Are satellites real?

• 287 Replies
Re: Are satellites real?
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
Is DirecTV available without the use of a satellite transmitter or receiver? YES...or...NO?
I have a friend who has Dish TV.  I can assure you that it isn't coming in through his Verizon DSL internet service.
So?

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
Evidently you ceded the high altitude balloon argument.

Now, I suggest you utilize the words AT&T in your quest for knowledge on DirecTV...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2016/03/01/t-launch-streaming-directv-service-no-dish-required/81164070/

First of all, I’ve already said such systems exist but haven’t been implemented yet.  Your implication was they can be used for satellite tv and that’s just not true.
Your insistence they cannot is simply a claim without basis.

They certainly can.
You claim geostationary balloons can be used for satellite TV.  To be clear, are you stating that these balloons can and do supply signals to current DIRECTV satellite dishes?

As far as DIRECTV NOW goes, it’s a basic streaming service for mobile devices.  It has nothing to do with in home TV service  DIRECTV NOW does have an in home streaming service for TV with 4k content and full on demand.  You need Apple TV STB.  So, as you can see, in order to get full DIRECTV it does need a receiver.  These are both streaming services that are currently a supplement or alternative to the current DIRECTV satellite service.  That has absolutely nothing to do with satellites so you can let that one go.

The interesting part here is this discussion is about satellites and you want to use semantics to avoid the discussion that satellites exist and currently supply tens of millions of households with DBS TV.  Yet, it seems you’ve not posted anything to show a DIRECTV dish receives a signal with hundreds full HD channels and 4k content.

Mike
It is a yes or no question Mike.

Is DirecTV available without the use of a satellite transmitter or receiver? YES...or...NO?

You are the one relying on semantics and wordplay.

I was very clear and concise with my posts.
Of course, DIRECTV has a mobile device streaming service without a dish or receiver.  What does that have to do with satellites?

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
I have a friend who has Dish TV.  I can assure you that it isn't coming in through his Verizon DSL internet service.
So?
It means that your question is irrelevant.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
So?
Satellite dishes are used by millions to recrive tv.  Agree?

Macarios

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
That is just a list of "satellites," for which you have ZERO individual first hand knowledge as to whether or not they exist.

I don't think anyone has your "individual first hand knowledge as to whether or not they exist" about all of them together.
But you are aware that for each of them there are many people that DO have such knowledge.
They receive TV and other signals from them.
I do have personal experience about several of them. Few in Europe, two in Middle East and couple in USA.
Many other people have experience regarding others.
I don't have a reason to think that their experience is diferent.
The whole East Asia and Australia receive imagery from Himawari (you have link few posts earlier).

You must admit that your denial is directly confronting personal experiences of very high number of people.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:03:41 PM by Macarios »
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »
It is an irrelevant question totallackey.
What date was DirecTV first introduced? It's a simple and relevant question because:
First Direct Broadcast Satellite Service, 1984
NHK began the world's first direct broadcast satellite service in May, 1984. This was the culmination of eighteen years of research that included the development of an inexpensive low-noise receiver and investigations of rain attenuation in the 12 GHz band. RRL, NASDA, TSCJ, Toshiba Corporation, General Electric Company, and NASA participated with NHK to make satellite broadcasting to the home a practical reality.

See more in: Milestones: First Direct Broadcast Satellite Service, 1984.

Almost 34 years ago!

NAZA

« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
It is an irrelevant question totallackey.
What date was DirecTV first introduced? It's a simple and relevant question because:
First Direct Broadcast Satellite Service, 1984
NHK began the world's first direct broadcast satellite service in May, 1984. This was the culmination of eighteen years of research that included the development of an inexpensive low-noise receiver and investigations of rain attenuation in the 12 GHz band. RRL, NASDA, TSCJ, Toshiba Corporation, General Electric Company, and NASA participated with NHK to make satellite broadcasting to the home a practical reality.

See more in: Milestones: First Direct Broadcast Satellite Service, 1984.

Almost 34 years ago!

The DirectTV that we know today was introduced in '94 after years of development by Hughes.   The systems were sold only thru dealers, mostly RCA.
DTV did not know who purchased them or where  they were installed until after they were installed and the customer called DTV to suscribe.
So since day one DTV would have had to have towers, ballons, stratolites or whatever BS the Flatters claim in place in every state.  They sold over 300,000 systems the first year alone.
Faking DTV is impossible now and has been since the first day it was introduced and PapaLackey knows it.

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »

Now, I suggest you utilize the words AT&T in your quest for knowledge on DirecTV...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2016/03/01/t-launch-streaming-directv-service-no-dish-required/81164070/

First of all, I’ve already said such systems exist but haven’t been implemented yet.  Your implication was they can be used for satellite tv and that’s just not true.

They certainly can.
You claim geostationary balloons can be used for satellite TV.  To be clear, are you stating that these balloons can and do supply signals to current DIRECTV satellite dishes?
I wrote exactly what I intended to communicate.
As far as DIRECTV NOW goes, it’s a basic streaming service for mobile devices.  It has nothing to do with in home TV service  DIRECTV NOW does have an in home streaming service for TV with 4k content and full on demand.  You need Apple TV STB.  So, as you can see, in order to get full DIRECTV it does need a receiver.  These are both streaming services that are currently a supplement or alternative to the current DIRECTV satellite service.  That has absolutely nothing to do with satellites so you can let that one go.

The interesting part here is this discussion is about satellites and you want to use semantics to avoid the discussion that satellites exist and currently supply tens of millions of households with DBS TV.  Yet, it seems you’ve not posted anything to show a DIRECTV dish receives a signal with hundreds full HD channels and 4k content.

Mike

Of course, DIRECTV has a mobile device streaming service without a dish or receiver.  What does that have to do with satellites?

Mike
Like I wrote earlier, the use of satellite transmitters is certainly not necessary and the use of satellite receivers and antennas is not necessary to receive DirecTV.

Signals received by satellite dishes do not necessarily need to come from a satellite. They can come from troposcatter or they could originate from high altitude balloons.

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
So?
It means that your question is irrelevant.
Mike knew it was not irrelevant.

He answered it.

Complain to him.

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:15 AM »
So?
Satellite dishes antennas are used by millions to recrive [sic]tv.  Agree?
FTFY.

Where have I disagreed with that statement.

That does not indicate a satellite is actually the signal transmitter.

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2018, 02:36:37 AM »

They certainly can.

Mike

Mike
Like I wrote earlier, the use of satellite transmitters is certainly not necessary and the use of satellite receivers and antennas is not necessary to receive DirecTV.

Signals received by satellite dishes do not necessarily need to come from a satellite. They can come from troposcatter or they could originate from high altitude balloons.
'not necessary' and 'can come' is not relevant.  We know that satellite tv comes from satellites.  It has been explained many times.  Please post links with details of balloons and troposcatter transmitters in service.

The existance of a (via the internet) does not prove the non existance of b (satellite reception).

Do you have an explanation for how TV news satellite trucks work?

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2018, 02:37:43 AM »
That is just a list of "satellites," for which you have ZERO individual first hand knowledge as to whether or not they exist.

I don't think anyone has your "individual first hand knowledge as to whether or not they exist" about all of them together.
But you are aware that for each of them there are many people that DO claim to have such knowledge.
They BELIEVE they receive TV and other signals from them.
I BELIEVE I do have personal experience about several of them. Few in Europe, two in Middle East and couple in USA.
Many other people BELIEVE THEY have experience regarding others.
I don't have a reason to think doubt that their experience is diferent.
The whole East Asia and Australia receive imagery from Himawari (you have link few posts earlier).
FTFY.

Fine.

Believe what you want.
You must admit that your denial is directly confronting personal experiences BELIEFS of very high number of people.
FTFY also.

Argumentum ad populum does not cut it.

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2018, 02:38:14 AM »
So?
Satellite dishes antennas are used by millions to recrive [sic]tv.  Agree?
FTFY.

Where have I disagreed with that statement.

That does not indicate a satellite is actually the signal transmitter.
Please provide details of what is actually used for eg. DirectTV.  Link to documentation.

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2018, 02:40:08 AM »

But you are aware that for each of them there are many people that DO claim to have such knowledge.
They BELIEVE they receive TV and other signals from them.
I BELIEVE I do have personal experience about several of them. Few in Europe, two in Middle East and couple in USA.
Many other people BELIEVE THEY have experience regarding others.
I don't have a reason to think doubt that their experience is diferent.
FTFY.

Fine.

Believe what you want.
You must admit that your denial is directly confronting personal experiences BELIEFS of very high number of people.
FTFY also.

Satellite design and operation is well documented, do you have details of alternatives?

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2018, 02:44:41 AM »
'not necessary' and 'can come' is not relevant.  We know BELIEVE that satellite tv comes from satellites.  It has been explained many times.  Please post links with details of balloons and troposcatter transmitters in service.
FTFY.

You do not "know," where the signal is coming from.

You believe it is coming from a satellite.

Look, I am not going to keep repeating myself.

I have posted legitimate reference material regarding possible ways a dish antenna can receive a signal from something OTHER than a satellite.

It is indisputable.

You cannot argue against it being a possibility, because it is a factual possibility.

Quit behaving like a jack ass.

Sure. They broadcast a signal.

What difference does that make?

« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:28 AM »
'not necessary' and 'can come' is not relevant.  We know BELIEVE that satellite tv comes from satellites.  It has been explained many times.  Please post links with details of balloons and troposcatter transmitters in service.
FTFY.

You do not "know," where the signal is coming from.

You believe it is coming from a satellite.

Look, I am not going to keep repeating myself.

I have posted legitimate reference material regarding possible ways a dish antenna can receive a signal from something OTHER than a satellite.

It is indisputable.

You cannot argue against it being a possibility, because it is a factual possibility.

Quit behaving like a jack ass.

Sure. They broadcast a signal.

What difference does that make?
I do not believe, I know.  You have not shown details with links to any proof of an alternative that is actually used.  Troposcatter cannot provide signals of multi channel HD and UHD TV to targetted areas.

Do the calculations of dish angles to see the location of the transmitter above the equator.

Do you have details of how GPS works, please provide links.

How does the sat truck signal get back to the studio?

Macarios

« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »

Speaking of "ad populum", I am one of them.
You can live in denial, but you would have better grip of your own reality if you wouldn't.

See (or ask) in your neighborhood how many people have satellite TV.
Go around and see dishes.
If they face south (satellites directly above your longitude), they will be oriented up by the angle of 90 minus your latitude.
If they catch satellites more to east or west, they will face somewhat lower.

If you live in southern hemisphere, those at your longitude will be north.
Then again, you would see different constellations at night and different behavior of night sky.
In that case it is highly unlikely that you would be Flat Earther.

EDIT: Fixing your perception, or people's testimonies (calling them "liars"), to reflect your own desires, won't adjust reality the same way.
Do you think you can go around and "fix" orientations of dishes everywhere you see them?
Move someone's dish for more than one degree, and some of them will get out of their house with a shotgun.
Especially if you do it during their favorite TV show.
Or if you do it twice. :-)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:22:48 AM by Macarios »

« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »

They certainly can.

Mike

Mike

And yet, forty million households in North America (DIRECTV & Dish combined) receive their TV service from a dish antenna and receiver.

When I provided info to show that troposcatter or balloons couldn’t reliably provide signal to all the dish antennas in North America you never addressed any of what I posted.  You never provided any support for you assertion that they can.  You never provided any support to refute my information.  You merely tried to redirect the discussion away from those things with DIRECTV’s mobile streaming service.  Why is that?

Can you show how troposcatter or high-altitude balloons can provide signal for several hundred HD channels to nearly forty million households that have DBS service?  Will you support your own claims or not?

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2018, 04:26:35 AM »
I do not believe, I know.  You have not shown details with links to any proof of an alternative that is actually used.  Troposcatter cannot provide signals of multi channel HD and UHD TV to targetted areas.
Troposcatter specifically utilizes dish antennas.

What other support do I need to offer.

You do not know whether the signal is actually coming from a satellite or not.

You have a belief and that is all it is.

Do the calculations of dish angles to see the location of the transmitter above the equator.

Do you have details of how GPS works, please provide links.

How does the sat truck signal get back to the studio?
Dish angles, dish schmangles...

That does not prove anything.

It is evidence a signal is strongest from a particular area.

That is all it proves.

GPS utilizes trilateration.

Again, no satellite necessary.

An antenna at the studio is utilized to receive incoming signals.

« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2018, 04:27:56 AM »
More ad populum arguments.
Kindly refrain from logical fallacy.

« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:16 AM »
And yet, forty million households in North America (DIRECTV & Dish combined) receive their TV service from a dish antenna and receiver.

When I provided info to show that troposcatter or balloons couldn’t reliably provide signal to all the dish antennas in North America you never addressed any of what I posted.  You never provided any support for you assertion that they can.
Horse hockey.

The vast majority of troposcatter antenna are DISH SHAPED.

WTF else do I need to provide? 

You never provided any support to refute my information.
Again, you are full of it.

You denied the ability of balloon to maintain fixed positions in order to broadcast. That was clearly demonstrated to be false.

You claimed the only way to get DirecTV is via satellite transmission.

It is not.

In fact, you have ZERO concrete evidence the signal received by the dish antenna is coming from a satellite. You have a belief and that is all. 

You merely tried to redirect the discussion away from those things with DIRECTV’s mobile streaming service.  Why is that?
Because you made a false claim the only way to receive DirecTV is via satellite.
Can you show how troposcatter or high-altitude balloons can provide signal for several hundred HD channels to nearly forty million households that have DBS service?  Will you support your own claims or not?

Mike
"Troposcatter systems have evolved over the years. With communication satellites used for long-distance communication links, current troposcatter systems are employed over shorter distances than previous systems, use smaller antennas and amplifiers, and have much higher bandwidth capabilities."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:37 AM »
Troposcatter specifically utilizes dish antennas.

What other support do I need to offer.
Plenty! You need to provide evidence that troposcatter could provide in 1984 the continent-wide coverage of the bandwidth and availability required for DBS satellite TV.

Anything less and you are simply guessing.

Quote from: totallackey
You do not know whether the signal is actually coming from a satellite or not.

Look at this major achievement for troposcatter, Troposcatter System Maintains 50-Mb/s Connection Over 100 Miles and look at the antenna needed!

A Tactical Transportable Troposcatter (3T) system recently completed successful testing providing
high bandwidth 50 Mb/s speeds over 100 miles. (Image courtesy of TeleCommunication Systems)
Not quite you home satellite dish is it Mr Totallackey? So may we scrub troposcatter from your guesses?

Troposcatter are essentially point-to-point, not broadcast as is necessary for tevevision broadcasting.

Now come up with some solid evidence or admit that you haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about!

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2018, 05:10:46 AM »
"Troposcatter systems have evolved over the years. With communication satellites used for long-distance communication links, current troposcatter systems are employed over shorter distances than previous systems, use smaller antennas and amplifiers, and have much higher bandwidth capabilities."
If you read the wiki article that you posted, you will see how they mention it has a maximum effectiveness of 300km. That excludes a lot of places.

If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Macarios

« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2018, 05:18:33 AM »
More ad populum arguments.
Kindly refrain from logical fallacy.

I would avoid it, but you fill the thread with it in abundance.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2018, 06:32:39 AM »

When I provided info to show that troposcatter or balloons couldn’t reliably provide signal to all the dish antennas in North America you never addressed any of what I posted.  You never provided any support for you assertion that they can.
Horse hockey.

How about evidence that troposcatter can work when the antennas are pointed more than a few degrees above the horizon?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:08 AM »

Horse hockey.

How about evidence that troposcatter can work when the antennas are pointed more than a few degrees above the horizon?
And how you define a reception footprint.

https://www.ses.com/our-coverage/satellites/347

« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2018, 06:53:42 AM »
If you read the wiki article that you posted, you will see how they mention it has a maximum effectiveness of 300km. That excludes a lot of places.
300km also includes a lot of places...

« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
300km also includes a lot of places...
Straight line.  How do you define the footprint?

« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2018, 06:57:48 AM »
And how you define a reception footprint.

https://www.ses.com/our-coverage/satellites/347
Again, a transponder is not necessarily operating from the comfort of a satellite.

That device can just as easily be attached to a balloon.

Quite behaving like a jack ass.

A footprint is the size of the area covered by the transponder.

« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
Who said it would or wouldn't work in this instance?