Moon at daytime

• 8 Replies
Moon at daytime
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »
 I would like to know what flat earthers think about this. So I’m pretty sure most people have been able to see the moon in daytime during their lives. (PS I know flat earthers believe that the moon emits it’s own cold light). So my question to flat earthers is: why are we able to see the moon at daytime but not the sun at nighttime on the regular flat earth map? (PS again if you believe in another flat earth model I would be happy to look it over it and see if the same problem adheres to that). Thank you in advance for your answer  :).

JackBlack

Re: Moon at daytime
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
I would like to know what flat earthers think about this. So I’m pretty sure most people have been able to see the moon in daytime during their lives. (PS I know flat earthers believe that the moon emits it’s own cold light). So my question to flat earthers is: why are we able to see the moon at daytime but not the sun at nighttime on the regular flat earth map? (PS again if you believe in another flat earth model I would be happy to look it over it and see if the same problem adheres to that). Thank you in advance for your answer  :).
While not a FE, it would be for a similar reason to why we can see the sun during the day and why we see different stars at night throughout the year. They aren't synchronized.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »
While not a FE, it would be for a similar reason to why we can see the sun during the day and why we see different stars at night throughout the year. They aren't synchronized.

What do you mean by "they aren't synchronized"?

According to the FE model, the sun will be seen if it's above you and it won't be seen when it's not above you. That should also work with the moon, but if the moon is on the other side of the flat earth plane planet, it should not be seen, yet, it is.
So, how would the moon move in a way of where it can still be seen during the daytime, even though it is on the other half of the planet?
Even if the moon is emitting its own light to shine in at daytime, how would the sun (which is emitting an even strong light) not being seen at night on a flat earth?
If the answer is so clear and simple, I don't see why it takes all of this back and forth nonsense. Just give an answer with valid proof behind it.

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
The sun takes roughly 24 hours to circle above Earth, the stars take roughly 23 hours 56 minutes so over the course of a year it would make 1 more cycle than the sun.
The moon is even slower and makes roughly 12 or so fewer cycles each year. (if I did the math right).

The moon isn't always opposite the sun.
During a full moon the moon is opposite the sun and is visible at night.
Close to a new moon, the moon is close to the sun and is visible during the day.

This applies for both RE and FE.

Edit: corrected that the moon is slower, not faster.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:14:54 AM by JackBlack »

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:00:23 AM »
The sun takes roughly 24 hours to circle above Earth, the stars take roughly 23 hours 56 minutes so over the course of a year it would make 1 more cycle than the sun.
The moon is even faster and makes an extra 12 or so cycles each year. (if I did the math right).

Close to a new moon, the moon is close to the sun and is visible during the day.

Ok, so what you’re saying is that the moon moves above the earth faster than the sun, which sometimes makes it visible at daytime. I would like to hear if FEers agree with this explanation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:02:12 AM by Sflerfer »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It might be more accurate to say that:
  • The sun appears to take an average of 24 hours to circle the Earth.
  • The stars appear to take roughly 23 hours 56 minutes so over the course of a year would make 1 more cycle than the sun.
  • The moon is even slower than the sun and appears to take an average of about 24.81 hours to circle the Earth so rises an average of almost 49 minutes later each day (if I did the math right). The moon appears to make 1 less cycle each lunation or synodic month, (the period between new moons).
The rest is OK and this applies for both RE and FE.

JackBlack

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 02:13:33 AM »
The moon is even slower than the sun
My bad, got it the wrong way around, will fix it up now.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »
But wouldn’t there be nights where the moon shouldn’t be visible on a flat earth if the sun and moon were out of sync?

JackBlack

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
But wouldn’t there be nights where the moon shouldn’t be visible on a flat earth if the sun and moon were out of sync?
Yes. And this is true for a round Earth as well.
Around a new moon, the moon is only visible around the same time as the sun. At most you can see it for a brief period before the sun rises or after it sets.