The Greek Minister of Development says "the tourist is our job"

• 14 Replies

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Love to hear that the country is basically one big amusement park and the tourists are just our collective ďjobĒ!

If that doesnít sound shitty enough to you or if you donít understand what itís about, hereís some context:

Only about 20% of the population has received any vaccine doses and only around 10% has been fully vaccinated. The hospitals have been at their limits for a long time and all that is despite excessively strict lockdown measures in some regards and excessively lax in others for much longer in general than anyone else in Europe as far as I know. Basically every time the situation was getting a bit better, they immediately relaxed the measures a little bit, then it got worse after like 5 days so they tightened back the measures. Eventually the British strain took over. This meant that weíve been in perpetual lockdown for months now with no results. Itís been so long with 0 results and the measures are so weird, confusing, non sensical and unnecessarily restrictive that no one gives a shit about them any more so most of them have become unenforcable.

The motivation behind the strict measures was to eliminate Covid so that the country can open up for tourists in the summer. Except obviously that didnít happen because theyíre incompetent morons. But regardless of the surge the country is still gonna open up now. A few days ago open air restaurants, cafes, taverns etc opened up. This wasnít bad because as I said previously itís been some time since people have gotten sick of the often very strict restrictions and right now people meeting others out in the open in taverns and cafes with restrictions in the number of tables per square meter etc is preferable to people piling up in each othersí homes or doing massive parties in city squares. But what no sane person is looking forward to is the tourists. It was clear that when summer comes the government will just ignore the covid situation and let tourists in. But tourists are the fucking worst possible thing for covid transmission. It was tourism during the summer of 2020 which brought us here in the first place, before that we had practically 0 new cases per day thanks to the first lockdown, which did work very well. Tourists bring with them new covid variants, and as if that isnít enough, tourists never stay in their hotel rooms, which, uh, of course they donít, no one goes to a different country to stay in place. They eat out all the time. They tend to congregate in specific places en masse. They also tend to get drunk as fuck and barf everywhere. Thatís pretty much the whole reason they come here, they donít come here to do social distancing and self isolation. And itís not just a few people. In a normal year the tourists that come in are 3x the population of the country. This wonít be a normal year but itís still gonna be lots.

Hereís the truly crazy thing though. Thereís this one measure that is just annoying as fuck and completely nuts. In order to get out of your house, you have to send an SMS with your name, your location, and the reason you are leaving your house. You can chose one out of 6 possible reasons. 9/10 times none of the reasons really matches what you need to do and the rules are getting increasingly complicated.

Hereís one example of how weird the rules are, if your head starts feeling heavy, just skip it:

Thereís a new number where you send an SMS now which works in parallel with the other one and that number only accepts one SMS per day and itís for shopping now that thatís opened up but the other number is also for shopping but itís about necessities (thatís code 2) and with the new number you can leave your town and go somewhere else to shop but you canít do that for necessities and in fact you can only go to a supermarket that is within a 2km radius from where you live but you can actually get outside of the town as long as you are within a 2km radius, as opposed to going for a walk which is code 6 and you can go further than 2km but only as long as it is within your town, except if it is a weekend, since recently it was changed so that you can use code 6 to go outside your town on weekends but still inside your county which you canít leave for any reason afaik right now except you can leave the country so basically you could leave the country and return to a different country and thatís fine but itís just that you canít go from one to the other while you are within Greece, anyways in all cases you have to come back before 23:00 which recently went up from 22:00, which in turn had gone up from 21:00 for all days, but before that it used to be 21:00 for week days and 19:00 for weekends, except of course there was always code 1 which is urgent doctor visit which you could use to circumvent the curfew, and I forgot to mention that recently code 6 has been expanded to also include sitting at a cafe or restaurant which btw while they are allowed to operate they canít have music, as well as swimming in the sea but only as long as the sea is close enough to you or if it is a weekend, and now you can also go fishing but which you couldnít before, but you can only do that as long as you are no further from I believe 600m from the shore, for some reason.

Yeah.

Itís basically become impossible to not unintentionally break the law in one way or the other just for coming out of your house. So the SMS thing is one ridiculous restriction that everyone hates. Another one is the curfew. Neither measure is working at anyways and people break them all the time by now. Finally a lot of people are annoyed by the fact that you canít move between counties, since itís isolated many people from their loved ones or even made working really hard for some.

The reason the minister of development (heís an ex telemarketer btw who used to sell Holocaust denialist books to boomers) was talking about how tourists are ďour jobĒ is that the government decided that obviously it is moronic to try and impose all these weird fucking rules to tourists. However, they havenít decided the same thing for the rest of us. The tourists have more rights than citizens. Itís not just him, itís a bunch of other vampires in the government too. All of them are talking about how tourists bring us money so we have to make sacrifices for them, and yes, they literally use the word ďsacrificeĒ. Whooooo I love sacrificing myself so that drunk brits can get drunk more conveniently to generate profit for mobsters who own bars in Mykonos and airlines! WE NEED MORE SACRIFICES FOR THE TOURISM GOD.

Iím dooooooneÖ
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: The Greek Minister of Development says "the tourist is our job"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 05:42:04 AM »
I thought Florida was bad about putting tourists ahead of the people who live here, but that is really so much worse!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 06:00:42 AM »
That SMS thing sounds bonkers.  Has anyone else done this?

I wonder how many other countries will be allowing travel to Greece anyway?   The UK will putting out a "green list" out in a week or so and Greece is said not to be on it.  We'll still be able to travel there, but will have to isolate on return.  Which basically means no British tourists anyway (which is a reasonable chunk of your trade) - I presume other countries will have similar guidance?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:19:20 AM »

I know Cyprus has but Cyprus is basically the same country, just a little bit worse.

I wonder how many other countries will be allowing travel to Greece anyway?   The UK will putting out a "green list" out in a week or so and Greece is said not to be on it.  We'll still be able to travel there, but will have to isolate on return.  Which basically means no British tourists anyway (which is a reasonable chunk of your trade) - I presume other countries will have similar guidance?

Yes, and yet they still keep acting like we're gonna have loads of British tourists. It's wild.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:28:53 AM »

I know Cyprus has but Cyprus is basically the same country, just a little bit worse.
And with more Russians.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Pezevenk

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:32:58 AM »
Oh BTW the fine for not sending an SMS or violating the SMS rules is 300 euros, which is about half the minimum monthly wage here, or about 25-30% of the average wage, so it's pretty huge. It also gives the cops a free pass to harass you for no reason which resulted in rampant police brutality. However a few videos released on the Internet sparked massive protests and after that point checks have really decreased because the police is afraid about something like that happening again, so that's something at least. But yeah lots of people got arbitrarily fined. I'm sure one component was the revenue from the fines.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:34:44 AM »

And with more Russians.
Cyprus is kind of a tax heaven for Russians as far as I know, but I don't think a lot of Russians live there. They do visit the country a lot though.

Idk Cyprus kinda sucks and Greece is partly at fault for that.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:48:50 AM »

And with more Russians.
Cyprus is kind of a tax heaven for Russians as far as I know, but I don't think a lot of Russians live there. They do visit the country a lot though.
I was there a couple of years ago for Christmas - meeting up with my brother and family who live in Ukraine.  There's lots of Russian and Ukrainian activity there.   Like you say, probably not living there permanently, but a lot of "luxury" apartments going up with Russian owners.  They will only live there part time, and use Cypriot banks/property to "pre-wash" their money before taking it to London.

Ukrainians get visa free travel there - which is a big deal - my brother knows a few with property there.   It's also great for getting an Cypriot passport, which  of course makes it a useful gateway into the rest of the EU.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »
Oh BTW the fine for not sending an SMS or violating the SMS rules is 300 euros, which is about half the minimum monthly wage here, or about 25-30% of the average wage, so it's pretty huge. It also gives the cops a free pass to harass you for no reason which resulted in rampant police brutality. However a few videos released on the Internet sparked massive protests and after that point checks have really decreased because the police is afraid about something like that happening again, so that's something at least. But yeah lots of people got arbitrarily fined. I'm sure one component was the revenue from the fines.
Basically, that sounds shit.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »
A text to have to leave the house?  Shit, if they tried that here we'd storm the fucking capitol!

Well, we probably would storm the capitol for a variety of reasons but that one in particular.

This is why I think overdoing it on restrictions and rules is a bad thing.  If they become too silly then people just stop following them.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Pezevenk

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »

And with more Russians.
I was there a couple of years ago for Christmas - meeting up with my brother and family who live in Ukraine.  There's lots of Russian and Ukrainian activity there.   Like you say, probably not living there permanently, but a lot of "luxury" apartments going up with Russian owners.  They will only live there part time, and use Cypriot banks/property to "pre-wash" their money before taking it to London.

Ukrainians get visa free travel there - which is a big deal - my brother knows a few with property there.   It's also great for getting an Cypriot passport, which  of course makes it a useful gateway into the rest of the EU.

I'm pretty sure Ukrainians can go anywhere in the EU without a visa, I think there's some sort of agreement.

But yeah the passport thing was big. They were granting "golden passports" to various investors from Russia, Arabia etc and there was a huge corruption scandal involving their dumbass prime minister recently. Look up Cyprus golden passports. Now their moronic government is weak so Erdogan is gonna try hard to push for North Cyprus separation.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 09:39:17 AM »
A text to have to leave the house?  Shit, if they tried that here we'd storm the fucking capitol!

Well, we probably would storm the capitol for a variety of reasons but that one in particular.

This is why I think overdoing it on restrictions and rules is a bad thing.  If they become too silly then people just stop following them.

Somewhat surprisingly there was lots of good will from people regarding restrictions. We never had the big covid denialist marches they had in Europe or the US. It's also why the first lockdown worked great and we went to 0 cases before they opened up the tourism. But then the handling of the pandemic just completely turned to shit, nonsense restrictions, impatiently opening up for a few days only to be set back weeks, etc. I remember back in autumn 2020 when the surge began due to tourism, but there was still some tourists left to milk and businesses left to profit so instead of doing the same thing we had already done and which worked, they decided to blame it on young people and started imposing some ridiculous restrictions such as "kiosks can't sell alcohol after dusk", because the narrative was that young people are spreading covid by drinking beer in parks late at night. Just complete baby brained nonsense. And then eventually there was a full lockdown but way too late and way too stupid.

We did eventually have massive protests and riots but they weren't covid denialists or anything, it was because of the police having turned into an occupation force because of how the government handled it.

Some moron representative was recently asked why the SMSs aren't going away since nobody pays any attention to them any more (case in point I'm out right now and I can't even be bothered to send the SMS, thankfully there's not a lot of cops here and they're afraid of a new wave of protests anyways) and he said "it's to educate the populace" as if anyone asked to be "educated". I can't believe this trash government still polls so high, though it's not that surprising if you consider they splashed down a bunch of money for free, no strings attached for newspapers and TV channels for... Covid? I'm not sure how it is supposed to follow that since there is a pandemic media have to be paid a bunch of money but every single national TV channel except for mayyyybe one or two (which aren't overtly critical but just somewhat more balanced, sometimes) and almost every major outlet in general rabidly supports them. They're all basically owned by the same 3 mobsters anyways.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
You’ll take our drunken tourists or we send in the gun boats.

This is how we do dialogue with the rest of Europe now apparently. 

The Daily Mail has been loving it, and it will surely bring out the morons to vote Tory today, because only they have the balls to show Jonny Foreigner what for!

Pezevenk

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »
Apparently the UK doesn't want to send us their drunken tourists because they don't want their drunken tourists to be come infected, which makes it even dumber.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »
I can't believe this trash government still polls so high,
Welcome to the club  :-\