Werepenguins 3: The Penguining

• 910 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Werepenguins 3: The Penguining
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Werepenguin Round 3

The ship comes in to dock, the passengers disembarking onto one of the Orkney Islands.
"I'll be back in a week," the captain says, waving over the side. "You peeps have fun doing... whatever you're doing."
And just like that, the ship leaves. The currents around the island are treacherous, but less so at this time of the day, and the captain is a practised sailor. Anyone else would likely have been dashed against the rocks.

But no, no time to think about that. The centre has already been set up, and a larger-than-life statue of Rowbotham greets you all. He stands in the middle of the temporary dwellings put up for you all, smiling benignly down on you.

Two of you nurse peck-wounds, victims to a zombie werepenguin that had managed to sneak aboard the boat. Perhaps they know the fate that is to befall them, perhaps they are oblivious, but when the sun sets and the moon rises they will have no doubt. The curse of the werepenguin is upon them. Under the cold, cruel light of the moon they will transform, and they will be filled by a vicious, unceasing hunger, a need to devour those minds that are aware of the truth.
One other saw the werepenguin on the boat; though they did not see who was bitten, they were able to repel it, to force back its corrupted flesh until, with a last honking cry, it fell into the ocean. They were exhausted afterwards. yes, but successful. With sufficient preparation they might have the strength to do it again, but only once a night. The exorcist, slayer of all things penguin, has awoken.

Most of you knew nothing of that. At least, not at first. You went forwards together to see the conference-
And were greeted by a grisly scene. There has been bloodshed here. You were not the first flat earthers to come, but you may be the last. Those that were here before lay on the floor, or slumped over the exhibits, or hanging from lamps and ceiling fans. And between their bodies are small birds, black and white and red all over.
The werepenguins had come here, and they had done battle with the populace. It had been fierce, it had been bloody, but these had been an enlightened people, wise to the ways of the penguin. It is over now, leaving you as the latecomers, the arrivals after the war, left only to clear up the bodies and feel a foreboding chill. You are alone.

The penguins cannot afford all out war, not again, but they are wily creatures. They have other ways to win.
The rest of you are left to wonder: was that all the penguins? Or are there more left alive?
Could there be werepenguins among you?

The Flat Earth Conference has begun!

The two penguins, oracle and village idiot, and exorcist have been PMed.

Attendees
Shifter
Boydster - Oracle. Devoured by a penguin defying the laws of geometry.
Space Cowgirl - Village Idiot. Died and became a marshmallow
Crouton - beaten to death with a fish
Roundy the Truthinessist - Penguin's dinner
DuckDodgers - Werepenguin Edward, slain by Rowbotham himself
Wise
Jura-Glenlivet II - killed with her own axe
Pezevenk - lynched by those he wanted to help
Deadsirius - Werepenguin Bruce, garroted by Wise and Shifter
Bullwinkle - A mousse
Son of Orospu - the Chosen One, beheaded to Rowbotham's annoyance
Colonel Gaydafi - was turned into a newt. She got better. Then died.

How Werepenguin Works
(shamelessly lifted from Boydster & Crouton & Lord Wilmore)

Okay, first off, anyone who doesn't understand the game or any part of it, feel free to send me a PM and I will clear it up for you. I know most of you haven't played this before, so here's a general outline:

There are 2 Penguins (chosen at random) and 11 Villagers (including one Exorcist, one oracle, one Chosen One, and one idiot, also chosen at random) in the game. The penguins will be identified as follows:

Edward Flipperhands
Bruce Forsice

The game is based on 'rounds': each round lasts 48 hours. This is made up of a 24 hour 'day' period (i.e. when it is daytime in the game) and a 24 hour night period (when it is nightime in the game). Why does a Werepenguin day last two days in real time? Well, we have lots of people from lots of countries and hence lots of timezones at FES, and I want to give everyone a fair chance to vote/talk/play, and a 48 hour round is the only way to do this.

Villagers

For the Villagers, the aim is to kill all the Werepenguins. At the outset of the game, the Villagers do not know who the Werepenguins are; it is up to them to figure it out.
The Villagers can vote to 'lynch' someone they suspect of being a Werepenguin during the day cycle of the game. To do so, they must secure a certain number of votes (the number is decided by yours truly). Of course, the Werepenguins can also vote as no-one knows who they are! People who have already died in the course of the game are not allowed to talk during the day, and hence cannot vote.
The Oracle is on the side of the Villagers; he/she gets one chance each night to make a guess and find out whether or not someone is a Werepenguin. They send me a PM, and I tell him/her whether or not that player is a Werepenguin. Like everyone else in the game, they can vote in the lynch.
The Idiot believes firmly that they are the psychic. However, when they PM me, the information I send back will be randomly generated.
There is also an Exorcist among you. The Exorcist may choose one player to keep safe each night. During the night, if the player they are protecting is attacked, they will perform a ceremony that will drive the Werepenguin-demon away - thus, saving the Villager.
The Chosen One's powers will only be discovered should they be lynched or targetted by a penguin. Then, there is a 50% chance of them surviving each time.

Werepenguins

For the Werepenguins, they need to kill all of the Villagers.
Unlike the Villagers, each Werepenguin knows who all the other Werepenguins are. Every night, a designated Werepenguin can send me a PM telling me who they want to kill, and then that person will be killed. The Penguins take it in turns: Edward the first night, Bruce the second. On the third night, it is Edward' turn again. If a Werepenguin dies, the Werepenguins do not lose a turn; instead the turns alternate between the remaining Werepenguins. The following morning, I will reveal who was killed, and how.

Game Rules

1. The first rule of Werepenguin is that you do not break the game.

2. The second rule of Werepenguin is THAT YOU DO NOT BREAK THE GAME. A not uncommon event in WW games is that having been betrayed by his/her fellow Penguins, a dead Penguin reveals their identities. This is a dickish thing to do. Seriously, Penguins are bastards, and they will do anything to save their own hides. Remember, even if you die as a Penguin, if the Penguins eventually win, you also win.
Long story short: Penguins turn on Penguins. Deal with it.

3. Don't edit your posts! Just make another one. This is no big deal, but if you edit your post, you lose your vote that round, so it's in your interest not to do so.

4. Make it clear who you are voting to lynch. I want to see the words ['vote to lynch *insert name here*'] to count a post as a vote. You can say '[I vote to lynch]' or just '[vote to lynch]', but I want to see the words '[VOTE TO LYNCH (name)]' in that order. Don't say 'vote billy' or 'lynch John', because in a certain context these could look like suggestions rather than votes. If it's unclear, I just won't count it. It isn't that hard to put three words in front of someone's name in the correct order.

4a.  Brackets, that's the ticket.  example, [vote to lynch so and so]

5. Don't post during the day-cycle of the game if you have been killed. Dead players can only talk at night. Just to be clear, lynches happen during the day and Werepenguins/Oracle/Idiot/Exorcist PM at night. Check my last update; if a lynch is on, it's daytime. If I've asked the Penguins/Oracle/Idiot/Exorcist to PM, it's night.

6. The Oracles and Exorcist cannot tell people they are Oracles or the Exorcist (at least not within this topic). Obviously, I cannot control what you do elsewhere (PM, IM, IRC etc.), but beware; especially with the Oracle, not all may be as it seems...

7. As per the title, if you're not playing, you're not playing. You can't join late due to the mechanics of the game, and I don't want you posting if you're not involved. I'll just delete any posts you make. If anyone gets trollish though, I will hand out suspensions.

8. New rule: As discussed before, you can PM among yourselves, but if you do so you must post in this thread 'I have PMed so-and so,' or for a more roleplay bent, 'I try to engage in surreptitious discussion with whoever.' Something along those lines. Say who you have PMed when you do so, so long as that's clear you can say whatever you want. The werepenguins do not have to do this when PMing one another, their dark magic grants them telepathy. However they can still PM conventionally and post a message if they wish to throw others off the scent.

Most of all, have fun, and POST. It's way more fun if you get involved, instead of just showing up and voting every now and again. Plus, inactivity can really kill a game based on votes, so try and stay active if you can.

The day begins...

Day One
Boydster votes to lynch Shifter
Pezevenk cancels Boydster's vote
Wise votes to lynch Pezevenk
Crouton cancels Wise's vote for Pezevenk
Deadsirius votes to lynch Son of Orospu
Space Cowgirl cancels Deadsirius's vote
Bullwinkle votes to lynch Boydster
Son of Orospu votes to cancel Bullwinkle's vote

No one is lynched.
Crouton is beaten to death with a fish.

Day Two
Wise votes to lynch Pezevenk
Pezevenk votes to cancel Wise's vote
Boydster votes to lynch Pezevenk
Bullwinkle votes to lynch Pezevenk
Jura Glenlivet III votes to cancel Boydster's vote
Space Cowgirl votes to lynch Pezevenk

Pezevenk would have been lynched if he hadn't choked to death on marshmallows first.
Boydster is eaten by a one-penguin army.

Day Three
DuckDodgers votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Space Cowgirl votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Jura Glenlivet II votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Wise votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Shifter votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Deadsirius votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Son of Orospu votes to lynch DuckDodgers

Space Cowgirl is shot into space.
Roundy is eaten and drowned simultaneously

Day four
Wise votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Shifter votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Son of Orospu votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Colonel Gaydafi votes to lynch DuckDodgers

Duckdodgers, Werepenguin Edward, is crushed by a statue
Son of Orospu, the Chosen One, is killed in retaliation.

Day Five
Wise votes to lynch deadsirius
deadsirius votes to lynch Colonel Gaydafi
Shifter votes to lynch Colonel Gaydafi
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch Colonel Gaydafi
Bullwinkle votes to lynch Colonel Gaydafi

Colonel Gaydafi, an innocent, is dead.
Bullwinkle, an innocent moose, was blended.

Day Six

Jura-Glenlivet II votes to cancel Shifter's vote
Wise votes to cancel deadsirius's vote

No one is lynched.
Jura-Glenlivet II fought a battle of axe vs beak.

Day Seven
Wise votes to lynch deadsirius
Deadsirius votes to lynch Wise
Shifter votes to lynch deadsirius

deadsirius, werepenguin Bruce, dies, and with him the werepenguin threat.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:12:08 PM by Jane »
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Werepenguins 3: The Penguining
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
This place makes me very uneasy. The skies, grey. The spelling, British.

I must confer with my associates.

[pm boydster and Bullwinkle]
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
Somewhat unrelated: I want to be the narrator of round 4. There IS a chance however that I will be on vacation. I will notify you if that is the case.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
Is it too early to lynch Shifter?

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
It's never too early to lynch Shifter.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

Deja-vu was an ugly word, Jura mused, French, She'd used it in hearing range of “Whoreson” (jroa WTF)and received scornful looks, more than one syllable I suppose. Jura chuckled, looked over to Whoreson and nodded, the grizzled veteran's thousand-yard stare gave away nothing and he looked away without acknowledgement, Jura smiled to herself, careful old man he thought, you forgot to scowl, people will think we are lovers.

No, Deja-vu was ugly because since Perth, Jura had been expecting it like a second heart attack, the consultancy cash from NASA had been easy money until then, keep an eye on certain people, add the odd meme, done.
The real black ops stuff had ceased years back when she had taken an arrow to the knee in the Catholic/Windsor turf-war over the Falklands.
Deja-vu, lying in the medical facility on South Georgia Island, listening to the penguins being herded below ground, sneaking down into the laboratories in the night, seeing the pitiful state of the King penguins, but transfixed by the red glower of the single imported Emperor, revenge and hate emanating in palpable waves and that mounting feeling that perhaps the people that paid your wages, weren't necessarily the good guys. What on earth had they done to those birds?

Now this place, expedient they said, they trust you, and Inti' is coming, get the intel' and leave.
But that wasn't possible now, com's down, reserve boat holed, weapons cache just not where it should be.

Deja vu, the Perseid meteor shower was growing to peak on the 13th, the link between NASA magic and the heavens, known to Jura, this looked like a set-up, a tidying of loose ends, that pulsing hatred was now here on this small Scottish rock, and Jura had no intention of being a tied up loose end.

Jura felt someone looking at her, leaning back she casually took in the room, Whoreson's gaze shifted from Jura's to the corner near the fire place, two hand axes rested against the wall near the wood basket, so the old guy felt it too, just as much a warning as possible support, should he suspect Jura, he would without doubt turn those axes to bloody use.

Either way Jura's life depended on/was tied up with the survival of this group whatever her former ties were, déjà vu indeed.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
The first day is the WORST.  There's not even a bonfire for s'mores.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
The first day is the WORST.  There's not even a bonfire for s'mores.
I put in a backstory involving lots more corpses just for you, s'more away!
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
I think we should build a pizza oven instead.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
Maybe we can roast weenies or something instead of s'mores? Gotta change it up with the new rounds.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
I think we should build a pizza oven instead.

This!

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »
Anyway, I plan to put all of you on a list and pick at random today. No hard feelings if your number comes up.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
Okay, everyone...raise your hand if you've got any mysterious peck wounds.

Anyone?  Come on, it could be life-threatening, best to get some medical attention.  Just a tourniquet around the neck--I mean, affected area.

Ah well, worth a try.

Might as well drop my luggage in my bungalow and glower at you guys suspiciously while picking my teeth with a Bowie knife...
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
If we start lynching at random were are basically working for the penguins.
One Villager dies every day, why make it two?

The game is winnable if played rationally.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
Well we've got an oracle and an idiot.  We might want to give them one night to do their thing before we start the murder fest.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
If half of us hide in the attic and the other half in the basement we are doomed.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »

Shit, he last two times we killed an important asset from the get go, we have more time and she felt more powers this round, stuff we do not want to lose, it would be folly to randomly kill at this juncture, but Jura could feel the fear and knew where it was headed.

“I do not think we have anywhere near enough information to make any rash decisions, we should wait”

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »
So good to have my feet on solid earth again.  I stand, jaw halfway to the floor in awe in being in the presence of the enormous statue of Rowbotham. I'm not sure how long I was standing there but the spotlight of the sun is no longer where it was when I arrived. There is a lot of commotion up ahead. I go to the conference but before I arrive there is already the overwhelming stench of death. What happened?

I am surrounded by so much greatness I have to try and not be so awkward even among a scene so full of death. And penguins. I see a bloodied penguin head ontop an exhibit. Its eyes still a piercing gaze no dissimilar to what it would have been it was alive and in a bezerker rage. I grab a bag and start collecting the gore to dispose of. Afterall, this is a flat earth conference and we have flat earth things to talk about!

After filling one bag with penguin bits to dispose of and another with the remains of our fallen to provide a decent burial I get a tap on the shoulder by a very large and stoic looking man with antlers.

"Ahem", he clears his throat. "We have an oven for that. We are having pizza"

"Whaaa..." Obviously arguing with a man twice my size would be foolish. Besides, I am here to impress and these people are obviously much more enlightened than me. I am sure they know what they are doing.

"Okay, here you go! Glad I could be of some use". I do like these people afterall. I am privileged just to be in their company

I go back to the great statue of Rowbotham and gaze up into the aether.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »
Let's wait for someone to request an anchovy pizza.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
Maybe we can roast weenies or something instead of s'mores? Gotta change it up with the new rounds.

And whatever the fuck a "weenie" is, I sure as shit are not eating it, we are in Scotland if you want to eat crap they deep fry Mars-bars in batter and have Hagis, me I'll have a pizza.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »

No anchovies, black olives and chillis, please.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »

I think we have to lynch on day one. Here's why. The ratio of penguins to villagers grows over time, meaning the penguins have greater influence over the vote later in the game. Yes, it's random, but history seems to hint it's mostly low-info voting anyway and it's worse-than-random when the penguins can work together to sway the vote.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
I agree with Boydster, we need to start murdering Innocents immediately to give us the best chance of victory.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
I mean, potential innocents, of course.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
Looking around, something about this group feels... familiar. Have we met before? Best not to worry about it. This conference seems to already be in trouble. I wonder: what about getting that pizza oven going? That seems like a good idea. Anyone who passes on eating the pizza must surely be hungry for human flesh instead.

I put on fake Groucho Marx glasses with the funny nose, mustache, and eyebrows for no particular reason.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »

I think we have to lynch on day one. Here's why. The ratio of penguins to villagers grows over time, meaning the penguins have greater influence over the vote later in the game. Yes, it's random, but history seems to hint it's mostly low-info voting anyway and it's worse-than-random when the penguins can work together to sway the vote.

I hear ramblings of lynching people. But why? All these people were dead before we arrived. We are here for a flat earth conference! Lets talk about the flat earth! I have just cleaned an exhibit depicting our domed Earth and wiped the blood off the speakers that we may all enjoy the sound of  Rowbotham as he narrates the stunning diorama. We have a library with more than enough copies of 'Earth, not a globe' for all

Lets put aside any animosity we have. It was a shocking scene but it is clean now. When the skipper gets back we can alert the authorities but lets enjoy this conference!

I'll be reading this in the meantime

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »

The ratio gets worse if we do as usual and add to death toll of innocents ourselves

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »

And whatever the fuck a "weenie" is, I sure as shit are not eating it, we are in Scotland if you want to eat crap they deep fry Mars-bars in batter and have Hagis, me I'll have a pizza.

Haggis pizza it is then.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
[I whispered back to Crouton. Bullwinkle is within earshot. But why did he whisper to us to begin with?]

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »

The ratio gets worse if we do as usual and add to death toll of innocents ourselves

Right now 2 votes are potentially made to steer us in a particular direction, out of (how many... 12? 13? I'm not looking at the list). Assuming we don't get a penguin, those same 2 votes are more influential tomorrow, and more so the day after, etc. We are crippling ourselves by not at least taking a shot, boydster explains to he who speaks mysteriously and wants to not lynch anyone.

Remember when the villagers lost? I do. I led the charge on not lynching. Remember when the villagers won? They were roasting marshmallows over bodies from the onset.