A question for FEers.

• 22 Replies
A question for FEers.
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:50:05 PM »
If the earth is flat, how come acceleration due to gravity is different at different elevations? If the earth cis hurtling through space, and gravity due to this movement, would not gravity be the same all across earth regardless of where you were?
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

A question for FEers.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:54:37 PM »
it is....where is the gravity different?
he kinds of equations that they have now are the kinds of equations you would get in an approximation scheme to some underlying theory, but nobody knows what the underlying theory is.

discover magazine

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
A question for FEers.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
Can you give me an experiment by which I can personally demonstrate that gravity does indeed differ with altitude?
the cake is a lie

?

FE

A question for FEers.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
Can you give me an experiment by which I can personally demonstrate that gravity does indeed differ with altitude?

Jump off a cliff.

:wink:

?

rofl

A question for FEers.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:46:32 AM »
Indeed do that. Die for science.
fft who needs evidence when you can just say it's a conspiracy.
/Sigh
Wise words of
-Jake

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
A question for FEers.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:36:05 AM »

Here's one:

Standard AC current is 60 Hz (in America, 50 in Europe, I think), do you agree?  Take two strands of music wire at least 6 feet long, tighten them vertically an inch apart, connect one to hot and one to neutral.  Place wax paper against one, then drop a metallic object between the paper and the other wire.  the wax paper will burn very 60th of a second exactly where the metal breaks the dielectric.  Measure the distance between each successive burn mark.  Plot the points in Excel and curve-fit the line.  The 2nd-order coefficient is your acceleration due to gravity.

Do that a dozen times at two different altitudes (preferably sea level and Denver).  Tell us your results.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
A question for FEers.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 04:40:17 AM »
Quote from: "EvilToothpaste"

Here's one:

Standard AC current is 60 Hz (in America, 50 in Europe, I think), do you agree?  Take two strands of music wire at least 6 feet long, tighten them vertically an inch apart, connect one to hot and one to neutral.  Place wax paper against one, then drop a metallic object between the paper and the other wire.  the wax paper will burn very 60th of a second exactly where the metal breaks the dielectric.  Measure the distance between each successive burn mark.  Plot the points in Excel and curve-fit the line.  The 2nd-order coefficient is your acceleration due to gravity.

Do that a dozen times at two different altitudes (preferably sea level and Denver).  Tell us your results.

Dysphunction, Didn't you take high school physics?

Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Re: A question for FEers.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 12:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "astronomy101"
If the earth is flat, how come acceleration due to gravity is different at different elevations? If the earth cis hurtling through space, and gravity due to this movement, would not gravity be the same all across earth regardless of where you were?

No, the gravity changes because the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars all have some gravity pulling us up as we go higher up.

Itís in the FAQ.

?

FE

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
Quote from: "zaudragon"

No, the gravity changes because the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars all have some gravity pulling us up as we go higher up.

Itís in the FAQ.

Spotlights have gravity?

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
Quote from: "FE"

Itís in the FAQ.

Spotlights have gravity?

:lol:

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:08:31 PM »

Itís in the FAQ.

But by that logic, gravity would change depending upon the time of day. Are you telling me that gravity during the day is different than at night?

A question for FEers.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
Well, I imagine the sun could pull us up or what not, but wouldn't gravity only become less then and not more?

:?:

A question for FEers.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

A question for FEers.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
Well, I imagine the sun could pull us up or what not, but wouldn't gravity only become less then and not more?

:?:

Why it becomes more:
There is stuff underneath the Earth. That makes perfect sense (if you can see down off the ice wall, according to some pictures, it makes sense). These also have mass and therefore a gravitational pull. Sometimes the two sides have equal pull, or are unequal.

Iím sorry I said the Sun had a gravitational pull: that was a mistake in my typing. Too many hours on this forum :(

Spotlights have a gravitational pull because they exist and have mass. The FE doesnít because it isnít like other things.

A question for FEers.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 05:09:02 AM »
so is there not experiments done in which it is proven that at certain times of day, the gravity at these points is the same but at other times of the day it is different?
You could always get the gravity measuring machine from some big high tech university like on the Mythbusters, and use it. They are accurate to like a ten billionth place.

A question for FEers.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
so is there not experiments done in which it is proven that at certain times of day, the gravity at these points is the same but at other times of the day it is different?

No. It just so happens that the stars rotate too, and the overall sum of gravity pulling up is always the same no matter what time it is.

Itís pure coincidence!

A question for FEers.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
I still see no conclusive evidence on this subject. If you take samples of gravities force at the same place at different times, is it not the same? The stars (wow what a dumb arguement) have no effect on earth's gravity. They are all millions of light years away.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
A question for FEers.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 06:18:40 PM »
Quote from: "zaudragon's signature"
FE is a Kritik. I like debating in favour of it. This does not mean that I am a believer.

That means you are tossing out basic principles and laws of physics, replacing your own, to justify something completely different than what you believe. Which goes on further to prove that the theory is nothing but hokey idea's with, again, no factual findings to support it.

Where haven't I seen that happen before...? :roll:

A question for FEers.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »
Quote from: "Hara Taiki"
Quote from: "zaudragon's signature"
FE is a Kritik. I like debating in favour of it. This does not mean that I am a believer.

That means you are tossing out basic principles and laws of physics, replacing your own, to justify something completely different than what you believe. Which goes on further to prove that the theory is nothing but hokey idea's with, again, no factual findings to support it.

Where haven't I seen that happen before...? :roll:

I am not tossing out basic principles and laws of physics; which ones am I? What am I replacing? I am not justifying something completely different from what I believe; for all I know, Round Earth could be false (I have yet to see any real evidence on these forums). Also, itís irrelevant whether I believe or not.

There is plenty of evidence! Does the Earth look spherical to you?

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
A question for FEers.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
I have yet to see any real evidence on these forums

Evidence doesn't have to be bound to here.

A question for FEers.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:16 AM »
Nope, sorry FE'ers, you lose. The sun and moon can't cause any gravity, as gravity doesn't exist in the FE model. :o
Proof that the FE model is bogus (read through the thread, or skip to page five for the math):
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7929&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
A question for FEers.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »
There is plenty of evidence! Does the Earth look spherical to you?

That's only one observation, not plenty.

And really it does look spherical because there is a horizon on the ocean.  If the Earth were flat there would be no horizon "line".  See this thread for the discussion of proof:
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7835