Werepenguins - The Perth Massacre

• 685 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Werepenguins - The Perth Massacre
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
To Perth!

After the slaughter at Ben Lawers, the werepenguins knew they must press ever onwards. Their appetite for human flesh had been piqued, and with not a single soul left living in town, they set their sights Eastward. On the horizon, they could see the faint glow of a larger town. Yes. That's where they would go next. No one would even suspect them, as they had left no witnesses alive.

They headed to Loch Tay, careening through the waters to the river. As they began to notice signs of civilization, the werepenguins abandoned the water and fled into the hills of the Kinnoull Hill Woodland Park. There, perched in the cliffside tower, looking down upon the town of Perth, they planned their attack. And the sun began to rise.

---

The Greyfriar's Bar had been the scene of a rather incredible night of drinking and partying. Some thought it was because of the Blood Moon that was to rise the following day. Others blamed the tourists, who seemed to have shown up in droves that evening. Whatever the reason, the music was loud, the beer flowed like water, strangers became the best of friends, and as the night wound down, many found themselves passed out on the banks of the River Tay unable to stumble their way back to their beds.

It's dawn. The sun rises, and 12 very hungover and very tired individuals struggle to find their feet. What happened last night? Where are we? IS THAT A RIVER I'M SLEEPING NEXT TO? Slowly, they all realize they blacked out after a night of most excellent partying. They don't recognize each other, but then again, why would they? It had been dark in the bar, and they were quite drunk. As they look around though, something seems... off.

There's a pool of blood in the grass alongside the river. It trails off toward the water. There is... IS THAT A FOOT? Holy shit, there's a human foot, still in a shoe, gnawed off just above the ankle sitting at the edge of the water. Further down, a finger with a wedding band still on it. Next to that finger, the very tip of what was unmistakeably a werepenguin flipper. There had been rumors about the werepenguins before, but no one in Perth had seen one yet. In fact, it had become something of a local myth. But this. This was no myth.

---

Of the 12 people now standing together, 2 knew they had infiltrated the human circle of trust and they must work together to destroy them. The game is afoot!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:37:24 PM by boydster »

boydster

• Planar Moderator
Re: Werepenguins - The Perth Massacre
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
How Werepenguin Works
(shamelessly lifted from Crouton & Lord Wilmore)

Okay, first off, anyone who doesn't understand the game or any part of it, feel free to send me a PM and I will clear it up for you. I know most of you haven't played this before, so here's a general outline:

There are 2 Penguins (chosen at random) and 10 Villagers (including one Exorcist and one psychic, also chosen at random) in the game. The penguins will be identified as follows:

Pebbles McWaddlebottom
Fishcakes von Peckington

The game is based on 'rounds': each round lasts 48 hours. This is made up of a 24 hour 'day' period (i.e. when it is daytime in the game) and a 24 hour night period (when it is nightime in the game). Why does a Werepenguin day last two days in real time? Well, we have lots of people from lots of countries and hence lots of timezones at FES, and I want to give everyone a fair chance to vote/talk/play, and a 48 hour round is the only way to do this.

Villagers

For the Villagers, the aim is to kill all the Werepenguins. At the outset of the game, the Villagers do not know who the Werepenguins are; it is up to them to figure it out.

The Villagers can vote to 'lynch' someone they suspect of being a Werepenguin during the day cycle of the game. To do so, they must secure a certain number of votes (the number is decided by yours truly). Of course, the Werepenguins can also vote as no-one knows who they are! People who have already died in the course of the game are not allowed to talk during the day, and hence cannot vote.

The village oracle, known locally as TruthTerra is on the side of the Villagers; he/she gets one chance each night to make a guess and find out whether or not someone is a Werepenguin. TruthTerra sends me a PM, and I tell him/her whether or not that player is a Werepenguin. Like everyone else in the game, TruthTerra can vote in the lynch.

There is also an Exorcist among you. The Exorcist may choose one player to keep safe each night. During the night, if the player he is protecting is attacked, he will perform a ceremony that has a 50% chance of chasing the Werepenguin-demon away - thus, saving the Villager.

Werepenguins

For the Werepenguins, they need to kill all of the Villagers.

Unlike the Villagers, each Werepenguin knows who all the other Werepenguins are. Every night, a designated Werepenguin can send me a PM telling me who they want to kill, and then that person will be killed. The Penguins take it in turns: Pebbles the first night, Fishcakes the second. On the third night, it is Pebbles' turn again. If a Werepenguin dies, the Werepenguins do not lose a turn; instead the turns alternate between the remaining Werepenguins. The following morning, I will reveal who was killed, and how.

Game Rules

1. The first rule of Werepenguin is that you do not break the game.

2. The second rule of Werepenguin is THAT YOU DO NOT BREAK THE GAME. A not uncommon event in WW games is that having been betrayed by his/her fellow Penguins, a dead Penguin reveals their identities. This is a dickish thing to do. Seriously, Penguins are bastards, and they will do anything to save their own hides. If they think you're as good as dead, they will betray you and join the other villagers in voting to have you lynched, just to avoid suspicion. This is completely normal, so please don't be a whiny bitch about it. Remember, even if you die as a Penguin, if the Penguins eventually win, you also win.

Long story short: Penguins turn on Penguins. Deal with it. If you ruin the game for everybody, I will probably ban you for a month or something. It's very annoying.

3. Don't edit your posts! Just make another one. This is no big deal, but if you edit your post, you lose your vote that round, so it's in your interest not to do so.

4. Make it clear who you are voting to lynch. I want to see the words ['vote to lynch *insert name here*'] to count a post as a vote. You can say '[I vote to lynch]' or just '[vote to lynch]', but I want to see the words '[VOTE TO LYNCH (name)]' in that order. Don't say 'vote billy' or 'lynch John', because in a certain context these could look like suggestions rather than votes. If it's unclear, I just won't count it. It isn't that hard to put three words in front of someone's name in the correct order.

4a.  Brackets, that's the ticket.  example, [vote to lynch so and so]

5. Don't post during the day-cycle of the game if you have been killed. Dead players can only talk at night. Just to be clear, lynches happen during the day and Werepenguins/TruthTerra/Exorcist PM at night. Check my last update; if a lynch is on, it's daytime. If I've asked the Penguins/TruthTerra/Exorcist to PM, it's night.

6. TruthTerra and the Exorcist cannot tell people they are TruthTerra or the Exorcist (at least not within this topic). Obviously, I cannot control what you do elsewhere (PM, IM, IRC etc.), but beware; especially with TruthTerra, not all may be as it seems...

7. As per the title, if you're not playing, you're not playing. You can't join late due to the mechanics of the game, and I don't want you posting if you're not involved. I'll just delete any posts you make. If anyone gets trollish though, I will hand out suspensions.

Most of all, have fun, and POST. It's way more fun if you get involved, instead of just showing up and voting every now and again. Plus, inactivity can really kill a game based on votes, so try and stay active if you can.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:38:36 PM by boydster »

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
The Players:
Shifter - Village Exorcist, lynched on Day 1
Crouton - Normal Villager, murdered on Night 2
Space Cowgirl - Normal Villager, murdered on Night 3
Jane
Bullwinkle - TruthTerra, murdered on Night 4
DuckDodgers - Normal Villager, burned alive on Day 2
Ichimaru Gin :] - Normal Villager, murdered on Night 1
Pezevenk - Pebbles McWaddlebotton, lynched on Day 5
Jura-Glenlivet II
deadsirius - Fishcakes von Peckington, lynched on Day 4
jroa
Roundy the Truthinessist - Normal Villager, suspended in an alternate plane on Day 3

Everyone with a special role has been notified. If you have not received a PM from me, assume you are a normal villager.

Day One
Shifter votes to lynch Pezevenk
Roundy the Truthinessist votes to lynch Shifter
Ichimaru Gin :] votes to lynch Shifter
Crouton votes to lynch Shifter
Space Cowgirl votes to lynch Shifter
Jane votes to lynch Roundy the Truthinessist
Bullwinkle votes to lynch Shifter
Pezevenk votes to lynch Shifter
jroa votes to lynch Shifter

Shifter is lynched.

Night One
Ichimaru Gin :] is stabbed through the heart by Pebbles McWaddlebottom's flipper

Day Two
DuckDodgers votes to lynch Pezevenk
Pezevenk votes to lynch Space Cowgirl
Bullwinkle votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Jane votes to lynch Bullwinkle
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Crouton votes to lynch jroa
jroa votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Space Cowgirl votes to lynch DuckDodgers
deadsirius votes to lynch DuckDodgers
Roundy The Truthinessist votes to lynch DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers is killed by Shifter's ghost

Night Two
Crouton is murdered, penetrated through the chest by the great Rowbotham Beam
*It should be noted. Fishcakes von Peckington fired the beam*

Day Three
Roundy The Truthinessist votes to lynch Jane
Jane votes to lynch Roundy The Truthinessist
jroa votes to lynch Jane
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch Roundy The Truthinessist
Bullwinkle votes to lynch Roundy The Truthinessist
Space Cowgirl votes to lynch Roundy The Truthinessist

Evil Roundy is lynched, and Roundy The Truthinessist is forever trapped in the plane of the dead

Night Three

Space Cowgirl, while hallucinating to a previously unachieved degree, is murdered by Pebbles

Day Four
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch deadsirius
Jane votes to lynch deadsirius
deadsirius votes to lynch Jane
jroa votes to lynch deadsirius
Pezevenk votes to lynch Jane
Bullwinkle votes to lynch deadsirius

deadsirius, who had been possessed by Fishcakes von Peckington, is lynched. One penguin remains.

Night Four
Bullwinkle, the village oracle known as TruthTerra, is murdered by Pebbles.

Day Five
Pezevenk votes to lynch Jane
Jane votes to lynch Pezevenk
Jura-Glenlivet II votes to lynch Pezevenk
jroa votes to lynch Pezevenk

Pezevenk is lynched, revealing to the villagers that he was Pebbles McWaddlebottom all along

The Villagers win!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:18:53 PM by boydster »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 04:41:58 PM »
Damn ankle biting penguins! WE'LL GET YOU THIS TIME.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »
Question.  Are the rules different than the last round?  PM's and such?

Also.  Disclaimer.  I may attempt role playing during this, haven't decided yet.  Try not to take anything I might say personally and I promise I'll do the same.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
It begins...

I'm going to start by mourning for my identical twin lost at Ben Lawers, and wondering why no one found the body.

We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
That's a very good question, Crouton. I can't control PMs, and so I didn't really state it as an official rule, but I do think it would be best if the players can have a gentlemanperson's agreement to play the game out in the open. That being said, it's not an actionable offense. However, the villagers and/or werepenguins may decide to use suspicions of private messaging to influence the choices of those around them.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
Wake up, penguins. SHOW YOURSELVES.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
So, the game started already?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
Yes! We are in the first day phase. It will be daytime until 7pm US Eastern Time tomorrow. There are a little over 21 hours to decide who to lynch, if anyone.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
We could have moose steaks to fortify ourselves.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »
How 'bout I order pizza instead?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
I say we start out by lynching SCG and Jane, unless someone seriously announces themself as a werepenguin.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
Actually SCG and Jane are unlikely to be reprising their werepenguin roles (males game less boring) and will probably be the first to be taken being widely deemed as safe.  Lynching them is a waste. Plus I'm interested to see how they die after what they did to me!

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
Actually SCG and Jane are unlikely to be reprising their werepenguin roles (males game less boring) and will probably be the first to be taken being widely deemed as safe.  Lynching them is a waste. Plus I'm interested to see how they die after what they did to me!

If the werepenguins were randomly chosen there's no reason to assume they were not chosen.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
All roles were decided by die rolls.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
I say we start out by lynching SCG and Jane, unless someone seriously announces themself as a werepenguin.
Well that's just rude.

Yep it's possible we'll be chosen, but equally we're more likely to have not have been. Which does make us likely targets because we know how the penguins think, we're in the best position to spot suspicious behaviour. And I'm well aware that saying that's probably signed my death warrant, but I expect the penguins'll figure it out sooner or later so eh.

Important question! Does this game feature the ability to lynch the narrator?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »

No. And god dammit Jane, I'm still not a werepenguin!

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »

No. And god dammit Jane, I'm still not a werepenguin!
That's just what a werepenguin would say.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
Jane kind of looks like a penguin but then again penguins don't have mustaches
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
It may be a disguise.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
I've made a decision. You've perspective on all of this is wrong.  There's nothing to believe that these penguins will attack us.  The only thing that might provoke them.  Such as Roundy.  I'm warning you Roundy.  If you don't calm down your homicidal rhetoric I'm afraid I'll have to vote to lynch you.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
Maybe we should try lynching from the first day this time. Last time we waited and it didn't work out that well.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 12:27:59 AM »
Maybe we should try lynching from the first day this time. Last time we waited and it didn't work out that well.

Lynching now is pot luck if you score a penguin. Last time, it didn't work because you voted to kill our scientist. Just try not to f#@k it up this time and we should win it

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 01:32:12 AM »

Lynching now is pot luck if you score a penguin. Last time, it didn't work because you voted to kill our scientist. Just try not to f#@k it up this time and we should win it
We've been over this. The scientist did a shit job. And yes, it's unlikely that a penguin will be lynched. But do you really want to wait until the penguins have killed everyone to decide who the penguin is?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 01:49:43 AM »

We've been over this. The scientist did a shit job. And yes, it's unlikely that a penguin will be lynched. But do you really want to wait until the penguins have killed everyone to decide who the penguin is?

OK. So who do we murder based on the zero information we have?

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 02:12:35 AM »

Idk. We can start by you  ;)

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 02:44:11 AM »

Idk. We can start by you  ;)

It's going to turn out that Pez actually is a penguin this time isn't it?

If people want to vote today, wait until nearer the time, we will at least have some information from how people are behaving.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 03:29:59 AM »
Out of curiosity, how does the dice rolling process work?  Did you roll two 6 sided dice and then go down the list to that number for each role? 

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 04:22:57 AM »
Out of curiosity, how does the dice rolling process work?  Did you roll two 6 sided dice and then go down the list to that number for each role?

I assigned each player a number, 1 thru 12, based on when they signed up (first player enrolled was number 1, second player enrolled was number 2, etc). Then I rolled a 12 sided die 4 times. The first 2 rolls were for the penguins, the last 2 rolls were for the special villager roles. There were no duplicate numbers that came up.