Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model

• 31 Replies

THEREALDILL23

• A dreamer and a logical powerhouse
Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real. According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earther's would be good. Lets have some good conversations.
Not you or me or nobody hits harder than life, but its not about how hard you can hit; it about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. Take the punches and keep moving forward. THAT"S HOW WINNING IS DONE!

Re: Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real. According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earther's would be good. Lets have some good conversations.

You have said it yourself that the transit of Venus, has no explanation on a flat Earth, one more strike on the FE.
The heliocentric model, the explanation of the transit of Venus, is just fine.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »

You have said it yourself that the transit of Venus, has no explanation on a flat Earth, one more strike on the FE.

Mousewalker, I am well aware that it isn't possible, but it is also possible that it is not Venus in front of the sun, as there are numerous phenomenon that can't be explained. You have to realize that teachings of the flat earth are not mainstream such as the globe model. The flat earth theory in this day and age isn't as informed as the ancient civilizations were. (Please try and debate on how advanced the ancients were, were not even close to the technology they had.) My point is, as anyone else done research on this. The difference here, is you don't see flat earthers bashing globers, you see a one sided fight, because were here trying to learn and not bullshit around. I could probably school a lot of people on this site, I simply want a good discussion .
Not you or me or nobody hits harder than life, but its not about how hard you can hit; it about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. Take the punches and keep moving forward. THAT"S HOW WINNING IS DONE!

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

Mousewalker, I am well aware that it isn't possible, but it is also possible that it is not Venus in front of the sun, as there are numerous phenomenon that can't be explained. You have to realize that teachings of the flat earth are not mainstream such as the globe model. The flat earth theory in this day and age isn't as informed as the ancient civilizations were. (Please try and debate on how advanced the ancients were, were not even close to the technology they had.) My point is, as anyone else done research on this. The difference here, is you don't see flat earthers bashing globers, you see a one sided fight, because were here trying to learn and not bullshit around. I could probably school a lot of people on this site, I simply want a good discussion .
Thank you for addressing me,
There are only two objects that can transit the sun, thy are Mercury and Venus, oops three objects, the moon.
On a flat earth, all I hear is magic, dark sun ----: any sufficiently Advanced science, is seen as magic. or Science that is not understood, is magic. And that is what I get from a flat earther.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real. According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earthers would be good. Lets have some good conversations.
I'm not a flat-earther, but this society does not seem to hold with your description of the behaviour of the planets and stars.

This is from an earlier post I made about the motion of the planets:
I doubt that even the flat earthers here know much about the planetary model in their own "Wiki"!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The Flat Earth Wiki entry for
Retrograde Motion
Q. Why do the planets retrograde in the sky?

A. Retrograde motion occurs from the fact that the planets are revolving around the sun while the sun itself moves around the hub of the earth. This particular path the planets take makes it appear as if several of them make a loop along their journeys across the night sky.

I seriously doubt that any of actual information came from Flat Earth sources.
The diagram of planetary orbits is simply a slight variation of the Tychonian System, and Tycho Brahe was certainly no flat-earther, though his system is a modified geocentric one.
And you could look up the Wiki entry on "Stars" at The Flat Earth Society Wiki, The Stars.

I personally do not accept that, but the stars are not claimed to be stationary and they certainly appear to move.

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »
Rab, I have read a lot of your comments on post and I have a lot of issues with some of the things you say, but your fair regarding your judgment of material. I would like to say, that the picture your using was not taken by a time-lapse and may not be accurate. I've seen a good bit of raw photographs and videos on the stars as well as made my own observations. I am not against science so long as it is carried out properly. I agree that the flat earth society is far from concise, especially when you have a large amount of uneducated individuals who can't argue anything. All they do is repeat what is known and don't add and new information that was found by good research methods.( Given there is limited resources to go on.)  I hate the propaganda that goes along with the theory, but the fact still remains that there are too many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe. The sources of these types of information is vastly in the private sector and when people who find good arguments against them try to publish their findings they get shot down due to funding.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
Rab, I have read a lot of your comments on post and I have a lot of issues with some of the things you say, but your fair regarding your judgment of material. I would like to say, that the picture your using was not taken by a time-lapse and may not be accurate. I've seen a good bit of raw photographs and videos on the stars as well as made my own observations. I am not against science so long as it is carried out properly. I agree that the flat earth society is far from concise, especially when you have a large amount of uneducated individuals who can't argue anything. All they do is repeat what is known and don't add and new information that was found by good research methods.( Given there is limited resources to go on.)  I hate the propaganda that goes along with the theory, but the fact still remains that there are too many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe. The sources of these types of information is vastly in the private sector and when people who find good arguments against them try to publish their findings they get shot down due to funding.
I would like to follow up here a bit.
1) "I would like to say, that the picture your using was not taken by a time-lapse and may not be accurate." You mean the retro-grade of the planet picture? It's a multiple exposure image... taking the same picture again and again and laying them over one another. It's like a time-lapse. It looks like a photo to me, but maybe it's an illustration? Are you suggesting you don't think that is an accurate portrayal of planetary retrograde motion?

2) "...there are too many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe." Clearly we cannot go through these all at once, but I'd like to hear what the biggest one is for you. Maybe we can go from there. What is the single most obvious inconsistency in the heliocentric model in your opinion?

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Icansciencethat,

I honestly can't narrow it down to just one, but my biggest argument against heliocentric model is the circular pattern of stars we can observe almost everyday and how at many times of the year, I can see the moon and the sun at the same exact time, while in the Philippines they can see the moon as well. I would love to see this explained. I have argued many times we can get a group of individuals from around the world to take pictures at the same time, and compare them; that would prove what model is correct. There are so many mind numbing numbers thrown at us , yet when we take the time to think about them and how things should work, they don't. The world is an oblate spheroid, if we have official pictures of the earth, the shape should NEVER CHANGE. The blue marble itself and the globe in the classrooms are severely inaccurate when it comes to the sizes of the continents. ( look at Iceland and Africa.) Can I get feed back on these claims of mine? ( I have not presented any sources because I want to see what others have to say.) 

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
Just as a topper, the fact that even NASA has a document that explains the science of flying over a flat plane is proof enough for me that there are some lies out there regarding our realm. (NASA Document 1207) Plus look up the article about the plane landing in Alaska, because of a pregnant woman, makes no logical sense on a globe, makes more sense on a flat earth model.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »

(Please try and debate on how advanced the ancients were, were not even close to the technology they had.)

Not close to the technology of the ancients? Those guys that spent days crossing a miniscule section of any continent while we can do the Sydney - Santiago run in 12 hours?

Icansciencethat,

I honestly can't narrow it down to just one, but my biggest argument against heliocentric model is the circular pattern of stars we can observe almost everyday and how at many times of the year, I can see the moon and the sun at the same exact time, while in the Philippines they can see the moon as well. I would love to see this explained. I have argued many times we can get a group of individuals from around the world to take pictures at the same time, and compare them; that would prove what model is correct. There are so many mind numbing numbers thrown at us , yet when we take the time to think about them and how things should work, they don't. The world is an oblate spheroid, if we have official pictures of the earth, the shape should NEVER CHANGE. The blue marble itself and the globe in the classrooms are severely inaccurate when it comes to the sizes of the continents. ( look at Iceland and Africa.) Can I get feed back on these claims of mine? ( I have not presented any sources because I want to see what others have to say.) 

What part of the explanations to these points you raised do you gave issues with? Refraction and the sheer distances between the earth and other bodies (including the moon, sun, and the stars) account for how you see the heavenly bodies.

The size of the continents in pictures of the earth have been explained, shown and proven to be as a result of looking at details on a sphere from different angles and distances. Especially distances.

Have you actually read that NASA document to see why a flat stationary model was assumed for the calculation neede in ONLY that section of said document?

Have you traced the flight path from Taiwan to LA and the connection to Alaska ON A GLOBE and not on any of the projections of the 3d earth to a 2d piece of paper? Including the Azimutal Equidistant Projection Flat Earthers use in defending how that plan would work on a flat earth?

Have you seen the myriads of experiments put foward to highlight the spherical shape of the earth WITHOUT SPENDING A DIME?

Have you actually gone through any of these before you decide they don't make any sense? In the event they still don't make sense to you, kindly bring up the points you have issues with. I am sure you will get a heliocentric answer to them because truth be told, we live on a heliocentric earth.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »

(Please try and debate on how advanced the ancients were, were not even close to the technology they had.)

Not close to the technology of the ancients? Those guys that spent days crossing a miniscule section of any continent while we can do the Sydney - Santiago run in 12 hours?

Icansciencethat,

What part of the explanations to these points you raised do you gave issues with? Refraction and the sheer distances between the earth and other bodies (including the moon, sun, and the stars) account for how you see the heavenly bodies.

The size of the continents in pictures of the earth have been explained, shown and proven to be as a result of looking at details on a sphere from different angles and distances. Especially distances.

Have you actually read that NASA document to see why a flat stationary model was assumed for the calculation needed in ONLY that section of said document?

Have you traced the flight path from Taiwan to LA and the connection to Alaska ON A GLOBE and not on any of the projections of the 3d earth to a 2d piece of paper? Including the Azimutal Equidistant Projection of a spherical earth that Flat Earthers use in defending how that plan would work on a flat earth?

Have you seen the myriads of experiments put foward to highlight the spherical shape of the earth WITHOUT SPENDING A DIME?

Have you actually gone through any of these before you decide they don't make any sense? In the event they still don't make sense to you, kindly bring up the points you have issues with. I am sure you will get a heliocentric answer to them because truth be told, we live on a heliocentric earth.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »
Icansciencethat,

Started a new thread for this.

For this thread, let's talk about that "time-lapse" of retrograde planetary motion. You cool with that photo? I had the impression you didn't like the photo. Want to discuss it?

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
Icansciencethat,

For this thread, let's talk about that "time-lapse" of retrograde planetary motion. You cool with that photo? I had the impression you didn't like the photo. Want to discuss it?

I would like to discuss it yes. The issue with the above image is that is a composite done at different times ( not specifically in a certain time frame.) composed into a single image based on over lapping the original images. ( IF I remember correctly.) I understand the concept quite clearly, since the orbits of the planets take a lot of time to be compressed into a single image at a certain point. My argument against this type of image is that were not given any information regarding, where on earth it was taken from, when was each image taken, and what other pieces of the photographs were removed? Plus, you can also argue they may not have been taken at the same spot.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
Icansciencethat,

I would like to discuss it yes. The issue with the above image is that is a composite done at different times ( not specifically in a certain time frame.) composed into a single image based on over lapping the original images. ( IF I remember correctly.) I understand the concept quite clearly, since the orbits of the planets take a lot of time to be compressed into a single image at a certain point. My argument against this type of image is that were not given any information regarding, where on earth it was taken from, when was each image taken, and what other pieces of the photographs were removed? Plus, you can also argue they may not have been taken at the same spot.
My understanding on how they retrograde pictures were taken: is from the same location, from night to night, at the same time of night, for the number times, that you see the planet.

And that is the observation scene, the question becomes why do we see what we see?

It is like a stop motion camera, we are taking one frame a night. There are two objects in motion,   the Earth, and the planet for argument purposes Mars. Earth having a shorter orbit is moving faster, approaches the alignment with Mars, and then passes it. This creates the loop that you see in the photograph. There may be a target star in the background, so that the camera is centered, as Earth and Mars passes the target Star. And this is all powered by gravity.

https://mars.nasa.gov/allaboutmars/nightsky/retrograde/

On a flat Earth, there’s talks about whirlpools and Eddie’s, nothing about what powers the whirlpools, or why they’re never changing. To me a Whirlpool is very chaotic, forever changing.
:add the link
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:17:54 PM by MouseWalker »
The earth is a globe.

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »

Icansciencethat,

Have you actually read that NASA document to see why a flat stationary model was assumed for the calculation neede in ONLY that section of said document?

Have you traced the flight path from Taiwan to LA and the connection to Alaska ON A GLOBE and not on any of the projections of the 3d earth to a 2d piece of paper? Including the Azimutal Equidistant Projection Flat Earthers use in defending how that plan would work on a flat earth?

Space Cadet, I don't have time to hit everything you said, but let me get this straight, the reason I can see the sun and moon at the same time with such a small piece of the sky is based on the distance from the earth? Your angles don't work sir. I suggest you look back at how night and day works on a globe model. This is not a critism this is me stating a truth.

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »

Icansciencethat,

Space Cadet, I don't have time to hit everything you said, but let me get this straight, the reason I can see the sun and moon at the same time with such a small piece of the sky is based on the distance from the earth? Your angles don't work sir. I suggest you look back at how night and day works on a globe model. This is not a critism this is me stating a truth.

The moon takes approximately 29 1/2 days to orbit the earth, Half of which time it is in daylight, moonless nights, occurred during this time.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
Rab, I have read a lot of your comments on post and I have a lot of issues with some of the things you say, but your fair regarding your judgment of material. I would like to say, that the picture your using was not taken by a time-lapse and may not be accurate.
Excuse me, Mr THEREALDILL23, but that post was nothing more than a quote from "The Flat Earth Society Wiki" - complain to them, not to me!.

You claim, "I would like to say, that the picture your using was not taken by a time-lapse and may not be accurate. I've seen a good bit of raw photographs and videos on the stars as well as made my own observations. I am not against science so long as it is carried out properly."

But that picture is in the "The Flat Earth Society Wiki". Why would The Flat Earth Society have used that picture if they did not believe it was accurate.
And I believe that it could be said that is was indeed "a time-lapse" with each frame aligned by to the background "fixed stars".

That "Wiki" entry is trying to explain an observation that has seen by astronomers for at least 2 millennia and caused great problems for those early astronomers.

Ptolemy and those before him dreamt up complicated explanations involving epicycles and deferrents this "weird" motion of the planets (the "wandering ones).
It wasn't till the time of Copernicus, Tycho Brahe (who believed in a stationary spherical earth) and finally Kepler that a simple explanation was found - the heliocentric solar system with near elliptical planetary orbits.

Quote from: THEREALDILL23
I've seen a good bit of raw photographs and videos on the stars as well as made my own observations. I am not against science so long as it is carried out properly. I agree that the flat earth society is far from concise, especially when you have a large amount of uneducated individuals who can't argue anything. All they do is repeat what is known and don't add and new information that was found by good research methods.( Given there is limited resources to go on.)  I hate the propaganda that goes along with the theory, but the fact still remains that there are too many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe.
You claim, "the fact still remains that there are too many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe".
I disagree and claim that those perceived "inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches" are simply a failure to understand exactly "what the heliocentric model teaches".
Sometimes that is because of a failure in the way it is taught. In many cases the "simple explanations" and not really wrong but are certainly inadequate.

But many you would sometime you could list these "many inconsistencies with what the heliocentric model teaches, versus that of what we observe".

That would be a huge help.

The sources of these types of information is vastly in the private sector and when people who find good arguments against them try to publish their findings they get shot down due to funding.
But, if you look into the history of the heliocentric solar system I believe that you will find that much of the work was not supported by massive "government grants".
The early work by the Greek "philosophers" was simply that of interested amateurs. Many were what we would call "teachers" or "professors" supported by their teaching. Eratosthanes was a librarian in the great library at Alexandria, etc.

Then that pet hate of flat earthers, Copernicius, was a Catholic priest working "on the side" against the "establishment".

I suggest that you look further for your excuses!

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
Don’t get technical. The ONLY questions you should ask, are these...

Why would anyone want to try and trick you about the shape of the planet you live on?

Why spend any time denying and arguing against hundreds of years of shared learning and direct experience?

They’re clever at trolling.  Nothing more.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real.
Now as to your OP.
Your claim that you "most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model".
I suggest that you should learn a little of "the heliocentric model" before making such a claim.

Then, "the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real". Possibility it won't fit into your "flat earth model" but it certainly fits reality.
The "the transit of Venus" has been understood for centuries, see Transit of Venus, 1639.
And by 1761 could be predicted accurately enough to know where on earth to make the required observations to assist in the determination of the distance to the sun.
Captain Cook's first voyage of from 1768 to 1771 was partly to observe the 1769 transit of Venus from Tahiti.
You might read Transit of Venus: Measuring the heavens in the 18th century about the efforts to observe the 1761 and 1769 transits.

According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earther's would be good. Lets have some good conversations.
How, you "justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun" is your problem. Just face it, it really does happen.
Quote from: Wikipedia
The last transit of Venus was on 5 and 6 June 2012, and was the last Venus transit of the 21st century; the prior transit took place on 8 June 2004. . . . . . . . . . . The next transits of Venus will take place on 10–11 December 2117, and 8 December 2125.
Take a look at the amateur videos on YouTube and photos on amateur astronomy sites of those transits - the saw something at the right times and places.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
Just as a topper, the fact that even NASA has a document that explains the science of flying over a flat plane is proof enough for me that there are some lies out there regarding our realm. (NASA Document 1207)
No NASA doesn't "explain the science of flying over a flat plane" but simulates the plane as a rigid constant mass object flying over a stationary flat earth.
And they make these simplifying approximations to make the computer simulation of new aircraft designs much faster run on smaller computers.
You might note the date on the document,
"NASA Reference Publication 1207 Derivation and Definition of a Linear Aircraft Model - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) by EL Duke · 1988"
Small fast computers were not so common 30 long years ago.
In 1989 IBM released the ES/3090 Model 100S with (don't laugh) a maximum of 64MB memory. Do you wonder that NASA wanted simpler simulations?

Of the approximations made, the "flying over a stationary flat earth" is a very minor one. The rotating globe has virtually no effect of an aircraft.

Plus look up the article about the plane landing in Alaska, because of a pregnant woman, makes no logical sense on a globe, makes more sense on a flat earth model.
That's total rubbish.
That video is not only incorrect about the origin of that flight but Anchorage was not a great deviation from the from Hong Kong to Los Angeles flight path.

Read the media report at the time Los Angeles Times, L.A.-bound flight makes emergency landing in Alaska.
Then have a look at Emergency Plane Landing Shows Idiocy of Flat Earth Thought: kerriknox.
Don't trust flat-earth sources for all your information.  Here's the flat earth video:

Emergency Air Plane Stop Proves Flat Earth, Watchman TV
Now you compare that video with the actual flight! Even the route from Bali to LA is quite incorrect and misleading.
Then it is shown on a Mercator projection map - need I say more?

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »
It was my understanding that the OP was expressing that he doesn't understand how the transit of Venus could work on FE.

If that is correct, let's not berate that. Let's ask, How does the transit of Venus work on FE?

From what I've caught in this thread, it sounds like the planets are considered to be in orbit around the Sun. Did I get that correct?

The only other answer I've ever heard from a FE (youtuber) was, "The wandering stars wander."

The OP didn't much care for the photo linked, but hopefully at this point we can all agree that it is a good representation of retrograde planetary motion - something that has been observed for millennia. Whether the photo is perfect or not shouldn't matter. If anyone does not believe that retrograde motion is real, I guess we can go back to that, but hopefully that's covered now.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »

Icansciencethat,

As per flat earther usual, you are cherry picking.

A very common misconception in astronomy is that the moon is directly opposite the sun in the sky. In fact, the moon is only in this position for a single instant in the whole lunar month: the exact time of full moon, when it is 180 degrees away from the sun. The rest of the month it can be anywhere from 0 to180 degrees away and, at least in theory, visible in the daytime sky.

At full moon, the moon is exactly opposite the sun. This means that the moon rises just as the sun is setting, and sets just as the sun is rising. This is also the only night in the month when a lunar eclipse can happen. Even so, eclipses normally happen only one full moon out of every six; the other times the Earth's shadow is either too high or too low to touch the moon.

Two things contribute to the moon being visible in daylight. First, it is bright enough that its light penetrates the scattered blue light of the sky. If you're looking at exactly the right spot with a telescope, you can also see the planets Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter in daylight, plus a few of the brightest stars (though few casual observers can actually pull this off). Secondly, the moon must be high enough in the sky to be visible.

Because of the Earth's rotation, the moon is above the horizon roughly 12 hours out of every 24. Since those 12 hours almost never coincide with the roughly 12 hours of daylight in every 24 hours, the possible window for observing the moon in daylight averages about 6 hours a day.

The moon is visible in daylight nearly every day, the exceptions being close to new moon, when the moon is too close to the sun to be visible, and close to full moon when it is only visible at night. The best times in the month to see the moon in daylight are close to first and last quarter, when the moon is 90 degrees away from the sun in the sky.

https://www.space.com/7267-moon-daylight.html
That helps explain how you can see the moon in daylight

Like I said, the sheer scale of the universe contributes to how you can SEE THE HEAVENLY BODIES.

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real.
Now as to your OP.
Your claim that you "most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model".
I suggest that you should learn a little of "the heliocentric model" before making such a claim.

Then, "the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real". Possibility it won't fit into your "flat earth model" but it certainly fits reality.
The "the transit of Venus" has been understood for centuries, see Transit of Venus, 1639.
And by 1761 could be predicted accurately enough to know where on earth to make the required observations to assist in the determination of the distance to the sun.
Captain Cook's first voyage of from 1768 to 1771 was partly to observe the 1769 transit of Venus from Tahiti.
You might read Transit of Venus: Measuring the heavens in the 18th century about the efforts to observe the 1761 and 1769 transits.

According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earther's would be good. Lets have some good conversations.
How, you "justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun" is your problem. Just face it, it really does happen.
The last transit of Venus was on 5 and 6 June 2012, and was the last Venus transit of the 21st century; the prior transit took place on 8 June 2004. . . . . . . . . . . The next transits of Venus will take place on 10–11 December 2117, and 8 December 2125.
Take a look at the amateur videos on YouTube and photos on amateur astronomy sites of those transits - the saw something at the right times and places.

Rab, I had a minor of astrology in college, and got my degree in marketing from FMU. I'm not an idiot on the heliocentric model by any means. But I do know that the Heliocentric model and the Big bang contradict themselves on numerous levels. Plus, I did something most of the people here have not. I took the science books from 12 different years and read them. The changes in the teachings from the big bang theory and the Heliocentric model is astounding. ( Big bang and Evolution is just ridiculous and is nothing more than a religion) But The heliocentric model was founded by amateurs who at the time didn't do peer reviews or have critics. And I am well aware that not ALL studies that are done are funded by the government, but ALL The studies done today are 90% spewed from the private sector. ( Ran by government grants and other private parties who have very strict subjects they are willing to fund.) I don't know the source for any photo posted on this site unless it is cited. I am simply stating that I would like to see the actual source of things and check them out for myself. I don't know everything their is to know about the heliocentric model or anything of the sort, but the science of the heliocentric model is not accurate, just like the claim that the sun is 93 million miles away. Well it turns out they measured it based on the speed of light, but wouldn't you know that the speed of light is NOT A CONSTANT! It is very funny in my mind that the sun is 93 million miles away, but dust, gas clouds and other known objects that go through space never seem to get within the direction of the sun. Now, that I've had a little time to actually compose a actual problem here is my question. How is it that clouds, that weigh thousands of KG's can defy gravity and float. According to the mainstream scientist, the water particles are too small to actually be affected by gravity. Gravity is strong enough to hold in our atmosphere to our spinning ball PERFECTLY, yet it can't pull down a cloud? They do realize that our atmosphere and a cloud have a large amount of air particles in common.  Something doesn't seem accurate here.  THis is what doesn't make sense, Gravity is strong enough to hold planets that are traveling at MASSIVE speeds and have Massive velocities, yet it can't bring a cloud down or prevent birds from flying. Sorry, but that's not science, you can't test observe, or predict this outcome based on science taught in schools or even at higher levels. I agree with the Saudi clergy man that was just bashed around the world for claiming the earth doesn't spin. No experiment in the history of man has measured the movement of the earth and no airplane accounts for the spin of the earth. Yet this doesn't raise a flag in the minds of the scientific community?

THEREALDILL23

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

Icansciencethat,

As per flat earther usual, you are cherry picking.

A very common misconception in astronomy is that the moon is directly opposite the sun in the sky. In fact, the moon is only in this position for a single instant in the whole lunar month: the exact time of full moon, when it is 180 degrees away from the sun. The rest of the month it can be anywhere from 0 to180 degrees away and, at least in theory, visible in the daytime sky.

At full moon, the moon is exactly opposite the sun. This means that the moon rises just as the sun is setting, and sets just as the sun is rising. This is also the only night in the month when a lunar eclipse can happen. Even so, eclipses normally happen only one full moon out of every six; the other times the Earth's shadow is either too high or too low to touch the moon.

Two things contribute to the moon being visible in daylight. First, it is bright enough that its light penetrates the scattered blue light of the sky. If you're looking at exactly the right spot with a telescope, you can also see the planets Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter in daylight, plus a few of the brightest stars (though few casual observers can actually pull this off). Secondly, the moon must be high enough in the sky to be visible.

Because of the Earth's rotation, the moon is above the horizon roughly 12 hours out of every 24. Since those 12 hours almost never coincide with the roughly 12 hours of daylight in every 24 hours, the possible window for observing the moon in daylight averages about 6 hours a day.

The moon is visible in daylight nearly every day, the exceptions being close to new moon, when the moon is too close to the sun to be visible, and close to full moon when it is only visible at night. The best times in the month to see the moon in daylight are close to first and last quarter, when the moon is 90 degrees away from the sun in the sky.

https://www.space.com/7267-moon-daylight.html
That helps explain how you can see the moon in daylight

Like I said, the sheer scale of the universe contributes to how you can SEE THE HEAVENLY BODIES.

Space cadet, let me just say this. Every single individual who debates anything is " Cherry picking" They choose the information that use to make a argument. This is a practice that every single college in the world teaches people to do when they form an "Argument". You are now just trying to use a term associated with negative connotations to make it seem as if your not doing the same thing I am. 

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
Rab, I had a minor of astrology in college...

You can study astrology in college? Where is that?

But I do know that the Heliocentric model and the Big bang contradict themselves on numerous levels.

Such as?

I don't know everything their is to know about the heliocentric model or anything of the sort, but the science of the heliocentric model is not accurate...

What are the inaccuracies?

...just like the claim that the sun is 93 million miles away. Well it turns out they measured it based on the speed of light, but wouldn't you know that the speed of light is NOT A CONSTANT!

I'm not sure which measurement method you're referring to, but would the speed of light being constant in a vacuum be relevant at all?

It is very funny in my mind that the sun is 93 million miles away, but dust, gas clouds and other known objects that go through space never seem to get within the direction of the sun.

Based on your research of the heliocentric model, why would you expect that?

Now, that I've had a little time to actually compose a actual problem here is my question. How is it that clouds, that weigh thousands of KG's can defy gravity and float. According to the mainstream scientist, the water particles are too small to actually be affected by gravity.

I suspect you haven't researched this very well. Can you cite that 'mainstream' explanation?

Gravity is strong enough to hold in our atmosphere to our spinning ball PERFECTLY, yet it can't pull down a cloud? They do realize that our atmosphere and a cloud have a large amount of air particles in common.  Something doesn't seem accurate here.  THis is what doesn't make sense, Gravity is strong enough to hold planets that are traveling at MASSIVE speeds and have Massive velocities, yet it can't bring a cloud down or prevent birds from flying. Sorry, but that's not science, you can't test observe, or predict this outcome based on science taught in schools or even at higher levels. I agree with the Saudi clergy man that was just bashed around the world for claiming the earth doesn't spin. No experiment in the history of man has measured the movement of the earth and no airplane accounts for the spin of the earth. Yet this doesn't raise a flag in the minds of the scientific community?

Do some research. Find out how mainstream science actually explains this stuff, rather than how you imagine it does.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »

You can study astrology in college? Where is that?

But I do know that the Heliocentric model and the Big bang contradict themselves on numerous levels.

Such as?

I don't know everything their is to know about the heliocentric model or anything of the sort, but the science of the heliocentric model is not accurate...

What are the inaccuracies?

...just like the claim that the sun is 93 million miles away. Well it turns out they measured it based on the speed of light, but wouldn't you know that the speed of light is NOT A CONSTANT!

I'm not sure which measurement method you're referring to, but would the speed of light being constant in a vacuum be relevant at all?

It is very funny in my mind that the sun is 93 million miles away, but dust, gas clouds and other known objects that go through space never seem to get within the direction of the sun.

Based on your research of the heliocentric model, why would you expect that?

Now, that I've had a little time to actually compose a actual problem here is my question. How is it that clouds, that weigh thousands of KG's can defy gravity and float. According to the mainstream scientist, the water particles are too small to actually be affected by gravity.

I suspect you haven't researched this very well. Can you cite that 'mainstream' explanation?

Gravity is strong enough to hold in our atmosphere to our spinning ball PERFECTLY, yet it can't pull down a cloud? They do realize that our atmosphere and a cloud have a large amount of air particles in common.  Something doesn't seem accurate here.  THis is what doesn't make sense, Gravity is strong enough to hold planets that are traveling at MASSIVE speeds and have Massive velocities, yet it can't bring a cloud down or prevent birds from flying. Sorry, but that's not science, you can't test observe, or predict this outcome based on science taught in schools or even at higher levels. I agree with the Saudi clergy man that was just bashed around the world for claiming the earth doesn't spin. No experiment in the history of man has measured the movement of the earth and no airplane accounts for the spin of the earth. Yet this doesn't raise a flag in the minds of the scientific community?

Do some research. Find out how mainstream science actually explains this stuff, rather than how you imagine it does.

More like rather than how he is told by the flat earth gurus he follows on youtube.

I can say this because all his “inaccuracies” are the same talking points on youtube that are borne out of ignorance of actual facts and procedures, a missunderstanding of these facts when they are known, cherry picking and quote mining.

Spend 1 day with your nearest astronomy club and come back with your inaccuracies. Astronomy, not astrology. Completely different things.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 03:44:58 AM »
Do you really mean "astrology"?
Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events.
In my opinion astrology is purely superstitious rubbish.
Or do you mean "astronomy"?
Astronomy is a natural science that studies celestial objects and phenomena.

I've never seen that, but in my opinion the the Big bang is completely irrelevant to the basic  heliocentric solar system.
The  heliocentric solar system resulted from the work of Copernicus, Galileo, Tycho Brahe (though he believed in a geocentric globe) and finally Kepler. The theories of Newton gave a solid basis to it.

In any case the choice was between the earlier geocentric solar system of Ptolemy, etc and the heliocentric solar system.
The question of the earth's being flat never came into it.

So, no the "Heliocentric model and the Big bang" do not contradict, but that's quite irrelevant to the flat earth vs Globe or to the geocentric solar system vs heliocentric solar system question.

No it is not inaccurate. Your understanding of the heliocentric solar system might not be accurate but that's quite a different matter.
If you disagree you could start a thread to discuss your so-called inaccuracies.
But no scientist would ever claim that everything is known and I've read that if you want a Nobel Prize, just disprove Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.

Sure in the most recent measurements "they measured it based on the speed of light" but all earlier measurements were based on parallax observations.
This post has a bit of the history on the estimations/measurements of the distance to the sun,
THE DISTANCES (moon/sun) « Message by rabinoz on April 18, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »

Anf you might read this post again, 
Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model « Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:31 AM ».
One purpose of Captain Cooks first voyage was for astronomers to make observations of the "transit of Venus" from Tahiti.
Those measurements were part of a set of astronomical observations leading to the measurement of the distance to the sun.
The result was within 4% of the current value.

No, there's no problem. Space is very big and very empty. There are no dust clouds but there are solar flares.
Usually the content of the space around us is just the "solar wind":
At the orbit of the Earth, the solar wind has an average density of about 6 ions/cm3

No, that is quite incorrect! Clouds do not defy gravity - see later.
Obviously you have no idea what "the mainstream scientist" understands.

Gravity is strong enough to hold in our atmosphere to our spinning ball PERFECTLY, yet it can't pull down a cloud? They do realize that our atmosphere and a cloud have a large amount of air particles in common.  Something doesn't seem accurate here.
Well, it is quite accurate and quite well understood! But are you prepared for the explanation.

First the the clouds come from water evaporated from ground level - lakes, rivers, the oceans and damp ground.
Now water vapour is a lot less dense than so floats forming an updraft but finally reaches cooler air where the vapour condenses into the tiny droplets that form clouds.

The average droplet size in clouds is only from 10 to 15 microns (one micron is a millionth of a metre), though could range from 1 to 100 microns.
Such small droplets fall very slowly and are kept up by just a slight updraft.
This updraft is partly formed by the rising water vapour and partly from what are commonly called thermals.

So no-one claims that "the water particles are too small to actually be affected by gravity". They are affected by gravity, just as everything else is, but are lifted by an equal or greater force from the updrafts of water vapour and air.

THis is what doesn't make sense, Gravity is strong enough to hold planets that are traveling at MASSIVE speeds and have Massive velocities,
And these planets are travelling on huge almost circular paths and need exactly the gravitational force to keep them in orbit.

yet it can't bring a cloud down or prevent birds from flying. Sorry, but that's not science, you can't test observe, or predict this outcome based on science taught in schools or even at higher levels.
Clouds, we've dealt with and birds flying is again a case that gravity applies exactly the same force to a bird as to anything of that mass.
But the bird's wings provide the lift needed to counteract that force, just as an aircraft's wing provide the needed lift to counteract the weight - only the birds do it better and more efficiently.

That's the science that you can test, observe, and predict the outcome as is done in the design of aircraft, etc.

I agree with the Saudi clergy man that was just bashed around the world for claiming the earth doesn't spin.

No experiment in the history of man has measured the movement of the earth and no airplane accounts for the spin of the earth. Yet this doesn't raise a flag in the minds of the scientific community?

That is completely incorrect.

The rotation rate of the earth is really quite slow at 0.0007 rpm and not easy to measure.
These range from Foucault's gyroscope and pendulum, more modern marine gyro-compasses and gyro-theodilites to modern optical gyroscopes that measure the rotation rate very precisely.

I can't tell you what to believe. The best I can do it try to correct your false ideas ideas about the heliocentric solar system.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:23 AM »
FET states the sun is moving.

I do not recall whether or not FET has ever made any statement regarding a fixed or moving Venus.

Can you provide a quote regarding any FE proponent about the matter?

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 04:22:59 AM »

It is kind of hard to have a good discussion when you make so many outlandish claims regarding ancients and their technology.

I am convinced the ancients had technology available that is equal to that of today's technology, but not advanced beyond our current ability.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 05:02:30 AM »
FET states the sun is moving.

I do not recall whether or not FET has ever made any statement regarding a fixed or moving Venus.

Can you provide a quote regarding any FE proponent about the matter?
Let me refresh your memory on FET. May I assume that "The Flat Earth Society Wiki" is written by a "FE proponent"?

Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Planets
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Solar System
Q. What does the Solar System look like in FET?

A. In FET the planets are revolving around the sun, while the sun itself revolves around the Northern Hub.

Retrograde Motion
Q. Why do the planets retrograde in the sky?

A. Retrograde motion occurs from the fact that the planets are revolving around the sun while the sun itself moves around the hub of the earth. This particular path the planets take makes it appear as if several of them make a loop along their journeys across the night sky.

<< from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki, The Planets >>

"In FET the planets are revolving around the sun" and "planets retrograde in the sky" certainly mean that Venus, a planet, is moving.