Something wrong with Blue marble (AS17-148-22727)

• 54 Replies

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Something wrong with Blue marble (AS17-148-22727)
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
Lets look at the most famous Blue Marble photo, AS17-148-22727 from Apollo 17 1972.

But something is wrong here... what do we see?
We see: 20% of Atlantic + Africa + some Antarctica + whole Indian Ocean which accounts for: 124,000,000 km2

Not seen in the photo, thus on the opposite side of the circle we have: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, ~70% of Antarctica, 80% of Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean, Arctic Ocean + Pacific Ocean = 25 + 18 + 10 + 45 + 8 + 10 + 80 + 3 + 14 + 165 = 378,000,000 km2 that we do NOT see.

This is impossible!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:49:40 AM by Denspressure »
):

Re: Something wrong with Blue marble (AS17-148-22727)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
I think you’re over estimating what you’re not seeing.  The following is based on the link below.  I lined up the globe to match your picture.

Off to the west you can just see the edge of South America so you are seeing much more than 20% of the Atlantic Ocean.  I think it’s closer to 40-45%.

I also think you are seeing more than half of Antarctica.

You can also see some of Asia.  To the east of the horn of Africa there is storm, below which is India.  Below and on the eastern edge of the globe is what I believe to be Malaysia.  You can see at least a little of Asia.

On the ESE edge of the globe you can see the very edge of Australia.  Okay, that’s only about 1% so not that much.

Try out the link and see if you can get your numbers narrowed.  Remember that you’re looking at a curved surface.

https://www.echalk.co.uk/Science/physics/solarSystem/InteractiveEarth/interactiveEarth.html

Mike
Since it costs 1.82˘ to produce a penny, putting in your 2˘ if really worth 3.64˘.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.
What you will see depends on many factors.
The camera-lens, settings, etc.
The distance from the earth from which the picture was taken.
The angle from which the picture was taken.
And possibly many other factors.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

You are an idiot incapable of reading a post.
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
So....the Blue Marble picture is not a fake?

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
So....the Blue Marble picture is not a fake?
Correct.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 11:01:42 AM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

No. I am not an idiot. And I am just an amateur photographer. But I do know a few things about photography.
So.......What's the problem with the picture ? What's impossible with it ?

Chorus:

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

No. I am not an idiot. And I am just an amateur photographer. But I do know a few things about photography.
He's saying the surface area doesn't add up.
Since it costs 1.82˘ to produce a penny, putting in your 2˘ if really worth 3.64˘.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Interesting... Weren't you the one who started that thread about trolls where you were crying like a little bitch about people supposedly trolling when they disagree with you, calling other users names and not actually adding to the discussion? How does the above post of yours fit into that picture exactly? Are you actually fine with that kind of behavior as long as you are the one doing it?

This thread was perfectly clean until your worthless degrading post. So how about a nice little ban for our precious jrowe, mods? Just a suggestion :)

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »

If the surface areas did add up then there would be a problem with the photo

When taking a photo of a sphere you can never see half of it, not at the distance this photo was taken

see https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/IMG/LPR/sphere.gif

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Just another one of my "Big IMHO's".
Again :
I tihink it all depends on the distance from the earth and the angle from which the picture was taken as to how much of the earth you are seeing.

Chorus:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.
Not that I like to differ with someone of your experience, but Mike is certainly right about Antarctica.
Apollo 17 was on a trajectory well south of the ecliptic to avoid the worst of Van Allen belts making all of Antarctica visible.
This series of Apollo 17 "Blue Marble" photos are some of the few satellite photos to show all of Antarctica.

I think you’re overestimating what you’re not seeing.  The following is based on the link below.  I lined up the globe to match your picture.
I also think you are seeing more than half of Antarctica.
Mike
Quote from: Wikipedia
The Blue Marble
History
The photograph was taken about 5 hours and 6 minutes after launch of the Apollo 17 mission,[7] and about 1 hour 54 minutes after the spacecraft left its parking orbit around the Earth, to begin its trajectory to the Moon. The time of Apollo 17's launch, 12:33 a.m. EST, meant that Africa was in daylight during the early hours of the spacecraft's flight. With the December solstice approaching, Antarctica was also illuminated.

The photograph was originally taken upside down to what was widely distributed. The image was flipped to fit expectations of north-up orientation[

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Interesting... Weren't you the one who started that thread about trolls where you were crying like a little bitch about people supposedly trolling when they disagree with you, calling other users names and not actually adding to the discussion? How does the above post of yours fit into that picture exactly? Are you actually fine with that kind of behavior as long as you are the one doing it?

This thread was perfectly clean until your worthless degrading post. So how about a nice little ban for our precious jrowe, mods? Just a suggestion :)
Look at the post you're defending. Blatant ignorance of every word of the OP. I will respond to trolls as they deserve.

Why, are you scared?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

Look at the post you're defending. Blatant ignorance of every word of the OP. I will respond to trolls as they deserve.

Why, are you scared?
As kikael said, "This thread was perfectly clean until your worthless degrading post" with your:
Sure Denspressure was being sarcastic in,
This is impossible!

But how does this provoke a response like, "Blatant ignorance of every word of the OP"?

With many of your posts, Mr Rowe, "Pot, kettle, black" springs immediately to mind. You dish out the accusations and insults, but bitch when anyone replies in kind!

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
As kikael said, "This thread was perfectly clean until your worthless degrading post" with your:
Sure Denspressure was being sarcastic in,
This is impossible!

But how does this provoke a response like, "Blatant ignorance of every word of the OP"?

You are an idiot too then, as you are incapable of noticing that I quoted a very specific post.

I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Doesn't see the problem huh? Also doesn't even acknowledge ANY of what the OP said. I'd call that being an idiot, as you are now being if you are acting as though that's all clean and innocent.

I made one post calling out a troll. You're going to blame me for that?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »

You are an idiot too then, as you are incapable of noticing that I quoted a very specific post.

I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Doesn't see the problem huh? Also doesn't even acknowledge ANY of what the OP said. I'd call that being an idiot, as you are now being if you are acting as though that's all clean and innocent.

I made one post calling out a troll. You're going to blame me for that?
Please explain just what in Googleotomy's provokes an outburst like this from you?

I see nothing that's not "clean and innocent" in that.
Maybe I can see humour and sarcasm where you always act like an angry old man that calls everyone a liar for not understanding your model to perfection.

I know you will accuse me of derailing the topic,  but you've already done that, so who cares?

I was looking through your "evidence" and noted this:
To compare, we may look at just one aspect of the RE model: gravity.
The model states that this is due to mass bending space, and this bending causing an attractive force. Both of these statements are unjustified: relying solely on supposing what the model predicts, over any alternatives. This is what an assumption is, and so we are left with two assumptions in the RE model.
But your claim, in
"the RE model: gravity. The model states that this is due to mass bending space, and this bending causing an attractive force."
is simply incorrect, and just reflects your own failure to understand General Relativity.
If your understanding is so deficient, please stick to Newtonian Gravitation of mass attracts mass.
This is comparatively easy to demonstrate and this has been done a large number of times.
Accurate measurements are much harder, but these probably have been performed over a hundred times.

But, as for evidence supporting your DET over the Globe, I am at a loss to find more than experiments that could be performed.

Macarios

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
How far up was camera when the photo was taken?

I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »
How far up was camera when the photo was taken?

The Blue Marble
Photograph created in 1972
The Blue Marble is an image of the planet Earth made on December 7, 1972, by the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft at a distance of about 29,000 kilometers from the surface. It is one of the most reproduced images in human history. Wikipedia
Created: 7 December 1972

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:46 AM »
Just found this image in a random comment on one of ODDs youtube videos. I think it's relevant here and shows quite nicely how distance effects the view of a globe.

The source of the image appears to be this thread on metabunk:
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-blue-marble-photos-show-a-changing-earth.t6616/

It has more photos and a really nice explanation about the whole "fake blue marble" shebang. Sorry if this was already posted since its from 2015, I haven't seen it yet.

rvlvr

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 04:51:22 AM »
Nice one.

Thank you, kikael.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 04:55:21 AM »
Please explain just what in Googleotomy's provokes an outburst like this from you?

So it's an outburst now? It was one fucking line calling him out for blatantly ignoring every word of the OP.

What is it about calling out such a blatantly trolling post that provokes an outburst like this from you?

I know you will accuse me of derailing the topic,  but you've already done that, so who cares?
Yes, I will call you out for that. No I did not derail the topic, i called someone out for ignoring it, you're just throwing a temper tantrum that anyone dared question a trolling roundie. If you actually care about DET, start a thread. But you won't, because you're not trying to ask a question, you're trying to distract and waste time, it's all you do. It's all you've done here.

Look at the post you are defending. It accomplished nothing. It ignored the OP. Why does it bother you so much that this got pointed out?

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »

So it's an outburst now? It was one fucking line calling him out for blatantly ignoring every word of the OP.

What is it about calling out such a blatantly trolling post that provokes an outburst like this from you?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Googleotomy's post.  It doesn't ignore "every word of the OP".  It's on top and he's trying to explain that there are a number of factors that can explain the perceived discrepancies, which to be honest, aren't expressed well enough to really warrant any replies at all.  He should be grateful Google took the time to give him any information. 

He's not trolling, your outburst is unwarranted and indefensible, especially in light of your recent crusade against exactly the kinds of posts you just made.  Be the change you want to see. 

Macarios

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
In the upper and upper right edge of the globe image, there are half of Europe and 2/3 of Asia
seen under sharp angle and condensed into narrow stripe because of that.
(India is covered with that small spiral of clouds).

Claiming that you "can't see 80% of Atlantic ocean" is exageration, because you see the whole South Atlantic and corner of North Arlantic.
In right edge, little lower, you see west coast of Australia.

Google Earth Pro is free. Download it and you will see how easily you can set the same view.
While you are there, you can rotate and observe the Earth from all around and see the configuration of the surface being consistent.

Calling someone "idiot" for merely not accepting (for pretty much ignoring) wrong "estimation" of the hidden parts of the surface
under the circumstances could be described as "outburst".

Hitting someone with crowbar in the head takes less than a second and it is "outburst".
The "One Fucking Line" containing the word "idiot" is just different type of aggressive response.

Maybe because Googleotomy wasn't physically present?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
I don't see the problem.
Looks normal to me.

Your stupid remarks are giving this website a bad name. As if it didn't already have it.
If you're trying for the award for the worst website on the Internet, I think you 've got it hands down !

Why do I keep coming back ?
Just for the sheer stupidity and entertainment of "The Flat Earh Theory."
Something like ???......You know ???.....Like watching an old Three Stooges movie ! LOL
Keep up the good work !
I will have to hand it to you, you have a good way of inventing the "Theories" !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:45:45 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »
So, the BLUE MARBLE!

Taken from a distance of 22 thousand kilometers or so through the porthole of the Apollo 17 CSM!

An incomplete portion of a totally sunlit half of the Earth, completely surrounded by "outer space!"

Compared to live color footage of Apollo 11 found in the following video (from 32:00-onward):

Please note once the cardboard cutout is removed from the porthole how the entire Earth fills the porthole...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »
So, the BLUE MARBLE!

Taken from a distance of 22 thousand kilometers or so through the porthole of the Apollo 17 CSM!

An incomplete portion of a totally sunlit half of the Earth, completely surrounded by "outer space!"

Compared to live color footage of Apollo 11 found in the following video (from 32:00-onward):

Please note once the cardboard cutout is removed from the porthole how the entire Earth fills the porthole...

Who says that "the entire Earth fills the porthole"? Bart Sibrel? If he claimed that the sky was blue, I'd immediately race outside and double check!

So, I'd advise you to double-check all that he claims, such as, "once the cardboard cutout is removed from the porthole how the entire Earth fills the porthole".

Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

Yesterday, we celebrated the 47th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, the historic initiative that landed astronauts on the moon. The only part of the Apollo 11 spacecraft to make it back to earth was the command module "Columbia," where astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin lived throughout the eight day mission.

Since its landing on July 24th, 1969, the Columbia has been kept sealed in plexiglass at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. That is, until recently, when the software company Autodesk was allowed a rare opportunity to use their high-tech 3D scanning equipment to create a simulation of the spacecraft that anyone on the internet can explore.

See interior and exterior in, Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

Quote from: Popular Mechanics, Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

So, Mr Total Lacking, are you still going to claim that "once the cardboard cutout is removed from the ( ;D squarish ;D) porthole how the entire ( ;D squarish ;D) Earth fills the porthole"?

Tou might (not) be interested in these:

"A Funny Thing..." Moon Conspiracy debunked pt 1 of 2, GreaterSapien

A Funny Thing..." Moon Conspiracy debunked pt 2 of 2,  GreaterSapien

Now what was your problem with "Blue marble (AS17-148-22727)" again?

?

frenat

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
So, the BLUE MARBLE!

There is no cardboard cutout.  Sibrel lied to you.  He lied about it being classified footage. He lied about it being a circular window (it was trapezoidal shaped).  And then he cut out part of the footage that proves him wrong.

The globe seen shows current for the time weather patterns and rotation.
described here
http://clavius.org/bibfunny7.html
and continued here
http://clavius.org/bibfunny8.html
but I bet you won't look at the video or read the links

?

dutchy

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
So, the BLUE MARBLE!

There is no cardboard cutout.  Sibrel lied to you.  He lied about it being classified footage. He lied about it being a circular window (it was trapezoidal shaped).  And then he cut out part of the footage that proves him wrong.

The globe seen shows current for the time weather patterns and rotation.
described here
http://clavius.org/bibfunny7.html
and continued here
http://clavius.org/bibfunny8.html
but I bet you won't look at the video or read the links
Why would anyone wants to check out the arguments of enthousiastic amatures when it comes to Apollo footage and the blue marble 'through a window ' ?
While the realworld award winning experts like David Percy and his fantastic aulis site, Massimo Mazzucco and Marcus Allen (also a former professional photographer contrary to the amatures at clavius ) put their award winning names at risk !!!!

So who is your award winning photographer who claimed the Apollo footage is 100% genuine ?
Why are there only enthousiastic amatures like Jay Windley & co defending the footage ?
Ready to give me some real names in defence of the Apollo footage ?
And 'lightguy' will not cut it ! ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:41:27 AM by dutchy »

Macarios

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:07 AM »
You can dismiss image that you don't like.
You can "discredit" lot of images that you don't like.
But it will take time.
Himawari group of Japanese meteorological satellites make new image every 10 minutes.
You can try to "discredit" each of them separately, or all of them together with satellites.
But it won't stop the satellites from doing their job, or blow them off the sky.

To smash them the way luddites smashed machines in the early 19th century, you would have to go to Space.
Fortunately, even if you could, you wouldn't, because you deny the Space. :-)

Anyone can visit this link, and see for themselves.
You can't stop people.
There can be set view in infrared or visible band, color or monochrome, and more.
You can set the animation (series of those images) which will show transition between day and night, and movement of cluds in "real time" (timelapse).
I've set period of 12 hours, image every 30 minutes, and fast animation (one image per 0.2 seconds), and I liked it.

I arranged below one image from there, once without (left) and once with (right) coastlines and lines of latitudes and longitudes.
Both times with header.
In upper part you can see East Asia and in lower part Australia.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:01 AM »
So, the BLUE MARBLE!

Who says that "the entire Earth fills the porthole"? Bart Sibrel? If he claimed that the sky was blue, I'd immediately race outside and double check!

So, I'd advise you to double-check all that he claims, such as, "once the cardboard cutout is removed from the porthole how the entire Earth fills the porthole".

Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

Yesterday, we celebrated the 47th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, the historic initiative that landed astronauts on the moon. The only part of the Apollo 11 spacecraft to make it back to earth was the command module "Columbia," where astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin lived throughout the eight day mission.

Since its landing on July 24th, 1969, the Columbia has been kept sealed in plexiglass at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. That is, until recently, when the software company Autodesk was allowed a rare opportunity to use their high-tech 3D scanning equipment to create a simulation of the spacecraft that anyone on the internet can explore.

See interior and exterior in, Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

Quote from: Popular Mechanics, Take a 3D Tour Inside the Apollo 11 Command Module

So, Mr Total Lacking, are you still going to claim that "once the cardboard cutout is removed from the ( ;D squarish ;D) porthole how the entire ( ;D squarish ;D) Earth fills the porthole"?

Tou might (not) be interested in these:

"A Funny Thing..." Moon Conspiracy debunked pt 1 of 2, GreaterSapien

A Funny Thing..." Moon Conspiracy debunked pt 2 of 2,  GreaterSapien

Now what was your problem with "Blue marble (AS17-148-22727)" again?
I am sorry...

Was there something in either of these videos that actually debunks the video I posted?

Sibrel had nothing to do with the footage depicted from 32:00 forward. Came straight from NASA.