Emergency landing proves flat earth?

• 7 Replies
Emergency landing proves flat earth?
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
A famously used emergency landing, in 2015, had a flight going from Taiwan to Los Angeles make an emergency stop at Alaska because a pregnant woman went into labor. This is used as a "proof" of a flat earth because the distance from Taiwan to Alaska looks like the same distance from Taiwan to Los Angeles. So, when FEers put this flight on a flat earth it appears to be logically correct, however, the major mistake every flat-earther does is use the wrong kind of maps.

If you took any geography class, you would know that all maps are technically incorrect. The main reason is that maps are trying to represent a 3D object on a 2D plane, which causes distortions and misrepresentations of shape, distances and relative sizes of places on maps. Of course, if you use a flat map of the earth, flights like these appear to be irrational and illogical. However, when you view the flight on a 3D representation, you can easily see why the landing was in Alaska.

However, besides this example, there are so many other flights that flat-earthers ignore because they completely disprove the flat earth.
Can any flat-earther provide an actual example of a flight path, emergency landing or fuel stop that actually disproves the globe and proves the flat earth?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:57:29 PM by ThatsInteresting »
If the answer is so clear and simple, I don't see why it takes all of this back and forth nonsense. Just give an answer with valid proof behind it.

Re: Emergency landing proves flat earth?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:08:53 AM »
Also that top image has the flight going from Bali (incorrect), rather than Taiwan.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:45:31 AM »
Also that top image has the flight going from Bali (incorrect), rather than Taiwan.

If the answer is so clear and simple, I don't see why it takes all of this back and forth nonsense. Just give an answer with valid proof behind it.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »
For flights in the NH the Great Circle route is similar to the straight line on the FE map. It is for flights in the SH that it starts to look strange.
A flight from Santiago to Sydney might well divert to New Zealand, for example, if an event happens beyond the critical point. But that doesn't make sense on the FE map.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
As the most renowned RET poster on this site I must admit I have yet to be shown a flight path or emergency landing that proves FET.

The simple reason is because there are none. Mainly because the Earth is a globe.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
Hmm, no actual responses yet?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:39:06 PM by ThatsInteresting »

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »
Hmm, no actual responses yet?

What are you hoping for? This story was in fashion a couple of years ago; easily and widely debunked back then; and no longer used by flat earthers, other than the most basic, uneducated newbies.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »
What are you hoping for? This story was in fashion a couple of years ago; easily and widely debunked back then; and no longer used by flat earthers, other than the most basic, uneducated newbies.

Just wanna bring attention to the fact that flights paths wouldn't work on the flat earth but would work perfectly on a globe earth.