Why are Hollywood movies so crap?

• 11 Replies

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:04:59 AM »
Been watching a few South Korean movies and dramas lately. And I have to say, in basically any genre, they crap all over Hollywood movies. Perhaps because Hollywood movies are so predictable. And lately Hollywood seem to be going after 'safe' scripts, rebooting movies no one asked for. Adding sequels no one wanted and are trying to get on the whole 'woke' bandwagon

With South Korean movies, you never know if your hero will make it to the end of the movie. The characters are much less hollow, the plot if far more unpredictable as they dont play it safe. They also dont have any 'woke' fans to appease. When you think the movie is ending, there is still more to tie up the loose ends and conclude the story (it may not have a happy ending unlike Hollywood) whereas American movies just kind of 'end'.

America has tried to copy South Korean movies in the past but they just utterly fail at it. For example 'Oldboy'. America copied to abysmal failure in 2013 with Josh Brolin. Dumb. Even if you didn't know it was copied

Now America wants to copy 'Train to Busan'. I mean, WTF is wrong with the Korean original? Do Americans really hate reading subtitles in films? I cant believe English dubbing is actually a thing as in 100% of cases in never does the actors or movies justice. Subtitles are seamless to read and view the movie but interesting to see that some people absolutely detest them. Who has seen Train to Busan?

Revenge films is something Korea does really well. John Wick is an American example of the genre at its finest

If you like John Wick, see revenge movies like Oldboy, A Bittersweet Life, Man from Nowhere, I saw the Devil, The Villainess
If you like Zombie movies, see Train to Busan
If you like action movies the list is endless, but the most recent one I watched was Steel Rain and that rates pretty good
They do a lot of good thriller and horror movies too and they know how to execute a successful twist in a movie. The only genre in which I think they are lacking a bit is Science Fiction.

Ma Dong-seok is like the Korean 'Rock', and he's also going to star in the Marvel movie 'The Eternals'. Cant wait  8)

Here is a clip from near the beginning of Steel Rain

And 'Eontalk' on YouTube is great at ranking and discussing all the best movies

Say NO! to Hollywood crap  :P
Say YES to Korean movies!  8)

Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

Werenasa XXII - Register here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=86459.0

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Why are Hollywood movies so crap?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 03:48:21 AM »
Also if you like horror movies watch the Wailing.

And anything by Bong Joon Ho.

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:56:29 AM »
Also if you like horror movies watch the Wailing.

And anything by Bong Joon Ho.

I literally just bought The Wailing this morning hehe. (have not seen it). Cost a mint being a collectors edition with all the fancy slip case packaging and other memorabilia included with a steelbook

I also have (but not watched yet) 'The Witch: Subversion Part 1'. Supposed to be really good

SnowPiercer, another gem by Bong Joon Ho is another favourite of mine and it stars Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Ed Harris etc

I'm going to buy 'The Host' soon and I have the 4K of Parasite on the way

Werenasa XXII - Register here https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=86459.0

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »
SnowPiercer was so weird I watched it about 4 times. It's one of those movies that you don't see everything in just one viewing. I wonder if the series will be as good.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
I am one of the outcasts that didn't like Snowpiercer.  Maybe I'd like it more if I watched it again.  I kept thinking, if they just changed the premise of this movie to the train has to keep moving to stay in the sunlight it would have made a lot more sense.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 11:53:38 AM »
I think that it didn't make sense is part of the reason I liked it.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 04:02:37 AM »
I think that it didn't make sense is part of the reason I liked it.

I found this page explains it ok
https://blog.acton.org/archives/70893-understand-snowpiercer.html

I've seen it twice and will no doubt watch it again sometime. I have not watched the series though. I read a synopsis briefly and was not intrigued. Maybe if I get bored enough I'll give a few episodes a chance

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
90% of everything is crap. -- Sturgeon's law

Corollaries:
No one can agree as to which 10% isn't crap.

There's no guarantee that 10% isn't crap too.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
90% of everything is crap. -- Sturgeon's law

Corollaries:
No one can agree as to which 10% isn't crap.

There's no guarantee that 10% isn't crap too.

That is by far my favorite law.

Bullwinkle

• Flat Earth Curator
  • Thread Janitor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »

Because people pay to watch them.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
SnowPiercer, another gem by Bong Joon Ho is another favourite of mine and it stars Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Ed Harris etc
Not exactly a Korean film though, is it?  Based on a French book, filmed in Europe and staring American and English actors.  It's pretty much an international movie.

Might try that Steel Rain and Train to Busan on your tips.  Been meaning to check out more Korean stuff.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Jamie

• Number Archivist.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
Hollywood movies suck mostly 'cause they have to pander to the widest audience possible to maximize their revenue.
There is a preverb in Turkish:  "Do not think everybody have beard is your grandfather".