Mobile friendly layout

• 11 Replies

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Mobile friendly layout
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
Is there any way we can get a more mobile friendly forum layout to choose from? I miss the old tintagel layout because it showed user post counts and status, such as admin or moderator, along with the user name and avatar when posting. These items are included on the page when viewed on a computer, just not on mobile.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Mobile friendly layout
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
Probably a tall order. My barely informed opinion is that tapatalk integration might be an easier way to get there. My work with software is usually very low level. Php, databases, web stuff, these are things that I just sort of stumble through when I need to.

boydster, are these sorts of projects within your skillset?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
Well I'm gonna lead with: I don't have the very special powers granted to those who can change the underlying code for the forum.

If granted those powers, I promise my constituents pizza for lunch every day and no homework!

More seriously, what you're talking about DD is probably not terribly hard to implement. I haven't messed around with SMF templates very much, but I'd be willing to bet it's a simple fix. Just messing with my browser window size right now, I can see the layout reacts to the window width and uses that to determine what fields are displayed to the viewer - so my laptop will show the mobile layout if I just change the window size. I'm pretty sure I could make it show the post count and the super-power squares without breaking everything. But, I'd counter with, how does that enhance the end user experience on a mobile device? It's going to add more vertical headroom between posts while someone is perusing, with info that's repetitive and probably overlooked by a majority of people. Is having the squares and/or post count helpful? Or a title? And if so, is there another way to achieve the same thing without making every single post longer to scroll through?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »
On the mobile platform I can't tell what forum I am perusing. So I might inadvertently debate in a Q&A because if I just click 'new posts' and not navigate to where the new post is, I have no idea where in the forum I'm in.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

DuckDodgers

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
The forum role would be nice to see as it's impossible to see that the person giving you a warning in the thread is a mod, a curator, or someone membrating. It's also not intuitive what the colors on the main screen mean about a member. The ony way to see their role is to go to their user profile and look.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:15:37 AM »
I don't have the very special powers granted to those who can change the underlying code for the forum.

If granted those powers

Done, PM me and I'll tell you how to get root access here. I pointed it out before. I don't have the heart to nuke the place.

Maybe someone else does?
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:36:35 AM »
I don't have the very special powers granted to those who can change the underlying code for the forum.

If granted those powers

Done, PM me and I'll tell you how to get root access here. I pointed it out before. I don't have the heart to nuke the place.

Maybe someone else does?

Ah. Now you're offering to teach people how to hack the site in S&C. Ok. I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
Somewhat related, when I'm on my phone and post on CN for some reason it gets really slow sometimes and characters appear on the screen long after I typed them. Must be the snow, not sure.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
That's just Santa reminding you to be good.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
I have that same issue sometimes, but it's morally because of my phone. It does that when I'm using a chunk of mobile data or cpu power.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
I have that same issue sometimes, but it's morally because of my phone. It does that when I'm using a chunk of mobile data or cpu power.

If your phone is making value judgements about your content you should throw it in a fire.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
We currently have our source on bitbucket; I am working on a CI solution so that you can just submit a pull request for changes, and someone like myself with review them and they'll deploy. I may throw some hours at it today.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.