Are satellites real?

• 287 Replies
Re: Are satellites real?
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »
And how you define a reception footprint.

https://www.ses.com/our-coverage/satellites/347
Again, a transponder is not necessarily operating from the comfort of a satellite.

That device can just as easily be attached to a balloon.

Quite behaving like a jack ass.

A footprint is the size of the area covered by the transponder.
So now you claim satellite tv is from a balloon and not troposcatter?  We know the transmitters are 36,000km above the equator, this can be confirmed by measurements from different locations.  What keeps the balloon in position?

« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
How about evidence that troposcatter can work when the antennas are pointed more than a few degrees above the horizon?
Who said it would or wouldn't work in this instance?
Look it up.  Anyway, troposcatter can't be set up to transmit to eg a 500km radius with a defined footprint shape.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
How about evidence that troposcatter can work when the antennas are pointed more than a few degrees above the horizon?
I could be wrong, but I think that you are the one claiming that it would work in this instance.

Or are you just throwing out a bunch of random ideas and hoping that one of them might be plausible?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
And how you define a reception footprint.

https://www.ses.com/our-coverage/satellites/347
Again, a transponder is not necessarily operating from the comfort of a satellite.

That device can just as easily be attached to a balloon.

Quite behaving like a jack ass.

A footprint is the size of the area covered by the transponder.
So now you claim satellite tv is from a balloon and not troposcatter?  We know the transmitters are 36,000km above the equator, this can be confirmed by measurements from different locations.  What keeps the balloon in position?
Please read this very slowly and deliberately, as to understand.

You can easily read what I have "claimed," here and what I have postulated.

What I have postulated is possible and that is indisputable whether you like or not.

It is an alternative explanation as to how people can receive television signals via a dish antenna.

You do not "know," the signal is originating from 36,000 km up or 36 km up.

You have no clue and you possess no personal method of verifying the true altitude of the source.

It is that simple.

« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2018, 07:33:53 AM »
I could be wrong...
No doubt.
...but I think that you are the one claiming that it would work in this instance.
You claiming it would not?
Or are you just throwing out a bunch of random ideas and hoping that one of them might be plausible?
I am not "hoping," anything.

It is plausible.

And you can read the thread as to what you believe constitutes, "a bunch of random ideas."

I proposed two alternatives as to how a person could receive signals via a dish antenna.

Both viable, both indisputable, whether you like it or not.

Typical shitposting on your part.

« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
I could be wrong...
No doubt.
...but I think that you are the one claiming that it would work in this instance.
You claiming it would not?
I am not "hoping," anything.

It is plausible.

And you can read the thread as to what you believe constitutes, "a bunch of random ideas."

I proposed two alternatives as to how a person could receive signals via a dish antenna.

Typical shitposting on your part.
This is not about 'proposing', it is about how we actually receive multi channel broadcast tv.  We know where satellite dishes point to and we know who builds and operates satellites.  What is the problem with this?

Balloons and tropospheric scatter cannot not provide what we get with satellites.

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
Balloons and tropospheric scatter cannot not provide what we get with satellites.
And I say you are full of it.

You have ZERO evidence to make this assertion.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
Where, when, and how are these thousands of balloons prepared, launched, and serviced?

Why do we never see any reports of them falling back to Earth?

How are they positioned to maintain the precision required for GPS ?

All of these questions are answered with satellite technology.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »
Where, when, and how are these thousands of balloons prepared, launched, and serviced?
Who said "thousands?"

They are launched everyday by the military, government, universities, radio operators, etc.
Why would you?
The same way any other balloon is positioned.
Sure, but it is also answered by balloons and troposcatter.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:16:19 AM by totallackey »

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
I live in a 3rd world country with a shits for brains military. Seriously, our entire military budget could not even buy 1 frikken F35 if they wanted to. They as so underfunded that we only have 5 working attack helicopters.
Most of our TV comes from satellite because our national broadcasting stations are either broke or going on strike. South Africa has a surface area twice that of Texas USA.

And your telling me that there are thousands (yes, there would need to be thousands) of balloons being sent up by our military in secret to broadcast TV signals just to prove the world is flat for some reasons no one has yet figured out???

Then go expand this same logic to every other country in Africa.

This idea is beyond insane.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
Who said "thousands?"

They are launched everyday by the military, government, universities, radio operators, etc.
Why would you?
The same way any other balloon is positioned.
Sure, but it is also answered by balloons and troposcatter.
My satnav shows 18 satellites visable, how do you explain that?  Still waiting for links to details of operators of non satellite services.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:59:25 AM by inquisitive »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »

Do you agree with the premise that so-called "satellite dishes" must be pointed within one degree of a transmitter in order to receive a usable signal?

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
I live in a 3rd world country with a shits for brains military. Seriously, our entire military budget could not even buy 1 frikken F35 if they wanted to. They as so underfunded that we only have 5 working attack helicopters.
Most of our TV comes from satellite because our national broadcasting stations are either broke or going on strike. South Africa has a surface area twice that of Texas USA.
South Africa is 3rd World?
And your telling me that there are thousands (yes, there would need to be thousands) of balloons being sent up by our military in secret to broadcast TV signals just to prove the world is flat for some reasons no one has yet figured out???

Then go expand this same logic to every other country in Africa.

This idea is beyond insane.
You can whine, cry, bitch, moan, jump and shout out, "it would need THOUSANDS," all you want.

Does not change the fact you have no clue what the real amount required is...I say it is less.

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
My satnav shows 18 satellites visable, how do you explain that?  Still waiting for links to details of operators of non satellite services.
It is your satnav (whatever that is)...and you want me to explain it to you?

That would be like asking me to explain how your pet gerbil ended up inside your rectum, would it not?

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »
And yet, forty million households in North America (DIRECTV & Dish combined) receive their TV service from a dish antenna and receiver.

When I provided info to show that troposcatter or balloons couldn’t reliably provide signal to all the dish antennas in North America you never addressed any of what I posted.  You never provided any support for you assertion that they can.
Horse hockey.

The vast majority of troposcatter antenna are DISH SHAPED.

WTF else do I need to provide?

You need to provide a lot.  Just because the antennas are dish shaped means nothing.  I’m the same height as Batman.  That doesn’t make me Bruce Wayne.

Troposcatter dishes are large (2m+) high gain dishes.  DIRECTV ka/ku dishes are small with an order of magnitude less gain.

DIRECTV’s installation specs require azimuth alignment to ±0.1°.  You can only get within 0.5° with a signal meter which is why installers need to use the dither procedure in the link I provided in a previous post.

Why ±0.1°?  Because the ka-band is very narrow and anything outside of this tolerance is subject to signal loss such as rain fade.

This tight tolerance, the smaller dish, and lower gain are the reasons troposcatter isn’t viable for receiving DIRECTV.

Most of this data is contained in the links I already provided.

You never provided any support to refute my information.
Again, you are full of it.

You denied the ability of balloon to maintain fixed positions in order to broadcast. That was clearly demonstrated to be false.
I stated

“I’ve read of proposed military LTA craft for high altitude surveillance but even that would only be able to maintain a station keeping radius of 2km at best.  IIRC, that would only apply for 50% of the time.  The proposed 95% station keeping is 150km.  I don’t know of any systems that have been implemented yet but those station keeping parameters aren’t good enough.”

I stated that these balloons station keeping abilities aren't good enough to keep alignment with the current DIRECTV dish antennas. 

You claimed the only way to get DirecTV is via satellite transmission.

It is not.
You are correct.  I erroneously assumed the discussion was about satellites and not about mobile streaming.  It didn’t occur to me that weren’t even talking about something other than satellites or dish antennas.  Silly me for assuming the discussion was on topic.

In fact, you have ZERO concrete evidence the signal received by the dish antenna is coming from a satellite. You have a belief and that is all.

Other than the fact that troposcatter and high-altitude balloons transmit, you’ve provided ZERO concrete evidence that either can provide reliable signal to DBS dish antennas.

You merely tried to redirect the discussion away from those things with DIRECTV’s mobile streaming service.  Why is that?
Because you made a false claim the only way to receive DirecTV is via satellite.
Can you show how troposcatter or high-altitude balloons can provide signal for several hundred HD channels to nearly forty million households that have DBS service?  Will you support your own claims or not?

Mike
"Troposcatter systems have evolved over the years. With communication satellites used for long-distance communication links, current troposcatter systems are employed over shorter distances than previous systems, use smaller antennas and amplifiers, and have much higher bandwidth capabilities."
You’re right.  Troposcatter systems have evolved and the dishes have gotten smaller.  They’ve gone from 10+ meters to 2 meters. 

You’re right.  Troposcatter systems do have much higher bandwidth capabilities.  AAMOF, these systems are capable of transmitting full HD video and data.  However, they are not designed to transmit hundreds of full HD channels.

Troposcatter systems have limitations which is why the military uses them in very limited situations.  The US military uses satellites for almost all of its communication and data transfer.  That is unless you can show how a ship in the South Pacific and communicate with the Pentagon via troposcatter.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Navigation satellites
Weather satellites
Communications satellites
Digital Television broadcast satellites
Digital radio broadcast satellites
Imaging satellites
Research satellites
Climate and environmental monitoring satellites
MANNED SPACE STATIONS
...and a whole host of military satellites.

A bit of digging comes up with an estimation of 8,000 man-made objects orbiting the earth. Including approximately 3,000 operational satellites.
Each one required AT LEAST one launch vehicle, some took several.

Each of these satellites had a large team of designers, engineers, manufacturers, and financiers.
Each of these satellites were launched by rockets requiring large teams of designers, engineers, manufacturers, launch crews, mission control staff, and financiers. Not to mention launch facilities.

Most of these launches were viewed by crowds of spectators.
All of these launches were financed by their various entities at great expense. Entities that purchased them to provide services.

It's completely INSANE to propose that EVERY LAST ONE of these launches were somehow "faked" or "launched into the ocean", for the sole purpose of concealing the shape of the earth. Something that you can determins by simply walking outside at the correct time of the day.

It's preposterous to claim that all that money was spent, and wasted into the ocean, when they could simply launch some ballons.

Use your brain, lackey!
If YOU dont, someone else will.
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »

That would be like asking me to explain how your pet gerbil ended up inside your rectum, would it not?
Personal abuse shows you have no ability to discuss the subject.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
I've seen no comment on the capabilities of modern troposcatter systems. Here read it again!
I do not believe, I know.  You have not shown details with links to any proof of an alternative that is actually used.  Troposcatter cannot provide signals of multi channel HD and UHD TV to targetted areas.
Troposcatter specifically utilizes dish antennas.

What other support do I need to offer.
Plenty! You need to provide evidence that troposcatter could provide in 1984 the continent-wide coverage of the bandwidth and availability required for DBS satellite TV.

Anything less and you are simply guessing.

Quote from: totallackey
You do not know whether the signal is actually coming from a satellite or not.

Look at this major achievement for troposcatter, Troposcatter System Maintains 50-Mb/s Connection Over 100 Miles and look at the antenna needed!

A Tactical Transportable Troposcatter (3T) system recently completed successful testing providing
high bandwidth 50 Mb/s speeds over 100 miles. (Image courtesy of TeleCommunication Systems)
Not quite you home satellite dish is it Mr Totallackey? So may we scrub troposcatter from your guesses?

Troposcatter are essentially point-to-point systems, not broadcast as is necessary for television broadcasting.

Now come up with some solid evidence or admit that you haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about!
That troposcatter system is quite modern - DBS satellite has been in operation since 1984 ( ;D ;D that date rings a bell ;D ;D)

Only one totally ignorant on the propagation of microwave signals would claim that troposcatter can broadcast TV to whole continents.

But, totally ignorant does seem to fit the total lackey like a glove!

« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »
You need to provide a lot.  Just because the antennas are dish shaped means nothing.  I’m the same height as Batman.  That doesn’t make me Bruce Wayne.

Troposcatter dishes are large (2m+) high gain dishes.  DIRECTV ka/ku dishes are small with an order of magnitude less gain.

DIRECTV’s installation specs require azimuth alignment to ±0.1°.  You can only get within 0.5° with a signal meter which is why installers need to use the dither procedure in the link I provided in a previous post.

Why ±0.1°?  Because the ka-band is very narrow and anything outside of this tolerance is subject to signal loss such as rain fade.

This tight tolerance, the smaller dish, and lower gain are the reasons troposcatter isn’t viable for receiving DIRECTV.

Absolutely none of this is relevant to where the broadcast signal originates or type of transmitter.
You never provided any support to refute my information.
Again, you are full of it.

You denied the ability of balloon to maintain fixed positions in order to broadcast. That was clearly demonstrated to be false.
I stated

“I’ve read of proposed military LTA craft for high altitude surveillance but even that would only be able to maintain a station keeping radius of 2km at best.  IIRC, that would only apply for 50% of the time.  The proposed 95% station keeping is 150km.  I don’t know of any systems that have been implemented yet but those station keeping parameters aren’t good enough.”

I stated that these balloons station keeping abilities aren't good enough to keep alignment with the current DIRECTV dish antennas.
And that is false also, as demonstrated by video footage obtained from weather balloons demonstrating clear, stable picture.

You are correct.  I erroneously assumed the discussion was about satellites and not about mobile streaming.  It didn’t occur to me that weren’t even talking about something other than satellites or dish antennas.  Silly me for assuming the discussion was on topic.
Nice attempt at an apology and then totally shitposting it away.

You clearly know what the topic is by looking at the title of the OP: "Are satellites real?"

I have posted two plausible methods of broadcasting satellite TV and provided one proven and absolutely verifiable method of receiving "satellite TV," without the need of a satellite, all in keeping with OP.

So take your "Silly me," schtick and shove it.

Other than the fact that troposcatter and high-altitude balloons transmit, you’ve provided ZERO concrete evidence that either can provide reliable signal to DBS dish antennas.
Troposcatter transmission is a verifiable fact.

Transmission from balloons is a verifiable fact.

A dish antenna is a receiver of transmission signals.

Case closed.

You’re right.  Troposcatter systems have evolved and the dishes have gotten smaller.  They’ve gone from 10+ meters to 2 meters. 

You’re right.  Troposcatter systems do have much higher bandwidth capabilities.  AAMOF, these systems are capable of transmitting full HD video and data.  However, they are not designed to transmit hundreds of full HD channels.
How do you know this? How do you know design has not also improved in this area?
Troposcatter systems have limitations which is why the military uses them in very limited situations.  The US military uses satellites for almost all of its communication and data transfer.
No, they do not. They still utilize basic radio for the most part.
That is unless you can show how a ship in the South Pacific and communicate with the Pentagon via troposcatter.

Mike
LOL!

As soon as you show the need for a ship in the South Pacific to communicate directly with the Pentagon, maybe we will work on it.

You know, you engage in quite a bit of hyperbole...

Rather amusing at times, but really rather tiresome after a while...

« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »

What personal abuse?

Do you even own a gerbil?

Or are you truly unable to comprehend how your satnav thingy works?

« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
A picture of a dish antenna and bunch of blowhard words demanding "proof..." (still caught up with terms relating to alcohol, it appears)...
Pete, if you had one thousand of those dishes in your post, all of them pointed in the same general direction, each and every one of them would receive the same signal as the one in the picture...

WTF is the matter with you?

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »

What personal abuse?

Yes, receives from satellites orbiting the earth.  www.gps.gov explains it for you.

« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »

What personal abuse?

Yes, receives from satellites orbiting the earth.  www.gps.gov explains it for you.
Oh, well if that explains it for you then why would you ask me to explain it for you?

« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:07 PM »

What personal abuse?

Oh, well if that explains it for you then why would you ask me to explain it for you?
Seems to be different to your thoughts and consistent with the way we see GPS work.

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »

What personal abuse?

Seems to be different to your thoughts and consistent with the way we see GPS work.
Well, we are not all the same now are we,,,

And who is "we?"

Are you going to accuse me of attacking your gerbil again?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
A bit of digging comes up with an estimation of 8,000 man-made objects orbiting the earth. Including approximately 3,000 operational satellites.
Each one required AT LEAST one launch vehicle, some took several.
Not necessarily.  It's not uncommon for one launch vehicle to carry a number of smaller satellites at once.  For example, SpaceX launches 10 Iridium satellites at a time.

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »

What personal abuse?

Well, we are not all the same now are we,,,

And who is "we?"

Are you going to accuse me of attacking your gerbil again?
You are not convincing anyone that satellites do not exist.

« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »

Absolutely none of this is relevant to where the broadcast signal originates or type of transmitter.
<snip>

If you really think none of this is relevant they you do not understand how these transmission/reception systems work.  It actually explains a lot.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
A picture of a dish antenna and bunch of blowhard words demanding "proof..." (still caught up with terms relating to alcohol, it appears)...
Pete, if you had one thousand of those dishes in your post, all of them pointed in the same general direction, each and every one of them would receive the same signal as the one in the picture...
  • I'm not Pete, why don't you go and ask him.

• If those "one thousand . . . dishes" were spread all over USA and  all of them pointed in the same general direction, each and every one of them would" definitely NOT "receive the same signal as the one in the picture".
    If I need to tell you that, either
         you didn't read my post but just looked at the pictures or
         you don't have the understanding to know what "Troposcatter System Maintains 50-Mb/s Connection Over 100 Miles" means.

Either way you are totally too incompetent in these matters to intelligently debate it - but that won't stop you!

Quote from: totallackey

WTF is the matter with you?
Nothing at all is the matter with me, you must have been looking in a mirror when you wrote that !

What is wrong with you is that you are a totally ignorant deceiver who simply cannot face the fact that troposcatter cannot explain DBS satellite reception.

Now would you care to make a rational response?

Have a nice day wallowing in ignorance.

« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:03 AM »
If you really think none of this is relevant they you do not understand how these transmission/reception systems work.  It actually explains a lot.

Mike
I said it was irrelevant to whether or not the signal is transmitted via satellite.

It is, as that signal could be coming from another source.