Flat Earth Strongest Argument

• 9 Replies
Flat Earth Strongest Argument
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »

Any thoughts on this ? I think its the strongest argument against the flat earth...

JackBlack

Re: Flat Earth Strongest Argument
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »

Any thoughts on this ? I think its the strongest argument against the flat earth...
It leaves out so many people.
It isn't only astrophysicists and the like that need to be in on it.
You also have all the ametuer astronomers, meterologists (which use satellite data to predict the weather), all those designing GPS (or GNSS), including open source ones, those who install or aim satellites for telecommunications, airlines, shipping companies, surveyors and so on.

There are so many that would need to be in on the conspiracy it wouldn't be a conspiracy, it would be pretty much everyone knows.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
It's some dude reading a tweet.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »

Yes:
Quora If Earth is flat, are all (alleged) astronauts liars?
Answer: Matthias Jaeger, PhD in astronomy, ESA/Hubble Public Information Officer

If the Earth is flat, all astronauts are liars, indeed.

If the Earth is flat, also all professional astronomers are liars.

If the Earth is flat all international pilots are liars.

If the Earth is flat all surveyors are liars.

If the Earth is flat all navigators are liars.

If the Earth is flat all Antarctic scientists are liars.

If the Earth is flat all companies launching satellites are liars.

If the Earth is flat all engineers involved in large-scale projects (bridges and tunnels in particular) are liars.

If the Earth is flat the ancient Greek philosophers and scientists were liars.

If the Earth is flat all physicists are liars.

If the Earth is flat all amateur astronomers are liars.

More possibly "helpful" information at: Quora If Earth is flat, are all (alleged) astronauts liars?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
I don't think that it's an argument against the flat earth. It's just a normal part of believing the earth is flat.

True, those who think that it's all about NASA and the US government, they are obviously incredible ignorant of the historical and contemporary scope of the science of it. But they too must fundamentally belive that it's some grand conspiracy, and that you can't trust anyone.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »
I don't think that it's an argument against the flat earth. It's just a normal part of believing the earth is flat.

True, those who think that it's all about NASA and the US government, they are obviously incredible ignorant of the historical and contemporary scope of the science of it. But they too must fundamentally belive that it's some grand conspiracy, and that you can't trust anyone.
But that list includes
all international pilots, surveyors, navigators, engineers involved in large-scale projects, physicists and amateur astronomers.
Many are just ordinary people involved in running services, designing and performing construction work and amateurs pursuing their interests.

So, sure flat earthers must believe in some grand conspiracy and can't trust anyone, but to me, that sounds like a typical paranoid response.

In the end, no committed flat earther will be convinced by reason, logic or evidence. They just dismiss it all as irrelevant.

So, I believe that such a statement is "an argument against the flat earth", though not one that will be accepted by a committed flat earther.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:00 AM »

Yes:
Quora If Earth is flat, are all (alleged) astronauts liars?
Answer: Matthias Jaeger, PhD in astronomy, ESA/Hubble Public Information Officer

If the Earth is flat, all astronauts are liars, indeed.

If the Earth is flat, also all professional astronomers are liars.

If the Earth is flat all international pilots are liars.

If the Earth is flat all surveyors are liars.

If the Earth is flat all navigators are liars.

If the Earth is flat all Antarctic scientists are liars.

If the Earth is flat all companies launching satellites are liars.

If the Earth is flat all engineers involved in large-scale projects (bridges and tunnels in particular) are liars.

If the Earth is flat the ancient Greek philosophers and scientists were liars.

If the Earth is flat all physicists are liars.

If the Earth is flat all amateur astronomers are liars.

More possibly "helpful" information at: Quora If Earth is flat, are all (alleged) astronauts liars?

You forgot geologists—they must all be liars, too!

Of course, everyone who has ever claimed to have seen a horizon is a liar. So is everyone who saw a sunrise or sunset. Those things are pure fiction!
"Science is real."
--They Might Be Giants

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:55:14 AM »

You forgot geologists—they must all be liars, too!

Of course, everyone who has ever claimed to have seen a horizon is a liar. So is everyone who saw a sunrise or sunset. Those things are pure fiction!
Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger, he did it -> Matthias Jaeger, PhD in astronomy, ESA/Hubble Public Information Officer

But yes, to take the flat earth seriously there would be something like a million people who must be "keeping mum" as to the true shape.

I made a bigger list in, Re: Why do scientists disagree? « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:06:44 PM » Some think it is too extensive, but I think it's fairly realistic.

The globe

• Hello :V
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
It's some dude reading a tweet.

A tweet that contains true and reliable information

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »