the doppler effect

• 27 Replies
the doppler effect
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Are you familiar with the fact other galaxies are running away from ours?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: the doppler effect
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
Except for the ones hurling toward us.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »
There would be a collision then. But, in fact there isn't.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
There would be a collision then. But, in fact there isn't.

It's not 'then' yet.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Well, if you take in account the meeting with Santa, that will alter time.

Tessa Yuri

• The shortest distance between two points is a lie.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
As in, the universe is expanding? Universes are also moving with their own individual trajectories, and one, the Andromeda Galaxy, is on a collision course with the Earth. It will arrive in around 4 billion years.
Tessa believes in the scientific method.
Yuri believes the Earth is a flat disk.
     _________              _________         _________
.<`X######I---I|    |I[][][][][][][][]I|     |I[][][][][][][][]I|
-=o--o====o--o=-=o-o====o-o=-=o-o====o-o=

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
Gee, apparently neither me not earth would be there for the rendezvous.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
your retarted

Tessa Yuri

• The shortest distance between two points is a lie.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
You probably won't be, most likely the Earth will.
Tessa believes in the scientific method.
Yuri believes the Earth is a flat disk.
     _________              _________         _________
.<`X######I---I|    |I[][][][][][][][]I|     |I[][][][][][][][]I|
-=o--o====o--o=-=o-o====o-o=-=o-o====o-o=

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
Mr Bullwinkle, just what are those galaxies "hurling toward us"? I do hope it's nothing hazardous.
Then there are the ones hurtling towards us.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
Mr Bullwinkle, just what are those galaxies "hurling toward us"? I do hope it's nothing hazardous.
Then there are the ones hurtling towards us.

Hurling is slightly more unpredictable.   ;)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
The whole local cluster seems to be unaware of the moving-away doctrine. Should we let the other 53 galaxies know they are not acting right?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
The whole local cluster seems to be unaware of the moving-away doctrine. Should we let the other 53 galaxies know they are not acting right?

If they don't wanna know, forget 'em!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »
Hurling is slightly more unpredictable.   ;)
Especially when I'm hurling something!

Macarios

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Objects showing blue shift rush towards us.
"Hurling" is an Irish game resembling hockey, but we all know what was Bullwinkle using the word for.
Mocking his or anyone's spelling was rarely proof of anything in "exact" sciences.
Just pretend he said "hurrying" or something like that.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
You probably won't be, most likely the Earth will.

Possibly just as a burnt out husk.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »

What has other galaxies movement have to do with the Doppler effect? Totally unrelated. Unless you meant red shifting? Not everything is. Many of us (galaxies) are all on this roller coaster to the Laniakea Supercluster together. So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:45 PM »
"Hurling" is an Irish game resembling hockey, but we all know what was Bullwinkle using the word for.
Mocking his or anyone's spelling was rarely proof of anything in "exact" sciences.
I think Bullwinkle understood that I was joking, even if you didn't.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »

Aw, crap, now I have to go take back all those PM's I sent to the Mods.   ;D

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:16:45 AM »

Aw, crap, now I have to go take back all those PM's I sent to the Mods.   ;D
;) You must have got to them in time. I'm still here!  ;)

Macarios

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »

How many others understood? :-)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
This is another example of the topic, "the doppler effect", though not the OP.

Another example of the doppler effect on starlight.
Quote from: Matija Cuk
Is there a proof that Earth moves? (Intermediate)
How do we know that Earth and other planets go around the Sun, and not the opposite?
This is a very good question. For some time after it was accepted that planets (including Earth) circle the Sun, there was no direct proof that it is Earth that moves, and not the Sun.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
There was no straightforward proof for the motion of Earth until 1725 when James Bradley discovered stellar aberration. This is (apparent) yearly change in positions of all stars in the sky due to Earth's own motion. Aberration arises due to adding up of the speed of light coming from the star and Earth's own speed. This is a very complex phenomenon and its description requires some math.

Another, much simpler, consequence of Earth's motion is stellar parallax. If Earth changes its position relative to the stars, then the stars should appear to change position in the course of the year.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Parallax of a star was first measured by Bessel in 1838. It was not measured before because this change of star's apparent position is very small (the stars are very far from us). This was a very important discovery because Aristotle himself mentioned the lack of observable stellar parallax as the proof that the Earth is not moving (he didn't have a telescope and didn't know that the stars are so distant).

A third discovery proving Earth's motion was that of Doppler effect. Wavelength of the light that we receive from objects moving relative to us becomes a little shorter (i.e. bluer) when we approach the source and becomes longer (i.e. redder) when we move away from the source. When Earth moves toward a star, the star will appear slightly bluer (only high-tech instruments can measure this) while it will appear redder when Earth is on the other side of the orbit and moves in the opposite direction. This effect proves that Earth has a velocity relative to the stars, similar to aberration.

So, aberration (slight change in stellar positions due to Earth's speed), parallax (slight change in stellar positions due to Earth's changing position) and Doppler effect (slight change in color of stars due to Earth's speed) all prove that Earth is moving around the Sun, and not the other way round.

From:Ask an Astronomer, Is there a proof that Earth moves? (Intermediate)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:16 AM »
Unknown.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:23 AM »
Unknown.

He's the moose that walks on 2 legs. He's never serious

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:56 AM »

All the humans did, bots of your type have a hard times detecting humor.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 02:49:57 AM »
This is another example of the topic, "the doppler effect", though not the OP.

Another example of the doppler effect on starlight.
Quote from: Matija Cuk
Is there a proof that Earth moves? (Intermediate)
How do we know that Earth and other planets go around the Sun, and not the opposite?
This is a very good question. For some time after it was accepted that planets (including Earth) circle the Sun, there was no direct proof that it is Earth that moves, and not the Sun.
There was no straightforward proof for the motion of Earth until 1725 when James Bradley discovered stellar aberration. This is (apparent) yearly change in positions of all stars in the sky due to Earth's own motion. Aberration arises due to adding up of the speed of light coming from the star and Earth's own speed. This is a very complex phenomenon and its description requires some math.

Another, much simpler, consequence of Earth's motion is stellar parallax. If Earth changes its position relative to the stars, then the stars should appear to change position in the course of the year.
Parallax of a star was first measured by Bessel in 1838. It was not measured before because this change of star's apparent position is very small (the stars are very far from us). This was a very important discovery because Aristotle himself mentioned the lack of observable stellar parallax as the proof that the Earth is not moving (he didn't have a telescope and didn't know that the stars are so distant).

A third discovery proving Earth's motion was that of Doppler effect. Wavelength of the light that we receive from objects moving relative to us becomes a little shorter (i.e. bluer) when we approach the source and becomes longer (i.e. redder) when we move away from the source. When Earth moves toward a star, the star will appear slightly bluer (only high-tech instruments can measure this) while it will appear redder when Earth is on the other side of the orbit and moves in the opposite direction. This effect proves that Earth has a velocity relative to the stars, similar to aberration.

So, aberration (slight change in stellar positions due to Earth's speed), parallax (slight change in stellar positions due to Earth's changing position) and Doppler effect (slight change in color of stars due to Earth's speed) all prove that Earth is moving around the Sun, and not the other way round.

From:Ask an Astronomer, Is there a proof that Earth moves? (Intermediate)

Can we observe the doppler effect on the sun?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 04:10:38 AM »
Can we observe the Doppler effect on the sun?
The Doppler effect with stars is because at one time of the year the earth is approaching then at about 30.6 km/sec and six months later the earth is approaching the star at apout that rate.

There is a "sort of" Doppler effect on the spectral lines of the sun. All the atoms have such a high thermal velocity that the Fraunhofer lines are spread.

Then there is a Doppler shift from the sun's rotational velocity. The left edge is approaching at about 2 km/s, while the right is moving away at that velocity (if my numbers are right).

This has been used to measure the rotational velocity of the sun: The Rotational Period of the Sun Using the Doppler Shift of the Hydrogen alpha Spectral Line, Robert M. Gill.

I didn't know that it had been done, but guessed it was possible - live and learn. But as someone far more knowledgable than I said:
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
                   ― Albert Einstein

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »

Hurtling.  ::)