Poll

What is the best solution to the death of the Boy Scouts as we know it?

Just accept it, change the name to Soy Scouts and carry on.
The real boys should start their own group  and use the now available name Boy Scouts.
The real boys should start an even harder core group and call themselves The Spartans
Just accept it and change the name to The Adventuring Do-Gooders
Just accept it and change the name to The Super Adventure Club
Goy Scouts
I AM SPARTACUS
I haven't a clue what you're talking about

RIP Boy Scouts

• 110 Replies
?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
Re: RIP Boy Scouts
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
I went to the auto parts place today.
Needed an idle air control valve.

Price was $XXX
I told him I can get it for $X on Amazon.

He said he could do it for $XX.
I told him I can get it for $X on Amazon.

He sold it to me for $X.

Prices are determined by the buyer.
If the government felt that the idle air control valves market was getting too hot they could implement a policy that only American citizens could buy them. If foreigners wanted one they would have to pay a 47% tax. This would reduce demand which in turn could reduce the price or at least slow it's ascent. This is one of the many ways that governments love to meddle in the real estate market.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:38 PM »
If the government felt that the idle air control valves market was getting too hot they could implement a policy that only American citizens could buy them.

Ha ha, on Amazon they say there are countries they can't ship the part to.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
I am talking about the land going up in costs. 30 years ago a large piece of land may have cost $2000. Now, you would only get half the piece of land for more than $200,000. Same area. There is nothing about the land that. I get inflation goes up. However $2000 back in the day was far more affordable to 'pay off' than $200K+ when you factor in the rising costs of living for everything else.

Frankly, house prices are way too excessive and could easily be mitigated by curbing the rising land values. This would mean peoples investment wouldn't 'lose' value (but wont rise up much either) and would give the next generation a chance to 'catch up'. Why is it that I could do nothing to my house but somehow its worth over $100K more than what it was 8 years ago?

Society is shooting themselves in the foot. There should be a shift away from viewing houses as money making investment tools and more for actual places to live. When you have an entire generation of people where most will be forever in debt to a bank (or intergenerational where your kids finish the mortgage) that is not healthy for the economy as a whole
I doubt this. Either you're talking about urban land prices, which have very obvious reasons for why they're rising. Or you're just taking the piss. Going by my previous reference of 1980 for index=100, the index for land prices (here in sweden) is about 777. Adjusting for inflation, that is an increase of roughly 140%. A big increase, for sure, but nothing like a 2000$ estate being inflated to 200,000$ in 30 years with "nothing" special about the land. And that index is mostly driven up by the crazy inflation of prices in urban areas.

Of course it's not good when the real estate market is seen as a toy that investers can play around with for the sole purpose of earning cash. That's why there are regulations and taxes in place to discourage transactions with the aim of turning a profit. Not saying that the regulations and taxes in place is the best way of doing things, but that's partly why they're there.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
Why is it so hard to understand how the government can artificially modulate inflation, property values and any other commodity that a household needs to thrive?

Why is it so hard to understand when inflation and cost of living take off many times over the median income it makes survival all but impossible for the average family?
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:19 PM »
I am talking about the land going up in costs. 30 years ago a large piece of land may have cost $2000. Now, you would only get half the piece of land for more than $200,000. Same area. There is nothing about the land that. I get inflation goes up. However $2000 back in the day was far more affordable to 'pay off' than $200K+ when you factor in the rising costs of living for everything else.

Frankly, house prices are way too excessive and could easily be mitigated by curbing the rising land values. This would mean peoples investment wouldn't 'lose' value (but wont rise up much either) and would give the next generation a chance to 'catch up'. Why is it that I could do nothing to my house but somehow its worth over $100K more than what it was 8 years ago?

Society is shooting themselves in the foot. There should be a shift away from viewing houses as money making investment tools and more for actual places to live. When you have an entire generation of people where most will be forever in debt to a bank (or intergenerational where your kids finish the mortgage) that is not healthy for the economy as a whole
I doubt this. Either you're talking about urban land prices, which have very obvious reasons for why they're rising. Or you're just taking the piss. Going by my previous reference of 1980 for index=100, the index for land prices (here in sweden) is about 777. Adjusting for inflation, that is an increase of roughly 140%. A big increase, for sure, but nothing like a 2000$ estate being inflated to 200,000$ in 30 years with "nothing" special about the land. And that index is mostly driven up by the crazy inflation of prices in urban areas.

Of course it's not good when the real estate market is seen as a toy that investers can play around with for the sole purpose of earning cash. That's why there are regulations and taxes in place to discourage transactions with the aim of turning a profit. Not saying that the regulations and taxes in place is the best way of doing things, but that's partly why they're there.

My mum had a house when I was born 36 years ago. It was less than $30K. That same house is now worth at least $450ishK. What component do you think was the land and what is the construction cost?

Perhaps it is different in America....

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
Why is it so hard to understand how the government can artificially modulate inflation, property values and any other commodity that a household needs to thrive?

Why is it so hard to understand when inflation and cost of living take off many times over the median income it makes survival all but impossible for the average family?

yeah, every year I get an UV (unimproved value) assessment done on my block. Every year it magically rises for no reason at all. What does the government get out of it? The ability to charge me higher rates (tax) year after year.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »

Of course it's not good when the real estate market is seen as a toy that investers can play around with for the sole purpose of earning cash.

Damn capitalists willing to risk their money on a speculative investment.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2018, 02:58:15 AM »

Of course it's not good when the real estate market is seen as a toy that investers can play around with for the sole purpose of earning cash.

Well, notice the word "toying". It's fine when the investers develop the estate, but it can hurt the market price if they decide to buy an estate and then artifically inflate the price without developing it, or just hold on to it until someone is willing to buy it at a high price. The speculative investor is the only winner in that scenario, both the original seller and final buyer would have benefitted from interacting and doing business directly with each other, without the speculative investor as a middle man that just saps out money. And if they are renting out the estate, they should be transparent when they decide to sell off the estate to a new owner so that the resident(s) can prepare themselves if they'd need to move out or if rent might rise.

It's not hard to understand that government can artificially modulate inflation. It's hard to belive that it's the main factor driving up costs when any cost related to government regulations etc. is less than 10% of the cost to construct new houses and when it's clear that more people see estate as something to hold on to even if you move, because you can rent it out and eventually sell it at a higher price. It's especially lucrative in cities, where land doesn't grow but the population does grow. Can you describe exactly how your government is inflating the prices of real estate, preferably by using math and references so it's more than just wild guesses. And something that is a bit general, don't just take a single estate and use it to represent the whole market.

I'ts also really hard to understand why the government would inflate prices because more women are working.

My mum had a house when I was born 36 years ago. It was less than $30K. That same house is now worth at least $450ishK. What component do you think was the land and what is the construction cost?

Perhaps it is different in America....
1. Is it in an urban area?
2. What is the price increase, adjusting for inflation where you live(So that we don't use swedish inflation for US prices)?
3. Any renovations? Other improvements? Any nearby developments?

Ok, so the "land price index" I cited for sweden was actually real estate index I just realised. That's fine, doesn't change anything in that post and I can kinda use it for comparison here.

36 years ago was 1982. The real estate index for that year is roughly 770. The index for your mum's house is roughly 1500. So adjusting for the inflation of real estate values, the house doubled in value (compared to other real estate). Adjusting for consumer price index (swedish, not US), the usual measure of inflation, the value roughly tripled. This is probably highly inaccurate becasue I'm using swedish index for reference, but at least we can get a ballpark estimate. The value definitely increased, I would guess it didn't increase more in value than five-fold though (which is still quite a bit).
Now, what regulations and taxes do YOU think could have increased the value by that much? As i said to BHS, please use references and then build upon them with math to reach conclusive price-effects of whatever the government uses to inflate prices.

But don't you have roofs on real-estate taxes? In sweden the yearly tax is 0.75% of the assessed value, but no more than 7687 SEK (roughly 881 USD) for estate with single-family homes. So there's no point for the government to try to artificially inflate the values of real estate.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2018, 03:28:34 AM »

Well, notice the word "toying". It's fine when the investers develop the estate, but it can hurt the market price if they decide to buy an estate and then artifically inflate the price without developing it, or just hold on to it until someone is willing to buy it at a high price. The speculative investor is the only winner in that scenario, both the original seller and final buyer would have benefitted from interacting and doing business directly with each other, without the speculative investor as a middle man that just saps out money. And if they are renting out the estate, they should be transparent when they decide to sell off the estate to a new owner so that the resident(s) can prepare themselves if they'd need to move out or if rent might rise.

If a home is purchased for $100,000 and held for 5 years to be sold for $135,000
it is no different than the original owner holding the property for the additional 5 years
and selling it for $135,000

Or, if the market turns tits up, it sells for $85,000

Poor people can't buy expensive things.

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2018, 04:32:46 AM »

Only because of government interference.  Otherwise they would all have maids (even the maids) and women could stay at home knitting petticoats (apart from the maids), or whatever it is they get up to when they don't have to work.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2018, 04:35:08 AM »
If a home is purchased for $100,000 and held for 5 years to be sold for $135,000
it is no different than the original owner holding the property for the additional 5 years

Well, that's not always what happens. An investor can buy an estate that's going to increase drastically in price in a couple of years, and then refuse to sell it to people who want to develop or use the estate until the price has increased. This works because everyone deals with estate this way, there's not going to be any alternative estate in the nearby area that will suffice, or there won't be enough at least (in case there is, that's a bad investment). It's about selling the estate at the right time at the right price, not about selling it as soon as a customer turns up and you can turn a profit.

And there is a difference in your example. The original owner loses out on $35 000, for no real benefit. It is unlikely that the price would suddenly drop without any warning so selling quickly to an investor isn't really much more of a safe bet than simply holding onto the property. The only benefit might be that the investor might be available right at the moment and you might not have to hassle with a realtor. But there might have been a buyer who actually wanted to use the estate for something during those 5 years available, so the final buyer might have been able to save $35 000 if the investor didn't bought the estate before them. Short-term investors bring up the demand by buying estate they won't use, and decrease supply by refusing to sell the estate for a few years until prices increase from this meddling with the supply and demand.

When in doubt; sources!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »

Well, that's not always what happens. An investor can buy an estate that's going to increase drastically in price in a couple of years, and then refuse to sell it to people who want to develop or use the estate until the price has increased. This works because everyone deals with estate this way, there's not going to be any alternative estate in the nearby area that will suffice, or there won't be enough at least (in case there is, that's a bad investment). It's about selling the estate at the right time at the right price, not about selling it as soon as a customer turns up and you can turn a profit.

And there is a difference in your example. The original owner loses out on $35 000, for no real benefit. It is unlikely that the price would suddenly drop without any warning so selling quickly to an investor isn't really much more of a safe bet than simply holding onto the property. The only benefit might be that the investor might be available right at the moment and you might not have to hassle with a realtor. But there might have been a buyer who actually wanted to use the estate for something during those 5 years available, so the final buyer might have been able to save $35 000 if the investor didn't bought the estate before them. Short-term investors bring up the demand by buying estate they won't use, and decrease supply by refusing to sell the estate for a few years until prices increase from this meddling with the supply and demand.

If you want to buy a home you offer the owner some money. If the owner and you agree on a price a deal is done.

Property is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay.

You appear to be arbitrarily assigning evil to owners and victim to buyers.

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2018, 05:39:12 AM »
Short-term investors bring up the demand by buying estate they won't use, and decrease supply by refusing to sell the estate for a few years until prices increase from this meddling with the supply and demand.
Which works until it doesn't.  If prices start spiralling down then you're fucked.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »
If you want to buy a home you offer the owner some money. If the owner and you agree on a price a deal is done.

Exactly.

No. You appear to not read my posts properly.

Imagine an estate is being sold, and there are 5 potential buyers (long term investors) who want to use that estate. However, let's say that a sixth person (short term investor) joins in, but that person does not need to use the estate for anything. Whereas before it was a competition between 5 people, it is now a competition between 6 people, one of which doesn't want to use the estate. Now, let's imagine that the short term investor manages to buy the estate. Now we still have 5 long term investors that want or maybe even need real estate for some use. Meanwhile, had one of the long term investors bought the estate, we'd have 4 long term investors that want or need estate, and the short term investor that doesn't actually need any estate will either drop out of the local demand, or maybe stay, who knows. But let's continue with the scenario where short term investor wins. The estate is not going to be developed, and the short term investor will not sell the estate until it rises in price.

Let us now say that there's a second estate at sale (not at the same time as the first one, but after, for simplicity). Without the short term investor there'd be 4 people competing for this second estate, as one already got the first estate. This second estate should sell for a little less, as there is less demand, than the first estate. The result of this scenario is that two people that wanted or needed estate to use got it, one possibly got it a little cheaper than the other, and we have three people who still want or need estate to use. If the short term investor was present during the selling of the first estate but lost interest in the second, the first estate would had been slightly more expensive because of increased demand for it. The short-time investor isn't in need for real estate, so there should be no harm for dropping out of the competition unless it's how he earns his whole living.

Let's bring in the short term investor for the second estate though, in the scenario where they do not get the first estate. Now the second estate should be sold for about the same price as the first estate would had been sold for without the short-term investor. If the short-term investor fails to get the estate again, then we'd have almost the same result as without the short-time investor. But not quite. Both estates would had sold for a little more, we'd still have 3 people that want or need estate to use and one person who's at worst annoyed, unless they're betting their livelihood on it.

Let's say that the short time investor gets the first estate. Now the second estate should sell for the same price that the first estate would had sold for if the short time investor wasn't involved. Then after x years short term investor sells the estate, unchanged, to one of the 4 remaining people who still needs or wants estate to use. The result is that one person got to buy an estate at full price (which it what I'll call the price of the first estate without short time investor) and the other got to pay for overprice (price of first estate with short time investor involved) plus inflated price over time. Then we still have 3 long term investors. And one happy short time investor.

Same thing with the second estate. One has to pay overprice, another has to pay full price plus inflation over time. 3 long term investors left and once again a happy short time investor.

This is obviously very oversimplified, but I think it's clear that the original owners and the final buyers do not profit, but are losing out, because of short-time investors. Original owners can earn a little since they get to sell at a higher price when there is a higher demand thanks to the short time investor. But investors will try to get the buying done BEFORE the real demand kicks in, it's possible that the original owner could had sold it a couple of months later for a bit of a better price when the real demand would had kicked in. But in the cases where the short time investor doesn't manage to buy any estate and they aren't actually in need of estate they are jacking up prices when there is no "real" demand for it, kind of like bidding for the sake of provoking a bidding war (of course they're really trying to get the estate. The point is that they're not "consumers", they do not need or want the estate, they just want to buy it and then sell it, so they do not accurately represent what a consumer wants to pay for estate). And I'm not going to say that they are evil or immorally greedy, they are just taking advantage of how the real estate market works and they're not actively trying to hurt other people economically. Prices increase more than they need to and makes it tougher for people who really just wants or needs estate to put to actual use to get that estate. This means fewer people who can afford own houses in good places, which could limit their productivity, and fewer people who can open up new businesses.

Which works until it doesn't.  If prices start spiralling down then you're fucked.
Yes. But that doesn't exactly make short term investments better for the economy.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
Yes. But that doesn't exactly make short term investments better for the economy.
*shrug* welcome to capitalism.  All you can do is somehow regulate against it...which is, of course, gubberment interference.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
*shrug* welcome to capitalism.  All you can do is somehow regulate against it...which is, of course, gubberment interference.
Yup. Dam gubberment interfering with my abuse of the economy.

When in doubt; sources!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:04 AM »

Exactly.

No. You appear to not read my posts properly.

Imagine an estate is being sold, and there are 5 potential buyers (long term investors) who want to use that estate. However, let's say that a sixth person (short term investor) joins in, but that person does not need to use the estate for anything. Whereas before it was a competition between 5 people, it is now a competition between 6 people, one of which doesn't want to use the estate. Now, let's imagine that the short term investor manages to buy the estate. Now we still have 5 long term investors that want or maybe even need real estate for some use. Meanwhile, had one of the long term investors bought the estate, we'd have 4 long term investors that want or need estate, and the short term investor that doesn't actually need any estate will either drop out of the local demand, or maybe stay, who knows. But let's continue with the scenario where short term investor wins. The estate is not going to be developed, and the short term investor will not sell the estate until it rises in price.

Let us now say that there's a second estate at sale (not at the same time as the first one, but after, for simplicity). Without the short term investor there'd be 4 people competing for this second estate, as one already got the first estate. This second estate should sell for a little less, as there is less demand, than the first estate. The result of this scenario is that two people that wanted or needed estate to use got it, one possibly got it a little cheaper than the other, and we have three people who still want or need estate to use. If the short term investor was present during the selling of the first estate but lost interest in the second, the first estate would had been slightly more expensive because of increased demand for it. The short-time investor isn't in need for real estate, so there should be no harm for dropping out of the competition unless it's how he earns his whole living.

Let's bring in the short term investor for the second estate though, in the scenario where they do not get the first estate. Now the second estate should be sold for about the same price as the first estate would had been sold for without the short-term investor. If the short-term investor fails to get the estate again, then we'd have almost the same result as without the short-time investor. But not quite. Both estates would had sold for a little more, we'd still have 3 people that want or need estate to use and one person who's at worst annoyed, unless they're betting their livelihood on it.

Let's say that the short time investor gets the first estate. Now the second estate should sell for the same price that the first estate would had sold for if the short time investor wasn't involved. Then after x years short term investor sells the estate, unchanged, to one of the 4 remaining people who still needs or wants estate to use. The result is that one person got to buy an estate at full price (which it what I'll call the price of the first estate without short time investor) and the other got to pay for overprice (price of first estate with short time investor involved) plus inflated price over time. Then we still have 3 long term investors. And one happy short time investor.

Same thing with the second estate. One has to pay overprice, another has to pay full price plus inflation over time. 3 long term investors left and once again a happy short time investor.

This is obviously very oversimplified, but I think it's clear that the original owners and the final buyers do not profit, but are losing out, because of short-time investors. Original owners can earn a little since they get to sell at a higher price when there is a higher demand thanks to the short time investor. But investors will try to get the buying done BEFORE the real demand kicks in, it's possible that the original owner could had sold it a couple of months later for a bit of a better price when the real demand would had kicked in. But in the cases where the short time investor doesn't manage to buy any estate and they aren't actually in need of estate they are jacking up prices when there is no "real" demand for it, kind of like bidding for the sake of provoking a bidding war (of course they're really trying to get the estate. The point is that they're not "consumers", they do not need or want the estate, they just want to buy it and then sell it, so they do not accurately represent what a consumer wants to pay for estate). And I'm not going to say that they are evil or immorally greedy, they are just taking advantage of how the real estate market works and they're not actively trying to hurt other people economically. Prices increase more than they need to and makes it tougher for people who really just wants or needs estate to put to actual use to get that estate. This means fewer people who can afford own houses in good places, which could limit their productivity, and fewer people who can open up new businesses.

So, instead of selling to the highest bidder, the seller should take it in the ass and sell to someone who offers less?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »
Take it in the ass for America!

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »
So, instead of selling to the highest bidder, the seller should take it in the ass and sell to someone who offers less?
No. Rather, the highest bidder shouldn't have joined if they're not actually interested in the asset and are just planning to hold on to it for a few years without doing anything with it as it passively increases in price so that he can sell it to those who are actually interested in the asset at a higher price.

When in doubt; sources!

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
No. Rather, the highest bidder shouldn't have joined if they're not actually interested in the asset and are just planning to hold on to it for a few years without doing anything with it as it passively increases in price so that he can sell it to those who are actually interested in the asset at a higher price.
Why do you consider that abuse? By what set of values? The whole world turns on people buying something hoping to sell it for more. I really want to know what your basis is for calling that abuse?

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
Why do you consider that abuse? By what set of values? The whole world turns on people buying something hoping to sell it for more. I really want to know what your basis is for calling that abuse?
I was just joking in that post, I don't consider it abuse.

Of course turning profits drives the economy. The problem is that housing is not just a product, it's a necessity, and it doesn't behave as well as other assets. You need somewhere to live. People who can't afford housing cant afford spending money on other wares too. Also, the act of purchasing something to sell it at a higher price later can come with benefits, that are not as strong in the estate market. For example it solves logistics. It's worthwhile to buy from a store rather than directly from a factory because they gather everything together and bring it closer to you. Stores are also more reliable buyers for factories, so they get quantity discounts that allows the store to keep the price a bit closer to what a factory could charge individuals. You don't solve this with short time investors. The estate stays where it is and remains as available as it did before. Now if someone bought some estate and somehow changed it, either by renovating or by flattening the land, then it saves someone else the time and hassle to do it themselves. The investor earns money and the buyer saves time and work, there's a benefit that helps both parts and the economy. If the investor also rents out the estate it can be beneficial, it allows people who need some estate to use, but cannot afford to buy estate, to get access to estate. It can be a problem if the investor only bought the estate for the sake of selling it in a couple of years and don't care who they sell it to, because the new owner might not want to keep renting out the estate. As long as the investor is honest with their intentions it shouldn't be a problem, but not everyone cares quite as much for the residents as they care about making as much money as possible out of the estate. A resident that knows that the estate is going to be sold off in a couple of years might not be as tempted in renting.

When in doubt; sources!