Properties that the Earth shares with a Round Earth

• 87 Replies
Properties that the Earth shares with a Round Earth
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »
So, here's the thread you asked for.

What properties of a round Earth does the one we live on not share?

Please present evidence that amounts to more than "I think this, therefore it is so."

Re: Properties that the Earth shares with a Round Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:04:01 AM »
Gonna kick this off with... hmm.  Let's see.

Everything.

Gravity (things fall down)?  Check.

Atmosphere?  Check.

Ooh, here's a good one.  If the Sun was rotating above the plane of a flat Earth, it would illuminate us ~6 hours before it reached us, right?  Which means that it would be to the northeast.

Here's a rough diagram.

Evidence of being able to fly to other nations without crashing in the ocean due to ridiculously distorted distances?  (Done it twice)  Check.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:56:35 AM »
Another important one:
The curvature of Earth getting in the way of distant objects, making them disappear from the bottom up as they move away?
Check.

Tessa Yuri

• The shortest distance between two points is a lie.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

Please present evidence that amounts to more than "I think this, therefore it is so."

A round Earth would present features that could not be explained within two dimensions. I'm sorry, but ultimately my argument is "I think this, therefore it is so," just as much as your argument is. There is no evidence for a round Earth in the current scientific literature that cannot be true of a flat Earth.

I think there are some misconceptions regarding my position, so I'm making a post clearly outlining what it is.
Tessa believes in the scientific method.
Yuri believes the Earth is a flat disk.
     _________              _________         _________
.<`X######I---I|    |I[][][][][][][][]I|     |I[][][][][][][][]I|
-=o--o====o--o=-=o-o====o-o=-=o-o====o-o=

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:40 AM »

A round Earth would present features that could not be explained within two dimensions. I'm sorry, but ultimately my argument is "I think this, therefore it is so," just as much as your argument is. There is no evidence for a round Earth in the current scientific literature that cannot be true of a flat Earth.

I think there are some misconceptions regarding my position, so I'm making a post clearly outlining what it is.
Our argument isn't 'I think this is so, therefore it is'.

There is a metric ton-weight of evidence supporting the round Earth (and the surrounding solar system).  From what direction does the sun rise for you in the morning?  How else do you explain lunar and solar eclipses?  (Note that an unseen black body would also blot out stars in the night sky.  It's called occultation.  No such blotting-out has been noted, over the thousands of years that man has been looking at the sky).

What, exactly, are your beliefs regarding the Earth and its surrounds?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 02:54:11 AM »

This might help explain.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:40 AM »
Tessa 7.5/10
Well above average, I'll let you play your game for now. I don't understand how you guys get a kick out of this but who am I to judge.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:31:38 AM »
but ultimately my argument is "I think this, therefore it is so," just as much as your argument is. There is no evidence for a round Earth in the current scientific literature that cannot be true of a flat Earth.
PURE BULLSHIT!
While your position might be a baseless assertion, there are mountains of evidence available for a round Earth.

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 03:38:29 AM »
but ultimately my argument is "I think this, therefore it is so," just as much as your argument is. There is no evidence for a round Earth in the current scientific literature that cannot be true of a flat Earth.
PURE BULLSHIT!
While your position might be a baseless assertion, there are mountains of evidence available for a round Earth.

It might be worth following the link a few posts up. This one.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:57:44 AM »
It might be worth following the link a few posts up. This one.
Not really.
It just shows more BS.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:30 AM »

This might help explain.
So basically your position is "I've seen the evidence and I accept that it all points toward the Earth being round, but I think the idea of a flat earth is a lot cooler, so I'm going to believe in that against all the evidence."

Along with a touch of "If I haven't personally experienced it, I don't believe it, so I'll feel free to ignore any of the evidence of the real world that interferes with my ideal world idea."

Is that about it?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »

This might help explain.
So basically your position is "I've seen the evidence and I accept that it all points toward the Earth being round, but I think the idea of a flat earth is a lot cooler, so I'm going to believe in that against all the evidence."

Along with a touch of "If I haven't personally experienced it, I don't believe it, so I'll feel free to ignore any of the evidence of the real world that interferes with my ideal world idea."

Is that about it?

Less "against all the evidence" and more "along with many scientific theories". But, yes otherwise pretty accurate.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »

Is that about it?

Less "against all the evidence" and more "along with many scientific theories". But, yes otherwise pretty accurate.
Okay.  So what's your physical idea of how the flat earth is shaped?  How the sun and moon are placed?  How solar and lunar eclipses work?

In short, how do you think it works?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 07:27:43 AM »
Okay.  So what's your physical idea of how the flat earth is shaped?  How the sun and moon are placed?  How solar and lunar eclipses work?

The flat Earth is flat, but has the properties of a sphere. Everything works as described by science, it's just also flat. That's not a statement of what I consider objective fact, that's just my belief, I don't think it's possible to have an objective fact.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »

This might help explain.

Is that about it?

Like I always say. Flat Earthism is a belief. A belief that requires rejection of proof, evidence and reality as long as those contradict the belief.

The earth isn't flat. They know it isn't flat. But they choose to believe it is and will argue from now until their flat earth flips over because they choose to believe it is.

That is exempting those who are to dumb to understand if the earth is really flat or round and just go with some guy on youtube cos he makes them feel amongst the woke ones.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:40:43 AM by SpaceCadet »

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »

This might help explain.

Is that about it?

Like I always say. Flat Earthism is a belief. A belief that requires rejection of proof, evidence and reality as long as those contradict the belief.

The earth isn't flat. They know it isn't flat. But they choose to believe it is and will argue from now until their flat earth flips over because they choose to believe it is.

I'm glad you didn't mention my rebuttal to that very point. It allows me to sarcastically link to it.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »

That is exempting those who are to dumb to understand if the earth is really flat or round and just go with some guy on youtube cos he makes them feel amongst the woke ones.

I so often wonder who looks more silly in these situations. The troll or the person being trolled.
BOTD member

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »

The flat Earth is flat, but has the properties of a sphere. Everything works as described by science, it's just also flat. That's not a statement of what I consider objective fact, that's just my belief, I don't think it's possible to have an objective fact.
So basically, you know the earth is a sphere, I know the earth is a sphere, but you choose to call it flat because it suits you to do so, and you'll never actually admit that it's a sphere.

That about it?

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:57 AM »

I so often wonder who looks more silly in these situations. The troll or the person being trolled.

Seriously!

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
So basically, you know the earth is a sphere, I know the earth is a sphere, but you choose to call it flat because it suits you to do so, and you'll never actually admit that it's a sphere.

That about it?

No, that's not it at all.

I think you believe the Earth is flat, you just won't admit it.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »

That about it?

No, that's not it at all.

I think you believe the Earth is flat, you just won't admit it.
I'm fully aware that the Earth is a sphere (okay, oblate spheroid).  I happen to believe it through personal experience, personal observation, and understanding the evidence that is presented to me.  It's easier to accept that than the concept that a huge conspiracy involving a large fraction of the human race has been concealing the 'flat Earth truth' from the rest of us from time immemorial.  Especially given that there's too much evidence of spherical Earth and none at all for flat Earth.

I've stood on the shore and watched ships sail over the horizon.  I've watched lunar and solar eclipses.  I've watched the sun come up in the east and go down in the west (yes, that's evidence).  I've watched the sun and moon maintain the same angular size as they travel across the sky (also evidence).  I've flown across the ocean in a 747-400 and gotten to America, twice.  I've also seen satellite footage, and live images of the Earth from space. 

All of this says to me that the Earth is round.  I'm just one human being, and my place in the grand scheme of things is very small, but I can see when something is bigger than me, and I can see the shape of the world, even if my eyes can't spot the curvature of the horizon.

That's my evidence.  What's yours?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm fully aware that the Earth is a sphere (okay, oblate spheroid).  I happen to believe it through personal experience, personal observation, and understanding the evidence that is presented to me.  It's easier to accept that than the concept that a huge conspiracy involving a large fraction of the human race has been concealing the 'flat Earth truth' from the rest of us from time immemorial.  Especially given that there's too much evidence of spherical Earth and none at all for flat Earth.

I've stood on the shore and watched ships sail over the horizon.  I've watched lunar and solar eclipses.  I've watched the sun come up in the east and go down in the west (yes, that's evidence).  I've watched the sun and moon maintain the same angular size as they travel across the sky (also evidence).  I've flown across the ocean in a 747-400 and gotten to America, twice.  I've also seen satellite footage, and live images of the Earth from space. 

All of this says to me that the Earth is round.  I'm just one human being, and my place in the grand scheme of things is very small, but I can see when something is bigger than me, and I can see the shape of the world, even if my eyes can't spot the curvature of the horizon.

That's my evidence.  What's yours?

I think it's fair to say me dictating your beliefs to you was pretty insulting to you. So in future, please don't tell me that I "know the Earth is a sphere".

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
I don't think it's possible to have an objective fact.
Well that's a interesting position to add to a debate between people who don't share your apparent love of mental masturbation in metaphysics.

By "interesting" I mean "completely useless".

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

Do you also believe that basketballs and soccer balls, say, are flat?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »

Yes :)

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »

Okay, great !  How about... eggs, coins, dice, elephants?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »

Okay, great !  How about... coins, dice, elephants?

Now that's a bit more of a stretch. I'm not quite sure, but at the moment I'm leaning towards yes.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

Okay, great !  How about... coins, dice, elephants?

Now that's a bit more of a stretch. I'm not quite sure, but at the moment I'm leaning towards yes.

Okay! So if those are yesses, are there any things don't you believe are flat?

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Well that's a relief. It's a statement of pure nonsense.
It is saying Earth is round, but it's flat.

What will be your next magic trick? A square circle?

please don't tell me that I "know the Earth is a sphere".
Why?
You have already accepted it has curvature and even said it has the properties of a sphere.
You didn't even say it has some of the properties of a sphere.
That sure indicates you know it is roughly spherical, and are just pretending it is flat because you like that idea, even though it is an insult to all scientists that have shown it is round.

Yes
Which further shows you are not using the common definition of flat.

By any chance, are you using flat to mean something along the lines of:
"having the form of a curve; bent."
or
"shaped like a circle or cylinder."

If so, I recommend you get a dictionary.

As for words being meaningless.
You seem to be discarding the common meaning of the word flat, and instead acting like everything in the universe is flat. Yet you don't seem to think that that would render "flat" meaningless, even though you think nothing being flat would?

Tessa Yuri

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
please don't tell me that I "know the Earth is a sphere".
Why?
Deep down, you know the Earth is flat. It's okay to accept it.

Yes
Which further shows you are not using the common definition of flat.
Again, the definition of 'flat' I am using is 'best represented as a plane'. If you aren't going to try to understand my position when you argue against it, I cannot help you here.