally found
Though maybe it accounts for some of "dark matter", who knows - not I!
Strangely familiar: Is dark matter normal stuff in disguise?
Dreaming up new particles to explain the universe’s missing mass has got us nowhere. Great clumps of quarks stuck together in weird ways could do the trick
IT’S matter, but not as we know it. In July, an unexpected visitor appeared at CERN’s Large Hadron Collider near Geneva, Switzerland. Dubbed the pentaquark, this peculiar particle represents a fundamentally new way to aggregate the basic building blocks of matter. Although not forbidden by our current understanding of how stuff comes together, it had never been conclusively spotted before.

New Scientist, Is dark matter normal stuff in disguise?

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »

That is not about dark matter.

This is a flat earth forum so it seemed right to use a 'click-bait' title and quote an article with only the most tenuous link to the subject matter.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 06:45:20 AM »
It's definitely an interesting article. Alas, the search for dark matter marches ever onwards. How insanely weird is it that such huge and fundamental portions of the universe are just kinda missing when we try to look for them?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »
It's definitely an interesting article. Alas, the search for dark matter marches ever onwards. How insanely weird is it that such huge and fundamental portions of the universe are just kinda missing when we try to look for them?

Why is it weird? Why should we even expect that most of the stuff in the universe that interacts gravitationally also interacts electromagnetically?

I also postulate that 99.9999999999999% of the universe consists of stuff that does not interact at all with anything we know. Seriously, why should it?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »
I think it's weird because there is so much that we DO see, and yet somehow there is substantially more just hiding in plain sight.

This isn't a scientific opinion I'm expressing here, it's just my own fascination in the topic.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »
I think it's weird because there is so much that we DO see, and yet somehow there is substantially more just hiding in plain sight.

This isn't a scientific opinion I'm expressing here, it's just my own fascination in the topic.

Actually given the amount of empty space out there we see very little.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
I'm not sure why you are trying to take a contrarian position against me right now, but I'm not taking the bait.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
I'm not sure why you are trying to take a contrarian position against me right now, but I'm not taking the bait.

Cause it is not weird for me.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
We've been able to measure dark matter for years. We know exactly how much is in our galaxy and many others from rotation curves. Amd we can tell how much is between galaxies from Gravitiational lensing. So its not a question of does it exist, it definately does. We just have never been able to... Touch it, so to speak. But i doubt we will... Most of those articles are clickbait science to get published. We'd need energies in the TeV and we just havent managed it without blowing something up

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
We've been able to measure dark matter for years. We know exactly how much is in our galaxy and many others from rotation curves. Amd we can tell how much is between galaxies from Gravitiational lensing. So its not a question of does it exist, it definately does. We just have never been able to... Touch it, so to speak. But i doubt we will... Most of those articles are clickbait science to get published. We'd need energies in the TeV and we just havent managed it without blowing something up

It's a little more than just that we haven't been able to touch it. But hey, it has a name, so we know what we're dealing with right?