Star Trek: Picard

• 102 Replies

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Re: Star Trek: Picard
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »
DS9 and Voyager also really developed the Star Trek universe, prexisting characters, added tons of new ones. Also tons of new races, cultures and technologies.

Resorting to killing off well established, known characters for some quick tears is lazy writing and shows a lack of creativity.
):

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:53 AM »
I'm hoping that if there's another season of Picard they will consider the first season as sort of an introduction and explanation for what's been going on with Picard all these years. Then they can get on with the adventure.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
The female empowerment in Picard lol

Awesome channel by the way
A Future Is Not Given To You. It Is Something You Must Take For Yourself

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »

Q!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
SPOILERS DETECTED ON THE LONG-RANGE SENSORS!

I can't forgive them for killing off Data because he (both the actor and the character) was bored or whatever.  That just sucked.  "Hey I think I wanna try dying. Ok."

I love Patrick Stewart but why couldn't he have picked a new IP to emote drama and tragedy all over.  Nobody watched TNG for that.  Nobody wanted to see a grumpy, bitter Picard.  I just hated the entire thing.  Such a waste. 

I don't want to see grimdark Trek.  Getting enough of that with Discovery.

Why can't I have something optimistic about the future to watch? 

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »

You can :) It's called 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'  8)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »

If you can't watch the teaser a couple posts up because it's US only (I think) this one should work.

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2021, 04:42:21 AM »
What.

Self-serious speech, ominous line, and an evil laugh right out of Palpatine's return
To introduce Q?!

I don't think it is physically possible to miss the point of a character more. I was mixed on the first season (enjoyed it when watching, but the pointlessness of Hugh's death soured me on a lot in retrospect because it renderered the whole borg cube arc meaningless) but that just killed my interest completely. I really hope they release a better trailer at some point that shows that's just a poor decision on the part of a trailer maker.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2021, 05:25:15 AM »
Not even Q with all his powers is going to be able to rescue this shite of a series.

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:33 AM »
Not even Q with all his powers is going to be able to rescue this shite of a series.

Q should have actually been a good idea. One of the problems with the first season was a general lack of focus - was it about the Federation becoming insular? Was it about the Romulan Lannisters? Was it about Data's children? Was it about the Borg?
And the end result was "We want it to be about the synths and we're going to screw over every other plot line for this result." A cast was introduced and wasted because the show was only willing to focus on Soji, which would have been at least bearable if they'd planned to do anything with her. Instead she spun her wheels for most of the season in the Borg Cube which was unceremoniously wiped out rendering all that time pointless, and then got monologued at by Picard.
(Which honestly has a lot in common with the thought process behind Discovery, so it may just be what to expect from Kurtzman).

Q means the show can directly follow on from TNG, give Patrick Stewart the opportunity for speeches, and give a real examination of the Federation and its strengths and flaws, put humanity on trial in a much more detailed fashion than TNG dared and make Picard falter. Q fits the changed world narrative much more than the androids ever did, fits TNG, and fits Stewart's and Trek's strengths (and it doesn't mean beginning the series with 'and then the Federation committed genocide upon what a recurring thread in TNG stated was a sentient species, and everyone just got on with their lives with minimal complaint.')
But all that's assuming competent writers.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2021, 06:38:03 AM »

You can :) It's called 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'  8)

It's also called The Orville. Which sadly looks like it's not going to make it past the next season, if that even gets finished.

Shifter

• Blind to the truth
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2021, 02:25:00 PM »
I have not seen more than a few episodes of The Orville. A shame as I really liked it

The quality is too poor. DVD in this day and age? No blu ray? To hell with the streaming service dictating the rules behind the physical media release

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »

Maybe Q will bring some fun into the Trek universe again. I used to wish ST was more serious, but now I realize that having a show that is hopeful about the future, and isn't afraid to have a goofy episode now and then is probably a good thing.