Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model

• 31 Replies
Re: Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 03:40:24 PM »
As most of you know, I do most of the time argue for the flat Earth theory based on the lack of evidence for the heliocentric model. I am currently looking into the transit of Venus, as this seemly can't be real. According to the flat earth theory, the planets and stars are affixed to the firmament and the sun and moon are within such firmament. If this is true, how can we justify the so called transit of Venus in front of the sun. Any information from other flat earther's would be good. Lets have some good conversations.
FET states the sun is moving.

I do not recall whether or not FET has ever made any statement regarding a fixed or moving Venus.

Can you provide a quote regarding any FE proponent about the matter?
Let me refresh your memory on FET. May I assume that "The Flat Earth Society Wiki" is written by a "FE proponent"?

Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
The Planets
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Solar System
Q. What does the Solar System look like in FET?

A. In FET the planets are revolving around the sun, while the sun itself revolves around the Northern Hub.

Retrograde Motion
Q. Why do the planets retrograde in the sky?

A. Retrograde motion occurs from the fact that the planets are revolving around the sun while the sun itself moves around the hub of the earth. This particular path the planets take makes it appear as if several of them make a loop along their journeys across the night sky.

<< from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki, The Planets >>

"In FET the planets are revolving around the sun" and "planets retrograde in the sky" certainly mean that Venus, a planet, is moving.
But Venus and Mercury do not retrograde. thy appear to the left or to the right of the Sun.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Transit of Venus on the Flat Earth Model
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »
"In FET the planets are revolving around the sun" and "planets retrograde in the sky" certainly mean that Venus, a planet, is moving.
But Venus and Mercury do not retrograde. thy appear to the left or to the right of the Sun.
  • I was basing my "argument" on that  ;D infallible source ;D "The Flat Earth Society Wiki".

• But:
    Retrogrades: When Planets Go “Backward”

The planets, retrograde
    The most commonly-known retrograde is Mercury—planet of communication, transportation, travel and technology—which goes retrograde for three weeks, three or four times a year. During a Mercury retrograde cycle, arguments and misunderstandings rage, plans fall apart, cars break down, and computers crash suddenly. Astrologers advise precautions: back up your digital files before this period begins, postpone any deals, and plan to be repeat or explain yourself a few extra times.

Love planet Venus goes retrograde every 18 months, which can reveal any weak links in a relationship or bring back past paramours. Astrologers advise against proposals, weddings, and any major relationship moves during this 4-6 week period, although the tabloids are predictably peppered with celebrity breakups each time Venus goes rogue. Mars is retrograde every two years for about two months, which can stir up conflict and fighting. The “outer planets”—Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto—all go retrograde for four to five months every year. So forget about hiding under a rock, because most of the time at least one planet, if not more, is retrograde.

;) Are you suggesting that Astrologers might not know their planets?

Apparent retrograde motion
    All other planetary bodies in the Solar System also appear to periodically switch direction as they cross Earth's sky. Though all stars and planets appear to move from east to west on a nightly basis in response to the rotation of Earth, the outer planets generally drift slowly eastward relative to the stars. Asteroids and Kuiper Belt objects (including Pluto) exhibit apparent retrogradation. This motion is normal for the planets, and so is considered direct motion. However, since Earth completes its orbit in a shorter period of time than the planets outside its orbit, it periodically overtakes them, like a faster car on a multi-lane highway. When this occurs, the planet being passed will first appear to stop its eastward drift, and then drift back toward the west. Then, as Earth swings past the planet in its orbit, it appears to resume its normal motion west to east.

Inner planets Venus and Mercury appear to move in retrograde in a similar mechanism, but as they can never be in opposition to the Sun as seen from Earth, their retrograde cycles are tied to their inferior conjunctions with the Sun. They are unobservable in the Sun's glare and in their "new" phase, with mostly their dark sides toward Earth; they occur in the transition from morning star to evening star.
    << Apparent retrograde motion >>
    All planets do have periods when their motion would appear to be retrograde, but the inner planets do this when on the other side of the sun, so is unseen from earth.