Gravity & Atmosphere

• 25 Replies
?

jk12

• I hope you have a lovely day :)
Gravity & Atmosphere
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I mentioned this on another thingy but it wasnt answered as it seemed to be off topic. If everything is pushed down by acceleration and not gravity, then what keeps our atmosphere on top? 150ft of ice is not quite tall enough to hold all the air in
am I the only one here who breaks can openers?

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:09 PM »
Most FE'ers agree that the ice wall must be much more than 150 feet, in fact it must be several miles high at least. If I had to guess, I would say 30-50 miles.
the cake is a lie

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
Most FE'ers agree that the ice wall must be much more than 150 feet, in fact it must be several miles high at least. If I had to guess, I would say 30-50 miles.

How high is the atmosphere? That’s automatically how high the ice walls are, since the atmosphere is there because the ice wall is.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
ahh, and then there is the matter of the ice itself, the melting of it rather. Even if it only lost a drop of water a day wouldnt it all eventually go off into space?

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:25:09 PM »
Quote from: "jk12"
ahh, and then there is the matter of the ice itself, the melting of it rather. Even if it only lost a drop of water a day wouldnt it all eventually go off into space?

That is Global Warming:
Q: "How does global warming affect the ice wall?"

A1: Global warming is melting the ice wall, but the government isn't doing anything because cutting carbon emissions would damage the economy, and they only care about making money.

A2: Global Warming doesn't happen. It and its counter-theory (Global Cooling) are effects that cancel each other out. Remember, these "greenhouse gasses" can reflect heat back out into space as well as keep it on Earth. Yes, there are recorded rises in temperature, but the only records we have go back, at most, around 150 years. This is very likely an occurrence that happens every [x>150] years, that's happened before (perhaps many times), and that the Earth has thus survived before.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »
and if the earth is being pushed upwards and the ice is holding in the atmosphere, wouldnt that create a slight dip in the centre of the atmosphere? for instance you have a glass full of water and blow you'll see the water bulge on the sides

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:35:17 PM »
and if the earth is being pushed upwards and the ice is holding in the atmosphere, wouldnt that create a slight dip in the centre of the atmosphere? for instance you have a glass full of water and blow you'll see the water bulge on the sides

What’s your point? Can you prove there isn’t a dip?

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »
I can prove it, I can grab someone who has eyes and ask them to have a look at the sky

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
I can prove it, I can grab someone who has eyes and ask them to have a look at the sky

Really? What would it look like? A bend in the shape of the sky? HAH! You can’t see that, it is just as blue. And the sun, moon, stars would look the same anyway, because that was the way since the beginning; there is nothing to compare it to.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:52:19 PM »
well anyone who has been at sea or in an airplane can tell ya which way the slight bend is supposed to be

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:18:38 PM »
That may very well be a visual illusion.
I don't think there has to be a dip. Whether gravitation is caused by upward motion of the earth disk or some other force, I reckon the stress on the planetary surface is almost uniform all over the place, apart from at the outer extremities.
f scientists are so good at proof, lets see them prove science.

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:53 PM »
And anyway, the Earth is HUGE and the dip would be miniscule and basically impossible to detect.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:29:12 PM »
all this technology and we cant see the shape of our own sky, doesnt it make you wonder if the world isnt as corrupt as you think? Or do you just hate science as you consider it anti-christian?

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:35 PM »
I do not hate science. I object to the way it is so readily accepted as truth, and how it is allowed to invade our lives. If people base their way of life on religion, they're ignorant or fundamentalists. But if they base it on science, they're "illuminated". I think that's a very dangerous state of mind. Surely you can see that science is taking the world into a state that is hard to bear for all?
f scientists are so good at proof, lets see them prove science.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »
truth is individual to everyone, philosophically we find what works best for us, however that doesn't mean we can stick out heads in the ground and pretend some things do not exist.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 12:22:03 AM »

What?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 01:20:34 AM »
try it. get a glass of water and blow on it, you'll notice the water level is higher at the sides and lower in the middle, if the earth is indeed flat and surrounded by huge icewalls which hold the atmosphere the effect would be the same.

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 01:21:19 AM »
So, how did these ice walls come to be, precisely?
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
You will submit.

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 01:22:57 AM »
perhaps they were made by very determined eskimos

?

ZZT64

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 01:25:07 AM »
perhaps they were made by very determined eskimos

Or maybe they were never there at all?

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 01:25:47 AM »
precisely

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 01:29:51 AM »
Why, my friend, you hit it on the dot.
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
You will submit.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 05:48:06 AM »
try it. get a glass of water and blow on it, you'll notice the water level is higher at the sides and lower in the middle, if the earth is indeed flat and surrounded by huge icewalls which hold the atmosphere the effect would be the same.

Why would I blow on it?  What is that supposed to replicate?

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 05:48:40 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. Smammi"
So, how did these ice walls come to be, precisely?

They are a natural byproduct of subduction zones.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 09:19:29 PM »

The effect you describe is called a "meniscus" and doesn't get bigger when the fluid in question gets bigger.  Compare the meniscus in a glass of water to the meniscus in a large swimming pool, and you will find them not to significantly differ.  If there is a wall holding in our atmosphere, there would be no noticeable dip in the centre.

Even if there were a dip, it could only be measured by comparing the height of the atmosphere in the centre to that at the wall itself... which, to my knowledge, is not an experiment that has been performed to this date.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

jk12

Gravity & Atmosphere
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 12:34:53 AM »
how about......I know! none of this is real!!! :D