Explanation needed video showing land beyond horizon

• 11 Replies
Explanation needed video showing land beyond horizon
« on: April 13, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
In this video, discovery channel measures how much Earth curves at given distances using a telescope over water.

And as you hear from flat earthers again and again and again that "water finds it own level" (which is technically incorrect lol), you'll find that at the shore line, the helicopter clearly goes below.

The telescope is mounted straight and the helicopter goes below the horizon over water so the water curves. Proven categorically here.

But what's baffling me is the land you can see beyond the horizon.

(from 6m 42s)

If that's the horizon line (where helicopter goes below) then what's behind it? Have I missed something like the water line not being the actual horizon but just the curvature and beyond it is high lands i.e. not sea level?

Re: Explanation needed video showing land beyond horizon
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
In this video, discovery channel measures how much Earth curves at given distances using a telescope over water.

And as you hear from flat earthers again and again and again that "water finds it own level" (which is technically incorrect lol), you'll find that at the shore line, the helicopter clearly goes below.

The telescope is mounted straight and the helicopter goes below the horizon over water so the water curves. Proven categorically here.

(from 6m 42s)

If that's the horizon line (where helicopter goes below) then what's behind it? Have I missed something like the water line not being the actual horizon but just the curvature and beyond it is high lands i.e. not sea level?

I know that it's edited for television and therefore has to be as simple as possible, but as an experiment the laser portion is at best poorly presented and at worst poorly designed.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »

I know that it's edited for television and therefore has to be as simple as possible, but as an experiment the laser portion is at best poorly presented and at worst poorly designed.

I agree that the experiment itself is not perfect and also has the element of trying to make it entertaining more than educational but the view in the telescope is what confused me and as crazy as this forum is, there are some smart people here so I hope someone can answer.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
Nothing screams integrity like a robot voice.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »

(from 6m 42s)

There is no "laser portion" in the segment from 6m 42s that you were directed to.

Helicopter visible above water 'level'

Helicopter disappeared  below water 'level'

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »

There is no "laser portion" in the segment from 6m 42s that you were directed to.

There is quite a lengthy portion at the beginning of the video describing an experiment using a laser.

That would be the "laser portion" to which I am referring.

But you knew that already.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
Have I missed something like the water line not being the actual horizon but just the curvature and beyond it is high lands i.e. not sea level?

Exactly that. It's just a lake and the higher land beyond the far shore is visible.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
Cheating the experiment has been detected!

The device isn't placed horizontal.

it's almost a miracle to see beyond 500 meters  by a device has that angle! Like a childs joke!  ;D

DISPROVEN!

Explanation is done!

Explanation need is eliminated.  8)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:44:28 AM »
Cheating the experiment has been detected! The device isn't placed horizontal.
Incorrect!
  • That is the laser not the telescope!
  • Who even claims that it was levelled when that scene was videoed?
Quote from: brotherhood of the dome
[img width=300
http://i68.tinypic.com/302nfiq.png[/img]
Totally irrelevant. The screenshot you show is from 0:21 in the video and is obviously the laser not the telescope.

Quote from: brotherhood of the dome
it's almost a miracle to see beyond 500 meters  by a device has that angle! Like a childs joke!  ;D
DISPROVEN! Explanation is done! Explanation need is eliminated.  8)
No, your "Explanation need is eliminated" is totally incorrect and irrelevant. You were looking at the wrong part of the video!

Read the OP again:

(from 6m 42s)

Brotherhood of the dome, you should be lookinb at the part of the video from 6m 42s showing the the helicopter.

Now look at the screenshots from the correct part of the video!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Helicopter visible above water 'level'

Helicopter disappeared  below water 'level'
Now explain just what hides that helicopter?

Yib

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
Nothing screams integrity like a robot voice.
I admit I chuckled, thinking someone had dubbed over narrative using a type-to-voice generator like I've seen/heard in some of these flat-earth/globe-earth videos.

But looked up the episode, and it's Stephen Hawking. Oops.

I wish I had that laser kit.

Yib

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
Cheating the experiment has been detected!

The device isn't placed horizontal.

Perspective. Remember the "vanishing point" concept? The laser is not set up perpendicular to the shoreline. It's angled away from the camera view:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »

But looked up the episode, and it's Stephen Hawking. Oops.

Awww, crap!  Sorry Steve.