Explain this, Flat Earthers

• 5 Replies
?

pantalaimon

Explain this, Flat Earthers
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »
How can there ALWAYS be two places on earth, one with a sunset and the other with a sunrise, IF the earth is flat??

I'm in south america... How the hell could i travel to europe trough the atlantic ocean, and the pacific-asia way and didnt crash with this ice wall??

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Explain this, Flat Earthers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:31:36 PM »
Quote from: "pantalaimon"
How can there ALWAYS be two places on earth, one with a sunset and the other with a sunrise, IF the earth is flat??

The sun acts as a spotlight.  But you already knew that since you read the FAQ before you posted.
I'm in south america... How the hell could i travel to europe trough the atlantic ocean, and the pacific-asia way and didnt crash with this ice wall??

Because the ice wall is in the south of the FE.  Traveling from South America to Europe means you went north-east.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:10:39 AM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
The sun acts as a spotlight.

If the sun is round it couldn't act like a "spotlight". It would deliver light in all directions.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

midgard

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
Quote from: "Xargo"
If the sun is round...

I don't think I need to add to this.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "Xargo"
If the sun is round it couldn't act like a "spotlight". It would deliver light in all directions.

The bulbs in real spotlights are (or at least, can be) round, and yet real spotlights do not emit light in all directions.  This is because there are other processes going on in real spotlights that cause light going in certain directions  to be blocked.  Similarly, if the Sun acts as a spotlight, there must be processes in the Sun that cause light going in certain directions to be blocked.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

midgard

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
The bulbs in real spotlights are (or at least, can be) round, and yet real spotlights do not emit light in all directions.  This is because there are other processes going on in real spotlights that cause light going in certain directions  to be blocked.  Similarly, if the Sun acts as a spotlight, there must be processes in the Sun that cause light going in certain directions to be blocked.

Here's something off the top of my head. Looking at the dimensions and location of the Sun in Flat Earth wouldn't most of the the light be reflected off the Earth's atmosphere?