Gyroscope on a plane

• 10 Replies
?

tomato

• Shine on you crazy diamonds.
Gyroscope on a plane
« on: March 18, 2018, 01:16:06 PM »
Can anyone take a gyroscope on a plane and keep it spinning on their next trip across the US or to another country?

If it shifts according to Earth's curvature, that's an issue. If it stays the same the whole time, that's an issue too. Magazine issue
Tomato puree

Macarios

Re: Gyroscope on a plane
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »
Can anyone take a gyroscope on a plane and keep it spinning on their next trip across the US or to another country?

If it shifts according to Earth's curvature, that's an issue. If it stays the same the whole time, that's an issue too. Magazine issue

Artificial horizon is gyroscopic device and it has self-correction faster than the angle changes when airplane reaches new verticals along the path.

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Cahaya

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »
All modern aircraft since the launch of the Boeing 747 use an inertial reference platform composed of 3 laser gyroscopes. The GPS on newer aircraft supplements that platform and so aircraft operations are independent of that system. It does add dramatically to the accuracy but is not essential, whereas the inertial platform is essential.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
Actually, the surface of the Earth itself is moving as fast as an airplane, and it's easier to keep a large gyroscope undisturbed on the ground than in a plane.

A french physicist named Léon Foucault already did it 166 years ago.

JackBlack

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
You need a very well balanced gyroscope for this.
If it is not properly balanced the drift due to the imbalance can be more significant than the drift due to Earth's rotation or change in position.
So I would recommend one which can be calibrated.
Set it up in one location, leave it fixed, monitoring how much it drifts and calibrate it so it doesn't drift. Then carefully transport it to another location and see if it drifts there.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:04:28 PM »
If it stays the same the whole time, that's an issue too.

Why would this be an issue? because this is what it should do if the earth is flat, which it is.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:13 PM »

Artificial horizon is gyroscopic device and it has self-correction faster than the angle changes when airplane reaches new verticals along the path.

Basically this has an internal pendulum that the gyro self-corrects to. This is proof, these type of gyroscopes will never tell you anything of value in regards to the earths shape.  A true 100% mechanical gyroscope would have to be used, and of course it would show with 0 doubt the earth is flat.

Macarios

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:02:10 AM »

Basically this has an internal pendulum that the gyro self-corrects to. This is proof, these type of gyroscopes will never tell you anything of value in regards to the earths shape.  A true 100% mechanical gyroscope would have to be used, and of course it would show with 0 doubt the earth is flat.

They will tell you that you don't have to "dip the nose down" when flying along the great circle.

And when you add the description of altimeter, it is completey clear that there is no recalculation needed to follow the Earth's curve.
You would need calculation not to, but planes are limited to atmosphere.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:06:44 AM by Macarios »

JackBlack

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 03:14:17 AM »
and of course it would show with 0 doubt the earth is flat.
Nope. It would either be unable to tell the difference between a flat Earth and round Earth, or it would show a round Earth, just like everything that can distinguish between a flat or round Earth does.

P.S. Unless the plane follows a perfectly straight course without changing attitude, it should move if Earth is flat.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
The technology does not exist to create to create a gyroscope with that much precision that you could take onto a plane

Macarios

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 06:57:04 PM »
This looks pretty reliable to me: