compass headings

• 6 Replies
compass headings
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »
When a boat or plane travels on any compass heading, it follows a straight line in that direction. If you follow a compass heading on FE to the west, 270 degrees, you have to make a curve. Why should I believe FE when compass doesn't work and compass works on FE?
Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

Re: compass headings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:58:37 AM »
When a boat or plane travels on any compass heading, it follows a straight line in that direction. If you follow a compass heading on FE to the west, 270 degrees, you have to make a curve. Why should I believe FE when compass doesn't work and compass works on FE?

By your own model, it ain't possible to go in a straight line anywhere.
Not being argumentative, (well, a little bit...).
Just wondering what the point is.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:01:29 AM by Didymus »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 03:40:00 AM »
But whether the earth is flat or a Globe, how do you tell the difference between a curve of say 10,000 km radius and a straight line?
Before inertial navigation systems etc, all ships could do is follow a compass course. On the FE, that would circle around the North Pole as it would on the Globe.

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:24:38 AM »
No it doesn't.
The closest you get to that is due north or due south on the FE model, or a geodesic for the RE with a heading of due east or west at the equator, or due north or south.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
Before inertial navigation the re was compass AND celestial navigation AND dead reckoning. Everybody figured out sun rises in the east and sets in the west, the north star. Many early civilizations had much more, google "viking navigation".

With a compass you can do dead reckoning, which means I went on this compass heading at a certain speed for a certain time, so I must be here. I believe Columbus used this. They would throw a log over the stern witha rope that had knots and count how many knots went by in X time using an hourglass. They would write down how many knots in a log book. Admittedly often large error, but sometimes pretty close.

Sextant was invented in 1757, forerunners existed before. Then latitude is easy at night, for daytime latitude and longitude, you need to know exactly what time it is. So when they got chronometer and sextant  (except clouds) would tell you where you are very precisely. 

All this has worked beautifully since for 200 years and is based on RE astronomy. If it just happens to work on FE, quiter a coincidence. I do not believe FE has a technical explanation for how celestial navigation works. RE does.

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
What I should have said is: On RE, if you use a globe to determine a course over a long distance, then go straight on that compass course, you will arrive where you intended, forming a straight line when viewed from above, although curved over the surface.

If you follow a compass heading on FE (except north and south, that will work), you will curve away from where you wanted it to go

?

Dirk

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
But whether the earth is flat or a Globe, how do you tell the difference between a curve of say 10,000 km radius and a straight line?
Before inertial navigation systems etc, all ships could do is follow a compass course. On the FE, that would circle around the North Pole as it would on the Globe.
If you are on the equator and identify a far away object due east of your position with a compass and then move - by always keeping multiple landmarks on your way in a straight line - in direction of that object for 100 km, then:

On RE you would still be on the equator after 100 km.

On a flat earth with a circular equator around the North Pole you would leave the equator (because it bends to your left) and after 100 km end up almost 1 km south of it. A map or locals could confirm that.

EDIT:
Or, if you don't want to move physically: find your starting point on a map (it is on the equator) and find your fixed object due east from your starting point, then:

On RE the object is also on the equator.

On FE it is south of the equator. How much depends on how far it is from your starting point (and on the FE radius).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:29:38 PM by Dirk »