why do flat earthers ignore this

• 91 Replies
why do flat earthers ignore this
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
explain how hurricanes always spin counter-clockwise and in the northern hemisphere, and spin clockwise in the southern hemisphere, and also never cross the equator. how do you explain the Coriolis effect on a flat earth. if u cant answer this validly than why do you believe the earth is flat

Re: why do flat earthers ignore this
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
explain how hurricanes always spin counter-clockwise and in the northern hemisphere, and spin clockwise in the southern hemisphere, and also never cross the equator. how do you explain the Coriolis effect on a flat earth. if u cant answer this validly than why do you believe the earth is flat

Kyle, when you've spent more than a couple of minutes on this site, you'll realise that FEers ignore anything that they can't provide an answer to.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
Flat earthers don't ignore you.
They are just silent or deny anything they don't know or understand.
Which is just about anything or everything.
Welcome to The FES  ! :-(
Another question for you:
Why would anyone in the year 2018 evenThink that the earth was flat ?
I don't think there are any real flat earthers.
It's just kind of a pretend game that they love to play for some unexplained reason.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:13:59 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:26:39 AM »
t's just kind of a pretend game that they love to play for some unexplained reason.

That may be true in some cases. And that would also explain the lack of reply to the OP, as it would be game over!

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:50 AM »
I suggest you consider that currents in the ocean travel in different directions...

I also suggest you retract your false statement hurricanes never cross the equator.

Really

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:48 AM »
I suggest you consider that currents in the ocean travel in different directions...

I also suggest you retract your false statement hurricanes never cross the equator.

You are right to an extent... Hurricanes don't cross the equator due to the Coriolis effect.

Google search criteria;   "Coriolis effect"

of for the bold among you...

https://scholar.google.com

Using the same search criteria.

No trees have been harmed in the creation of this message.  However, numerous electrons have been horribly inconvenienced.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »

Ocean currents are influenced by other factors such that coriolis is not always the major force.

Once every couple of hundred years you may get a NH storm crossing the equator when other factors take precedence, such as monsoon winds or terrain.

Try to find an up to date synoptic chart showing wind behaving differently to that described by the OP.

Really

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »

Ocean currents are influenced by other factors such that coriolis is not always the major force.

Once every couple of hundred years you may get a NH storm crossing the equator when other factors take precedence, such as monsoon winds or terrain.

Try to find an up to date synoptic chart showing wind behaving differently to that described by the OP.

Aye right... find a FE to explain how a King Tide works :)   You will enjoy that discussion.

Incidentally, no hurricanes have crossed the equator.
No trees have been harmed in the creation of this message.  However, numerous electrons have been horribly inconvenienced.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
I suppose next you will be claiming that toilets flush in opposite directions when you cross the equator.  ::)

Really

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
I suppose next you will be claiming that toilets flush in opposite directions when you cross the equator.  ::)

Well, thanks for inserting thoughts into my head but, the Coriolis effect does not work at a micro level.  I've heard the arguments on both sides and while it is factual for extreme large bodies of matter, it is not so much factual for toilets and sinks.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »

Aye right... find a FE to explain how a King Tide works :)   You will enjoy that discussion.

Well that’s kind of right. But there was Vamei in 2001 which ended up straddling the equator. I only mentioned it because TotalSomeguy went full pedant.
So the OP remains unchallenged, I say.

Really

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »

Well that’s kind of right. But there was Vamei in 2001 which ended up straddling the equator. I only mentioned it because TotalSomeguy went full pedant.
So the OP remains unchallenged, I say.

Obviously, all I have to go by is what has been recorded.  I did look at the flimsy resource central (Wikipedia) and someone at least posted a listing of hurricanes and typhoons that got close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_near-Equatorial_tropical_cyclones

I'm sure we are splitting hairs here but, I would concede that if a powerful enough storm was traversing to cross the equator, it might have sufficient force to carry it over the equator but, it would eventually succumb to the effects we are discussing.  So, is there a magical hand that swoops down and kills a storm at the instant it touches the equator... very doubtful  :)

Ugly capture of the information listed:

Storm    Year    Basin    Minimum Latitude
Typhoon Sarah    1956    Northwest Pacific    1.7°N[1]
Typhoon Harriet    1959    Northwest Pacific    2.9°N[2]
Tropical Depression 02W    1972    Northwest Pacific    3.0°N[3]
Typhoon Kathy    1976    Northwest Pacific    2.3°N[4]
Tropical Storm Patsy    1977    Northwest Pacific    2.8°N[5]
Typhoon Alice    1978    Northwest Pacific    2.0°N[6]
Typhoon Dinah    1980    Northwest Pacific    2.4°N[7]
Typhoon Agnes    1984    Northwest Pacific    3.0°N[8]
Typhoon Nina    1987    Northwest Pacific    2.5°N[9]
Tropical Storm 01A    1991    North Indian    2.3°N[10]
Tropical Storm Vamei    2001    Northwest Pacific    1.4°N[11]
Moderate Tropical Storm 01    2002    South-West Indian    2.5°S[12]
Tropical Depression 07S    2002    Australian region    2.8°S[13]
Cyclone Agni    2004    North Indian    1.5°N[14]
Tropical Storm Peipah    2014    Northwest Pacific    1.8°N[15]
Tropical Depression Nine-C    2015    East Pacific    2.2°N[16]
Hurricane Pali    2016    East Pacific    2.0°N[17]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:56:13 AM by Really »

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Yes, you’re right IMHO.
To keep it simple you don’t even have to look at storms.
Any common or garden high or low sytem works the same way.
You can prove it by climbing a hill. Doesn’t need to be a big one.
Or even just look up at the clouds!

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »

What direction a hurricane spins has nothing to do with the shape of the earth.

Even if it did the wind must move differently around the middle of the flat earth than around the edge.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:16 PM »

Instead of just remaining silent because you really had nothing to say, you chose to say something stupid that doesn't even remotely address the OP. (AKA SPAM)

This is indicator #1 that you are a complete fool.  Even if you are just a troll pretending to be FE, trolling as a hobby is for fools, so you lose either way.

Really

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

Even if it did the wind must move differently around the middle of the flat earth than around the edge.

Yeah well, I'm still waiting for FE to prove the retarded notation of a flat earth :)   I live in New Zealand and well... there is no "edge" and there is certainly no dome.  There is no ice wall down here being patrolled by a mysterious group of men in black.  Besides... you would have to feed that lot of hungry MIBs and golly gee... I guess "they" are hiding all the ship manifests heading for the great ice wall.  Wow... I guess nobody ever gets sick, injured, or killed down there because Antarctica General Hospital probably doesn't stretch around the ice wall either.  Amazing... this whole other civilisation secretly patrolling the GREAT ice wall.

Incidentally, in all of history, I never heard about anyone or anything accidentally sailing off the edge of the earth or, having been turned away from it.  However, I do recall something about a Lost Tribe in North Carolina.  Is the GREAT ice wall connected to Roanoke Island?

Back to your original rambling though... If we are sitting on a flat plane, does the sun rotate as it rotates around us? Or, is it like a big, round, paper plate flashlight magically turns to face down on the earth because....   if it does not spin, we would see the backside of it after it passed overhead!  Ah there you go!  Proof!  Well, wait a minute... it would blind us and burn our faces off if we stared at it so let's use the moon as an example.  Is it magically facing us like a paper plate?  Is it magically delicious too?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
We have discussed numerous models over the last 11 years. Do you think that we have never discussed these questions? How about doing a search?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:07:44 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »

What does it have to do with?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 04:30:26 AM »
We have discussed numerous models over the last 11 years. Do you not think that we have never discussed these questions? How about doing a search?
Sure and look what I found  ;)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I would say that something that causes
          hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones to rotate in a counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and
          cyclones to rotate in a clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere,
is a rather major effect on a Global scale and if you've been through a cyclone or hurricane, I'm sure you'd agree.

Even when it comes to the ordinary weather patterns of Highs and Lows, something causes the four distinct situations observed for High and Low Pressure Weather systems,
These include the intense lows, Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones, in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Northern Hemisphere

Southern Hemisphere
Highs

Clockwise

Anti-clockwise
Lows

Anti-clockwise

Clockwise
Just look at weather maps that show highs, lows and wind directions to verify this for yourself.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
But seriously I have never seen any satisfactory flat explanation for those four situations.
Ski used claim the "Mach Principle" but even if the Mach Principle were true, and I don't believe it is, it still has no explanation for the reversed bevaviour of highs and lows and Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »
But seriously I have never seen any satisfactory flat explanation for those four situations.
Ski used claim the "Mach Principle" but even if the Mach Principle were true, and I don't believe it is, it still has no explanation for the reversed bevaviour of highs and lows and Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Feel free to come up with an explanation of your own if you don't like Ski's explanation, or any other explanation you find.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 05:29:05 AM »

Feel free to come up with an explanation of your own if you don't like Ski's explanation, or any other explanation you find.
An explanation on the flat stationary earth is not my problem, it's yours!

I have an explanation!
It's called the  ;) Coriolis Effect ;) as predicted by that smart fellow, ‎Gaspard-Gustave de Coriolis. That explains everything, so why look further?
Of course, it requires a rotating Globe, which presents a slight difficulty for those who believe the earth flat and stationary.

But that rotating Globe also conveniently explains the more easily observed Eötvös effect, so maybe there's something to be said for it.
The Eötvös effect was first thought to be an anomaly in gravimetric readings on a ship travelling over the same course but in the opposite directions.
But the physicist Baron Roland von Eötvös explained it as a predictable effect on the apparent g when travelling west-to-east compared to east-to-west.

Aircraft travel at much higher speeds and are smooth enough to be able to measyre small weight variations, as in the following video.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This is not quite relevant, but the measured weight changes are due to all of latitude, altitude and direction of flight.

Flat Earth vs Globe - The Eötvös effect observed in aircraft - how does it affect Gravity?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
We have discussed numerous models over the last 11 years. Do you think that we have never discussed these questions?
Of course those questions have been discussed over the years.  The problem is that no one has ever come up with reasonable answers to those questions.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »

Why not? You are the only person here who seems to have an interest in the matter.

No one is going to sit down with you and explain every single post that was discussed about celestial gears and gravitation. I am not interested in that.

If you don't have anything to contribute then your presence is just a waste.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:27:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
Maybe you should run back to the baby forum. You are washed up here.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »

Why not? You are the only person here who seems to have an interest in the matter.

No one is going to sit down with you and explain every single post that was discussed about celestial gears and gravitation. I am not interested in that.

I don’t think anyone is asking for you to explain every single post.
Just this one.
If you can’t then I must refer you to your own last sentence

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »

This is such typical Tom Bishop bullshit.

In reality, the earth is round and because of this, storm systems rotate a certain direction.

Tom, you being a pusher of the flat earth nonsense, should at least have some kind of explanation for this.  You don't.  Why?  because you are a fraud and the only thing you are capable of is double talk and complete and utter bullshit.  You are not even good at it, it is obvious that you are just dodging the question. 

My question is, why did you even bother to respond in the first place?  You said absolutely nothing at all and only served to further confirm that you are full of shit.

THEREALDILL23

• A dreamer and a logical powerhouse
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
I love how everyone brings negativity with them when trying to open a discussion up. IF you have a question, don't put such negative connotations when asking it. There is more than one perspective to the world around us, respect one another as not all flat earthers are ignorant. The flat earth "Theory"  is not a complete one yet, as not everything has been explained. The believers in the "Globe model" have literally numerous sources and many years of lies built upon one another to explain one another.   I will try to give some insight into this matter. The  Coriolis effect has nothing to do with the rotation of the earth and doesn't require a globe. In fact the example of water being drained clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and counterclockwise in the south has no part of this effect. Why? Because according to scientist today, the distance is not large enough to be notice able.( Also please note you can have water flow ether way in ether hemisphere.) The  Coriolis  effect was termed a "Psudo force" in other words: a correction factor in Newtons laws. The only problem with this is the fact that the Earth's movement has never been measured at all. Numerous studies have been done to prove the aether exist and they say Einstein's law of relativity removes the need for the aether.  What I am pointing out is science has a lot of circular reasoning in it and no one seems to notice.  But back to the other part of the question regarding hurricanes. How do any one here know what direction they turn? A computer generated model. I could go on but I wont. 
Not you or me or nobody hits harder than life, but its not about how hard you can hit; it about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. Take the punches and keep moving forward. THAT"S HOW WINNING IS DONE!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
Are you saying that FE'ers have no interest in figuring out how weather on the flat earth works?  ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
How do any one here know what direction they turn? A computer generated model.
Try turning the computer off and actually go outside!

I could go on but I wont.

Please don’t.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
Are you saying that FE'ers have no interest in figuring out how weather on the flat earth works?  ???

We've already discussed these topics over many years. My contribution is done. Why should we need to hang around here and answer the same questions and have the same discussions again and again?

If you and rabinoz have an interest in these topics, then the responsibility is solely on you guys to discuss among yourselves the topic and its possibilities. There are no "FE'ers" to talk to or debate against. The forum's implication that you are coming here to talk to Flat Earthers is false. We are not interested in having the same conversation over and over and over and over.

We are not at all interested in having a conversation with you, any more than we are interested in teaching computer science to a homeless person.