Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

• 10 Replies
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »
No matter what religion we all have, I think most of us can get behind the 9th commandment (or apparently maybe the 8th):
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"

What's that got to do with FE?

Here we are on the internet, sitting at our keyboards, mostly anonymous behind our forum avatars. Some of us are posting our thoughts about how our government, our teachers, and our entire scientific community has been lying to us for centuries. So yeah, FE is about lying. You can't separate the two.

Most of the FEs I've interacted with here on the FES seem like good people. I can't imagine that any of you are the type of person who would look your neighbor right in the eye and say, "I am calling  you a liar."

It's easy to think of astronauts, engineers, scientists, and government bureaucrats as nameless, faceless strangers. But they aren't. They are people. They are our neighbors. Their kids go to school with our kids. They go to the same churches that we do. When the national anthem plays at the ball game, they stand up beside us and take their hats off with us.

If you knew them, would you ever think to accuse them of being professional liars? Would you really start a campaign to slander them in public? Would you bear false witness against your neighbors if they weren't nameless strangers?

If you are going to publicly call somebody out as a liar, you need to have some real evidence of it. I know that many of you are completely convinced that all these people really are liars, but how many of you got that idea on your own? Did you witness these lies yourself, or did someone else provide the testimony that convinced you? Did someone bear witness that has turned you against your neighbors? What evidence do you really have that any of this is true? Are you really ready to bear witness against your neighbors?

These aren't just strangers on the internet. They are our neighbors.

Re: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
I grew up at Edwards Air Force Base/NASA Ames. My father worked on testing the saturn V. My girlfriend and her father worked at NASA. My brother's girlfriend's father was an X-15 pilot, one of two on our street and three at my school. Neil Armstrong lived in my town during astronaut training see the beginning of "The Right STuff" - I lived there and went to school with the kids of aeronautical engineers, test pilots literally rocket scientists. Neil Armstrong came to talk in at my high school science club meeting. I was in aerospace explorers and worked in college at the flight test center. My friend's father worked on space capsules. I got private personal tours of rocket test stands, flight lines, hangers, etc.

The idea that these people were cynical liars 24/7 in a town full of them is ridiculous. Many of them had flown above 50,000 feet. They would have noticed if their windows introduced curve when they were looking at something straight while on the ground, and no, they all didn't pop fisheye lenses on their cameras. It was pretty common that they took a camera with them when they went to unusually high altitude, I saw the pictures. I knew their kids.

It is also ridiculous to say they were fooled by a couple brilliant conspirators. Thesse people were not dumb, and had access to data that could be used as eratosthenes to measure curve of earth. There was no border between what they did and what the space program did, people were involved with both. Neil Armstrong flew X-15 and lived in my town. I say it's got to be all of NASA and the Air Force, and I further say it can't be.

Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
WTF?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:50:55 PM »
I grew up at Edwards Air Force Base/NASA Ames. My father worked on testing the saturn V. My girlfriend and her father worked at NASA. My brother's girlfriend's father was an X-15 pilot, one of two on our street and three at my school. Neil Armstrong lived in my town during astronaut training see the beginning of "The Right STuff" - I lived there and went to school with the kids of aeronautical engineers, test pilots literally rocket scientists. Neil Armstrong came to talk in at my high school science club meeting. I was in aerospace explorers and worked in college at the flight test center. My friend's father worked on space capsules. I got private personal tours of rocket test stands, flight lines, hangers, etc.

The idea that these people were cynical liars 24/7 in a town full of them is ridiculous. Many of them had flown above 50,000 feet. They would have noticed if their windows introduced curve when they were looking at something straight while on the ground, and no, they all didn't pop fisheye lenses on their cameras. It was pretty common that they took a camera with them when they went to unusually high altitude, I saw the pictures. I knew their kids.

It is also ridiculous to say they were fooled by a couple brilliant conspirators. Thesse people were not dumb, and had access to data that could be used as eratosthenes to measure curve of earth. There was no border between what they did and what the space program did, people were involved with both. Neil Armstrong flew X-15 and lived in my town. I say it's got to be all of NASA and the Air Force, and I further say it can't be.

While you are 100% correct,  you also need to consider the possibility that some other people have their own private versions of reality,  in their own mind they aren't lying but rather they think they have uncovered some deep hidden secret.

You can wave flat earthers off as nutters and loonies,  but in reality most of them are intelligent, funny and have a unique outlook on life.  Some of the more"traditional thinkers" that post on here are somewhat dry and lacking in a sense of humor.   

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
JERKFACE FOR FE!!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »

While you are 100% correct,  you also need to consider the possibility that some other people have their own private versions of reality,  in their own mind they aren't lying but rather they think they have uncovered some deep hidden secret.

You can wave flat earthers off as nutters and loonies,  but in reality most of them are intelligent, funny and have a unique outlook on life.  Some of the more"traditional thinkers" that post on here are somewhat dry and lacking in a sense of humor.

Do you have evidence to prove his life story on here? If not, your 100% correct is simply faith based and not evidence based

To me, his sob story sounds like a load of hogwash

RIP rabinoz. Forum legend

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
JERKFACE FOR FE!!

I'm hanging back till I see the T-Shirt.   :)

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »

Do you have evidence to prove his life story on here? If not, your 100% correct is simply faith based and not evidence based

You have no innate ability to judge what I choose to believe or why,  neither do you know what evidence I might have.  On the other hand,  you have no basis for calling it hogwash.

I think that's the whole point of this thread.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:45 PM »

You have no innate ability to judge what I choose to believe or why,  neither do you know what evidence I might have.  On the other hand,  you have no basis for calling it hogwash.

You have reading comprehension issues

I asked IF you had evidence to support his personal story. I was not judging. Only that if you have no evidence you are simply trusting on faith. But you stated he was 100% correct - which goes beyond that of trust and one of knowledge

And I only said it SOUNDS like hogwash. I didn't say that it was. So I didn't call him a liar. I simply said I don't believe it. There is a difference

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »

I asked IF you had evidence to support his personal story. I was not judging. Only that if you have no evidence you are simply trusting on faith. But you stated he was 100% correct - which goes beyond that of trust and one of knowledge

And I only said it SOUNDS like hogwash. I didn't say that it was. So I didn't call him a liar. I simply said I don't believe it. There is a difference

If you try harder you could be a pedant,  you have to learn to listen and read between the lines,  tune up that personality radar of yours. 

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »

you have to learn to listen and read between the lines,  tune up that personality radar of yours.

Sounds like good advice. Why don't you practice it?