What would it take?

• 12 Replies

Tessa Yuri

• The shortest distance between two points is a lie.
What would it take?
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:20:54 AM »
I heard an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson recently (sacrilege for an FEr, I know, but in my defense I had good reason). He said in regards to debating flat Earthers and other theorists that he asks the question "What would it take to convince you?"

He asks for what would convince people that they are wrong, then if he can provide that and they reject it, then clearly they aren't ready to be convinced, so arguing with them is pointless. RErs tend to agree with Neil, right?

So I turn the question around on round Earthers. What would it take to convince you that the Earth was flat?

And before anyone asks, it would take proof that there is zero probability (including a sound mathematical proof showing the probability as zero) of a flat Earth to convince me it was round. But if you want to debate that with me, I humbly ask you do so in another thread.
Tessa believes in the scientific method.
Yuri believes the Earth is a flat disk.
     _________              _________         _________
.<`X######I---I|    |I[][][][][][][][]I|     |I[][][][][][][][]I|
-=o--o====o--o=-=o-o====o-o=-=o-o====o-o=

Re: What would it take?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:35 AM »
I heard an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson recently (sacrilege for an FEr, I know, but in my defense I had good reason). He said in regards to debating flat Earthers and other theorists that he asks the question "What would it take to convince you?"

He asks for what would convince people that they are wrong, then if he can provide that and they reject it, then clearly they aren't ready to be convinced, so arguing with them is pointless. RErs tend to agree with Neil, right?

So I turn the question around on round Earthers. What would it take to convince you that the Earth was flat?

And before anyone asks, it would take proof that there is zero probability (including a sound mathematical proof showing the probability as zero) of a flat Earth to convince me it was round. But if you want to debate that with me, I humbly ask you do so in another thread.

There already is zero probability. Someone literally went into space and did a live stream of the event. Plus there's numerous photos of a globe.

At this point the evidence is too overwhelming for FET to ever be favoured.

rvlvr

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:09:46 AM »
I have to agree with above post.

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
What would it take to convince you that the Earth was flat?
Provide a working model of a flat Earth with predictive capability, capable of getting distances correct between locations on Earth, capable of predicting where the stars and planets should appear to be, which is logically consistent and has an explanation for these other than simply mapping a RE to a flat plane; additionally show a problem with the RE model which the FE model does not have.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
What would it take to convince you that the Earth was flat?
Provide a working model of a flat Earth with predictive capability, capable of getting distances correct between locations on Earth, capable of predicting where the stars and planets should appear to be, which is logically consistent and has an explanation for these other than simply mapping a RE to a flat plane; additionally show a problem with the RE model which the FE model does not have.

There are no problems with the RE "model", only misunderstandings and ignorance.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »

It would take for a flat Earth to supersede a spheroidal Earth as the champion explanation for numerous daily phenomenon. And I've seen the curvature of the Earth.

For several reasons, you seem to be asking for the impossible. For a standard so high that not even mathematics could provide it.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »

You will have to explain why you want zero probability when more than zero is accepted for many other situations.

I will not debate here, but ask you to consider measured distances and what accuracy you would require.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »

The stick, rule, phone etc didn’t do it for you. When was your interview? Was it recorded and do you have a transcript? Did you do a selfie with him? If so could you post it or are you talking just more FE bollocks.
Your question is akin to claiming the ability to fly by flapping ones arms. It’s never going to happen.
The earth is not flat, never has been never will be. remember gravity, possibly Neil mentioned that! doesn’t do flat it prefers spherical, and for good scientific reasons. You still don’t get the science thing do you? The way things are connected, the way they work!

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
A series of devastating neurological traumas.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »

I think is a fair question, but is really hard to answer when you are certain about something.  I guess i will have to go to space and see if the earth is flat or may be travel to south pole and find a wall of ice.

Just one thing, i think you should also be open to find yourself wrong. can you answer the same question in regard of a round Earth?

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
It’s almost impossible to convince -SOME- FETs because they will always throw out a vague truth like “The government is lying” or “That photo was faked” - This is my opinion, don’t get triggered
~Round-Earther~

Try to change my mind!

:)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
It would take God himself to tell me how it is. But since I am the next closest thing, good luck with that  8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:31:20 PM »

How about finding the edge of the damn thing!  No penguins, no NASA armed guards, no magic perspective effect nonsense; just find the edge.