Poll

What do you think about Hunting

I LOVE Hunting. I am a big player in the rhino horn and elephant ivory trade!
0 (0%)
I just hunt non endangered animals like deer, ducks and BullWinkles
5 (26.3%)
Hunting is despicable as a sport. It should only be done out of a neccessity for food or survival
9 (47.4%)
Killing animals is wrong. There is never any justification.
0 (0%)
I don't hunt but I support those that do (clarify what level you support)
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

What do you think about Hunting?

• 171 Replies

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: What do you think about Hunting?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 06:06:54 AM »
I love cats but feral cats are a huge problem and have no problem with them being killed.
Feral cats can be sterilized and/or relocated.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
I think the 'survival-thingy' is sort of a heritable murican neurological defect. Not sure though, but I can't explain it differently.

Anyway, if it's about survival I think it would be most important to know which plants are edible, how to start a fire from scratch, fishing, making traps and basic medical skills/knowledge. Killing animals with guns...yeah sure...best survival skill ever!

I know the ones you are thinking of, some of them are bat-shit crazy,  preparing for the coming apocalypse by stockpiling baked beans and ammunition.  That's not what I'm talking about, it's more a question of living in harmony with the natural world and understanding nature.   

Get out into the great outdoors and breathe that fresh mountain air.   :)

Νature is great, but I don't consider shooting up animals to be "living in harmony with the natural world".

It seems that you haven't seen much of the natural world in close up.    :)   

I shouldn't make fun of that attitude,  I am actually completely sympathetic to the view you are expressing,  but nature is not all butterflies and flowers.  There are predators out there as well.
No shit, why do you feel you have to participate in that? There is also a lot of rape and poop eating in nature, I'm not going to go around raping random animals and eating poo because they do it too.

First question: Do you eat meat?
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
I love cats but feral cats are a huge problem and have no problem with them being killed.

Or shot on sight because they kill native birds and small mammals.

Pezevenk

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »

Well then we should also shoot hunters on sight.

Well yes, but I'm trying to go vegetarian right now. I've more or less quit red meat and restricted animal products in general. But I don't think this is a good argument. Just because you eat dead animals doesn't mean you'd find it enjoyable to kill them.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »

Well then we should also shoot hunters on sight.

Well yes, but I'm trying to go vegetarian right now. I've more or less quit red meat and restricted animal products in general. But I don't think this is a good argument. Just because you eat dead animals doesn't mean you'd find it enjoyable to kill them.

Umm...  "enjoyable"   I don't think that you've quite understood the point I'm making.   But I don't blame you, you are so far removed from the source of the food you eat that I suspect you've never killed anything that you quite happily have eaten in the past,  that you are disconnected from the reality of where your food actually comes from.

As for shooting hunters,  now I know you are just trolling, if you knew the enviromental damage caused by feral cats you'd understand why they should be shot on sight.

If you want to eat chicken, by all means go ahead,  just stop hiding from the reality that someone had to kill and prepare that meal on your behalf.  Be grateful.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
if you knew the enviromental damage caused by feral cats you'd understand why they should be shot on sight.

But you must admit that according to this logic humans generally should be shot at sight. And cattle, too.

Pezevenk

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Umm...  "enjoyable"   I don't think that you've quite understood the point I'm making.   But I don't blame you, you are so far removed from the source of the food you eat that I suspect you've never killed anything that you quite happily have eaten in the past,  that you are disconnected from the reality of where your food actually comes from.
You'd be wrong. It' true that I haven't personally killed anything. Well, I did accidentally kill a bird when I was younger and it was a traumatic experience, I have no idea how anyone could take enjoyment out of it. But Greece overall isn't as urbanized as you may think. I know very well where food comes from. My fucking neighbor kills pigeons routinely to eat them for fuck's sake.

As for shooting hunters,  now I know you are just trolling, if you knew the enviromental damage caused by feral cats you'd understand why they should be shot on sight.
I know they cause damage. But in the areas where they are a problem, capturing them and sterilizing them, or, if the threat is too great, relocating them is a much better option.

If you want to eat chicken, by all means go ahead,  just stop hiding from the reality that someone had to kill and prepare that meal on your behalf.  Be grateful.
I'm about as grateful as I am grateful to companies using sweatshops to sell me stuff for cheap. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but I don't like it at all. Also I'm not trying to just eat chicken, I'm trying to quit all meat. Maybe I'll keep eating fish now and then. But it's not easy to make the transition instantly.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »
Holy shit, did you even read what he wrote? God damn m8. Your incapability of understanding basic texts reminds of bhs.

False propher answered this.
You're a huge hypocrite if you seriously want to make this point.
Especially considering that basically all those cats come from humans.

Noone is hiding this reality. You're just creating a strawman argument to rant against.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
Holy shit, did you even read what he wrote? God damn m8. Your incapability of understanding basic texts reminds of bhs.

False propher answered this.
You're a huge hypocrite if you seriously want to make this point.
Especially considering that basically all those cats come from humans.

Noone is hiding this reality. You're just creating a strawman argument to rant against.

I was answering the greek psycho,  not you,  so get back in your box. 

If you want to talk about the havoc caused by feral cats, I'd be more than happy to educate you.  I'm serious,  in Australia feral cats have all but wiped out some species. 

Here's a question for you. When was the last meal that you ate without relying on others to do the hard work for you?  I bet you'd starve if you had to feed yourself.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 09:04:42 AM »
if you knew the enviromental damage caused by feral cats you'd understand why they should be shot on sight.

But you must admit that according to this logic humans generally should be shot at sight. And cattle, too.

Some humans perhaps.  Rhino poachers certainly.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2015/02/australian-feral-cats-wreak-the-most-damage-to-species
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/publications/overview-impact-feral-cats-australian-native-fauna

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:08:16 AM by JerkFace »

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »

Some humans perhaps.  Rhino poachers certainly.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2015/02/australian-feral-cats-wreak-the-most-damage-to-species
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/publications/overview-impact-feral-cats-australian-native-fauna

The greatest damage for the environment are still humans and the animals they breed. Well, cats being one of them. But where I live feral cats mostly hunt mice and birds rather rarely, because cats are not well equipped for hunting birds.

I guess the impact of cats on the environment in Australia is due to the isolated nature of its fauna, that evolved without feline carnivores.

Pezevenk

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »
Why am I a psycho for disliking the killing of animals?

If you want to talk about the havoc caused by feral cats, I'd be more than happy to educate you.  I'm serious,  in Australia feral cats have all but wiped out some species. 
I don't question that they're causing harm. I'm saying there are other ways to deal with the harm, for cats at least. For mice there aren't really many alternatives than just killing them.

Here's a question for you. When was the last meal that you ate without relying on others to do the hard work for you?  I bet you'd starve if you had to feed yourself.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you make your own clothes? Did you build your own house? Did you make your own car? I don't understand what the argument is supposed to be. Unless you mean when I last cooked a meal, which again is a weird question and even more pointless.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »
Meat or in general?

Also, does everyone now has to be able to carry out every profession, just to not let others do the hard work?
That concept sounds stupid to me.

So that's how you handle posts that you cannot answer? You keep reminding me of bhs.

Member of the BOTD

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
For mice there aren't really many alternatives than just killing them.

In most places on earth that's what cats do all night. That's not a job for humans. Don tek away der joobs!

If Australia exists is an open question anyway.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
Why am I a psycho for disliking the killing of animals?

I don't question that they're causing harm. I'm saying there are other ways to deal with the harm, for cats at least. For mice there aren't really many alternatives than just killing them.

What does that have to do with anything? Do you make your own clothes? Did you build your own house? Did you make your own car? I don't understand what the argument is supposed to be. Unless you mean when I last cooked a meal, which again is a weird question and even more pointless.

Ok, so you have never killed,  cleaned and plucked  a chicken,  but you criticize those who do it on your behalf. 

If on the other hand you aren't actually being critical of those killing animals on your behalf, then you can't criticize people who hunt for food.

As far as building houses and cars go,  yes, someone actually has to do that as well.  Just because you don't have to do it yourself is not relevant.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Holy shit I cannot deal with that level of stupidity and ignorance.

Give me a fucking break and go kangaroo hunting for a bit.

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »

LOL.  cute.  I'm beginning to like you, so stop it.  :)

When you grow a brain, you can tell me how you can eat meat without someone killing an animal.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »

When you grow a brain, you can tell me how you can eat meat without someone killing an animal.
When did I say I eat meat?
When did anyone claim you could eat meat without killing?

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »

When did I say I eat meat?
When did anyone claim you could eat meat without killing?

Sigh...    kindergarten time.

1.  People eat meat.  maybe you don't but that's not relevant to the debate.
2.  Someone has to kill an animal to provide the meat. 
3.  If you think people shouldn't hunt animals for food,  but happily buy chicken from the supermarket you are a hypocrite.

Or maybe you one of those who thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows?

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
Rayzor, I firmly believe that you can be anything you want when you grow up. Please don't become a kindergarten teacher though.

Pezevenk

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
Ok, so you have never killed,  cleaned and plucked  a chicken,  but you criticize those who do it on your behalf. 

If I had, you'd probably call me a hypocrite. Look, I don't know why this concept is hard to grasp. There are things that benefit me, but I still think it's cruel to do them. I already tried to explain it with the sweatshop example. Now I don't think farmers are evil. They're doing their job, and while I think it's cruel I wouldn't criticize them. And because I think it's cruel, I'm trying to stop eating meat (for other reasons too, it's just one of many). But hey, it's their job. But hunters (most of them anyways) do it for sport, for their enjoyment. We were talking about them. I don't know why you had to shift the goal posts like that.

If on the other hand you aren't actually being critical of those killing animals on your behalf, then you can't criticize people who hunt for food.

You're shifting the goalposts again. Really tiresome.

As far as building houses and cars go,  yes, someone actually has to do that as well.  Just because you don't have to do it yourself is not relevant.
So why is it relevant that I don't hunt for my food?

3.  If you think people shouldn't hunt animals for food,  but happily buy chicken from the supermarket you are a hypocrite.
Yeah, that's also a false equivalency. Even though I don't think people who hunt because it's their job or something are bad in general, I still think they're bad if what they're doing impacts the ecosystem in a negative way.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »
Rayzor, I firmly believe that you can be anything you want when you grow up. Please don't become a kindergarten teacher though.

Funny you should say that,  I was thinking that kindergarten kids should be made aware of where their food comes from. 

I wonder how many kids don't actually know where their chicken McNuggets come from,  or the meat in their big macs?     

I they knew the truth they'd probably all turn vegetarian like User and DNO.  :)    (Sorry I meant DNS and Pez)

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »

If I had, you'd probably call me a hypocrite.

No quite the opposite,

Look, I don't know why this concept is hard to grasp. There are things that benefit me, but I still think it's cruel to do them. I already tried to explain it with the sweatshop example. Now I don't think farmers are evil. They're doing their job, and while I think it's cruel I wouldn't criticize them. And because I think it's cruel, I'm trying to stop eating meat (for other reasons too, it's just one of many). But hey, it's their job. But hunters (most of them anyways) do it for sport, for their enjoyment. We were talking about them. I don't know why you had to shift the goal posts like that.

So why are you distinguishing between farmers and hunters?   What factor is determining your attitude?

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.

Yeah, that's also a false equivalency. Even though I don't think people who hunt because it's their job or something are bad in general, I still think they're bad if what they're doing impacts the ecosystem in a negative way.

No it is in fact equivalent,  an animal is killed to provide meat in both cases.  You can't object to killing in one case and not the other.

I agree on your ecosystem comment.   

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »
Yeah, the factory slaughterhouses are disgusting.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Y'all realize animals in the wild never die of old age, right?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2018, 12:38:16 AM »
So I can come and kill you because you'd die of old age one day? Top notch logic, sir!

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2018, 12:40:02 AM »
So I can come and kill you because you'd die of old age one day? Top notch logic, sir!

I'd be careful,  them older Mooses ( Meeses)  can be dangerous when provoked.   :) 

Pezevenk

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
So why are you distinguishing between farmers and hunters?   What factor is determining your attitude?
For one it's a way to make a living, for the other it's a sport. For one it's a necessity, for the other it's just because they like killing animals. Also extra shittiness points if their hunting endangeres species. But not all farmers are saints either, some treat the animals in their farms awful and large scale farming is just as bad for the environment. I don't really like these people either.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy.
Where's the hypocrisy? It would be hypocritical if I was a hunter and still called them out.

No it is in fact equivalent,  an animal is killed to provide meat in both cases.  You can't object to killing in one case and not the other.

I agree on your ecosystem comment.
Well if you agree, why do you still think it's equivalent?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2018, 02:29:18 AM »
Sigh...    kindergarten time.

1.  People eat meat.  maybe you don't but that's not relevant to the debate.
2.  Someone has to kill an animal to provide the meat. 

Or maybe you one of those who thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows?
1) It is since you called us hypocritical. Get your arguments lined up and stop randomly throwing things in.
2) You so smart... you impress me every time! How have you found out?
3) Q.e.d. for 1)

Member of the BOTD

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2018, 04:03:08 AM »

Sure, that's exactly what I said.   ::)

Hunters don't murder the mommies and babies.
They typically take the old males that have been relieved of their siring duties by younger males.

Wolves and lions and disease get their share and are much less selective.

There's a reason things are called side dishes.